SWTOR: The most unsubscribed-to mmo in 2012?

Khors

Regarding the subject for a few reasons from my early-to mid-game experience, level 27, I'm wondering if many more than expected will unsubscribe to TOR more quickly than anticipated.

So this is my constructive open thoughts.

It (TOR) has had one of the most robust box/digital downloads since its’ release, and knowing that historically ~60% of mmo enthusiasts over the last several years looking for massively-multiplayer entertainment in past games unsubscribe 3-6months out from lack of massively-multiplayer features and content to justify $15/month, it comes to reason that when the majority discover how non massively-multiplayer this game is, it will be the same % of unsubscribers, maybe more.

Maybe more because Bioware fans that are historically very entertained by Biowares Single-Player Cinematic RPG’s will be scratching their heads as to why their paying $15/month for what feels like their new Single-Player RPG, as opposed to a community-centric organically influenced massively-multiplayer game.

- Tor feels like having the least Massively-Multiplayer features & content of any mainstream labeled mmo aside from STO.

- My transition from Starter area to early-game felt like AoC's Tortage all over again. Very entertaining and lush game-play with story and players abound that you relied on to cooperatively complete content in a challenging environment, leading to post-early game to mid-game where your game-play becomes more redundant of the same content and much more confining in very closed-off and tightly pathed instanced zones.

- Post starter area to mid-game content is not organic; there are absolutely no open-world dynamic events or community triggered or driven events; everything is a short-term staged scrimmage against static & predictable moles that add nothing to the atmosphere, other than those mobs standing on a cube waiting to be attacked by a player.

- So for now, the feeling is one of extreme & heavily instanced linearly pathed & redundant content ‘without’ open-world post-starter to mid-game, but confining pathed maps barren of players.

- There are no open-world challenging cooperatively community driven and influenced content; no community-influenced or incentivised dynamic events which involve the battle of Republic vs Empire factions, compounding there being absolutely no meaningfully faction vs faction game-play early to mid-game.

- I don't feel as though players are important to the community or core of game-play, that other players involvement in game-play, traversing a map, mission completion involvement, crafting, merchandising, or trades matters.

- Therefore, I dont get the sense that there is any importance placed on player/community crafting, merchandising & economy when there is the high drop-rate or green, blue and orange items in the general game-play quest-lines and drops from general mobs. Therefore, crafting, merchandising and trades for an emphasis on a massively-multiplayer community-driven economy is significantly undermined.

- Eventhough my server is "Heavy", getting a group for a Flashpoint or Heroic near-promptly is uncommon, as there doesn't appear to be any players in terms of numbers that should account for it being "Heavy".

- There is an incredible emphasis on single-player-esque quests. Bioware has certainly compounded the term ‘Questing’ into ‘Laborious Chore’. The mass amounts of side quests that are a core game-play design feature which I always end up with is astounding; a full quest log of the same fetch, kill 10, 25, 50, fed-ex runs, etc. It really does take away a lot of the feeling of urgency from your main story and importance of completion and de-emphasizes massively-multiplayer. Character progression is mostly a redundant & repetitive single-player chore due to this.

- There is no multi-user feature to space combat, it compounds the feeling of the game (TOR) as a single-player game even more-so. So, space combat is single-player, not massively-multiplayer. It's static and doesn't contribute to the struggle of Republic vs Empire within what should be an influential massively-multiplayer environment.

With space combat in it's current developmental state and having it featured as a main element of game-play without any massively-multiplayer content or features is disappointing to say the least. Who would have thought that they'd be paying $15/month for content that amounts to Star Wars X-Wing Fighter game-play.

- Player-involved against player-involved combative & cooperative and competitive content is pathetic and massively-multiplayer meaningless. One can’t choose the warzone they want to play. Only to have 3 shoe-box mini-map 10 v 10 warzones to randomly get pushed into is shallow. There are no meaningful personal rewards or achievements that one can accomplish early to mid-game to strive to differentiate you within the community, or strive to differentiate your guild or faction within the community. Many matches leaves one side down from early game and serial leavers that flood a match compounds loss, while level 10-20 players are matched with level 40-50 players with greater access to skills in a bolster system that is nothing but ineffective. All while pugs are matched against pre-mades with gives a sizable communication, familiarity, cooperation and coordination disadvantage to the pug team.

- Targeting system is horrible and doesn't work well in Warzone matches, compounding the frustration of aforementioned flaws of the PvP system.

- The "Stuff" bioware is "working" on is "stuff" that should have been launch-ready; such as UI. Speaking of, the UI staticness and lack of functionality and modification is horrible, while Raid frames are rudimentary and lacking by not updating correctly without being able to see debuffs at all..

- LFG system is completely useless, can't search globally for people who are LFG.

- No combat logs.

- On a labeled Heavily Populated server, zones seem barren of players, compounding the lack of feel of massively-multiplayer.

- Character / Race customization not close to any other mainstream MMO, not to mentioned complete lack of gear appearance customization, which is arguably another indicator this game lacks the massively-multiplayer features to really allow players to distinguish themselves in what should be a persistent massively-multiplayer universe, as opposed to being a mirror image of the other players standing next to you.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm guessing, and this is just a guess, but you're not enjoying the game?

Some points are valid; I liked the suggestion of some form of dynamic 'pull' to help congregrate players in the open world. Very sensible, especially to promote PvP, or just community.

Why not make those points sensibly instead of writing flamebait?

Edited by Grammarye

I have a feeling WoW will see the most unsubs.

I haven't met a person yet who doesn't laugh hysterically when faced with the new WoW expansion.

"First, we brought you the Orc homeworld!

Then we brought you the conclusion of story that started in WC3

Then we brought the return of DEATHWING!

NOW!

NOW!

PREPARE!

FOR PANDAS IN CHINA!"

Wait... what?

I was literally in tears laughing when I saw the release info, I honestly checked what month it was.

But nah, they're actually serious.

I don't know a single human being who's interested in playing Pandas in China.

blah blah blah sky is falling blah blah blah not happy blah blah blah anyone who disagrees with me is a "insert witty fan comment here" and more blah. That sums up everyone one of these post and make me look forward to the day these 30 day people leave.

After reading over half the post, semi agreeing while not agreeing, i scroll back up and re-read the top "constructive" whait.. hold it, nothing i read was constructive, it was a rant, a QQ post, well written but still a common QQ post.

If you call the post constructive, you need to:

1. problem

2. solution

3.either another solution, or a proposed revamp\change\overhaul

You just said things in a matter-of-fact way makign them seam as everyone was agreeing and this was facts, and not the opinion based rant it is.

im not even gona bother to argue whit you over you`re own argument as pro\cons for the game, becouse i know you only seek attention and do not whant to do anything remotly constuctive here.

I have a feeling WoW will see the most unsubs.

I haven't met a person yet who doesn't laugh hysterically when faced with the new WoW expansion.

"First, we brought you the Orc homeworld!

Then we brought you the conclusion of story that started in WC3

Then we brought the return of DEATHWING!

NOW!

NOW!

PREPARE!

FOR PANDAS IN CHINA!"

Wait... what?

I was literally in tears laughing when I saw the release info, I honestly checked what month it was.

But nah, they're actually serious.

I don't know a single human being who's interested in playing Pandas in China.

I hate WoW fanboys as much as the next guy but respect the company my friend. Pandaren were actually supposed to be released in WoW's second expansion, The Burning Crusade. Anyone who has a decent knowledge of Warcraft's history will know that Pandaren have been in the lore for quite some time and it's not unexpected at all that they would bring it to Pandaria (stupid name I know).

As for the original post: lol. People seem to forget that the person that developed this MMO is BioWare. Known as one of the greatest SINGLE-PLAYER RPG developers out there. There aren't many companies that can just release a huge MMO based on such a rich, lore-filled world and make it as amazing as it is now. Sure, it's lacking now, but there is no way that BioWare would have known to implement this and that because quite frankly, they've never done this before.

People forget that WoW was absolutely terrible once. Blizzard was also a developer that jumped into the world of MMO's with no previous experience and what did they do? Well, their game was initially for basement dweller's but over time they implemented the necessary features to bring their game to peak at 10 million subscriber's. This is on top of the fact that I'm sure there were initially less WarCraft fans before WoW than there are Star Wars fans.

SWTOR has the absolute best foundation to work with out of any MMO released to date. It is up to BioWare to build off of SWTOR's release and to give us the amazing product we all deserve.

Wall of Text.

WoW saw a peak of 12.7 million subscriptions in late wrath/early cata.

Now there is about 11 million. That means more people have unsubbed from WoW in 24 months than have even signed up for SWTOR.

After EVERY sub-surge in EVERY game to EVER exist there is ALWAYS a surge of unsubs. And that is not only expected but totally ok. Is this a wonderful game, for me it is. For another it may not be. I have two friends that after 5 years in WoW say that Allods is way better. I have a roomate that still says Aion is the best MMO ever made... Some people like one thing. others like another. I don't have a weird affinity for red meat. Some guys worship it. Different strokes for different folks. I am glad this dude came to a conclusion but man do I wish these quitters would just keep it to themselves. If you dislike the game, you have nothing more to add.

Side Note: My alt, lvl 21 assassin, ***** 50s all day long. I noticed the IMBA BGs at fist but now it seems fine most of the time. Dude got OWNED and decided to post a wall of text on the matter.

Edited by Vastalee
removed insult

I hate WoW fanboys as much as the next guy but respect the company my friend. Pandaren were actually supposed to be released in WoW's second expansion, The Burning Crusade. Anyone who has a decent knowledge of Warcraft's history will know that Pandaren have been in the lore for quite some time and it's not unexpected at all that they would bring it to Pandaria (stupid name I know).

As for the original post: lol. People seem to forget that the person that developed this MMO is BioWare. Known as one of the greatest SINGLE-PLAYER RPG developers out there. There aren't many companies that can just release a huge MMO based on such a rich, lore-filled world and make it as amazing as it is now. Sure, it's lacking now, but there is no way that BioWare would have known to implement this and that because quite frankly, they've never done this before.

People forget that WoW was absolutely terrible once. Blizzard was also a developer that jumped into the world of MMO's with no previous experience and what did they do? Well, their game was initially for basement dweller's but over time they implemented the necessary features to bring their game to peak at 10 million subscriber's. This is on top of the fact that I'm sure there were initially less WarCraft fans before WoW than there are Star Wars fans.

SWTOR has the absolute best foundation to work with out of any MMO released to date. It is up to BioWare to build off of SWTOR's release and to give us the amazing product we all deserve.

Wall of Text.

Hehehe, Good post. It is easy to discredit something before even giving it a chance. Not even 30 days into live and so many posts about waaah waahh boo hooo. Give it 3 months and then maybe throw an opinion out.

Regarding the subject for a few reasons from my early-to mid-game experience, level 27, I'm wondering if many more than expected will unsubscribe to TOR more quickly than anticipated.

It (TOR) has had one of the most robust box/digital downloads since its’ release, and knowing that historically ~60% of mmo enthusiasts over the last several years looking for massively-multiplayer entertainment in past games unsubscribe 3-6months out from lack of massively-multiplayer features and content to justify $15/month, it comes to reason that when the majority discover how non massively-multiplayer this game is, it will be the same % of unsubscribers, maybe more.

Maybe more because Bioware fans that are historically very entertained by Biowares Single-Player Cinematic RPG’s will be scratching their heads as to why their paying $15/month for what feels like their new Single-Player RPG, as opposed to a community-centric organically influenced massively-multiplayer game.

Congrats on pulling numbers out of your rear. Also I haven't felt any difference from any other MMO to this one. I see other players constantly...but you know the difference is I can fairly well progress on my own without needing them...then again most MMO's these days have started to push towards that with a few notable exceptions (note: Wow is not one of those exceptions).

- Tor feels like having the least Massively-Multiplayer features & content of any mainstream labeled mmo aside from STO.

Uh ok...if you say so. Glad you're specific here.

- My transition from Starter area to early-game felt like AoC's Tortage all over again. Very entertaining and lush game-play with story and players abound that you relied on to cooperatively complete content in a challenging environment, leading to post-early game to mid-game where your game-play becomes more redundant of the same content and much more confining in very closed-off and tightly pathed instanced zones.

I have yet to get this feeling at all... Tortage to everything else was jarring as you had this nice storyline path to follow with voice acting and all and then went to bleh text and you're just kinda there int he world. That is not the case at all here.

- Post starter area to mid-game content is not organic; there are absolutely no open-world dynamic events or community triggered or driven events; everything is a short-term staged scrimmage against static & predictable moles that add nothing to the atmosphere, other than those mobs standing on a cube waiting to be attacked by a player.

I have no idea what you mean by organic. I've been on lots of other MMO's in the past and have rarely ever seen dynamic world events. for mid levels. On the other hand depending on which of the several servers I'm on, where I am, and at what time, theres constantly people in the general chat setting big things up. Was constantly seeing groups being set up for world bosses and other such things.

- So for now, the feeling is one of extreme & heavily instanced linearly pathed & redundant content ‘without’ open-world post-starter to mid-game, but confining pathed maps barren of players.

Not been the case with me at all. Then again every MMO I've seen has a fairly linear path to the top as well. You go here do these quests, which then direct you to the next area of quests, which then direct you to the next area of quests and so on and so forth...I've yet to meet a MMO that has not had a linear system like this outside of Shadowbane.

- There are no open-world challenging cooperatively community driven and influenced content; no community-influenced or incentivised dynamic events which involve the battle of Republic vs Empire factions, compounding there being absolutely no meaningfully faction vs faction game-play early to mid-game.

The only game I've ever seen faction vs faction gameplay in early game was everquest 2. Beyond that...not really. But I generally avoid PvP servers as i generally tend to dislike the communities there.

- I don't feel as though players are important to the community or core of game-play, that other players involvement in game-play, traversing a map, mission completion involvement, crafting, merchandising, or trades matters.

Ok...? Since you give us no idea why you don't feel that I can't really debate your point here.

- Therefore, I dont get the sense that there is any importance placed on player/community crafting, merchandising & economy when there is the high drop-rate or green, blue and orange items in the general game-play quest-lines and drops from general mobs. Therefore, crafting, merchandising and trades for an emphasis on a massively-multiplayer community-driven economy is significantly undermined.

Ok because you feel (for some reason that you don't explain) that players aren't important for anything you don't get the sense that people are important in anything in the game. Ok...that makes sense but saying the same thing twice in a row doesn't make things true.

- Eventhough my server is "Heavy", getting a group for a Flashpoint or Heroic near-promptly is uncommon, as there doesn't appear to be any players in terms of numbers that should account for it being "Heavy".

Ok...I've had a completely different experiance.

- There is an incredible emphasis on single-player-esque quests. Bioware has certainly compounded the term ‘Questing’ into ‘Laborious Chore’. The mass amounts of side quests that are a core game-play design feature which I always end up with is astounding; a full quest log of the same fetch, kill 10, 25, 50, fed-ex runs, etc. It really does take away a lot of the feeling of urgency from your main story and importance of completion and de-emphasizes massively-multiplayer. Character progression is mostly a redundant & repetitive single-player chore due to this.

This is no different than any other MMO. You get a bunch of quests that are kill 10, 25, 50 ect...you do them...profit. Guess what if you do them with someone else they go even quicker! And the best part...most of those side quests happen on the way to your main quests... So I'm failing to see where anything you're talking about makes sense, or breaks with other MMO's.

- There is no multi-user feature to space combat, it compounds the feeling of the game (TOR) as a single-player game even more-so. So, space combat is single-player, not massively-multiplayer. It's static and doesn't contribute to the struggle of Republic vs Empire within what should be an influential massively-multiplayer environment.

With space combat in it's current developmental state and having it featured as a main element of game-play without any massively-multiplayer content or features is disappointing to say the least. Who would have thought that they'd be paying $15/month for content that amounts to Star Wars X-Wing Fighter game-play.

I've yet to see where space combat has been featured as a main element of game play. I've talked to plenty of people in game who love it and plenty who hate it. I know plenty of people who just ignore it all together. Personally I find it a nice break from the normal questing and do it occasionally just for something different for a few mins.

Also I have no clue what point you're trying to make with your first paragraph...

- Player-involved against player-involved combative & cooperative and competitive content is pathetic and massively-multiplayer meaningless. One can’t choose the warzone they want to play. Only to have 3 shoe-box mini-map 10 v 10 warzones to randomly get pushed into is shallow. There are no meaningful personal rewards or achievements that one can accomplish early to mid-game to strive to differentiate you within the community, or strive to differentiate your guild or faction within the community. Many matches leaves one side down from early game and serial leavers that flood a match compounds loss, while level 10-20 players are matched with level 40-50 players with greater access to skills in a bolster system that is nothing but ineffective. All while pugs are matched against pre-mades with gives a sizable communication, familiarity, cooperation and coordination disadvantage to the pug team.

- Targeting system is horrible and doesn't work well in Warzone matches, compounding the frustration of aforementioned flaws of the PvP system.

Theres issues with the PVP side of things. I certainly won't deny that. I don't think they're as bad as you say for the warzone matches (outside of premade vs pubs god that sucks).

- The "Stuff" bioware is "working" on is "stuff" that should have been launch-ready; such as UI. Speaking of, the UI staticness and lack of functionality and modification is horrible, while Raid frames are rudimentary and lacking by not updating correctly without being able to see debuffs at all..

- LFG system is completely useless, can't search globally for people who are LFG.

- No combat logs.

UI does need more customization. LFG system has been useless in every MMO i've ever seen it in outside of maybe DDO, but it could be vastly improved here. We do need a combat log if only to see where things stand currently.

- On a labeled Heavily Populated server, zones seem barren of players, compounding the lack of feel of massively-multiplayer.

You see barren zones...I'm constantly running across players all over the place.

- Character / Race customization not close to any other mainstream MMO, not to mentioned complete lack of gear appearance customization, which is arguably another indicator this game lacks the massively-multiplayer features to really allow players to distinguish themselves in what should be a persistent massively-multiplayer universe, as opposed to being a mirror image of the other players standing next to you.

Really now. Because theres far less customization in WOW than here. Other MMO's have more but to say 'any other mainstream MMO' is essentailly a flat out lie.

Wall of Text.

I'm fully aware Pandarans have been in Warcraft lore since WC3.

They're still stupid and uninspired.

Signs you're a bad fantasy writer:

You make an anthropomorphic beast race that just mirrors the culture of a real earth race.

Warcraft lore is bad, from a game design and literary standpoint.

It's Warhammer with a kid safe veneer.

Blizzard makes fantastic games.

Blizzard's writers have all the imagination of a braindead rock.

I'm fully aware Pandarans have been in Warcraft lore since WC3.

They're still stupid and uninspired.

Signs you're a bad fantasy writer:

You make an anthropomorphic beast race that just mirrors the culture of a real earth race.

Warcraft lore is bad, from a game design and literary standpoint.

It's Warhammer with a kid safe veneer.

Blizzard makes fantastic games.

Blizzard's writers have all the imagination of a braindead rock.

You, sir, are going to meet My Retro Pally Panda from Space and you will rue the day you spoke out of turn.

- No combat logs.

want sum cheese?