Why does Lord Zash keep her old name when she receives her Darth title?

saclea

The first time you hear about her, she is refferd to as Lord Zash. So I assume that's either her firstname or surname. Later in the story line, she becomes a Darth. Usually when one receives his/her Darth title, s/he gets a new name. Which (most of the time) means something too.

For example Dart Vader, frominvader. Darth Sidious, from insidious. You also have this in-game. Darth Decimus, because he decimates the enemy numbers (?), Darth Ravage because....well, that one is pretty obvious :rolleyes:

Anyways, she remains Darth Zash and I wonder why. I believe it was Thanaton who gave her her title. Since she needs to come to his office, and when you return to her she is Darth Zash. Perhaps Thanaton was mad because of the Skotia incident and decided to troll her? Then he better gave her a really humiliating name :rak_01:

It's a choice, it seems. Some decide to pick a new name when receiving the title of "Darth", other don't.

Despite conflicting sources, it seems Revan was the real name of "Darth Revan", despite sources claiming it comes from "Revanchist" (Basically, the comic not by the game's writer claims Revan is a contraction of Revanchist, the novel "Revan" by the game's writer claims Revan is his true name.)

Same goes for Darth Malak. "Malak" in the Star Wars universe means nothing. It's just a deformed "Alek", his name.

Taking a new name is a tradition that, much like the Darth title itself is not always used. Different orders have stressed it to different levels over the history of the Sith and none have been totally consistent one way or the other.

The Brotherhood of Darkness- invited Dessel to take a new name, he became Bane. Githany on the other hand remained Githany.

Bane's Order of the Sith Lords- his own apprentice kind of did both, abandoning her childhood name (Rain) to take on her real one, Zannah. Zannah's apprentice, The Huntress became Darth Cognus.

The Movies- Maul's real name is Maul. Count Dooku has the Sith name Tyranus but mostly goes by Count Dooku.

In this Empire I've never seen it suggested. It's possible that since these Sith prize bloodlines and ties to the past, taking a new name is not encouraged. It doesn't seem to be discouraged either. Malgus' real name is Veradun. And I doubt the Dark Council members were named Ravage, Mortis and Marr at birth.

Another thing to note is, a lot of Sith who chose a new name did so when their Sith training began, not when it ended with the ascension to Darth. So "Zash", if it is a chosen name, may have been chosen during her Korriban days.

Edited by CrutchCricket

Another thing to note is, a lot of Sith who chose a new name did so when their Sith training began, not when it ended with the ascension to Darth. So "Zash", if it is a chosen name, may have been chosen during her Korriban days.

This is how I assumed it works. When you become Sith you leave your old life and your old name behind. Presumably some choose to change their name again later, on being promoted, but others don't.

Taking a new name is a tradition that, much like the Darth title itself is not always used. Different orders have stressed it to different levels over the history of the Sith and none have been totally consistent one way or the other.

And this idea of tradition allows it to tie nicely into the storyline, where her big post-Skotia adversary is Thanaton, a traditionalist. He would no doubt sternly disapprove, but Zash herself would take that disapproval as a sort of reverse compliment - "if my adversary doesn't like it, I must be doing something right..."

Well, my idea, anyway.

The first time you hear about her, she is refferd to as Lord Zash. So I assume that's either her firstname or surname. Later in the story line, she becomes a Darth. Usually when one receives his/her Darth title, s/he gets a new name. Which (most of the time) means something too.

For example Dart Vader, frominvader. Darth Sidious, from insidious. You also have this in-game. Darth Decimus, because he decimates the enemy numbers (?), Darth Ravage because....well, that one is pretty obvious :rolleyes:

Anyways, she remains Darth Zash and I wonder why. I believe it was Thanaton who gave her her title. Since she needs to come to his office, and when you return to her she is Darth Zash. Perhaps Thanaton was mad because of the Skotia incident and decided to troll her? Then he better gave her a really humiliating name :rak_01:

Darth Vader = Dark Father (Vader = Father in Dutch I think)

Just wanted to correct that ;) .

Lord Zash bad, Darth Zash still bad.

Palpatine "good", Darth Sidious bad.

"Dooku" "good", Darth Tyrannus bad,

Master Anakin good, Darth Vader bad.

Knight Jacen Solo good, Darth Caedus bad.

and the list goes on.

There seems to be a pattern here probably.

Edited by MusicRider

Darth Vader = Dark Father (Vader = Father in Dutch I think)

Just wanted to correct that ;) .

Just a funny coincidence. In universe he has no reason to call himself father and behind the scenes when Vader got his name he wasn't yet supposed to be Luke's father.

I always took the Revan/Malak thing as bioware not having written "pre-sith" names for them, as the names seem to stem from "Revenge" and "Malice," but maybe I'm mistaken.

As for some of the other names, like Nox/Imperius/Occlus, not sure where those names draw inspiration--they don't seem like the typical modifications of hostile words.

I As for some of the other names, like Nox/Imperius/Occlus, not sure where those names draw inspiration--they don't seem like the typical modifications of hostile words.

I believe those were based on Latin words. Nox means something like night, darkness etc. And wookiepedia says you recieve Imperius for serving the empire. Not sure about Occlus..

Edited by saclea

It may be a reference to the roots of "occult" or "occluded", implying "hidden" or "closed off".

That's what it means, yeah. When Marr gives you the title he says something like, "While your intentions are unclear... Darth Occlus."

Although the inquisitor receives a new name, presumably it's still up to the character (i.e. you, as the role player) to decide whether your inquisitor will start using his/her new name, or stick to the old one (but keep the title. Kind of like Dooku still going by his birth name, but still having a title).

At the end of the day, it seems like it's very much a matter of personal preference.

Probably a good thing, cause otherwise sith would run out of evil-sounding-name-like-words to use real fast =P There are only so many words that can make decent sith titles...

and the list goes on.

That's quite interesting. I think you have a good point there and that that might indeed be the answer. Awesome that you noticed it!

and the list goes on.

Bad news for all light side Sith Inquisitor characters, then. :D