[Theorycrafting] DPS Scalars Moving from Dummy to Boss

KeyboardNinja

Nearly all DPS specs gain some advantage from raid buffs and/or execute phases on a boss (Gunnery Commandos / Arsenal Mercs are the notable counter-example). These advantages are not reflected in a dummy parse, which means that class balance will dictate that these classes parse (on a dummy!) somewhat lower than other classes will. The most notable example of this is Shadow/Assassin DPS, which benefits substantially from both an armor debuff and an execute phase.

The "DPS Scalar" referenced in the title of this thread is simply the percentage increase seen by a particular damage dealing spec when moving from a dummy to a boss. Literally, it is a number which can be multiplied into a player's dummy DPS to predict how well they would do on a static boss with an armor debuff and an execute phase. This information is useful from a theory crafting perspective, as well as useful to raid leaders everywhere who need to correctly evaluate which players will do the most damage in actual boss fights based on their dummy parses.

For example, if the scalar for a particular spec is 7%, and a player of that spec parses a 2900 on a dummy, you can expect them to parse 2900 * (1 + 0.07) = 3103 DPS on a real boss.

This is a collaborative thread! There are a lot of DPS specs in the game, and it's going to take me quite a while to get through all of them. Also, I've been known to make mistakes, and getting extra eyes on my math never hurts. If you see a damage dealing spec which doesn't have an associated scalar in the list below, feel free to grab a top-tier dummy parse from any one of the leaderboards, your local copy of torhead, and math out the exact DPS jump that class will see on a boss. Please include the mathematics which justifies your result. Don't just throw a percentage at me and walk away. :-)

Listings

Advanced Classes are listed alphabetically by their Republic mirror, with each accepted spec archetype itemized under the sub-heading.

Commando/Mercenary

• Gunnery / Arsenal - 0.0%
  • Assault / Pyro - 10.1%

Guardian/Juggernaut

• Vigilance / Vengeance - 0.56%
  • Focus / Rage - 3.1%

Gunslinger/Sniper

(note: Saboteur/Engineering is omitted due to the difficulty of reliably calculating the DPS effect of the roll on a real boss)

• Sharpshooter / Marksman - 2.3%
  • Hybrid - 5.24%
  • Dirty Fighting / Lethality - 5.0%

Sage/Sorcerer

• Telekinetics / Lightning - 7.3%
  • Balance / Madness - 6.7%

Scoundrel/Operative

• Scrapper / Concealment - 6.2%
  • Dirty Fighting / Lethality - 6.5%

Sentinel/Marauder

• Watchman / Annihilation - 7.1%
  • Combat / Carnage - 3.8%
  • Focus / Rage - 12.0%

Shadow/Assassin

• Hybrid - 13.7%
  • Infiltration / Deception - 11.3%
  • Balance / Madness - 15.1%

Vanguard/Powertech

• Tactics / Advanced Prototype - 3.6%
  • Hybrid - 3.6%
  • Assault / Pyro - 8.2%

Edited by KeyboardNinja

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stolen shamelessly from my post on the shadow draft questions thread…

Taking wild-berry's balance parse… We have three raid factors to consider:

• Spinning Strike instead of Double Strike below 30%
  • Execute talent below 30% (+15% to FiB and DoTs)
  • Armor debuff

The execute talent is the easiest one to calculate. The talent affects 62.07% of wild-berry's damage and increases the DPS value by 15%. Thus, the talent is worth 0.15 * 0.6207 * 0.3 = 2.79%. (note: that's actually worth a bit less than the vanguard execute talent)

The armor debuff can be calculated similarly. 74.97% of wild-berry's damage is affected by armor. Thus, that damage is reduced by 35% on a dummy. The armor debuff would account for the following DPS increase: 0.7497 * ((1 - 0.35 * (1 - 0.2)) / (1 - 0.35) - 1) = 8.07%

Spinning Strike does almost exactly 90% more damage than Double Strike does. Double Strike was used 71 times in 300 seconds, which is once every 4.2 seconds. Given that Spinning Strike has a higher cost than Double Strike, we have to cheat that number up a bit below 30%. So, we'll say that Spinning Strike replaces every other Double Strike below 30%. Double Strike makes up 26.47% of wild-berry's damage. Spinning Strike increases the damage from Double Strike by 45% below 30%. Thus, the value of Spinning Strike can be calculated as 0.2647 * 0.45 * 0.3 = 3.57%

These buffs stack multiplicatively. Thus, we can compute the total damage buff for a balance shadow going from a dummy to a boss as the following: (1 + 0.0279) * (1 + 0.0807) * (1 + 0.0357) - 1 = 15.05% Going back to wild-berry's parse, his 2772.97 DPS is worth 3190.3 DPS on a real boss.

Update: The time-averaging math for Spinning Strike is wrong. Thok posted a correction here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=6750166&postcount=33

For infiltration, using Aerre's record parse as an example…

We have three factors to consider:

• Armor debuff scaled by base armor pen in the spec
  • Spinning Strike below 30%
  • Execute talent below 30%

The execute talent is 6% damage boost below 30%. Thus, the time-averaged value is 0.06 * 0.3 = 0.018.

The armor debuff is an additional 20% armor pen, which stacks additively with the 9% armor pen from the stance. 66.6% of infiltration's damage is K/E. That gives us the following scalar: 0.666 * ((1 - 0.35 * (1 - 0.2 - 0.09)) / (1 - 0.35 * (1 - 0.09)) - 1) = 0.0684.

Aerre used CS on average once every 5.17 seconds in his parse. Spinning Strike has a 6 second CD, which means it could almost replace every CS below 30%. Unfortunately, it doesn't refresh the Clairvoyance buff, which must be refreshed once every 15 seconds. This means that we still have to use CS at least once every 15 seconds, and thus Spinning Strike only replaces 60% of CS uses below 30%. The lower force cost also reduces the amount of Saber Strike by a slight amount, but this is reflected in the fudged percentages given in the previous sentence.

Spinning Strike is almost precisely 66.5% more powerful than Clairvoyant Strike, even including the set bonus. Justification here:

LS:=((1-0.12)*MH+0.132*2685+1.32*BonusDmg)*(1+0.22*0.72)*(1-0.35*(1-0.2-0.09))*1.3

SS:=((1+0.58)*MH+0.236*2685+2.37*BonusDmg)*(1+0.22*(0.72+0.3))*(1-0.35*(1-0.2-0.09))

CS:=((1-0.465)*MH+0.08*2685+0.8*BonusDmg)*2*(1+(0.22+0.15)*0.72)*(1-0.35*(1-0.2-0.09))*1.06

SaberStrike:=((1-0.66)*MH+0.33*BonusDmg+((1-0.33)*MH+0.66*BonusDmg)*2)*(1+0.22*0.72)*0.9*(1-0.35*(1-0.2-0.09))

SpinningStrike := ((1+1.06)*MH+0.309*2685+3.09*BonusDmg)*(1+0.22*0.72)*(1-0.35*(1-0.2-0.09))

Damage := SpinningStrike/CS - 1

Plot3D[Damage, {BonusDmg, 1000, 1700}, {MH, 500, 1200}]

Thus, we can compute the value of Spinning Strike as the following: (0.3 * (0.1954 * (1 - 0.6) + 0.1954 * (1 + 0.665) * 0.6) + (1 - 0.3) * 0.1954) / 0.1954 - 1 = 0.1197

These buffs are multiplicative. Thus, we have (1 + 0.1197) * (1 + 0.018) * (1 + 0.0684) - 1 = 21.78%.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Wait, you're cutting out engineering, due to the difficulties of calculating roll damage?

Can't you just make the theory craft without the scatter bombs, or is that truly the only reason people would ever even consider bringing one into an op?

Well, roll damage is actually very easy to calculate. The real question is: how much damage of that is actually viable on a boss? Well, if we assume a static raid boss the size of Thrasher, then 100%. If we assume it's a huminoid boss that we can't hold against a wall, then it's another question. I'm open to suggestions here though. If you feel like you have a mathematically sound way to account for the average variance in roll viability, let's go for it!

For Lethality Operative / Dirty Fighting Scoundrel, taking Kelaeon's parse as an example…

Lethality has no base armor penetration, and it has an execute talent but no ability.

The execute talent can be calculated in the standard way. The talent is +15% damage from Poison effects below 30%. The one trick is that the extra Cull ticks are counted as Poison damage, while still being labeled "Cull". We can factor this out by just looking at internal damage and figuring back from there. Fortunately, all of the Internal damage sources are Poisons (and there are no Poisons which are not Internal), so we can simply take the value of 53.77% as the damage figure which is increased by the execute. 0.5377 * 0.15 * 0.3 = 0.0242.

36.92% of Kelaeon's damage was K/E. Thus, the armor debuff can be valued as 0.1076 * 0.3692 = 0.0397.

We stack these buffs multiplicatively, since even though the damage types are disjoint, we've already accounted for their separation by scaling by the percentage of total damage done. Thus, we have (1 + 0.0242)*(1 + 0.0397) - 1 = 6.49%.

Well, roll damage is actually very easy to calculate. The real question is: how much damage of that is actually viable on a boss? Well, if we assume a static raid boss the size of Thrasher, then 100%. If we assume it's a huminoid boss that we can't hold against a wall, then it's another question. I'm open to suggestions here though. If you feel like you have a mathematically sound way to account for the average variance in roll viability, let's go for it!

Oh, no, that wasn't my point. I'm just showing myself as ignorant in that I don't know whether Scatter Bombs are really such a large part of their DPS, that not having a 100% theorycraft for that one part means they should be discluded.

I like the idea here KBN but I worry some people will probably use this as gospel to evaluate a class. Considering it can't take into account the disadvantages that class' experience from mechanics, maybe it would be better to not really be considered for a boss but rather optimal conditions. A limited HP Dummy so to speak. The title might throw some people off.

Oh, no, that wasn't my point. I'm just showing myself as ignorant in that I don't know whether Scatter Bombs are really such a large part of their DPS, that not having a 100% theorycraft for that one part means they should be discluded.

i remember hearing once an engineering parse without scatter bombs on a dummy should look more like 2700, which is monstrously less.

if someone has firsthand knowledge on this feel free to correct me, i'm curious too ;)

Edited by thejollygreenone

here is m-knightriders current top parse for a balance shadow if you wouldnt mind doing the math on that one

M-knightrider - Shadow - Balance 8/2/36 - 2898.23

log link - http://www.torparse.com/a/415601/time/1378604723/1378605024/0/Damage+Dealt

AMR: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-c98ef2f12ee65

Edit- So I decided to do the math after looking at your post again and I got 3334 dps. Assuming perfect conditions this looks to be one of the higher dps values out of the AC's currently.

Edited by mmerry

Telekinetcs/Lightning is very simple since it gains only an armor debuff. Using Sejv's torparse sorcerer record we see that 68.03% of the damage benefits from the debuff, giving a total .6803*(.2*.35)/(1-.35) ~= 7.326% increase. That's going a bit far with the precision, though: the highest sage parse in torparse's dummy list, which differs by less than 40 dps, is 69.09% energy/kinetic damage, so we only have two signficant figures: 7.3%.

The Sage/Sorc version of Balance/Madness is likewise straightforward. Going by Kindran's Balance parse, armor affects 62.95% of the spec's damage. Thus the debuff is about a .6295*(.2*.35)/(1-.35) = 6.779% increase. Once again, we can't claim more than two signficant figures: almost 2% of Kindran's output comes from a relic's internal damage procs, but a number of the spec's other top parses dont use one, skewing the percentage of damage that benefits from the debuff. Call it 6.8%.

Edited by HundredBears
Edited to add Balance/Madness.

Oh wow, I read this thread. Saw the percentage and scrolled down to see where it came from and say KBN used my parse O.o

Nice being able to see that. Now if only I could hit that in an 'ideal fight'. Sadly Withering Horror moves too much (and my group has put me on 'every puddle' duty <.< ), NiM Dreadguard has down period, multitarget, movement, etc. And our group hasn't done any skipping for other fights :(

So I've yet to see a 3300 in a non-multitarget fight (IE: Orbital on Titan 6/Withering Horror) sadly.

One thing about the Sab roll. It is entirely possible to bug the ability and roll in one place by pressing jump at the correct moment (high ping actually makes this easier) . Skilled players will be able to get all their bombs on a boss regardless of his size (Scoundrel rolling in place is even easier but this is mostly due to more practice with no cd but the mechanics are the same).

Alternatively, just do a rotation without the roll damage. even if it turns out that it is very low DPS without the roll that is no reason to be omitted.

Something along the lines of: Sab without roll = X, Sab with roll is omitted. Or even provide the two extremes; no roll and 100% of roll damage included (Thrasher). Raid leaders will know where Bombs come into play and work it out from there. It's just more of a case that most GS will just spec SS or DF by themselves anyway.

I'm sure if you get in touch with Paowee he will be able to provide a parse without bombs, alternatively I can ask some other GS to do it but I know he does not use the spec too often.

The only thing the spec gains in relation to your scalar is Armour debuff (which Snipers have their own) and execute below 30% which is not buffed in the tree (apart from all the general Cunning, Crit and Acc buffs).

All this could have been prevented if the Ship dummies had something like 1m HP.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

Edit: Logs fixed.

For Saboteur/Engineering spec, there's not going to be a good way to balance out how much DPS you can do across bosses due to how much the boss fights differ for the sake of rolling. This is especially true since the developers have stated they will fix the exploit/bug/awesomeness of rolling in place. The best we can do is to provide two parses: one with rolls and one without them. This is what I'll do.

With Rolls

Aeralos - Gunslinger - Saboteur - 7/36/3 - 3708

Log Link: http://www.torparse.com/a/415970/time/1378638069/1378638369/0/Overview

AMR Profile: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/5ad9b095-7bd5-4c3f-b98a-e4ea2f780db6

Without Rolls

Aeralos - Gunslinger - Saboteur - 7/36/3 - 2957

Log Link: http://www.torparse.com/a/420914/time/1378980830/1378981164/0/Overview

AMR Profile: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/5ad9b095-7bd5-4c3f-b98a-e4ea2f780db6

I listed my AMR profile to show that I do have 75 pieces, but I'm only half 75 at this point. More importantly, I'm missing the most valuable pieces, namely the main-hand and off-hand ones. I also don't spec into the "heal while in cover" skill to get extra procs from my one Serendipitous relic. Regardless, I'm about 99.99% confident these are the highest dummy parses for this spec and it's probably the closest we have to the other specs who are probably better geared.

To add context, the armor debuff is already used by me throughout the parses and the execute skill (Quickdraw) for Saboteur spec would normally be used, but at a low priority so roughly once every 20 seconds instead of being on cooldown and only in place of an auto-attack or Flourish Shot. Thus, there would be a small DPS gain when correcting for a real boss fight.

Edited by Vaidinah

^^ logs don't work :(

They do now Torparse was just in maintenance earlier.

I'd just like to point out that Vig/Veng Guards/Juggs can proc their executes without needing a target to be at 30%.

As do Combat Sents, annoyingly this makes the math a bit trickier as they will still be able to use the execute more under 30% (every 6s) whereas the proc only comes every 20s or more.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

As do Combat Sents, annoyingly this makes the math a bit trickier as they will still be able to use the execute more under 30% (every 6s) whereas the proc only comes every 20s or more.

I realize that but didn't mention it since they don't have an armor rend.

Regarding the Vig/Veng and Combat/Carnage execute procs (also, Lethality execute procs), I'm pretty sure I know how to handle these. It is slightly tricky because you have to figure out what ability gets replaced in the rotation sub-30% and with what frequency, but I think it shouldn't be too bad. I know Combat/Carnage extremely well, but I could use some help understanding what the unproc'd execute usage looks like for Vig/Veng and DF/Lethality sub-30%.

Telekinetcs/Lightning is very simple since it gains only an armor debuff. Using Sejv's torparse sorcerer record we see that 68.03% of the damage benefits from the debuff, giving a total .6803*(.2*.35)/(1-.35) ~= 7.326% increase. That's going a bit far with the precision, though: the highest sage parse in torparse's dummy list, which differs by less than 40 dps, is 69.09% energy/kinetic damage, so we only have two signficant figures: 7.3%.

The Sage/Sorc version of Balance/Madness is likewise straightforward. Going by Kindran's Balance parse, armor affects 62.95% of the spec's damage. Thus the debuff is about a .6295*(.2*.35)/(1-.35) = 6.779% increase. Once again, we can't claim more than two signficant figures: almost 2% of Kindran's output comes from a relic's internal damage procs, but a number of the spec's other top parses dont use one, skewing the percentage of damage that benefits from the debuff. Call it 6.8%.

Both numbers look well-justified. For whatever reason, I thought Balance had an execute talent (probably because the shadow shared tree has it). Very odd.

For Saboteur/Engineering spec, there's not going to be a good way to balance out how much DPS you can do across bosses due to how much the boss fights differ for the sake of rolling. This is especially true since the developers have stated they will fix the exploit/bug/awesomeness of rolling in place. The best we can do is to provide two parses: one with rolls and one without them. This is what I'll do.

Do you think we should have a "Sabo with roll" and "Sabo without roll" scalar in the OP? There's certainly room for it. We could even have a third "Sabo with mean-adjusted roll" which takes the weighted mean between the numbers based on how often you feel the roll is applicable on average bosses in the game (based on experience).

I like the idea here KBN but I worry some people will probably use this as gospel to evaluate a class. Considering it can't take into account the disadvantages that class' experience from mechanics, maybe it would be better to not really be considered for a boss but rather optimal conditions. A limited HP Dummy so to speak. The title might throw some people off.

I agree that is a concern. I really just intended this to be a complementary resource to the proliferation of DPS leaderboards. Once the corpus is complete, I will probably modify the Ebon Hawk leaderboard to include a parenthetical adjusted "boss DPS" for each entry, so that people don't need to read two threads.

Hopefully, this will get people (especially raid leaders) in the mindset of thinking about precisely how different specs can shine on bosses, rather than just zeroing in on the dummy parse numbers that favor gunslingers and sentinels so heavily.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

For Scrapper/Concealment, I'm going to use Kelaeon's concealment parse from the Ebon Hawk leaderboard, simply because I can't seem to find Invinc's parse. It'd be nice to get another parse to check my math here…

Concealment has no execute talent or ability. They have 30% armor pen with 100% uptime (played properly) in their spec, but this armor pen stacks additively with the armor debuff. This armor pen affects 66.72% of their damage, which gives us a scalar of 0.6672 * ((1 - 0.35 * (1 - 0.2 - 0.3)) / (1 - 0.35 * (1 - 0.3)) - 1) = 6.19%.

I could use some help understanding what the unproc'd execute usage looks like for Vig/Veng and DF/Lethality sub-30%.

Since the cooldown on Wounding Shots/Cull is shorter than the cooldown on the execute, a DF/Leth GS/Sniper should see no change in execute usage below 30%. Even through the proc is technically not guaranteed, there's less than a .5% chance Quickdraw/Takedown does not proc from a full channel of WS/Cull with 2 dots on the target.

Proc: A 45% chance when WS/Cull does damage to proc QD/TD

Cull ticks 9 times with 2 dots present, meaning there's a 1-(.55^9)=.9954 chance it procs a TD.

Wounding shots ticks 12 times due to the offhand, meaning it's even better off at a .9992 chance to proc QD.

Edited by namesaretough

For hybrid shadow/assassin, I'll use this parse from Jaberse. This spec was, to the best of my knowledge, first proposed by Jaberse and he remains the only one who uses it extensively. It gets sufficiently decent numbers that it's worth mentioning here.

The hybrid spec has no execute talent, but it *does* get an execute ability. Because Balance and the Hybrid are so close, we can reuse the Spinning Strike math from the Balance post and assume it provides a buff of 3.57%. The armor debuff is just as easily calculated: 0.905 * 0.107692308 = 9.75%. Putting these buffs together gives us (1 + 0.0357)*(1 + 0.0975) - 1 = 13.67%.