Opinions on the new Project animation?

Galbatorrix

For those who've seen it? I don't have a video, but instead of picking up the object close to your PC and hurling it, it now come up next the the enemy and hits them with less travel time.

Personally, I'd have preferred it if they'd have kept the old animation and just made the damage hit instantly. The new animation doesn't look half as good.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boo. I was wondering how they were going to adjust this to put it more in line with the Inquisitor's shock. I personally kind of like the, well now I guess "old" animation, and agree that the damage should occur faster after the object comes out of the ground.

Boo. I was wondering how they were going to adjust this to put it more in line with the Inquisitor's shock. I personally kind of like the, well now I guess "old" animation, and agree that the damage should occur faster after the object comes out of the ground.

Here's a video...

Boo indeed.

Agreed. The new animation for project makes me glad my sorcerer is nearly level 50. Honestly, I would prefer it if they put the delay back in, the new animation looks like they knocked it up in 5 minutes. I think it appears so awful because the rocks don't seem to come up from anywhere. If they just had an upheaval type animation like before, but which appears beside your enemy it would look fine. As it is they just appear in mid air a couple of meters away from the foe.

It may also be worth noting that either it is currently bugged on the PTS or they have also changed the disturbance animation, it now appears to not actually have an animation. You see the effect on your hand as you cast but thats it. I'm not sure if the animation we are used to for disturbance had a slight delay or not but it certainly feels like it compared to lightning strike on my sorcerer, from a decent range at least.

Disappointing Bioware, very disappointing indeed. I would hold hope that this would be improved before it goes live, but as it's on the PTS now I think we all know this is what we'll be getting.

Edited by Elvandar

This forum is not the right place for this, as it is not just a sage ability. Hopefully the mod will figure that out...

Pretty disappointed, but not surprised. They could have replaced the animation with something that didnt invlolve junk or they could decide to further half-arse an already half-arsed concept. They went with the latter, predictably.

The new project is the same craptasm as the old project. Junk chunking. The "change" is that the junk now magically appears out of the ground at a random spot within a close radius of the target, doesnt spin, and pops up and hits 'em. So it is kind of like what it was for a shadow that was on top of his target when he fired project before, anyway. I actually think I agree that it would have been better to keep the old junk chunking animation with ridiculous instant damage. It looked better than the 1.3 version of junk chunking. But both sux.

So no saber throw, no force burst, none of the other ideas from the community...nothing imaginative or inspired. Just junk. Faster moving junk that magically appears closer to the target. Getting rid of the delay will be nice, but that is kind of tempered for me atm by the lame, phone-it-in way it was done.

So if anything it is a little more annoying and distracting in that instead of magically appearing in the same place all the time, the junk magically appears in a somewhat random spot near the target. Same junk, same crap.

Honestly not sure about how much the delay has been affected, since I just tried it on a consular, with the 10m range and not a sage out to 30m range. It does appear to magically pop up and move a little faster.

Bottom line, same ridiculous, magical conjuring junk chunking, with a minor appearance tweak to where the magically conjured junk pops up from and how fast it moves. I iz jedai, I haz rocks...junkz...andz pebblez...wonderful work guys at blowing a great chance to dejunk the class and make it more appealing to people that arent thrilled with comic relief rocks and junk.... ...some dev loves his junk and just cant part with it, star wars be damned...

Edited by Dyvim

I like the old animation better than this. It was more visually appealing. Instead of taking this quick fix of making it hit the target faster, why not actually make it work EXACTLY like the Sorcerer's ability and even out the playing field a little. I mean, is it me, or does BW seem to favor Imps and not give two ****s about Republic characters and players?

The video has me kinda disappointed, it's so fast you can barely tell what's going on any more. The old animation was probably my favorite attack animation in the entire game. Kinda sad. The old animation felt much more "epic" with the whole dramatic ripping chunk out of the ground and actually projecting it at someone from afar (...or up close).

For the record, I didn't mind the delay a whole lot the way it was before, nor I would I mind terribly if the damage registered before the projectile hit the target (if you kept old animation but new timing for actual number processing). If the new animation sticks Project should probably be renamed to something that's a more accurate description like uh... not even really sure I can describe it in a word. "Collateral Damage?" "Rock Surprise?" Whatever it is, it's hardly a projection and more of a random object bouncing betty kind of thing.

I'd have to agree with a post in the closed thread, the new animation is so fast that even keeping the item chucking nature is just stupid, since you can't even see it travel through the air any more. If it's going to be this instantaneous, something more like a super-fast disturbance would make sense and at least look less weird.

But really, I'd like the old animation back, more than anything else. Or keeping the old animation but with supersonic projection speed... or something. Anything but this, please.

I think the randomness is actually kind of a nice touch, though I liked it a lot more when it was centered around your character. So watching it some more, I think if they kept the speed/randomized location and just kept it's origin by your character, I wouldn't mind as much..

Edited by Halkyon

im for it... probably because i never had much issue with it being rocks in the first place... im for it because of its new responsiveness AND random nature... after playing with it today i was pleased with how it did not immediately scream out "HEY look! squishy sage this way!" Edited by suggsgested
spelling

im for it... probably because i never had much issue with it being rocks in the first place... im for it because of its new responsiveness AND random nature... after playing with it today i was pleased with how it did not immediately scream out "HEY look! squishy sage this way!"

So, as a general rule, you think its a good idea if combat animations dont show you who is attacking you? Sorry but that is just silly and shortsighted for the game as a whole.

People who wanted the burst no matter what would have sworn up and down that junk chunking was the best animation and the most jedi-like thing they had ever seen, even if it magically pulled up kitchen sinks and pink elephants. Now we are going to see the same level of support for junk in animation for this new project that we see for pebblestorm. Even fewer people are going to like it.

For those who've seen it? I don't have a video, but instead of picking up the object close to your PC and hurling it, it now come up next the the enemy and hits them with less travel time.

Personally, I'd have preferred it if they'd have kept the old animation and just made the damage hit instantly. The new animation doesn't look half as good.

They changed it because the Inquisitor version is an insta-cast.

I don't like it either... The old animation looked nice, and they could have just tweaked it so the damage would apply faster... Now, as you guys are saying, you barely notice it happening. I'm glad we don't have a delay anymore, of course, but this is a bit disappointing...

The old animation looked strong and you really "felt" that you were hitting your targets... Too bad.

Count me down as one of the people disappointed that some of the player suggestions were not implemented. I feel like this solution is going to annoy people who hate the junk throwing, as well as people who liked the old animation. Under different circumstances, I might have liked the old animation, but for reasons discussed over and over again, it doesn't make any sense for Jedi.

That said, the two big functional problems were fixed, and I am glad for that: 1) It casts almost instantly, 2) It doesn't draw any undue attention to the caster. These were the two problems making it worse than Shock, and I'm glad they were fixed.

Still, I would hope that Bioware will continue to consider replacing the animation with a gold/blue energy based one. The minority of Consulars who liked the old Project animation will probably hate the new one. As such, I don't think there is anyone left who actually supports the junk throwing. Let's get the NPC animation for Force Burst, can we?

My apologies to the devs who wrote the original Project animation. It's really a nice piece of work, it just doesn't fit where they were trying to put it.

I would add, some people have suggested swapping Disturbance with Project -- please do not. If you are a Balance Sage, it would be detrimental to the Presence of Mind ability. As a Balances Sage, I feel that it is one of the most important abilities of that tree.

Bottom line, same ridiculous, magical conjuring junk chunking, with a minor appearance tweak to where the magically conjured junk pops up from and how fast it moves. I iz jedai, I haz rocks...junkz...andz pebblez...wonderful work guys at blowing a great chance to dejunk the class and make it more appealing to people that arent thrilled with comic relief rocks and junk.... ...some dev loves his junk and just cant part with it, star wars be damned...

In the movies both jedi and sith throw both rocks and random junk. There is nothing magical about it. I agree the junk side of it is silly just from the fact it comes from the floor, but other then that the only silly part is that it isn't a trait unique to the jedi.

We are complaining about the quality of the new animation, not the concept. I'm sure everyone would be happy if they'd kept the old animation but made it play quicker and appear by your enemy. For the new one the rocks/junk just appear so fast its hard to notice they dont actually come up from the floor, they appear above it and there is no mark or any effect on the ground. Simply put, it feels like a cheap last minute rush job just so they cant be criticised for not addressing the delay yet again.

Meh. Between this, and the PvE Shadow tanking nerf, I'm not thrilled with 1.3 yet. Downloading the PTS right now though, to give them a huge dose of feedback about these changes.

Again, that "force burst" skill would be a million times better, and make me feel more like a Jedi. Throwing rocks makes no sense.

Thats ... awful, i'd have a hard time thinking of a worse solution - not trying to be mean, it really is THAT bad.

Can we keep the old animation with the delay?

I'm used to it now and just use slow or tk throw to interrupt and i love the animation.

Seriously, please dont implement that.

This forum is not the right place for this, as it is not just a sage ability. Hopefully the mod will figure that out...

Honestly, I posted it here because Shadow's won't notice it as much because they fight close up anyway. It'll still look like they're pulling the item out of the ground relatively close to them.

If this is the solution it''s just another example of BWs quick fix solutions. Just like when they took away the smuggler giggle, instead of making it a toggle. Here they just made the action look more immediate to match the Inquisitor. Why not keep the more powerful looking animation but make the damage be done instantly but give us the animation that we love.

Honestly, I posted it here because Shadow's won't notice it as much because they fight close up anyway. It'll still look like they're pulling the item out of the ground relatively close to them.

As a shadow tank, I can say that I notice it quite often. >_< Sure it isn't as noticeable as it is on my sage alt, but project is one of the biggest abilities for my kinetic tank, providing most of our damage and threat. (Outside of AoE situations where slow time works much better.)

Doesn't really matter though. I found the thread just the same and my two cents allow me to say that this animation on the PTS seems like a quick fix to a long standing issue. I am not a fan of this animation either, but I do admit it solves the core problem of balance that they wished to address.

Or at least I think it does.

For the first time in my MMO experience, I intend to download the PTS and see this change first hand to give some feedback. Watching it play out in a video is one thing. Using the ability yourself is another.

I mentioned that idea in the same post you quoted. Point is, it is a consular ability, not solely a sage one, and the mods were closing threads in the consular forum and pointing to the sage forum, then they figured out that was stupid after a few pm's, and just moved your thread to the consular forum...

...So it is kind of like what it was for a shadow that was on top of his target when he fired project before, anyway. I actually think I agree that it would have been better to keep the old junk chunking animation with ridiculous instant damage. It looked better than the 1.3 version of junk chunking. But both sux.

Yeah, I mean...I will give it a fair shake I guess but it comes down to fun.

I play a Jedi Shadow Tank because that is the class I have chosen.

If the nerfs make it impossible for me to tank in PvE or place such a strain on our healers that it is not fun for them to heal, we'll probably just move on to something else.

We're a small, tight knit group of friends that have been gaming together for years and we were already on the fence about sticking it out.

Homogenization is not better than interesting and unique decisions.

We have the game we deserve I guess.

In the movies both jedi and sith throw both rocks and random junk. There is nothing magical about it. I agree the junk side of it is silly just from the fact it comes from the floor, but other then that the only silly part is that it isn't a trait unique to the jedi.

We are complaining about the quality of the new animation, not the concept. I'm sure everyone would be happy if they'd kept the old animation but made it play quicker and appear by your enemy. For the new one the rocks/junk just appear so fast its hard to notice they dont actually come up from the floor, they appear above it and there is no mark or any effect on the ground. Simply put, it feels like a cheap last minute rush job just so they cant be criticised for not addressing the delay yet again.

Really? Name one jedi that throws a rock in the 6 movies at a target... Name a jedi, other than Anakin doing a vader preview, that initiates throwing ANYTHING at a target in 6 movies (anakin does two throws in aotc, yoda throws BACK one car in rots)...Anakin has serious problems and isnt the jedi posterboy for anything. He is a whiny, selfish, fearful, murdering SOB with one foot in the darkside. Regardless, we see numerous jedi in 6 movies and none of them throw a rock, period. Well Luke throws one WITH HIS HAND. So yea, we agree that the ground conjuring is silly. But it is not just that it isnt Unique to jedi...It is PREVALENT with Sith...

Contrast this with the 4 sith we see in the movies. Vader, Dooku, Palpatine, and Maul. ALL OF THEM throw things at targets. ALL OF THEM. In fact they throw junk more than they use ANY other ranged attack. MORE than lightning, more than choke. In fact jedi use CHOKE as much as they initiate junk throws in the movies, IF YOU COUNT ANAKIN. (Luke chokes in rotj). So please if you are going to assert things about the ultimate canon in the movies, look at the numbers. No rocks for jedi. Sith throw things about 18+ times. Jedi 3, if you count anakin and you count yoda throwing something BACK. SO clearly, by the numbers, if someone is junk chunking, they are going to be a sith.

But in this game, junk chunking and pebblestorms (both labeled as debris in their tooltips) identify jedi. THey are the hallmark, signature skills. That is my problem. In six movies not one jedi throws a rock. And it is now their core skill....REALLY? That is just stupid. When I see junk being chunked I think sith, period. As would anyone that watched the movies and paid attention.

Oh and btw, there is a mark on the ground, the same ridiculous fake hole in 1.3. My issue is simple, I would like to see jedi skills moved away from junk and rocks and pebbles. Even if you are going to keep them, then the animations for using them in this game sux. They are magically conjured out of the ground. And they are conjured in ways that are ridiculous...rocks out of starship decks. And they cheat further, since each client rolls separately on the random junk table. So when you think you are hitting with one piece of junk, your opponent on a different client sees another piece of junk from the random table.

I predicted that they would just speed the junk up, or make it do damage before it hit anything, or cheat further with it somehow - and they did, now it is magically conjured closer to the target. Bottom line, as someone else posted, if they wanted to go instant, which the mirror paradigm requires them to do to sync with shock, they should have gotten rid of the junk chunking, period. If they wanted to give the class a more powerful, jedi feel, they should get away from the comic relief junk, rocks, and pebbles, period.

Edited by Dyvim