World PvP

Absit

Why have so few people discovered world PvP? This forum is filled with complaints about warzones and Ilum, gear progression etc and lack of things to do beyond dailies. Did you know there's world PvP?

What's that? You don't want to because there are no rewards? What's the point you say?

Fun.

PvPers PvP for fun.

Stop saying PvPers are bored, we're having a blast causing all kinds of crap around the galaxy. PvP grinders are bored.

Why have so few people discovered world PvP? This forum is filled with complaints about warzones and Ilum, gear progression etc and lack of things to do beyond dailies. Did you know there's world PvP?

What's that? You don't want to because there are no rewards? What's the point you say?

Fun.

PvPers PvP for fun.

Stop saying PvPers are bored, we're having a blast causing all kinds of crap around the galaxy. PvP grinders are bored.

I agree... somehow the magic Pvp fairy needs to come and TELL EVERYONE WHERE TO GO TO PEW PEW THOU...

Not sure how TM/Soutshore got started... just feels like nothings caught fire in SWTOR yet...

also once it starts the Pubs may evaporate from the insane side imbalance...

1 on 3 ... umnnn ok

1 on 8 ... err ... whats the point again...

weird.

Edited by VoidJustice

Fun.

PvPers PvP for fun.

There is no incentive and this horse has already been beat.

It isn't a bored issue. It isn't even a world issue because lets face it, some of the planets look utterly amazing. It is, however, a issue that you rearely see anyone of the opposing faction because of the instance / sharding feature. I was level 28 before I saw my first imperial on Alderaan. Go figure.

Let you and I be honest here for a second, huh? A world pvp kill, in its current form, isn't anything more but a instant gratification, a thrill, that is shortly lived.

Nothing else comes out of it other than maybe some frustration on the receivers end of it...

[Mind of a PVE'er]

Let you and I be honest here for a second, huh? A world pvp kill, in its current form, isn't anything more but a instant gratification, a thrill, that is shortly lived.

[Mind of a PVP'er]

again!!! again!!! nice fight!

No offense... it's just that back in my day... which was a Wed...

You weren't a PVP'er cause you had the gear...

You weren't a PVP'er cause you were teh best...

You weren't a PVP'er cause you were l33t

You were a PVP'er cause you prefered fighting humans over AI.

Edited by VoidJustice

It isn't a bored issue. It isn't even a world issue because lets face it, some of the planets look utterly amazing. It is, however, a issue that you rearely see anyone of the opposing faction because of the instance / sharding feature. I was level 28 before I saw my first imperial on Alderaan. Go figure.

Nothing else comes out of it other than maybe some frustration on the receivers end of it...

agreed

Thank you, you're a perfect example of the kind of person that's not a PvPer, maybe a PvP grinder, but not a PvPer.

Also, I can go to Alderaan, Tatooine, and Hoth and find Imperials instantly.

Who wants to kill lowbies you say? I'm a griefer you say?

You might not understand how social structures work. But generally, if a lowbie at this point gets killed by a 50, they either hop on their alt, call their guild, call in general/PvP chat, or all of the above. Next thing you know you have a massive group coming your way. This builds until people stop coming back.

Edited by Absit

Fun.

PvPers PvP for fun.

I believe the problem is that PvP'ers will PvP for fun if the fun is the only thing available. I bet if there were no Cent/Champ/BM sets or valor ranks, people would be fighting on random planets much more often; just for the hell of it. They'd get their gear from PvE like in the old days of MMO's. However, when you put a dangly shiny object in front of people, and then explicitly forbid progression towards that object anywhere besides instanced warzones and a single planet, where do you think the majority of players are going to end up?

I'm agreeing with this. I was busting heads as soon as I was on Tatooine, blasting imps off ledges and then fighting the friends they invited (and still killing some of them occasionally). You win some, you lose some, but the feeling of wandering the land just to do a quick imp scan of the area? THAT is world-pvp. People are looking for constant thrill, but it's the golden moments in between that really stand out.

I've also partnered up with people that were getting sick of being ganked and we gave them their sh*t right back to them in a platter. Again, you win some, you lose some, it's awesome.

Go be an adventurer instead of a "hey bioware gimme gimme" chump. Those people play within the box; open-world pvp is about being outside of it.

I don't think it has as much to do with gear as it does with the kind of people playing the game.

I'm indifferent toward PvP gear and rewards beyond the same thing a PvE guy can get. I like the idea of a stat that helps in PvP so PvPers have an advantage, but it does encourage PvP grinding. That said, it doesn't discourage random world PvP at all. There's no reason you can't do your dailies while or before hitting some random planet and wrecking someone's day.

Thank you, you're a perfect example of the kind of person that's not a PvPer, maybe a PvP grinder, but not a PvPer.

Also, I can go to Alderaan, Tatooine, and Hoth and find Imperials instantly.

Who wants to kill lowbies you say? I'm a griefer you say?

You might not understand how social structures work. But generally, if a lowbie at this point gets killed by a 50, they either hop on their alt, call their guild, call in general/PvP chat, or all of the above. Next thing you know you have a massive group coming your way. This builds until people stop coming back.

I'm not sure you are playing the same game I am nor do I believe you understand my stance. Let me clear it up for you.

1. I come from DaOC which "IS" a pvp based game without a grind for gear. Not sure if you ever played it, but it wasn't for faint of heart. Especially if you played on Mordred. Anyway - to my point. In that space you pvp for a reason. To take keeps, relics, open Darkness Falls, or just roam the frontier for realm points.

2. Realm points in said game are tied to abilities, not gear. Ladder based system whereas anyone and everyone had the same "oppertunity" to gain points and ranks at their own pace. Group is faster, but less points. Solo yields max realm points per kill but may be slower going. Stealth could control gates, everyone else roam - whatever you want, it did it.

3. Reason for playing or doing world PvP. Gain points, gain ranks, gain abilities, and see your avatar on the week leader boards. Guilds, class, overall, alliance, etc.

Stwor, while a fine game, doesn't have this. It has warzones. It rewards gear. It has a broken Ilum world pvp zone that has potential but people abuse it to finish faster and get the shiny object faster. More, better, quicker, EASIER. Let us now talk about population issues between factions. On the server I play on, PvP mind you, we threw together a ops group last night, during prime time mind you, of about 21. Best we could do. Imperial side still out numbered us almost 3 to one in every fight no matter what we did.

Fun? Initiall yeah. But after a bit it is a non starter.

Now let us go back to your follow up post. In the game we are currently playing there "IS NOT ANY INCENTIVE" to do any form of world pvp other than a short term thrill. It rewards nothing, it isn't done by anyone, and honestly does nothing more than cause other subscribers frustration "REGARDLESS" if they rolled on a PvP server. Now...you may be asking, but WHY?

Because there really isn't any reason to go back to other planets outside of datacrons or helping friends. If you want, by all means go to the outlaw den on Tat. But guess what, no one will be there. They can use that time to roam in Ilum where they can gain something - or try to. Or they will stay in the WZ's and grind their merry way to BM's or stuff.

Until the developers decide on what they want to do with PvP there really isn't a reason to do it. No matter how hard either of us (you or I) stand on tables, yell at one another, and beat on our chests, it isn't going to change the fact of this:

1. there already is a large zone that provides roaming and rewarded pvp

2. Valor isn't granted outside Ilum in any other planet

3. Win trading is still faster no matter how the "elitests" try to change it

4. Nothing you do is a bannable offense in regards to 1, 2, or 3 above

So calling me a grinder (maybe of coffee) is pretty much wrong. Visit my server and we can see how I roll out in Ilum. One of the few who actually form ops groups and work at roaming pvp with target assist to complete stuff.

I did play DAOC, great PvP system, we're not getting that.

But out of your wall of text, my point remains. PvP for fun, go to the world. You say no one goes back except to help friends. That's what I'm relying on. People have alts by now, call your friends. You brought up Ilum, I never mentioned it, screw it.

What it comes down is you need a reason to PvP. PvPers I don't.

Because of the Non shared overlaping in this game of areas the games pvp is flawed.

Alderaan, Tatooine, Voss, Belsavis, Quesh, basically all the planets except the first 2 for each faction should have been fully open world pvp.

As we see on Ilum the problem arises that when you get the cap of 300 players on a planet it seems to shut down...a design flaw.

The game is on such a simple engine that it can not handle 300 players in one area at a time.

But you ask we have phasing. yes so whats the issue with them when they created the game , since the dang planets are basically the same designs anyway...why not just save money and just insert the story quests to function throughout the planets and have player levels the same on all the planets...

No idea why. I am sure they have a reason but for the life of me I just do not know why Taris is 15 levels different for Empire then Republic. The layout is exactly the same.

Alderaan, Tatooine...why are these different levels for each faction?

This promotes Guild Ganking when the faction that has the higher level wants to do it.

So obviously the ganking issue is not the reason.

The phasing issues can't be, because there is phasing that kicks in at 150 population.

On PvE servers the cross over is not an issue.

If they say Story is then they are BSing us. Story is story, no matter where you are on a planet.

Alderaan and Belsavis are the perfect example of where Open world PvP would be functional. Belsavis more so because at least both factions are near enough to each others level to have it be fun.

It is a very bizzare reasoning that they went this route