Is there really a place for RP PVP servers?

brunen

it seems to me that the majority of the classes would not indulge in random acts of violence.

Jedis would not attack an enemy except as a last route.

BH wouldn't if they weren't paid.

Troopers wouldn't unless there was a reason.

Sith wouldn't, they'd look for a much more insidious way.

Smugglers wouldn't, they'd look for a discreet way out.

IA... not sure but I'm assuming they might if it were an attack of opportunity.

So, for me from a lore perspective, the idea of RP PVP simply doesn't fit in a SW game.

Thoughts?

But would they?

A trooper is a military man. He follows orders. Soldiers do not go off on their own and kill someone purely because it's a right place and time.

Sith Warriors, I can agree to an extent. But much like jedis, the sith DO work in other ways first. Warriors are usually sent out on specific missions. But possibly, yes.

Hmm.

I'd imagine the Trooper's PvP is justified. Our soldiers during the Iraq war were forced to do similar due to the suicide bombers and such.

People ran up to one of the vehicles?

They shot them. Ugly, but necessary in times of such madness.

And thusly the case here seems.

What does that have to do with being a place for RP PvP server?

If the players feel their shouldn't attack then they shouldn't attack until it becomes a necessity or the story pushes them down that road.

However not having a RP PvP choice would undermine any possibility of that, of players enjoying RP in a SWTOR universe where if by any chance their character was supposed to attack an enemy he could.

I think the lore issue whether they would normally attack or not has nothing to do with RP PvP having a place.

Edited by Thunores

Personally, I'd say that RP-PvP has a huge place in Star Wars, myself. It seems like something very much in the vein of star wars, and it would probably be awesome if it wasn't for the fact that it'll get ruined by the hardcore PvPers like every other game's RP-PvP servers do.

But would they?

A trooper is a military man. He follows orders. Soldiers do not go off on their own and kill someone purely because it's a right place and time.

QUOTE]

In theory this is correct, however soldiers in active war situations do have the right to take down the enemy where and when they are encountered unless specifically ordered not to. Otherwise soldiers would be at a disadvantage when faced with their enemies in unexpected situations.

As for the rest of what you said - tis true but if those rules were to be followed, it would make for a lame PVP game. ;-)

We're at war (Or at least we will be after x amount of class quests) Random acts of violence as you put it happen during war. No matter what class you are, during an open war you are going to find yourself killing. How many clone troopers did you see Yoda mow through after Order 66? The Jedi of this era are more accustomed to war and all that entails than what you've seen in the movies and read in most of the EU.

Listen, if someone is deeply troubled by random violence happening in the game because it's lore-breaking, then they can go to RP-PVE. But, I think it would be far more interesting to simply have the open decision to attack or not. If someone roleplaying a Jedi doesn't believe in killing just anyone they see, then they can make that decision. Just like whoever is on the other end of it, no matter their class, can make that decision as well.

As someone who will probably be an Imperial Agent, if I'm attacked by a Jedi Knight, I'll just believe they are defending themselves from a known threat to the area. If I'm attacked by a Smuggler, it may be because he wants my credits or gear to pay off a debt. If I'm attacked by a Trooper, perhaps he's following orders to disable any Imperials on sight. And if I'm attacked by a Consulor... well, I'll just assume I was somehow just interrupting their meditation.

To answer the question yes to rp-pvp. Watch the intros if that dont answer watch the holonet time lines again to end the hyper space war they litterally killed off almost all the sith. Mass genocide you think the jedi's wernt down there killing them? Why do you think that is? Might be because to let them live is to let evil spread again.

Case and point, you wouldnt let say a flesh eating virus live if you could wipe it out would you? So you have to kill some ppl in the process to contain it o well. Ok to sum up jedi if you arnt going to read about them in novels or what not they are not paladins in dnd. I know that just broke some ppls hearts but its true. Jedi's were based of shaolin monks. Thats where lucas came up with jedi sure he added "jedi powers and lightsabers." And b4 someone starts up with what you talking bout willis pull up history of shaolin monks and how the emporor almost wiped their order out. Only a handful remained. Jedi are warrior monks basicaly.

Edited by morganlion

Jedis would not attack an enemy except as a last route.

BH wouldn't if they weren't paid.

Troopers wouldn't unless there was a reason.

Sith wouldn't, they'd look for a much more insidious way.

Smugglers wouldn't, they'd look for a discreet way out.

IA... not sure but I'm assuming they might if it were an attack of opportunity.

I see how this appears logical but you lost a key element here. Ppl /aliens in starwars arnt always perfectly logical.

Jedi's arnt paladins they will kill a enemy obi cut some dudes arm off think about that seriously over a misunderstanding. He says one line. Alien touched luke, off with his arm. Ask yourself why didnt he use his mind powers with the *hand wave* "hes not worth it"

Troopers, will kill a enemy soon as it was sighted less they got the order to stand down. Go talk to a vet. Sith started the war for revenges sake so yes they would kill anything and everything hell they kill their own masters if they can take em.

Smugglers are criminals pure and simple "han shot 1st" criminals do what ever they please money is just a tool to get what they want.

IA ok they are litterally the castopo secret police check out ww2.

"I trust ppl to be ppl, and thats why i dont trust them" give that line some thought.

Keep in mind also that not every RP character is a "Mary Sue" that idealizes the class.

Think about the kind of trooper that isn't 'honorable' but uses his gun to talk and roughs up people. Or a sith that strikes fear in people by randomly killing.

In truth the PVP aspect gives a new opportunity for roleplay, not just the chance to kill, but the opportunity to abstain as well. Nothing strikes fear in to you quite as much as turning around to see a max level opposing faction character staring right at you. But, at the moment when you're think they're going to kill you, they /bow and kill the mob you're shooting. The PVP servers add another layer of depth to the RP, and add a little excitement in the mix as well.

Keep in mind also that not every RP character is a "Mary Sue" that idealizes the class.

What he said. Not everything is black and white. Star Wars Clone Wars series plays on this a lot with the Clones (troopers), some follow orders, some don't, some don't want to be troopers (was an episode where a clone ran away to become a farmer and have kids), there was a clone that cut off the fingers of the dead (droid fingers) and made a necklace out of them (which is a criminal offense). So you can't just brand a troopers as someone that sits around and follows orders. And that is where the role playing comes in.