New class idea - Starting at high level + unique mechanic idea

Inzuher

Introduction

Alright so first I’ll be giving a short overview of the idea and then specify some things afterwards. However, let me start out by saying that I'll consider altering things based on feedback.

Class name: Fallen Jedi / Redeemed Sith.

Weapon: Lightwhip.

Class story: 1 chapter.

Starting Level: 40.

Reasoning

Now we've heard a lot of complains that you cannot change from republic to empire, and one of the reasons why you cannot have been that it wouldn't fit with your character's story. However, why not make the change a part of the story? Make a whole new class based on this idea, a jedi falling or a sith being redeemed. Now I thought to myself, what would the main problems be with this?

1) We already have 2 ways of playing a force user, therefore, it would be hard to make one more.

2) It is hard to make a whole class story staring the fall.

3) It would require a lot of resources to craft another class story.

Solution:

1) A way to make the force user experience different could be by using an exotic and really seen weapon, the forcewhip: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip That should be able to present some interesting middle range combat, that might differentiate a lot from the current classes if executed correctly.

Know characters who've used these unique weapons would be Lumiya and Githany.

Lumiya: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumiya

Githany: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Githany

2) Do like World of Warcraft did with the Death Knight, allow the character to start in a higher level, if you already have a character who have passed or is that level.

3) Since you start in level 40 you're chapter it starts where the other player's chapter 3 would. This limit the resources Bioware/EA would have to put into it.

How would starting in one faction and ending in another work?

Simple, the Fallen Jedi would be an imperial class and the Redeemed Sith would be a republic class. Story wise however you would start on the different faction and visit places like Coruscant on the Fallen jedi and Korriban on the Redeemed Sith etc.

How?

Well through the use of instances ofc. It has in fact already been done in one of the class stories:

In the end of the Jedi Knight story you storm Dromund Kaas, and is therefore placed in an instance separated from the rest of the world.

Let me know what you think of the idea, leave a comment :-)

Edited by Inzuher

While I would love to see a new class in TOR, this would not be one I would care to see. For various reasons, the first being, that it doesn't make sense. There are a total of 4 force users already in the game. Anymore is kind of overkill. Especially since you can already play a pretty nice and honorable sith or a mean rotten jedi. Why beat the proverbial horse?

On top of that, a new class would most likely be sold in the marketplace, even to subscribers, since a race like Cathar will be marketplace. I am all for the class being in marketplace BTW, the ammount of work, resources and time that goes into a class SHOULD be charged extra for. However, having a 10 level or 1 chapter storyline that we buy, just wouldn't be worth it. The best parts of any of the class quests lines IMHO is the prologue and the first chapter. I love developing a personality for my character, and 1 chapter doesn't leave much room for those choice moments.

Lastly, I am not a huge fan of force whips. That's something I am glad never made it into KOTOR games or the movie canon. SW:EU can keep that.