Best skills for first alt.

InfamousJoker

Hi, my main character is a Sith Marauder 55 with maxed Cybertech, Scavenging and Underworld Trading.

My brother's character is also high level and maxed Artifice, Archaeology and Treasure Hunting.

Now I am going to start leveling an alt , a Bounty Hunter, and was wondering what skills I should get for him that are different than the other ones I have access to.

I have narrowed it down to 2 options:

Option A: Get Biochem, Bioanalysis and Diplomacy. They are all unique and work together but I am unsure if I can make money from them / have fun leveling them.

Option B: Get Armstech , Slicing and Investigation. Here I would use the leftover materials from my Marauder's Scavenging or send his crew to farm the low level ones I need. Benefits are that Slicing sounds interesting and I think Armstech is a better skill overall, for money and items.

I look forwards to your opinion,

Thank you in advance

Edited by InfamousJoker

Slicing is great, but to get it you have to sacrifice something, or just be a mat farmer. But, look at prices of purple mats from investigation on your server. Now choose if its worth it to sub investigation for scavenging.

OR chose scavenging till yer higher level then drop it and go crazy on investigation.

Slicing is great, but to get it you have to sacrifice something, or just be a mat farmer. But, look at prices of purple mats from investigation on your server. Now choose if its worth it to sub investigation for scavenging.

OR chose scavenging till yer higher level then drop it and go crazy on investigation.

Hi thanks for the reply. I am not sure you read my post through, I have max Scavenging on my main with a bunch of leftover Scavenging materials. Also I can always send all his crew to gather materials from low level Scavenging missions.

Oh I read it right...

Ok, on my server permacrete (lvl 9 purple invest mat) sells for 2500 ish a piece.

mythra/turadium sell for 1500ish a piece.

If you really want Invest, have at it, its just kinda worthless imo.

Oh my bad , I understand what you mean now. I just thought I need to have Investigation to level up Armstech, but if Investigataion isnt required and is not that profitable , then yes , it would make more sense to substitute it for Scavenging. Then I would have Armstech, Slicing and Scavenging correct?

I don't know what kind of bonuses Bounty Hunters have, which will play a role in determining which one is best, but it's really hard to go wrong w/ Biochem. It's not about making profits directly, but rather the old saying "a penny saved is a penny earned." Once you have an alt with biochem, you never have to buy another stim, medpac, or adrenal on any of your characters ever again since you can craft them yourself. Over time, that can add up to some significant savings.

Of course, the only issue is, if you have Biochem on an alt, you're not going to be able to take advantage of its biggest benefit - namely the reusable stim/adrenal/medpac. Those items are the reason so many recommend taking Biochem on your main, especially if you raid a lot. But even w/out the reusables, its still worth having an alt w/ Biochem just to be able to craft your own consumables.

armstech would be the best since you can make augments and kits. biochem is ok but the re chances are really really poor for purples or have been for myself and a few friends. besides at 55 the blues are much better stat wise than the purples and with the last changes are now really cheap to buy.

i suppose the artificer could make the kits but getting arch mats are mission only as compared to killing droids. at 55 there are tons of droids to scavenge while doing dailies.

there really isn't a bad choice between the two you have listed. it is just a matter of what is easier and more useful right away. you can always unlearn the skills later if need be.

Option A

You really should have one max level character with the ability to make your own stim's & adrenals. Unless your rich or can make your own I doubt many players run adrenals while moving up the levels. But once you get to operations everyone runs them. The character who has the Biochem skill can make purple reusable ones (learned of course), the blues are slightly better but are one time use and those can be used by anyone. It's a very valuable skill and to be honest there is a reason why option A is the most popular set up for most players.

As for making money, Bio materials in the level 30's are good sellers and return a good profit for your effort.

biochem is ok but the re chances are really really poor for purples or have been for myself and a few friends. besides at 55 the blues are much better stat wise than the purples and with the last changes are now really cheap to buy.

The re chances are 10% rather than the normal 20% for most things. That is why they are a pain. But as long as your skill is 450. You can buy the purples and use them. Prices are never that high as only people with Biochem can use.

armstech would be the best since you can make augments and kits. biochem is ok but the re chances are really really poor for purples or have been for myself and a few friends. besides at 55 the blues are much better stat wise than the purples and with the last changes are now really cheap to buy.

i suppose the artificer could make the kits but getting arch mats are mission only as compared to killing droids. at 55 there are tons of droids to scavenge while doing dailies.

there really isn't a bad choice between the two you have listed. it is just a matter of what is easier and more useful right away. you can always unlearn the skills later if need be.

Just to clarify, biochem has the same RE percentage as any other crew skill.

The purple (reusable) potions have the same stats as the blue potions, only they are reusable.

I would strongly recommend Biochem, as it will be far more useful to you than Armstech. I have toons with both at 450, so this is an informed opinion.

Just to clarify, biochem has the same RE percentage as any other crew skill.

The purple (reusable) potions have the same stats as the blue potions, only they are reusable.

I would strongly recommend Biochem, as it will be far more useful to you than Armstech. I have toons with both at 450, so this is an informed opinion.

I fear you're misinformed (assuming you mean either medpac, adrenal or stim by 'potions') there is a clear difference between blue quality and purple quality in medpacs, adrenals and stims, the purple ones are equal to their green counterpart, except they're reuseable.

Reuseable Impeccable Medpac:

Use: Restores 5575-6800 health. Only useable once per fight. (Cooldown: 1.5 minutes)

Prototype Impeccable Medpac

Use: Restores 5575-6800 health and an additional 2475 health over 15 seconds. Only useable once per fight. (Cooldown: 1.5 minutes)

Reuseable Nano-Infused Attack Adrenal;

Use: Increases Power by 625 and reduces all healing done by 20%. Last 15 seconds. (Cooldown: 3 minutes)

Nano-Infused Attack Adrenal;

Use: Increases Power by 675 and reduces all healing done by 20%. Last 15 seconds. (Cooldown: 3 minutes)

Prototype Nano-Infused X Stim

Use: Increases X by 169 and Power by 70 for 120 minutes. Only one stimpack can be active at a time. This effect persist through defeat.

Prototype Nano-Infused X Stim

Use: Increases X by 154 and Power by 63 for 120 minutes. Only one stimpack can be active at a time. This effect persist through defeat.

Quoted from my own Biochemist descriptions, feel free to check in-game.

The difference isn't quite as minor as it may sound, for PvP-gear 15 Main-stat and 7 Power is the difference between 1-2 Obroan/Conqueror pieces. But having access to the reuseable versions will mean you'll always use them and never have to worry about their cost.

As for the OP. the combination of Armstech (could have been Armormech or Synthweaving) and Cybertech wield me quite a nice amount of money from making Augmentation Kits (Cybertech can reverse droid-parts, which are the cheapest for MK-9 compenents that I know off, whilst Armstech is able to make the kits.) To give you some actual numbers:

If gathering yourself Turanium/Mythra cost ~500 on Average (340/e on rich missions, 500/e on abundant and 530/e on bountiful if I remember correctly, not including criticals and failures) and Flux is dirt-cheap at around 150/e (once again assuming you run the missions.) The compenents per kit cost 20/20/20 and returns (on average) 10 Mytra, ~5 Turanium and usually little to no Flux. The kit itself costs another 2/2/2 (and 2 blue slicing materials) and the 10 components you've gathered. Resulting in a kit costing about 20k to make and over-all sell for ~60-80k depending on server. My companions are adorable though, they always crit so it takes even less money to make kits, aswell as gathering in Flashpoints and Operations if there's time

But it requires quite a bit of relogging. On all the toons I actively raid with I took Biochem. In anything that isn't hardmode/nightmare mode I use the Reuseable Stims/Medpacs/Adrenal and it saves me a lot of money whilst using them makes me a lot more effective at my role. I can produce the blues, (which I do use for HM/NiM) but on my server they're so cheap I might aswell buy them. So I definitly find both options a great one, depending on your playstyle. If you're more into PvP than PvE Biochem gets less useful due to PvP having their PvP-only Adrenals (other ones don't work) and superior PvP-medpac.

In short, you can't go wrong, I'd decide based on the following:

Biochem if:

• You're an active raider (or plan to be)
  • Somehow Stim/Adrenal prices on your server are ridicilous (on mine they're dirt-cheap)
  • You rather have a crewskill saving you money than actually making it (same result) that require litte to no crafting.
  • You're happy earning an extra penny selling materials

Armstech if:

• You plan on being an active crafter either with time (safe options like kits) or research (finding a nice profit in the market)
  • Plan to keep your companions out for crewskills a lot
  • Want a crewskills simply to make money
  • Aren't interested in reuseable goodies

This is all how experience the usefulness of crewskills and even though I've maxed every crewskill and have multiple Biochemist, you might prioritize other pro's vs cons and find better ways of making money.

Do you NEED to level your crafting skill as you level? Wondering because I would think 3 gathering skills, at least until you get a nice biochem / armstech bonus, would net you more cred while leveling in the galaxy.

No, you don't need to. You can level whatever you want, whenever you want. Ive even changed professions around on toons even after hitting 450 just to better align companions and their crit bonuses as I started new characters.