Star Wars Film Just Released and....

SaerethDL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats two years old my friend.

Exactly. Just shows we are playing one if not the very last legacy Lucasfilm games that probably has no interaction with Disney. We are a game in the "Legends" catagory and there is nothing wrong with that because many of us like the George Lucas SW and have a disdain for what came after.

These posts always get me. It's like people are ignorant to the fact that a company has multiple teams working on multiple games at a time.

While that's true, it isn't always true. Our raid designer worked on Anthem and ME:A iirc, drew worked on swtor and Anthem. Gaming corporations and EAWare shuffle staff around.

One of their requirements on being a game designer iirc was knowing how to work with the frostbite engine. Swtor doesn't use it.

Edited by Eshvara

Exactly. Just shows we are playing one if not the very last legacy Lucasfilm games that probably has no interaction with Disney. We are a game in the "Legends" catagory and there is nothing wrong with that because many of us like the George Lucas SW and have a disdain for what came after.

Just curious. Which version of the EU did you most enjoy? You know considering that Lucas had wiped it out three times previously. How did you feel about his stated plans to wipe it out again before starting the next trilogy? Were you cool with that because Lucas? What did you think of his plan for Episodes 7, 8 &9 to be all about Luke and Leia's pre-pubescent children being mentored by Jar Jar Binks? I guess you also liked Lucas' descisison to defy Disney and nix Revan from the Clone Wars series, and thus leave TOR up in the air as to canon?

So what are your feelings about Disney looking to do a TOR trilogy?

Just curious. Which version of the EU did you most enjoy? You know considering that Lucas had wiped it out three times previously. How did you feel about his stated plans to wipe it out again before starting the next trilogy? Were you cool with that because Lucas? What did you think of his plan for Episodes 7, 8 &9 to be all about Luke and Leia's pre-pubescent children being mentored by Jar Jar Binks? I guess you also liked Lucas' descisison to defy Disney and nix Revan from the Clone Wars series, and thus leave TOR up in the air as to canon?

So what are your feelings about Disney looking to do a TOR trilogy?

Chill out, fanboy. You do know that Star Wars is primarily aimed at children, right?

Edited by CrazyCT

Chill out, fanboy. You do know that Star Wars is primarily aimed at children, right?

Anyone who was a kid in 77 is now over 40, if they were aiming SW at kids they would be incompetent.

SW is as aimed at kids as COD or GTA.

If you are under 16 you are a child, so saying something is "for children" is like saying pacifiers are for children, most children over 3 would disagree, and i'm probably insulting a lot of 2yo.

But still full of adult themes? Like family betrayal? Love? War and death?

sorry, but I'll say it once again: SW is aimed at teens entering adulthood (like Luke himself in Ep IV), and adult people who enjoy the craft of a good sci-fi movie

Star Wars got so huge that it means different things to different people. And it appeals to several different demographics. That said, I like the direction Disney Star Wars is taking, as I liked much of George Lucas' run. YMMV and so on.

On topic: yeah, there's Kylo's lightsaber on direct sale right now. I'm debating myself if I'll buy the 800 CC I'm missing for the item or not. It's cool and I've been wanting it for a time, now, but maybe I can buy it on GTN.

Keep telling yourselves that, but George Lucas has always said it. Just because you desperately WANT it to be you for you, don't make it so.

So if you're 13 or 11 SW isn't for you, do you think that's what he meant? Lucas isn't exactly a good public speaker.

I seriously doubt he had any age group in mind when he made the movie, and that is besides the point, if Lucas had aimed the movie at 62 yo war veterans it would not be a movie for 62yo just because that was the initial objective.

This game is rated 13+, that's how absurd this argument is.

Keep telling yourselves that, but George Lucas has always said it. Just because you desperately WANT it to be you for you, don't make it so.

This would be the same George Lucas that has denied making the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special? If you google it you can find his original pitch to Fox, it wasn't kids he was aiming at, but a teen to young adult primarily male audience. That he didn't pitch a kid audience, and Fox didn't think there would be kid crossover from a more mature film is why they declined options for the toy line and other kid tie ins that made Lucas his fortune.

Sorry buy Lucas is the king of revisionist history. Google up his various explanations for why the light saber duels were so much more dynamic in the prequel trilogy than they were in the original trilogy. Or his various explanations of anything... up to and including the Star Wars Holiday Special...

Trying to remember back to promotions done during SWG...

I can only assume that it has more to do with Disney, perhaps, not really having anything directly to do with this game insofar as to say, "Hey, we're making this new movie-- make sure you put some stuff in your game to spread awareness of it!"

Whereas back in SWG just about every time you turned around they were trying to cram some sort of Prequel thing down our throat with promotions while we were begging for more stuff to be added from EU content relating around the original trilogy items.

Given things going on? I'd say doing movie tie-in products hasn't been a priority. But probably would be if they were making an Old Republic movie or series. Then you'd see more stuff like that.

As others have said though, they did put the kylo saber up for sale on the CM for the week. That is about the best you can hope for right now.

This would be the same George Lucas that has denied making the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special? If you google it you can find his original pitch to Fox, it wasn't kids he was aiming at, but a teen to young adult primarily male audience. That he didn't pitch a kid audience, and Fox didn't think there would be kid crossover from a more mature film is why they declined options for the toy line and other kid tie ins that made Lucas his fortune.

Sorry buy Lucas is the king of revisionist history. Google up his various explanations for why the light saber duels were so much more dynamic in the prequel trilogy than they were in the original trilogy. Or his various explanations of anything... up to and including the Star Wars Holiday Special...

This is reminding me of the time a student was arguing with Ray Bradbury about the meaning behind Fahrenheit 451. It doesn't matter what you want it to be, it's George Lucas's creation, and he can change it all he wants. J.R.R. Tolkien was constantly changing things in the Lord of the Rings world to fit later ideas, too.

But with R2-D2, C-3PO, Ewoks, Jar Jar, BB-8....... {No, it was never meant for kids.}

This is reminding me of the time a student was arguing with Ray Bradbury about the meaning behind Fahrenheit 451. It doesn't matter what you want it to be, it's George Lucas's creation, and he can change it all he wants. J.R.R. Tolkien was constantly changing things in the Lord of the Rings world to fit later ideas, too.

But with R2-D2, C-3PO, Ewoks, Jar Jar, BB-8....... {No, it was never meant for kids.}

I wouldn't exactly put Lucas on the level with Bardbury or Tolkein. That being said, Bradbury was always consistent concerning the meanings and images in his novels. Tolkein the same. While he rewrote major portions of Lord of the Rings to make it all fit while he was still writing it. He never went back and played revisionist on it, nor did any of his statements about meanings or images or audience ever self contradict themselves.

Ewoks and BB-8 were Lawrence Kasdan by the way, not Lucas. R2 and especially C3-PO, at least in their initial forms were not necessarily aimed at children as much as they were tropes common to ScyFy at the time. That leaves Jar Jar that you can solidly blame on Lucas....

If you really want to go down this rabbit whole, I suggest you look up Frank Herbert the We're too big to sue Lucas society to get exactly where he got his themes and their meanings.

Nothing, no news, no cool event, no special armor or weapon, no announcement of an expansion, no tie-ins... Ya'll must be allergic to money. :eek:

This game takes place like a 1000 years before Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, or Kylo Ren were ever born.

Why on earth would they include references or weapons or armor that mimic those things in game to things that won't happen for over a 1000 years to come? The saber was bad enough, we don't need more carbon copy items that have no basis for existing at the time and place the game occurs.

Than why not have Darth Vader's Mask, or Luke Skywalker's 'dustcropper' ship, or a ship that looks identical to the Millennium Falcon which are much more iconic references to Star Wars than Kylo Ren's underware?

Because it make's no sense in the timeline than. What 1000 year tie in do you think would be appropriate in game? An expansion that time travels the entire player base a 1000 years into the future?

For all the F'ed up things BW has done with this game, especially in the 5.x era, they did one thing right and they did a great job of it, they just spend a s**t ton of money on server mergers that have helped the game tremendously and breathed new life to all styles of game play [PVP ,Raiding, RP, etc.], and as critical as I [and other's] may be with many of the choices they have made, they did a bang up job with the server mergers. They bought a couple of more years for the game that without the server mergers would never have lasted that long.

The amount of money they must have put into the mergers must be extreme. Think maybe they need a little time after such a vast resource expenditure that they just made to re-coup a little, and when they do, God I hope they don't waste resources on stupid outfits that have no place in the time line of the game, or make carbon copy Kylo Ren douche-bag look alike costumes so we have 7000 geek looking whiny kinda sith but not really Kylo wanna be's running around every three feet on Fleet.

Leave the we all look alike style of dressing to the Jedi, Sith don't need nor want uniforms. They're individuals who blaze their own paths. That's what the Darkside is all about, "Me" first.

The server merges were note worthy, and just like when they mess up we come to the forums to bytch and moan, we should give BW their proper due when they do something good in like proportion. They deserve their due on money expenditures just made for the server mergers which was a great thing they did to help the game and it worked out much better than expected [cept for those who got D'ed out by the no west coast server], but even still, massive improvement to the overall value of the game experience. Game's got a few more years left in her now.

Kylo is by far the single worst "sith" ever. I don't get the envy, but, no accounting for taste.