New scam lows!

Tachenko_Yuri

TRE: Imperial side.

About 2 weeks ago, guy was going WTT something for a rancor mount.

Asked him what he wanted. With the " pretext " of him being a pref , asked for a cyborg hand, the only one listed, at more than a mill.

Between the pref story and that being the only item on GTN, story almost seemed legit.

Bought said cyborg hand. After notifying him, and grouping him up, has bolted.

Scammed much. Then, Insult to injury, worked out it on how, most likely, said cyborg hand was listed by one of his alts.

But nevermind that, and ofc not expecting on bioware to do anything about him, or my credits.

It's just that today, said folk was at it again, with black dyes, vectron christmassy mounts and stuff.

The gold spammers aren't going to get stopped, and definetly not this guy(s). So.. when you see fleet spammed with a good deal too good to be true, it most likely isn't true after all.

Just a heads up to folks to not make my same mistake ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TRE: Imperial side.

About 2 weeks ago, guy was going WTT something for a rancor mount.

Asked him what he wanted. With the " pretext " of him being a pref , asked for a cyborg hand, the only one listed, at more than a mill.

Between the pref story and that being the only item on GTN, story almost seemed legit.

Bought said cyborg hand. After notifying him, and grouping him up, has bolted.

Scammed much. Then, Insult to injury, worked out it on how, most likely, said cyborg hand was listed by one of his alts.

But nevermind that, and ofc not expecting on bioware to do anything about him, or my credits.

It's just that today, said folk was at it again, with black dyes, vectron christmassy mounts and stuff.

The gold spammers aren't going to get stopped, and definetly not this guy(s). So.. when you see fleet spammed with a good deal too good to be true, it most likely isn't true after all.

Just a heads up to folks to not make my same mistake ;)

Sorry to hear. Did you report them? There is nothing BW can do but if enough player report them than BW will have grounds to do something.

What grounds? BW should not be in the business of protecting people from their own stupidity.

For creating a toxic player environment. BW and any MMO company has the right to ban your account for no reason. They can choose that they no longer want to conduct business with you.

For creating a toxic player environment. BW and any MMO company has the right to ban your account for no reason. They can choose that they no longer want to conduct business with you.

If every gaming company did this....MMO's would not exist.

How is one able to form a community...and filter out the toxic people. Im not sure that is even possible.

I don't see the problem.

In fact, what would have been an even better scam is if the person you wanted to trade with stuck around to trade for the cyborg piece you bought. Then they would get the money from the GTN and they would get the item back... and on top of that, you wouldn't even know you've been scammed!

Assuming he actually had the mount, of course.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

I don't see the problem.

In fact, what would have been an even better scam is if the person you wanted to trade with stuck around to trade for the cyborg piece you bought. Then they would get the money from the GTN and they would get the item back... and on top of that, you wouldn't even know you've been scammed!

Assuming he actually had the mount, of course.

Trading a rancor mount for a lousy cyborg arm is a bit over the top. Thats what should've made this scam very obvious to me. I dont know......i just avoid them all...if somebody whispers me and ask for something on the GTN, i tell them to get lost.

How is one able to form a community...and filter out the toxic people. Im not sure that is even possible.

Just like any membership based organization has the right to deny membership to someone if that person is causing problems for other members. If a member keeps causing other members to leave is it worth having that member there? Just because you have a membership doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want. If you are causing enough other members grief than yes a company has right to step in and protect its members.

Just like any membership based organization has the right to deny membership to someone if that person is causing problems for other members. If a member keeps causing other members to leave is it worth having that member there? Just because you have a membership doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want. If you are causing enough other members grief than yes a company has right to step in and protect its members.

I totally agree with you, but

MMO registration doesnt work that way unfortunately. Its up to us to filter our own garbage out and take it to the end of the driveway. Its a bit unfortunate that the trash truck never shows up though.

Wasn't there a thread about this exact same happenstance just yesterday or the day before? IIRC, it was the exact same item, a rancor. Also it might have been the exact same server, the only difference is the gtn item, a cyborg piece instead of a rare crystal.

At least the last guy got a rare crystal for his trouble. I really don't get it though. Cyborg pieces go for next to nothing, if not just destroyed, on my server anyway. A cyborg hand in the millions would have set off my alarm bells. I would hope it stands to reason that you will never do this again OP. For those just in case times though, just always reply that, "oh wouldn't ya know it, I just happen to have that exact item in my cargo, meet me there now!" That should work, and never buy off the gtn, just give the credits. For my pref status friends, I just get one of their sub friends to get the money, a trusted friend they choose.

I totally agree with you, but

MMO registration doesnt work that way unfortunately. Its up to us to filter our own garbage out and take it to the end of the driveway. Its a bit unfortunate that the trash truck never shows up though.

How often does it get reported? When people believe that nothing is going to be done why report it? It is this attitude why nothing can be done. If nothing is reported how can any company do something?

Prefect example credit seller that spam fleet. What faction of the community reports them? I'm willing to bet most people place them on ignore and that its. I know there going to be bunch of people that say I report everyone I see. I don't report them unless I am on fleet for an extend period and most of time and even then its only if I'm watching fleet chat. I can't expect BW do something if I'm not doing my part.

I just ignore all WTT, most of them are moronic even if they're not scams.

That said, let's not engage in the typical idiocy of "blame the victim" -- the person in the wrong in the scammer, 100%.

'Victim' implies a misfortune, like, beyond your control. If a guy walks up to me and tries to trade me an empty candy wrapper for $100 and I agree, I'm not really a victim.

This is nothing new. Its been going on for a long time. My advice is to never never buy anything for anybody that wants something because they dont have the means themselves to buy. To me this scam is so obvious...i dont know why or how people can fall for this.
^^^This right here in bold red !!!! It is obvious as hell though... But yeah I agree there needs to be something done but it will go like all the other scams, hacks, exploits, goldfarming in this game,,, NOTHING,,, They have done nothing to prevent them and will not do anything to prevent them, if they did then you wouldn't see so many goldfarmers at the fleet, its 10x worse than I have ever seen it of late...

Yeah, apparantly common sense is a superpower these days...

I don't get how people can go through their lives being that gullible.

If someone asks you to buy something off the GTN for millions and wants to trade you something for it in return, just demand the item they're trading first... if they give you the item, then sure, buy whatever the heck they want.

If they claim they can't trust you, then just claim the same back and move on.

How is this honestly even a scam? And I say that not to be insulting - but if you have to buy something specific to trade for something you aren't even sure they have - I mean...that just sounds like common sense?

Best way to guage these things is "would I do this OUTSIDE of the game" - if some guy comes up to and says "I can't show it to you, but I have a 1969 Stingray at home, and i'll trade it to you for something I need you to buy at that store over there" - would you really say "Sure!!!" - come on,.

People need to be more cautious about these "deals" -- no one is arguing otherwise, I think.

That doesn't change the fact that the scammers bear 100% of the moral/ethical culpability. They're the ones who are knowingly attempting to deceive someone else, they're the ones who know what's really going to happen, and in some cases take advantage of the target's willingness to be helpful.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Well, for one, scammers wouldn't be welcome. That's not hard to figure out. There might be fine lines for some behaviors (such as trolling or rude people), but scamming is clearly not welcome anywhere. I mean, it's no wonder con artists (who perform in the street) would get beat up so often if they are found out.

Edited by lpsmash

Oh, but I'm not denying my real gullible moment right then. Even let it slip, since I put the said hand on the GTN at the same amount or creds I was parted with, and sold.

I simply saw that guy " at it " again today in chat, so it just wasn't a cheeky one-off at my expense, and whilist for me a mill has become " pocket creds " , for others may not be the case.

I feel your pain OP.

If Bioware won't do anything, we should do it something ourselves. I know outing someone on the forums isn't allowed, but for scam wise, it should be. This way, they will get a rep amongst the forums and soon, it will spread into the game and then they will get ignored.

What grounds? BW should not be in the business of protecting people from their own stupidity.

True... BUT.. if a player character is reported numerous times for the same thing.. it very likely gets flagged for higher level review and action. Why? Because multiple reports of attempts (or successes) at scamming = a pattern of attempted griefing of other players. Such a pattern of behavior is actionable if Bioware chooses.

ALWAYS report this stuff... even if you think it is not in direct violation of ToS/EULA. Bioware needs to be at least made aware of a pattern of negative behavior. When and how they do anything about it is of course up to them... so yeah players need to play smartly, because pre-school supervision rules do not apply in an MMO.

Edited by Andryah

How often does it get reported? When people believe that nothing is going to be done why report it? It is this attitude why nothing can be done. If nothing is reported how can any company do something?

Prefect example credit seller that spam fleet. What faction of the community reports them? I'm willing to bet most people place them on ignore and that its. I know there going to be bunch of people that say I report everyone I see. I don't report them unless I am on fleet for an extend period and most of time and even then its only if I'm watching fleet chat. I can't expect BW do something if I'm not doing my part.

/Agree.

I report everything I see. So that there is a record of it to Bioware. If everyone did this.. they would have firm patterns of behavior to action against.. rather then trying to figure out random silliness from serious attempts to grief.

I ALSO let it go once I have reported it. Because it is up to Bioware to review and decide on action, not us.

Edited by Andryah