Arenas yet?

Izola

So many ANTI Arena people,

I promise when they come out I WON'T be one of those that picks on you for being BAD cuz of your rating.

We all know this is the only REAL reason you don't want it!

You strike me as one of those permanent 1600 rated players that talk about how awesome they are but their "noob" teammates "hold them back".

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You strike me as one of those permanent 1600 rated players that talk about how awesome they are but their "noob" teammates "hold them back".

I know right....Srcubs holding me back from rating....but it requires NO skill even though my teamates can hold me back?

You need to find an argument and stick with it.

Grinding warzones is getting boring, fast. I want something to work towards with a team. I want a team name, and a ranking, and some pvp that is more skill based and less objective based.

The smaller scale the pvp is, the more emphasis there is on single player skill. The larger scale it is, the more emphasis there is on team coordination. I personally love the former better, and I know a ton of other people do as well.

Arenas are what kept me playing wow for 3 years. Warzones are getting to be a huge snorefest and I really don't like the 'zergy' nature of it, but I do love pvp.

Please add arenas, BW :3

You're right. They don't take the same skill. Warzones/battlegrounds take MORE skill and thought than small instance death match could ever hope to require.

Come on man, were trying to be serious, and you come in here saying this nonsense.

Let me put it this way, i die all the time in WZ's and win em, ive died and won an arena match like twice in my life, see the difference.

Edited by Swidgin

When arenas first started in WoW I was very happy. I thought it was the best thing for PvP in WoW. I always liked BGs but thought PvP was petering and thought this was going to be a godsend to revive and save organized PvP. It did do that I have to admit but at the expense of other things.

Little did I know that was going to lead to cookie-cutter teams with cookie-cutter specs and nerf after nerf in the name of "class balance". There seemed to be endless hatred between classes and the rage QQ posts screaming for nerfs seemed to skyrocket. Why class X has to be nerfed or why ability Y was too uber- you know what I mean.

It also lead to many people being FORCED into roles or specs they didn't necessarily want to be in but had no choice to be part of a arena team (at least a decent one). It really sucks to have to be a healer and healer ONLY when you otherwise were DPS in open world or BGs. Somebody mentioned 2 minute matches but I've been in my share of 20+ min matches (especially when 2v2 was relevant) as a healer and it does not fit my definition of fun...

What I fear in this game is that the same phenomenon is going to happen with rated WZs and we are going to have only certain specs and certain compositions in WZs. Granted, there is more flexibility with a 8 man team versus a 5 however, and that hopefully will allow more freedom in composition and specs.

At least unlike WoW, I'm leveling many different toons and will not have to worry about being "forced" into a role I do not want to be in (toon wise) but I still would like to see team composition having much more flexibility than we saw in arena for WoW.

What I fear in this game is that the same phenomenon is going to happen with rated WZs and we are going to have only certain specs and certain compositions in WZs. Granted, there is more flexibility with a 8 man team versus a 5 however, and that hopefully will allow more freedom in composition and specs.

Blizzard made the mistake of forcing people to group for rated BGs. Bioware is not making the same mistake; players can queue for solo rated warzones. This will provide an opportunity for players that don't want to specialize a certain way to compete. In fact, statistically speaking, more people will queue for solo rated queues than premade queues.

Sure, there will be problems with solo rated warzones but, overall, they should provide a lot of flexibility for most players.

Fixed.

As I stated above, small arena matches are more skill dependent on a per player basis, while warzones are less skill dependent and more teamwork dependent.

By skilled you mean a fotm combo of the 2 most overpowered classes?

Cause as far as i recall my warrior with my feral druid friend, could never beat any resto - sl/sl lock in tbc. And in wotlk season 5 my hunter with a holy pala, couldnt never beat a holy pala - dk combo....even when the enemy teams had 300 or even 400 rating lower than our team

So pl stop talking about skill....

Skill can be counted within 2 teams with exactly the same classes, with exactly the same gear and with exactly the same spec... Which is like 1% of the games that happen in arena and only after 2200 rating

Edited by unicornfive

I'm always amazed when people want something added that already completely killed WoW's PvP balance and created more imbalances, problems and whining than any other MMORPG feature ever added to a game. Even Blizzard acknowledged that adding arenas to WoW was a mistake.

I'm always amazed when people want something added that already completely killed WoW's PvP balance and created more imbalances, problems and whining than any other MMORPG feature ever added to a game. Even Blizzard acknowledged that adding arenas to WoW was a mistake.

You are right but :

Ppl that want arena, they KNOW that classes will be imbalanced and they HOPE in that...Cause they ll just reroll the FOTM class and combo for arenas...

And again, the same ppl that want arena, they dont care about game quality, fun etc..they care only about e-peen...

I am PVP only, And I'm a WOW Baby (Prob Y I like Arenas) So EndGame PVP to me Does Not mean rateds. Although I'm sure to love playing them.

so then why don't you just play wow? i mean i know 1500 is a really tough bracket..but just roll tripple dps 3s and youll get ez rank 1 bro

I'm not one of those people that QQ and say Do it or I quit

(Nothing a man says matters up until the word... BUT)

But............

I don't see myself sticking around for a MMO without one. This is NOT a do it or I quit thread. I just have the most fun playing with FRIENDS and rateds are great but don't take the SKILL/Chess match that is a small instance death match.

I am PVP only, And I'm a WOW Baby (Prob Y I like Arenas) So EndGame PVP to me Does Not mean rateds. Although I'm sure to love playing them.

Has anyone heard If they plan in any way to do small team arenas in the near future?

Hahah they can't even give you server transfers, or rated warzones, so I wouldn't count on arenas anytime soon.

But............

I don't see myself sticking around for a MMO without one. This is NOT a do it or I quit thread. I just have the most fun playing with FRIENDS and rateds are great but don't take the SKILL/Chess match that is a small instance death match.

Has anyone heard If they plan in any way to do small team arenas in the near future?

im loving the fact they didnt add arena's yet :) dont need any more grief fests right now

• 2 weeks later...
Grinding warzones is getting boring, fast. I want something to work towards with a team. I want a team name, and a ranking, and some pvp that is more skill based and less objective based.

The smaller scale the pvp is, the more emphasis there is on single player skill. The larger scale it is, the more emphasis there is on team coordination. I personally love the former better, and I know a ton of other people do as well.

Arenas are what kept me playing wow for 3 years. Warzones are getting to be a huge snorefest and I really don't like the 'zergy' nature of it, but I do love pvp.

Please add arenas, BW :3

I agree they are getting boring so fast! I am so sick all the same boring war zones, plus sometimes all you have on is 3 friends and arena ques would be alot faster I'm sure. For the people that don't like arenas... you don't have to do them!!! Frankly this game wont last another 4-6 months without a huge decrease in server population without arenas. Because of this until arenas are implemented I'm forced to go back to WOW unfortunately. Loved SWTOR otherwise.

Arenas actually take skill. EXAMPLE board game companies send their new game to brilliant people to get the "mensa seal" which tells the buyer hey this board game actually has some depth to it, it captured the minds of intelligent people and made them think of strategies. I like chess, I like games that require thinking, reaction time, awareness in surroundings. 100v100 does not reward the individual! its omg which team has more computers that can get more then 10 fps. you can click in a huge battle and never get focused, you can back pedal, keyturn, eat a sammich, watch tv. try doing that in small scale arena, try that while defending a node against 2 players by yourself. I dont like to see 50 people running at me, I dont mind seeing 2 players trying to take an objective though Edited by Meenos

What puts me off to be honest is the comp system like in WoW i played a hunter in cata and tried my best to make him unquie etc but the problem is all that goes down the pot when the char you love and play alot isn't viable in arena and if any of you say l2p it is all about certain classes. Also with the constant clueless changes some classes wont be considered for arena's like snipers yes they have burst but you los and they lost a bunch of cooldowns. I dont think they are capable of doing arena with the situation of ac's and lets be honest what does a class like sniper bring that a pyro pt can't do? There would be alot of people left behind due to there ac's not being good in a comp i would much rather see a classic av style warzone like ilum but run it at 60 frames or tbh maybe a dueling zone on the fleet that would be sweet.

Arenas actually take skill. EXAMPLE board game companies send their new game to brilliant people to get the "mensa seal" which tells the buyer hey this board game actually has some depth to it, it captured the minds of intelligent people and made them think of strategies. I like chess, I like games that require thinking, reaction time, awareness in surroundings. 100v100 does not reward the individual! its omg which team has more computers that can get more then 10 fps. you can click in a huge battle and never get focused, you can back pedal, keyturn, eat a sammich, watch tv. try doing that in small scale arena, try that while defending a node against 2 players by yourself. I dont like to see 50 people running at me, I dont mind seeing 2 players trying to take an objective though

Then go back to WoW please. I hated Arena and it ruins the game of PVE for Arena only.

PVP should be fun and Arena makes PVP a job or your lifes work. But not fun at all. More like study for a test.

But............

Your first problem is thinking Arenas is end game PvP. Sure, it can be fun at times for the competition, but IMO it gets stale real quick. I guess you have never experienced true open world PvP in a real sandbox game. Personally, I think they need to do away with instanced PvP and get back to helping world PvP flourish. Arenas, would be fine as a side show, but not as the main staple.

Then go back to WoW please. I hated Arena and it ruins the game of PVE for Arena only.

PVP should be fun and Arena makes PVP a job or your lifes work. But not fun at all. More like study for a test.

lol nope, the game caters to people like me, its why I always win in WZ's. I actually take the time to learn other classes and research how to counter them. You should go play Mario.

I just find the whole thing funny. Due to the pace of technological growth and the massive increase in bandwidth, we should be seeing games with hundreds of players fighting other over vast areas.

Instead people want a feature that was common in a select few MUDS back in the early 90s.

That statement is so ignorant.. I don't even know why I bother to reply.

Hundreds of players all going at once? Yeah that is awesome to test your skills.

Arena is a place COMPETITIVE players LOVE to go. They are matched up in an even environment where skill increase is bound to happen the more you play. You are forced to learn EVERY class and EVERY skill just to compete. It is such a technical game of knowing when certain abilities are going to occur and come off cooldown, being constantly aware of your surroundings and synchronizing playstyles with your team that players like yourself that simply cannot learn or cannot be bothered to learn such match deciding factors you CRY. You CRY that it is too much, or you won't enjoy it because of imbalance etc. The truth is, GOOD players will always reign supreme in such environments. Not because they are an OP class or combination. But. Because. They. Are. Good. Players.

Arena opens up the game to ALL competitive players, and if done right can be a great step forward.