Guild size limits

Dificeman

Is there any discussion on increasing or removing all together the max size limit for guilds? My guild is extremely huge. We have had to create 4 or 5 guilds just on the republic side due to size limits on the guilds currently in the game. I would imagine our empire side of the guild is even larger.

I am not sure why a limit on guild size was even put in place as to my knowledge most MMO's now a days have done away with this. While we have created a chat channel so that we can all talk to each other it is rather a PITA to try to get a group together for stuff as we are not able to just pull up the guild window to quickly look at who is on and what level.

If youa t any point later on add in any type of actual guild achievments this is only going to compound the problem for us. We already are going to have to figure out which of our guilds will actually be the main guild bank etc when those are put in and how to manage and proirtize those. This is not going to be an easy feat across multiple guilds that are all part of the same guild. Already my wife is in one version of our guild and I am in another.

I know yall have alot on your plate fixing current issues and other things that are higher proity, but any kind of response to let us know this is atleast going to be looked at at some point would be nice. Thank you.

Member of Old Timers Guild

• 1 year later...

I am SO glad someone has posted this. I spoke with a game master and they told me to post here and try to get the attention of the Studio since they reserve the right on the guild limits.

I understood when we first kicked off (we are a pre launch guild) and folks were working their toons to 50 however we are also struggling with multiple alt guilds and then folks wind up playing another toon more for whatever reason and you have to do a lot of juggling to keep your members. It is impossible to chat with each other without mucking up general chat. I wonder if the studio would shift the membership limit to a Legacy name since the Legacy concept came out after launch. That would be a really big help. Oh and we are on the Empire side by the way.

Simple math Studio folks... 50 members with 10 toons...limit reached !!!!!!!!!!! We are Genesis (and others)

Edited by Llloralei
add title

Again, I don't understand why Bioware has not increased the guild size limit.

In fact, I don't understand what the point of having a limit is, in the first place?

And I don't think I've ever seen a dev response on this. I'm really curious why they'd limit the number of people in one guild. Is it to avoid having 2-3 huge guilds per server and no smaller ones?

But, if that's the case, then doesn't the fact that large guilds have smaller ones for their members' alts kind of defeat the purpose?

Again, I don't understand why Bioware has not increased the guild size limit.

In fact, I don't understand what the point of having a limit is, in the first place?

And I don't think I've ever seen a dev response on this. I'm really curious why they'd limit the number of people in one guild. Is it to avoid having 2-3 huge guilds per server and no smaller ones?

But, if that's the case, then doesn't the fact that large guilds have smaller ones for their members' alts kind of defeat the purpose?

I too am curious. My guild is starting to stare down the barrel of the guild limit, and the leadership staff have been wondering why the limit exists. Is it a performance issue? Like having more than 25 quests in the log?

Assuming the number of guilds is the goal then it does not. The number of guilds is larger and it does not really matter who is in it.

I'm not defending Bioware on the limits for a entire guild or anything but just to clarify, you aren't just recruiting every person who is taking space in the server right? There are plenty of people in my guild who were just basically one night players and just come back once a blue moon and I don't think those people deserve to waste space in the guild.

Inactive players unless given a reason why they can't be on, should be kicked.

Side note to this. What server are you on that your guild is so massive? i wouldn't mind a piece of that. The most of my guild thats on is 25 active on night times.

I'm not defending Bioware on the limits for a entire guild or anything but just to clarify, you aren't just recruiting every person who is taking space in the server right? There are plenty of people in my guild who were just basically one night players and just come back once a blue moon and I don't think those people deserve to waste space in the guild.

Side note to this. What server are you on that your guild is so massive? i wouldn't mind a piece of that. The most of my guild thats on is 25 active on night times.

With some players have 8+ alts that's only 62 actual people in a guild, we've hit the cap multiple times with nobody over 30 days inactive.

My guild has a 3 toons per account rule, kicks all inactives at 30 days and we are always full.

I kind of wish the rule was a max number of accounts, rather than toons. I mean, I have 16 toons, one for each advanced class on both sides. BW made the game to have 16 distinct advanced classes (across both factions) so I'm just enjoying the content they provided and having so many toons is useful for e.g. ops so that we try and get a group together, I can offer MDPS, RDPS, tank or heals and we can even balance it out e.g. if someone is bringing scoundrel heals, I can bring my sage. Makes it way easier to get a good ops group together.

But if I have my 8 toons in guild, we could only have 40 players (if we all did the same). So to do a 16M run, we'd need almost half the guild to be online and that makes random ops impossible; we'd have to plan and make sure everyone showed up.

So, you have to limit the number of alts. But then you have to create your own channel to try and make sure that everyone actually knows if an op is forming in case they are on an alt. But as someone else said, you can't actually see how many people are online and someone may have forgotten to join the channel, etc etc etc.

Make it 500 accounts per guild (if there is a reason to limit it).

If I am not mistaken, the guild limit is set according to how many people would safely be allowed in guild chat at the same time without putting any undo stress on the server.. I could swear I read that somewhere.. Just not sure where..

Under those circumstances, it is doubtful we will see any kind of guild limit increase, unless they make it so the servers can handle more..

Not saying this is a bad idea or shouldn't happen.. Just that there is a reason.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

I don't get the sense of such guilds tbh. If it's like pugging what's the sense of being in a guild anymore?

Edit:

Ok some math let's consider one side. guild limit if i recall right is 500. Even if every people had all ACs (8) that would be 62 people in a guild which still makes zero sense to me.

Edited by valeita

If I am not mistaken, the guild limit is set according to how many people would safely be allowed in guild chat at the same time without putting any undo stress on the server.. I could swear I read that somewhere.. Just not sure where..

Under those circumstances, it is doubtful we will see any kind of guild limit increase, unless they make it so the servers can handle more..

Not saying this is a bad idea or shouldn't happen.. Just that there is a reason.. :)

If that were the case, the guild limit would need to only affect active accounts (as already measured for the guild bonus) and not total number of chars in guild.

If I have 1 char or 22 chars in the guild, does not affect guild chat at all. I cannot chat with more than 1 char at the same time in guild chat.

If 500 is the limit, then theoretically there could be 500 individual accounts in a guild... which sounds like a limit, that will never be reached. 500 chars however is pretty easy to reach, if everyone in the guild got a few twinks (which is the norm, not an exception!)

From a technical point of view, the limit of 500 chars per guild seems absolutely random to me.

I've seen this suggested before but a guild that limits to one character per member could currently have 500 characters in chat at the same time. If the rule was changed to 500 accounts per guild instead of 500 characters then you could still only get 500 characters in chat at the same time.

• 1 year later...

^^ Agree with Nickious on this.

Quality > quantity.... even in MMO guilds.

I don't get the sense of such guilds tbh. If it's like pugging what's the sense of being in a guild anymore?

Edit:

Ok some math let's consider one side. guild limit if i recall right is 500. Even if every people had all ACs (8) that would be 62 people in a guild which still makes zero sense to me.

Well.. it is an altaholic's dream come true in this MMO. So I can see people actually playing a number of different characters on a regular basis. I'm one of them... though I only keep a few characters guilded.. and the rest are unguilded (which I could rotate in at any time if I wanted to). Our guild has a 4 character limit per account, but allows us to freely add/drop characters whenever we want. This means we can have over 100 active players in the guild at anytime... which is actually larger then we allow at the moment.

Having observed a couple of mega guilds in other MMOs... I prefer a cap limit. Guilds that get too big and unwieldly and create pandemic problems in the server because they always have a few malcontents stirring up trouble and causing the GM and Officers needless hassle. This was particularly bad in Rift, where I saw one guild loaded with probably 25% of all active characters on the server. And a day did not go by that guild GMs across the server were not spending game time trying to deal with the GM/Officers in that mega guild over issues with their players. Literally every day. This guild had only one goal.... have the most players. They would boot trouble makers... but only when GMs from other guilds brought a case to them for review. It bled time from everyones game play.

I don't know that the right limit is, but the current limit of 500 is not unreasonable IMO. Guilds can always set up and manage "farm" guilds for special interest groups (like dominant PvP in one, and dominant PvE in another for example) if they really want a large pool of players.

Edited by Andryah

Guilds that get too big and unwieldly and create pandemic problems in the server because they always have a few malcontents stirring up trouble and causing the GM and Officers needless hassle.

Whether the leadership wants to deal with such issues should be their decision. the way things are going my guild is going to have multiple alt guilds to hold all the extra toons. Which for Galactic Conquest would be the death of smaller guilds. On Jung-Ma, can you imagine Umbra, Umbra2, Umbra3, Penumbral, Penumbral2, Penumbral3, The Guardians, The Guardians2, The Guardians3, filling the leader boards of each planet?