Is the community rotten?

Sigiles

This will probably be the billionth post asking whether or not the community of this game is rotten to the core, but anyway here I go.

My girlfriend has recently started playing this game, and she is new to the genre of MMO in general since this is her first MMO. Needless to say she lacks the skills of the "l33t" players of the world, because she is, in fact, new.

Recently she did Black Talon grouped with 3 others, and one of these was a prime example of what makes certain players avoid the MMO genre all together. I won't name names though.

He went on and on in the party chat about what a terrible player my girlfriend was and what a "n00b" she was. I was playing on another character at the time and she was seated next to me, so I whispered him and told him she was new and that he could keep his comments to himself, (add profanity).

This was obviously hilarious to him and he kept telling me how terrible she was at this game and said I should at least have taught her this and that. I know my girlfriend don't like people "backseat gaming", so I have let her learn the genre on her own, like I did. So she won't be as "good" as experienced players yet, but she'll get there in time, provided she keeps at it.

After that I just went along and ignored him on all my characters, only wish I could ignore his entire account, because I have no wish to play with a bile-spewing sewer troll like him.

I had hoped since this game was in the Star Wars universe it would attract an "older crowd" and reduce the chances of meeting people like this, but seems I was a tad optimistic.

I was happy when my girlfriend wanted to start playing this with me, but experiences like this won't do anything to make her want to play more.

Now I'm done fuming, sorry about that.

Has anyone had many similar experiences? Is the community better on other servers or was this the infamous bad apple that spoils the bunch?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will probably be the billionth post asking whether or not the community of this game is rotten to the core, but anyway here I go.

My girlfriend has recently started playing this game, and she is new to the genre of MMO in general since this is her first MMO. Needless to say she lacks the skills of the "l33t" players of the world, because she is, in fact, new.

Recently she did Black Talon grouped with 3 others, and one of these was a prime example of what makes certain players avoid the MMO genre all together. I won't name names though.

He went on and on in the party chat about what a terrible player my girlfriend was and what a "n00b" she was. I was playing on another character at the time and she was seated next to me, so I whispered him and told him she was new and that he could keep his comments to himself, (add profanity).

This was obviously hilarious to him and he kept telling me how terrible she was at this game and said I should at least have taught her this and that. I know my girlfriend don't like people "backseat gaming", so I have let her learn the genre on her own, like I did. So she won't be as "good" as experienced players yet, but she'll get there in time, provided she keeps at it.

After that I just went along and ignored him on all my characters, only wish I could ignore his entire account, because I have no wish to play with a bile-spewing sewer troll like him.

I had hoped since this game was in the Star Wars universe it would attract an "older crowd" and reduce the chances of meeting people like this, but seems I was a tad optimistic.

I was happy when my girlfriend wanted to start playing this with me, but experiences like this won't do anything to make her want to play more.

Now I'm done fuming, sorry about that.

Has anyone had many similar experiences? Is the community better on other servers or was this the infamous bad apple that spoils the bunch?

Thanks in advance.

It feels like you are just as new to MMOs as your girlfriend is. You were born yesterday it seems. Welcome to MMOs, welcome to life aswell.

It feels like you are just as new to MMOs as your girlfriend is. You were born yesterday it seems. Welcome to MMOs, welcome to life aswell.

Nah I've had several encounters with polite people, but that was recently and I've been playing MMO's for years. So I can't know if those polite people would be so polite if I was new and didn't meet their "expectations".

I could have been more specific about how I wondered if this kind of behavior was typical against new players, just not players in general.

Edited by Sigiles

Did you really have to mention your girlfriend 4 times in a way too large post just to ask whether the community is dead or not?

Read between the lines mate. This is not a post about a 'terrible community'. This is a post about 'OMG I have a girlfriend who plays star wars games'.

Of course the community is terrible. This is the only 'English' EU pvp server left. In an MMO.

Gz on the bird though.

Yeap - read this posts and you'll know it's rotten :p

So should he wrote "me and my special friend" so you wouldn't jump on him for having 'a gf'? Jeez grow up.

He could have mentioned her being a girlfriend once, and relied on us not being potatoes to realise who he was talking about, rather than mention it every paragraph almost.

i gues u found out thees alot of trolls here, but it exist some serous people out there as well, question is if u can find them :) amoungs Forum Warriors and trolls around here. And i was shure this forum was dead. Edited by KalElc

Jeez, you actually managed to make a deal out of the girlfriend part? IRL the OP probably just would have refered to her by name in the story, that's all there is to it.

That said, who the **** goes out of their way to ignore someone on all alts? Sounds like a lot of trouble.

Edited by MidichIorian

Everywhere on the internet you will find idiots because of anonymity and such..No different here just ignore and move on.

In this case i would say the guy is the idiot expecting people playing normal black talon to be pros at the game/there class :p

Did they actually complete it? If not it would have been more than your gf that is the problem in this scenario xD

Edited by AngusFTW

Welcome to fat nerds and 12 year olds everywhere pretending to be ****** when in fact they get locker stuffed on a daily bases, and yes OP mmo's attract people that fail at life to be successful be it popularity in highschool..or good jobs and money as adults, so they come here and flex their epeen.

Sorry your Girlfriend had to go thru that..but grats on having one.

Welcome to fat nerds and 12 year olds everywhere pretending to be ****** when in fact they get locker stuffed on a daily bases, and yes OP mmo's attract people that fail at life to be successful be it popularity in highschool..or good jobs and money as adults, so they come here and flex their epeen.

THAT POST ! ...is actually a familiar situation :rak_02:? i mean for u :sul_embarrassed:? i mean if you want to talk about it... i mean f... :mad:!

You want to seperate yourself from people who fail at life, and are unpopular... and then actually congratulate someone on having a girlfriend?

the ****?

Looks like the trolls in this thread are a perfect sample of the rotten community the OP was talking about. I can't believe you guys pounced on him for mentioning his girlfriend more than once when the post was about her experience. Looks like your passive aggressive behaviour is precisely because you have never had anything resembling a girlfriend :D

Anyway, as to the OP's post. MMOs are an outlet to a lot of people, just like the internet. Anonimity allows them to let out some steam and be rotten to other people. That being said, I have been playing on tofn for more than a year and have mostly met great people. So do what smart people do, befriend the nice people and ignore the aggressive losers.

Life is too short to put up with people's frustrations.

Edited by Pathlight-

Hey there,

Short answer : NO

Longer answer: Sadly the Trolls are the most vocal part of the game. As evidenced by some of the ****tard answers you have gotten so far. I mean flaming you about having a Girlfriend? Not particuarly helpful and only reinforces your initial impression.

I have had some brilliant conversations late at night/early morning with people in general chat. Speaking for the large percentage of the community with A. A braincell and B. Spellcheck I can assure you that there are plenty of normal, well educated and sane people playing this game. As for the eejits, well thats why the /ignore command was invented. Nitwits like the one you encountered will soon find themselves on everyone list. Then as they level up their

pool of people to enter Group Finder with / their bad rep will make it harder and harder to get a party or not be kicked.

Trust me I have initiated many a `vote to kick` in Flashpoints so never forget that ultimate weapon in your gaming arsenal. And I've never had one vote turned down so it is very effective. If your Girlfriend or yourself would like to have a look at my site its on my signature. It's been specifically designed to help new players and also fight back against the very attitude you have encountered.

I wish you both good luck and urge you to keep looking for sensible people and just ignore the vocal minority of kids on this game.

*anticipating a vile torrent of abuse for mentioning your girlfriend more than once, go on I dare you*

Oh and if you need more ammo I have a Girlfriend who plays this and other MMOs so nyah.

there a group of people that are a "Tanker" in the sensce that are mindlessy kill every thing in sight and its not melee classes are allways to blame but but there are alot of them.....you have to watch you play and timing but should come after more play but so never get it.

as to trolls and ****** (what ever that swear word) we cant understand that you and expect that i know what you know... is come what bad on the troll...say it with come clear words that i can read and are simlpe like iehutball"def on the ramps not on the wall on your line you will get jumpeed"instead of "what are you noob kick you out *****"no one knows what went down as to what happend or how they can make it better and all the trolls do is confuse the player that can't play well get better....and once i got blame for getting jumped on the line in huttball and i was no where near when it happend and i was in stealth at the time!! you get these people that blame everyone for lossing ..sometimes you get them soon they are banded as many time time to the point that its hard for them to group with other sometimes that the luck of the draw.

looting..just cause you are the only one with aim do not mean that all aim is your! as if ever drop is aim so..kicking someone out for that i say you stole my loot I say to them"spit the dummy out and stop thrown the toys out the pram"..loot when fight can get you dead it has happend afew time when healer is needed or watching the play.

two types of rusher

1)tanker that jump in everytime regardless expect you to heal 50m away(they are the one that vote to kick you out)

or if you need to heal up or under fire

2)ones that dont allow you to loot after the battle is over and want to finsh it before your finshed clearing the area like its a sever shutdown on the way and dont care about others

it been this bad over the summer for all kids need to bemore respect full and i will not be unexpected that in the next few year regulation and law may be put in place ithat if you say ***** ******(type) in any more than 2 time in a hour ona site or game you get baned from that site.

for someone who see power in hiding on the internet you trolls are going to clamp it down on everone cause you lot wont, cant or will not understand that what you type is binding and can not be undone..and be look as an offence by law that in the end the internet will be closed down and all the trolls that made the problem worse and make people give up the right of responsable free speech cause of you cowardes/thug like behaver that you would not say to some one face THEN DONT TYPE it type it in to your pc.

we dont want a sith rule on the internet or new world order....

there a group of people that are a "Tanker" in the sensce that are mindlessy kill every thing in sight and its not melee classes are allways to blame but but there are alot of them.....you have to watch you play and timing but should come after more play but so never get it.

as to trolls and ****** (what ever that swear word) we cant understand that you and expect that i know what you know... is come what bad on the troll...say it with come clear words that i can read and are simlpe like iehutball"def on the ramps not on the wall on your line you will get jumpeed"instead of "what are you noob kick you out *****"no one knows what went down as to what happend or how they can make it better and all the trolls do is confuse the player that can't play well get better....and once i got blame for getting jumped on the line in huttball and i was no where near when it happend and i was in stealth at the time!! you get these people that blame everyone for lossing ..sometimes you get them soon they are banded as many time time to the point that its hard for them to group with other sometimes that the luck of the draw.

looting..just cause you are the only one with aim do not mean that all aim is your! as if ever drop is aim so..kicking someone out for that i say you stole my loot I say to them"spit the dummy out and stop thrown the toys out the pram"..loot when fight can get you dead it has happend afew time when healer is needed or watching the play.

two types of rusher

1)tanker that jump in everytime regardless expect you to heal 50m away(they are the one that vote to kick you out)

or if you need to heal up or under fire

2)ones that dont allow you to loot after the battle is over and want to finsh it before your finshed clearing the area like its a sever shutdown on the way and dont care about others

it been this bad over the summer for all kids need to bemore respect full and i will not be unexpected that in the next few year regulation and law may be put in place ithat if you say ***** ******(type) in any more than 2 time in a hour ona site or game you get baned from that site.

for someone who see power in hiding on the internet you trolls are going to clamp it down on everone cause you lot wont, cant or will not understand that what you type is binding and can not be undone..and be look as an offence by law that in the end the internet will be closed down and all the trolls that made the problem worse and make people give up the right of responsable free speech cause of you cowardes/thug like behaver that you would not say to some one face THEN DONT TYPE it type it in to your pc.

we dont want a sith rule on the internet or new world order....

Says the person with 100 valor and min/maxed sentinel, yet can't manage to get more than 170k damage in a full length Voidstar NOT on guard duty... :rolleyes:

Says the person with 100 valor and min/maxed sentinel, yet can't manage to get more than 170k damage in a full length Voidstar NOT on guard duty... :rolleyes:

Hey Tanvir, I really dont know who you are. I see you all the time on the forum, but never notice you in the game. Either you are exceptionally good at this game and look down on others, or you are not that good and try to make others look as bad as you. Which one are you?