What is the point of housing?

Songano

Housing has no point.

It's way too simplistic and restrictive to cater to the housing and decorating demographic while failing to serve any other function outside of a massive credit and cartel coin sink with a glorified resource bank attached to it. Which in itself is a massive cartel coin and credit sink.

You mean it's too simplistic and restrictive to cater to the picky crowd... Alot of people who have tried housing in other games still like the one we get here.

I find that it's mainly people from SWG that are upset that it's not a carbon copy of SWG.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simplistic and restrictive for those who have tried housing in other MMO's, NOT for people who are new to the concept, my case included.

That's great. What happens when you get tired of the limitations and want to start making your house your "home" as it were?

The hooks are great if you want to transform your house to look like every other area in the game, not for making anything unique to your own personality. All you are really doing is picking a theme for a given room with some screenshot trophies on the wall.

What was the point of introducing a housing if not to compete with other housing systems?

You mean it's too simplistic and restrictive to cater to the picky crowd... Alot of people who have tried housing in other games still like the one we get here.

I find that it's mainly people from SWG that are upset that it's not a carbon copy of SWG.

More like people that expect new content to be new. Not rendered obsolete by decade old content in a defunct game that another popular title chose improve upon, rather than dumb down.

You're just being unnecessarily derogatory.

Edited by Vinak

That's great. What happens when you get tired of the limitations and want to start making your house your "home" as it were? (...)

I'll worry about that once I get there, assuming I agree with you on those "limitations".

Edited by Darth_Wicked

That's great. What happens when you get tired of the limitations and want to start making your house your "home" as it were?

Well, not everybody is bothered by the same limitations. There are always limitations anyway, it's just a matter of do they bother you or not.

From what I saw in the hook system in the livestreams even on a given hook you have the possibility to move items in the sense of the direction of the item and you are able to move things off center from that hook point.

It isn't total freedom of course but it may very well be, also considering that there are a lot of hooks to put stuff on or in, that it is enough freedom for most players.

There always have to be limitations, you can see them as a problem, as unimportant or a challenge. That's still our own choice. Freedom lies largely in how you respond to limitations rather than the limitations themselves but we all have different tolerances.

So I can see why you would be annoyed by them. Personally I don't expect to be annoyed by them but that's personal. What I do think is that what you want would mean a complete rebuilt of the housing system. They can tweak things still but I don't think they would rebuild the whole thing.

So your opinion is surely noted by them but it's not likely to be a tweakable thing so I don't think it even has a remote chance of changing their minds on this.

Edited by Tsillah

That said, the whole system is more antiquated than Lotro's, which has been around for years..

That is patently false. The SWTOR system has a much more sophisticated hook system and allows objects to be rotated and moved unlike LOTRO. The only hing LOTRO has that SWTOR lacks is the ability to colour the walls and floors differently.

I don't know... what do you do at home when you get tired of the way it looks?

Oh, right, I forgot... you probably already have your bed suspended from the roof with a stairway built out of books that lead up in a spiral to the bed and your TV is on a platform you built out of discarded xboxes to look like a statue with the TV for a head...

Right?

I mean, you can't possibly live in one of those boring apartments or houses where the bed is on the floor next to a wall and your TV is mounted on the wall across from a sofa and a table... because that wouldn't really feel like a "home" as it were, amirite? :rolleyes:

EDIT: You know what's funny? People hold up SWG as an example of how to do it "right"... but if you google SWG House you'll get a bunch of pictures of the interior of houses that look like... well... regular houses. With the chairs on the ground, arranged around tables and beds towards the wall and paintings on the walls... very few actually take full advantage of the free placement to make the house look like some sort of fairground or art exibit. Most actually just do what you can do in this game.

That is, to make a home.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Oh, I would strongly disagree with this point OEE. The scuttlebut around the net seems to be mostly from folks that like Wildstars housing and hate Lotros style. SWG is rarely mentioned from what I can see.

I would say perhaps most of the folks on THIS forum that do not like the current housing system are fans of SWGs system. But that doesn't seem to be the norm outside this forum...and I would also point out that SWTOR and LotRO are not the only games getting criticized....WoW is catching flack in the conversations as well.

Oh, I would strongly disagree with this point OEE. The scuttlebut around the net seems to be mostly from folks that like Wildstars housing and hate Lotros style. SWG is rarely mentioned from what I can see.

I would say perhaps most of the folks on THIS forum that do not like the current housing system are fans of SWGs system. But that doesn't seem to be the norm outside this forum...and I would also point out that SWTOR and LotRO are not the only games getting criticized....WoW is catching flack in the conversations as well.

It's funny how it took a modern MMO LAUNCHING with housing to get the other MMOs to now scramble to put it in.

For me, the same things I do on board a ship. Except with a better view.

Strongholds will also give me a reason to run Underworld Trading luxury fabric missions.

I'm not big on decorating my Stronghold, but there are a few items I've seen that I like.

It's a lifeless exhibition hall of stuff.

They created housing free of any fun. You have to respect this achievement by BioWare. Any other person would have tried to make housing fun.

So true!

PVE / PVP mission terminals - NO

Fleet chat for various LFG's - NO

Legacy Storage - muahahaha aka NO

What's left? Exactly a lifeless exhibition that we're somehow supposed to motivated to buy and grind stuff for. Another potentially great but eventually annihilated game feature. Thank you BW

Edited by Preston_Violent

And I'm only talking about this forum.

But alot of the people who have said they wished it was more like SWG often also refer to wildstar as the "bright example" of how to do it.

And I'm only talking about this forum.

But alot of the people who have said they wished it was more like SWG often also refer to wildstar as the "bright example" of how to do it.

I have to agree. I've seen various people mention Wildstar here on the forum when it comes to housing.

^ This...

I've been saying for some time that this game is in maintenance mode, but the fans here don't want to hear it... they keep saying, "well if you don't like it, leave", or "see, there is new content, housing or PvP space or whatever, the game isn't dead".

Whatever, the last real story we got is over a year old, the last real core content is approaching a year...

It has been too long.

I don't think it's in maintenance mode, I think this is just the way most MMOs operate regardless of how much money they make. Each xpac, WoW has major content droughts as all of their devs are tied up making the next xpac. They certainly weren't hurting for money. Wildstar uses gating and grinds to extend content life. Rift had the best content release cycle but they aren't a big player anymore.

Edited by Projawa

Is there some way to interact with placed objects? So far it just looks like you can place all kinds of objects/items in your stronghold but cant use any of it. You cant even use chairs or your bed. Ok, you can use /chair for the immersion of really sitting on a chair, but you will get bad clipping doing that (legs going through the chair.). So what is the point? Can you prove me wrong and tell me about usable items inside a stronghold?

they have to have somewhere to place the credit sinks they are producing instead of content.

a place where i can do stuff and not have to worry about gold spam. there will be things like vendors mailboxes gtn terminals, cargo bays, crafting droids etc

started getting in game whispers of gold spam..a lvl 1 can sit on hutta and whisper you now..not to mention the gold spammers running a bot to level.they sit on the crates in the first area on hutta slowly spinning around and shooting whatever rezzes. takes CS 3 days to respond so they are lvl 7 and on fleet annoying people before BW pulls their heads out and notices.

Oh, right, I forgot... you probably already have your bed suspended from the roof with a stairway built out of books that lead up in a spiral to the bed and your TV is on a platform you built out of discarded xboxes to look like a statue with the TV for a head...

Right?

I.

how did you get in my house!!!!!!

I can't really see the point of it.

Now I have no expectation that the devs will read this. But what they have created is a stand alone environment in which decorating your virtual home is very time consuming and likely expensive. But because its in a vacuum who is really going to appreciate it or what role is it going to play after all those hours and millions of credits spent. Where SWG you were part of a community and people could visit or use it as a shop. Here its a very minor aspect and then forgotten, which given the time spent on it is a failing.

Even as I stood on my balcony over looking the city it was very apparent that it was no part of a living breathing world but a lobby area to hide until I go back out to run dailies or ops or flash points. Im unsure what makes it more enjoyable that logging off and sitting on my own sofa watching tv.

^ This...

I've been saying for some time that this game is in maintenance mode, but the fans here don't want to hear it... they keep saying, "well if you don't like it, leave", or "see, there is new content, housing or PvP space or whatever, the game isn't dead".

Whatever, the last real story we got is over a year old, the last real core content is approaching a year...

It has been too long.

Now you're just being ridiculous. No game making hundreds of millions per year would be put into maintenance mode. It's one of the top MMOs in the world with multiple expansions this year alone. New features being added every six months or so.

I realize you want the game to fail, but simply wishing it and proclaiming it in the face of reality that says the exact opposite only makes you look like a fool.

I've never seen a game where its own paying customers develop cultish behavior regarding announcing its imminent demise quite like this game has.

I don't know... what do you do at home when you get tired of the way it looks?

Right?

I mean, you can't possibly live in one of those boring apartments or houses where the bed is on the floor next to a wall and your TV is mounted on the wall across from a sofa and a table... because that wouldn't really feel like a "home" as it were, amirite? :rolleyes:

EDIT: You know what's funny? People hold up SWG as an example of how to do it "right"... but if you google SWG House you'll get a bunch of pictures of the interior of houses that look like... well... regular houses. With the chairs on the ground, arranged around tables and beds towards the wall and paintings on the walls... very few actually take full advantage of the free placement to make the house look like some sort of fairground or art exibit. Most actually just do what you can do in this game.

That is, to make a home.

I don't understand your fixation on people making things float. What is the relevance? Why are you so concerned about it? It has nothing to do with you.

It's just laughable how you are trying to compare a video game to real life. Of course I'm not making my bed suspend. Mostly because it impossible.

Video games and video game environments are built to suspend reality. Not mimic it as closely as possible. Even then, If I want to use your logic, where are my hook points in my house? Oh wait, they don't exist. That would be stupid.

I'll match your google image search with youtube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=swg+housing

Every decorated house you visited in swg was completely unique.

Edited by Vinak

I can't really see the point of it.

Now I have no expectation that the devs will read this. But what they have created is a stand alone environment in which decorating your virtual home is very time consuming and likely expensive. But because its in a vacuum who is really going to appreciate it or what role is it going to play after all those hours and millions of credits spent. Where SWG you were part of a community and people could visit or use it as a shop. Here its a very minor aspect and then forgotten, which given the time spent on it is a failing.

Even as I stood on my balcony over looking the city it was very apparent that it was no part of a living breathing world but a lobby area to hide until I go back out to run dailies or ops or flash points. Im unsure what makes it more enjoyable that logging off and sitting on my own sofa watching tv.

What I remember most vividly about SWG was all the player created villages spread out over all the planets with all kinds of buildings set up and created by players.

Players who were no longer playing...

Ghost towns... ghost towns everywhere.

That is what I remember most about SWG.

Not a "living breathing world"