KoToR

VitalityPrime

So I just read the story premise of KotoR...and I had no idea it tied in so closely with swtor.

I've never been a fan of old games or games where I can't make the character my own...but I'm definitely getting this simply for the story to make swtor even that much better.

How long is the game overall?

EDIT: Also, I know the game let's you create you own character...but said character is now an actual part of Star Wars lore...and the canon story leads into SWTOR.

I would like to play through this game for story and lore purposes...so I want to play and make choices as close to the real Revan as possible.

So if anyone can assist with that...it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by VitalityPrime

It's been years since I played through KOTOR so I really don't remember how long it is, but if you can get past how dated the graphics are it's definitely a great game. The characters and dialogue are its strongest points so even through they're optional, I encourage you to play out the dialogues with your companions whenever they're available.

If you want to run it as close as possible to the canon established in TOR, make your player character a male Caucasian with dark brown hair, pursue a romance with Bastilla Shan, and take Light-side choices when available -especially on Taris, Korriban, and during the final missions, since I know TOR has some plot threads/easter eggs that assume light side choices there.

I have heard that the "canon" order for visiting the planets you'll be traveling to once you have the option of choosing is: Tatooine -> Kashyyyk -> Manaan -> Korriban. Although, honestly, I don't know if there has ever been anything in other sources to support that order; I believe it just came from the Strategy Guide's suggested order, so you shouldn't run into any continuity issues if you choose another progression.

Have fun!

What class would Revan be?

I don't think the classes transfer very well from KOTOR to SWTOR, especially considering that the classes don't have access to all abilities as far as Force powers are concerned. Revan was known to be both a good duelist and a very adept in using the Force, so... no idea, really. I'd say go with Jedi Guardian since the Revan in SWTOR wields only one lightsaber (though the aparation of Revan in KOTOR2 wields two). That or Jedi Consular.

Edited by BenKatarn

I don't think the classes transfer very well from KOTOR to SWTOR, especially considering that the classes don't have access to all abilities as far as Force powers are concerned. Revan was known to be both a good duelist and a very adept in using the Force, so... no idea, really. I'd say go with Jedi Guardian since the Revan in SWTOR wields only one lightsaber (though the aparation of Revan in SWTOR wields two). That or Jedi Consular.

What about the initial class of Scout, Scoundrel or Soldier?

When you start Kotor, trust me, only level to level 2 (Because you have to) and don't go beyond until after Taris.

Also, Once you play KOTOR 1, it would be a good idea to pop into Kotor 2, a far superior game in terms of Storyline, with a character who's also in SWTOR.

If you get Kotor 2 for PC, download the mod TSLRCM, Easy install, bloody amazing mod.

But back to Kotor... I'd say Revan was a Jedi Sentinel or Consular, his adept abilities in the force make that the likely choice, but a Soldier base class would probably be the right call, mainly for the Opening Attributes it gives. Revan also is seen Wielding a Green Saber, but I have a hypothesis on why. In the game you can get a Mantle of the Force, and a Heart of the Guardian crystal respectively Cyan and Orange. They're the best in the Game, and it's likely he fused them together to get a Green blade with great power.

So until you finish the game, it's likely he went around with a Blue, Purple or Yellow saber.

When you start Kotor, trust me, only level to level 2 (Because you have to) and don't go beyond until after Taris.

This is spot-on advice, but just to clarify what's being said: don't click the level-up for your Player Character until you've unlocked your Jedi class.

-If you've leveled up to, for example, Level 5 by the time you get your Jedi class and then hit level 6, you will be have put in 5 levels worth of unlocks into Soldier feats/powers/etc. and only 1 level's worth of unlocks into your Jedi class feats/powers/etc.

-If, instead, you save up the XP for those levels without ever actually clicking on the "Level Up" option, you can actually cash them all in for Jedi options, having 2 levels in Solider abilities and 4 levels in your Jedi abilities.

(Put another way, leveling up as you go will leave you with a Level 5 Soldier/Level 1 Guardian but saving up the XP instead and cashing it in for levels later gives you a Level 2 Soldier/Level 4 Guardian.)

Given that the lore sometimes skews towards making Revan out to be the most epicest epic Jedi ever to be epic, pumping up his Jedi class is probably the way to go. These depictions also makes it hard to nail down which Jedi class is most appropriate, Personally, I've always felt his Force Powers were played up more than his Lightsaber proficiency, even though he is acknowledged as an expert duelist, so I tend to think of him as a Consular.

This is spot-on advice, but just to clarify what's being said: don't click the level-up for your Player Character until you've unlocked your Jedi class.

Exactly, but one thing to clarify.

Soldier brings nothing Special to the Table, going the route of a Guardian brings the exact same abilites to put skills in, you just get the Extra ones for Force Powers... Same for Sentinel and Consular.

You lose nothing, gain a lot.

Given that the lore sometimes skews towards making Revan out to be the most epicest epic Jedi ever to be epic, pumping up his Jedi class is probably the way to go.

I'd say that lore doesn't really tend that way - he is mostly depicted as a fairly powerful Jedi/Sith, and a reasonably adept warlord, but no Thrawn and certainly no Skywalker. It's gameplay that skews toward making Revan out to be "the most epicest epic Jedi ever to be epic", along with fanwank from people who grew up on the first KotOR game and can't imagine their player character being anything but.

But yes. The advice to hold off on leveling up is very good.

So I just read the story premise of KotoR...and I had no idea it tied in so closely with swtor.

I've never been a fan of old games or games where I can't make the character my own...but I'm definitely getting this simply for the story to make swtor even that much better.

How long is the game overall?

EDIT: Also, I know the game let's you create you own character...but said character is now an actual part of Star Wars lore...and the canon story leads into SWTOR.

I would like to play through this game for story and lore purposes...so I want to play and make choices as close to the real Revan as possible.

So if anyone can assist with that...it would be greatly appreciated.

It took about three to four weeks if I remember correctly, but a portion of that was the fact that the game used to crash every so often.

Lore wise Revan was probably a Guardian, but you could also argue Sentinel, since the dual weild option is open to all not class restricted in this game. And since anybody could dual weild the fact Revan doesn't is not a consideration, since he could fail to use two sabers as a sentinel as easily as a guardian.

Lore wise you would probably start as a Soldier, however the scout class allows you to use implants, which is extremely useful at times, and I would recommend that instead.

Edited by AlexDougherty

Also, Once you play KOTOR 1, it would be a good idea to pop into Kotor 2, a far superior game in terms of Storyline, with a character who's also in SWTOR.

If you get Kotor 2 for PC, download the mod TSLRCM, Easy install, bloody amazing mod.

But back to Kotor... I'd say Revan was a Jedi Sentinel or Consular, his adept abilities in the force make that the likely choice, but a Soldier base class would probably be the right call, mainly for the Opening Attributes it gives. Revan also is seen Wielding a Green Saber, but I have a hypothesis on why. In the game you can get a Mantle of the Force, and a Heart of the Guardian crystal respectively Cyan and Orange. They're the best in the Game, and it's likely he fused them together to get a Green blade with great power.

So until you finish the game, it's likely he went around with a Blue, Purple or Yellow saber.

Yeah, I definitely plan to do a "canon" play through of KotoR 2 as well.

I made it to level 5 before seeing this post, unfortunately.

The good thing is I put all my points into things such as more xp and dual weapon training. So they still work for later.

I'm still not use to the combat...as I'm unsure how the "turn-based" system works...but I'm playing on easy, so it really doesn't matter. I'm only playing for the story anyways.

It's definitely not bad so far...getting companions quick has made it interesting.

There are so many little nods and forshadowing to the big reveal at the end. Good stuff.

I must say...I have a certain amount of enjoyment playing the old game. Just seeing how different things were back then...but it all still has the same core features and feeling.

Yeah, I definitely plan to do a "canon" play through of KotoR 2 as well.

I made it to level 5 before seeing this post, unfortunately.

The good thing is I put all my points into things such as more xp and dual weapon training. So they still work for later.

I'm still not use to the combat...as I'm unsure how the "turn-based" system works...but I'm playing on easy, so it really doesn't matter. I'm only playing for the story anyways.

It's definitely not bad so far...getting companions quick has made it interesting.

There are so many little nods and forshadowing to the big reveal at the end. Good stuff.

I must say...I have a certain amount of enjoyment playing the old game. Just seeing how different things were back then...but it all still has the same core features and feeling.

The Level thing isn't a Must, it's just helpful... It's still easy either way... On easy mode :p

Again though, I have to recommend KOTOR 2, Far Superior game IMO, Deeper story about the true Mysteries of the force... It's great.

On the DarkSide version of KOTOR 2, your mentor can do an 8 minute speech, no gaps, and I've never heard anyone say anything, other than it's one of the best parts of the game...

The Level thing isn't a Must, it's just helpful... It's still easy either way... On easy mode :p

Again though, I have to recommend KOTOR 2, Far Superior game IMO, Deeper story about the true Mysteries of the force... It's great.

On the DarkSide version of KOTOR 2, your mentor can do an 8 minute speech, no gaps, and I've never heard anyone say anything, other than it's one of the best parts of the game...

Yeah, like I said I will definitely be playing KotoR 2. I just want to play them in order.

I won't be running a darkside version...since I will be playing as close to canon as possible.

So Meetra Surik will be lightside in KotoR 2.

EDIT: Did they make the beginning of Mass Effect 2 as a shout out to this game? (not the normandy crashing scene...but where you wake up on the cerberus base. The initial scene is almost exactly the same)

Edited by VitalityPrime

Yeah, like I said I will definitely be playing KotoR 2. I just want to play them in order.

I won't be running a darkside version...since I will be playing as close to canon as possible.

So Meetra Surik will be lightside in KotoR 2.

Yeh, Personally I could never do the Darkside Game, at least, not have as much fun as I do with lightside.

I do suggest, Once you finish that game, to listen to the speech... Just Search "You have Failed me - Kreia" in Youtube, or go to

link.. But you'll only understand it once you've seen/played the game......

back during beta I had a hankering to replay KOTOR but had a heck of a time trying to get it to run on Win 7 64 bit. This get fixed anywhere?

Yes, Some file with a name like Mss32.dll was fixed, but it's just as easy to buy it for like $4 off Steam :p

So how is Revan still alive in SWTOR?

This is all laid out in the novel Star Wars:The Old Republic: Revan, and is pretty well explained in the Republic Flashpoints Taral V and Maelstrom Prison and the one-time quests related to them (and maybe some of the companion conversations from Jedi Knight companion Lord Scourge? Not sure on the last one but I would guess so).

If you want the answer now:

Revan went to find and stop the Sith Empire based on clues in his fragmented memory, but was defeated by the Emperor. The Emperor locked him in a stasis chamber in the Maelstrom Prison, keeping Revan alive indefinitely, and also keeping his mind conscious and aware. The Emperor spent the next three hundred years drawing on Revan's considerable power in the Force and trying to break his mind to learn any and all secrets he had of the Republic.

During TOR the Republic can rescue him from this stasis prison.

What class would Revan be?

The class division in SWTOR follows the same logic as every other mmorpg.In SW reality there is barely any distinction.But if i had a gun pointed at my head and i had to RP Revan i would use a Juggernaut while he was a sith and Guardian while a ''jedi''.Still,its very far off ,he ,as almost everyone else worth of notice,he is a combination of everything.

Edited by Kaedusz

The "canonical" storyline:

KOTOR 1

Male

Class: Soldier class/Sentinel

Name: I can't recall the first name, but the surname is Katarn (leading to the speculation that Kyle's a VERY distant descendant)

Options: All Lightsided

Romance: Bastila

Planet order: Taris - Dantooine - Yavin (1st trip) - Tatooine - Kashyyyk - Yavin (2nd trip) - Manaan - Leviathan - Korriban - Yavin (Last Trip) - Lehon - Star Forge

KOTOR 2

Female

Name: Meetra Surik

Class: Probably Sentinel

Options: All Lightsided

Romance: there's not much of one in game, but lean towards Atton's

Cross-class all your companions (Bao-Dur will be VERY difficult to pull this off with, BTW)

Planet Order: Peragus - Telos - Dantooine - Nar Shadaa - Duxn - Onderon - Korriban - back to Onderon - Back to Dantooine - Back to Telos - Malachor V

Now how I like to play them:

KOTOR 1

Female

Name: Kairi Niko

Class: Civilian (Scoundrel, but I use a save game editor to remove the class feats and replace with Master Empathy)/Consular

Options: Light or neutral (ending with a light side score of about 90%)

Romance: Carth (Juhani is also a good option. She was the first same-sex romance Bioware did, but they had to fly a lot on Taylor's voice acting to get it past the radar)

Planet order: Taris - Dantooine - Yavin (1st trip) - Tatooine - Kashyyyk - Yavin (2nd trip) - Manaan - Leviathan - Korriban - Yavin (Last Trip) - Lehon - Star Forge

KOTOR 2

Male

Name: Cian Li-Bek

Class: Sentinel/Assassin

Options: Gray to dark, until Nar Shadaa, and then start slipping to red. (to recruit Hanharr). Start choosing Dark Side once you go into the cave at Korriban (play it like you're slowly going mad, and go off the deep end at that point)

Cross-class: Atton and Handmaiden

Planet Order: Peragus - Telos - Dantooine - Nar Shadaa - Duxn - Onderon - Korriban - back to Onderon - Back to Dantooine - Back to Telos - Malachor V

I prefer playing the first one as female a lot more than I did playing male. As much as I like Hale, Sbarge really did a great job with Carth, and there are a lot of little things that seem to flow better when you're playing female (the torture scene on the Leviathan is a big one that works better). I also appreciate the little half twist it puts on the reveal. The Dark Side options are a bit too stupid to want to go through with, and your party is mostly lightsided, anyway. Carth and Mission are higher on the alignment meter than the party's Jedi. Bastila and Juhani are definitely Jedi...just Jedi with some issues to work through. Zaalbar is generally a good boy, but very confused and easily led. Jolee protests he's neutral, but he's a textbook Chaotic Good. T3 is too new to have much of an opinion. Canderous and HK are dark-aligned, but even Canderous has a code of honor and a decent set of standards. HK-47 is just a psychotic nutcase.

The second one? The Disciple is a character that fanfic cuts a better deal than the source material. His dialogue tree is bugged, and it's possible to max him out in a couple conversations. With the Handmaiden (available to the male character), you have a full-blown arc that ties right back to the bigger overall picture with Atris, Kreia, Malachor, and the Jedi. As for Dark Side? Well, few if any of the crew are nice people. Your first two human companions are as nasty as they get (Kreia's obvious, whispering poison in your ear the entire time, but Atton might actually be worse), setting the stage for the story. Through it all, NPCs ranging for Dantooine farmers, Telos Security personnel, and even the Jedi you have to find treat you like a monster. So might as well live down to it after a while. It helps that some of the Dark Side options are more manipulative bastard than crazy destructive. (Convincing a mother to sell herself into slavery to be with her daughter has to be one of the better ones)

The class division in SWTOR follows the same logic as every other mmorpg.In SW reality there is barely any distinction.But if i had a gun pointed at my head and i had to RP Revan i would use a Juggernaut while he was a sith and Guardian while a ''jedi''.Still,its very far off ,he ,as almost everyone else worth of notice,he is a combination of everything.

I was asking what class he would be in KotoR.

The "canonical" storyline:

KOTOR 1

Male

Class: Soldier class/Sentinel

Name: I can't recall the first name, but the surname is Katarn (leading to the speculation that Kyle's a VERY distant descendant)

Where did you get this information?

I've been looking everywhere to figure out what name the republic gave him when they mindwiped him.