Quests Bias towards Stealth classes

CorbennDallas

There are too many quests in this game that are more difficult for stealth classes to complete solo.

For example [AREA] Sabotage the Gormak

This quest is Not Heroic, you click on a tech cache and it spawns 2 level 46 Strong Trooper class Gormak. Now normally this is no big deal at all for me, I stealth in and Mind Maze one drop the other and move on to the CC'd one. HOWEVER, these types of quests put you in combat when the mobs spawn even if you stealth right after you click the cache.

Now you may think "Oh well Vanish and reset it so you can Mind Maze" Yea well this doesn't work either because as soon as you vanish the mobs despawn. Shadows survive by starting the fight on their terms. Too many quests even in my class specific line take that ability away.

One thing that has worked for me, and no, it's not a great strategy to use, is to die after killing one or more of the mobs in the fight against the big guy (after the dialogue). Then when I revive (there), whatever is left is now active and waiting for me to do something AFTER I stealth.

Works in most cases, but the sad thing is you have to die first before it actually works. And I have no idea how it might work on the very high levels, as this tactic has only worked about up to 20th level or so.

I have run into a few of these, honestly . . . I just respeced tank spec, and went with a healing companion and now the game is easy mode.

Soloed a heroic 2 with up to 3 elites hitting me (was a few levels lower than me.)

Edited by Xzulld

I agree that the de-spawn when doing the combat stealth is a terrible game mechanic. Even if it's just a single enemy, you miss out on your backstab or other alpha strike that the stealth ACs rely on to do the damage they need.

to be fair, how many quests are far easier because you have stealth? it seems like a good compromise that every once in a far while you have to fight without stealth

I can think of a few heroic areas where you could stealth in, grab the object (even if you die afterwards) and be able to solo it

Edited by Redial

Though there is a anti-stealth bias:

50-60 yards aggro range/stealth detection

20 yard normal aggro range

Yeah, right >.>

this is especially frustrating in flashpoints - where more or less EVERY Boss has stealth detection, i.e. no openers for you...

Edited by stupidhero

I agree that the de-spawn when doing the combat stealth is a terrible game mechanic. Even if it's just a single enemy, you miss out on your backstab or other alpha strike that the stealth ACs rely on to do the damage they need.

Not only that, but my force regen is based on me starting my attack from stealth! If I'm not allowed to stealth first then I am severly starved on force. This also comes into play in flash points because no matter where you are in the flash point if the tank pulls, your stuck in combat.

There are too many quests in this game that are more difficult for stealth classes to complete solo.

This quest is Not Heroic, you click on a tech cache and it spawns 2 level 46 Strong Trooper class Gormak. Now normally this is no big deal at all for me, I stealth in and Mind Maze one drop the other and move on to the CC'd one. HOWEVER, these types of quests put you in combat when the mobs spawn even if you stealth right after you click the cache.

Now you may think "Oh well Vanish and reset it so you can Mind Maze" Yea well this doesn't work either because as soon as you vanish the mobs despawn. Shadows survive by starting the fight on their terms. Too many quests even in my class specific line take that ability away.

Stealth through many of the quests and you'll find yourself having to space or PVP to get xp even if you don't want too.

Though there is a anti-stealth bias:

50-60 yards aggro range/stealth detection

20 yard normal aggro range

Yeah, right >.>

this is especially frustrating in flashpoints - where more or less EVERY Boss has stealth detection, i.e. no openers for you...

OH GOD thank you I'm not the only one, I thought I was Insane. HATE flash points, I have to start from stealth to do proper damage. However I am standing 20 yds BEHIND the tank, activate stealth and BOOM the boss aggro's on me....

Taris definitely is, unless you enjoy killing ENDLESS mobs. I swear that planet BLOWs when trying to level in the early 30-35 range, basically stealth everywhere, and then speeder to the next location (no use of mount at all, basically impossible with aggro)

Is your issue that you cant CC because you cant stealth? How do you think people that dont have CC would do it?

I play a stealth class (34 IA) and played one in beta (42 Scoundrel). I enjoyed it and had no issues. Heck, as others said you can do things many cant because of stealth (for example, I have gotten all the datacrons on Ald and NS in the high level areas when I was still tiny).

I have had no problems (at this point) and enjoy tough difficulty. I think most of the time you will find that using proper tactics will let you win the fight. If things are too hard, just come back in a level or two and try again.

I am a Shadow. I can bypass mobs when I want and do at times. But when I do I can tell you that I am also bypassing sub content at times doing so. Most often I will kill to see if there's sub quests then run them. BUT doing so I also loose out on drops. It's a double edged sword.

You know I reread and kind of wonder why you're having issues. I did this at lvl 44 with my healing pet.

to be fair, how many quests are far easier because you have stealth? it seems like a good compromise that every once in a far while you have to fight without stealth

I can think of a few heroic areas where you could stealth in, grab the object (even if you die afterwards) and be able to solo it

That's possibly true. However then you miss out on likely multiple bonus quests.

Stealthing in this game isn't the advantage it is in other games due to those quests. You lose out on tons of exp, commendations, and possibly items if you avoid killing things.

As a scoundrel, I rely on shoot first to do a large quantity of damage and activate my upper hand, which allows me (I'm a sawbones) to immediately trigger pugnacity to boost my energy regen so I can heal corso through the fight.

Not being able to use stealth to start means I have to give up that large quantity of opening damage, on top of having to cast a 25 energy heal (or close in to use a pistol whip) in order to trigger pugnacity.

DPS scoundrels have it worse, as they both get more from their pugnacity, and can use the upper hand buff to immediately use sucker punch for even bigger burst. Without it they have to wait until their companion gets aggro to move behind and back blast, which is significantly weaker.

You have to learn to manage, like gunslingers and snipers do. We can't start a lot of fights like that on our own terms either (in cover), but we do our best to cope.

That quest was impossible for me to do solo, I tried everything as a Scoundrel. I saw a Sith Marauder try it also, and he failed everytime. So that is a difficult quest in general. But as you said if I could sap it would have been easy.

That quest was impossible for me to do solo, I tried everything as a Scoundrel. I saw a Sith Marauder try it also, and he failed everytime. So that is a difficult quest in general. But as you said if I could sap it would have been easy.

As I said earlier.....Vanish. Use you vanish skill to start out in stealth and go to town.

As I said earlier.....Vanish. Use you vanish skill to start out in stealth and go to town.

As the person stated in the OP, when you vanish the mobs despawn.

It is no big deal, I grouped up and did it.

Edited by Bollah