Subscriber Appreciation Details?

Kaywinnit

Also, still not seeing anywhere whether or not this is a one shot deal or we will now be getting an additional 500 monthly. Can someone please address this? Even if the answer is "we haven't decided" or "we aren't saying at this time."

Already responded to you, but here's a link.

http://torwars.com/2013/07/01/swtor-update-subscriber-appreciation-details/

“…that it’s super important” to BioWare that their Subscribers as well as their Free-to-play players feel valued. So, in July, there will be a Subscriber only benefit near the beginning and near the end of the month in order to make Subs feel valued.”

And here's my reply again.

We're supposed to get something similar (but a little different) around the end of the month. Since we got 500 cartel coins this time, then we should get anywhere between 1-499 or 501+ cartel coins. What else can they possibly give us if not that without making it something not similar.

I do hope they break that "similar" part of the promise and this time actually give something 100% not cartel crap related.

Must've been another place where I saw it mentioned, probably a dev post or from an interview.

Edited by Lyshar

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already responded to you, but here's a link.

http://torwars.com/2013/07/01/swtor-update-subscriber-appreciation-details/

“…that it’s super important” to BioWare that their Subscribers as well as their Free-to-play players feel valued. So, in July, there will be a Subscriber only benefit near the beginning and near the end of the month in order to make Subs feel valued.”

Yeah I saw your original reply, but I was looking for some kind of confirmation, either in the form of a link (like you provided this time. Thanks!) or a response from somebody on the community team. So we get another single thing at the end of the month. Hoping its not another 500 CCs.

Yeah I saw your original reply, but I was looking for some kind of confirmation, either in the form of a link (like you provided this time. Thanks!) or a response from somebody on the community team. So we get another single thing at the end of the month. Hoping its not another 500 CCs.

But... dude... that would be like A THOUSAND FREE CC's!!!!11one11eleventy1! How awesome! :rolleyes:

"Here's a free $5"

"This is a slap in the face"

"...."

It's not a free $5. I have never bought CCs, and I think I have close to 5k at this point because I don't spend them. Since I never buy CCs, these will not save me any money. So in essence they are worth nothing to me, as CCs have no monetary value.

Now if they had said "all subscribers get $5 off their subscription next month", it wouldn't feel like a slap in the face to me.

Edited by Amaranth

I'll be honest. I'm pretty disappointed.

Not that I don't appreciate the CC. I do. I just thought subscriber appreciation would be a bit more intimate. We're like in a loveless marriage, at least it feels like that. I think BW is just working so hard, they think they are saying they love us, but it doesn't mean anything.

They didn't stop updating it. 2.3 contains real content. A daily area. A new event. And new flash points. And new flash point tech.

But yeah, "here's a free $5". If you think about that, that's $5 * 500,000 (subscribers) = $1,250,000. That's a significant chunk of change. Imagine what they could have done if they spent that $1.25 million on creating something interesting for us subscribers instead of taking the lazy way out and giving us Cartel Coins.

Of course it doesn't actually work that way because it's not a real $1.25 million they're giving us, but still... :rolleyes:

there is no 2.3. you can log in and see the lack of new content. you can also visit the patch notes.

someday, maybe there will be a 2.3. i remember when they were calling 1.2 the jesus patch, for saving the game. maybe they need another one of those. if 2.3 does in fact become reality, and there is content that is not gated through the cartel market or some other charge, then i think that would be a very good thing for this game. however, that would be a stark contrast to everything they've done since f2p.

there is no 2.3. you can log in and see the lack of new content. you can also visit the patch notes.

someday, maybe there will be a 2.3. i remember when they were calling 1.2 the jesus patch, for saving the game. maybe they need another one of those. if 2.3 does in fact become reality, and there is content that is not gated through the cartel market or some other charge, then i think that would be a very good thing for this game. however, that would be a stark contrast to everything they've done since f2p.

What are you talking about? 2.3 is on the test servers now.

What are you talking about? 2.3 is on the test servers now.

oh right, i was playing on the real servers. i suppose PTS could count as content not being gated through a charge or the cartel market. i can even transfer all my characters onto a single server instead of having them split across 3 servers right? maybe PTS is actually better.

there is no 2.3 on the real servers.

oh right, i was playing on the real servers. i suppose PTS could count as content not being gated through a charge or the cartel market. i can even transfer all my characters onto a single server instead of having them split across 3 servers right? maybe PTS is actually better.

Are you serious ? Updates are tested on PTS and implemented on real servers after. There will be a 2.3 soon >< PTS isn't "better" than real servers. It's different, you even have more bugs x)

Edited by Tyson_Krix

Your cynicism is doing a brilliant job of displaying your lack of intellect or hatred for the game. Which is it?

you do realize they test the patches on the PTS first?!? :confused:

once its tested they then put them on the live servers

Also, still not seeing anywhere whether or not this is a one shot deal or we will now be getting an additional 500 monthly. Can someone please address this? Even if the answer is "we haven't decided" or "we aren't saying at this time."

The email said one time grant. So it appears to be a one time grant.

Are you serious ? Updates are tested on PTS and implemented on real servers after. There will be a 2.3 soon >< PTS isn't "better" than real servers. It's different, you even have more bugs x)

right. it will be on or around august 6th. they already said that.

sooo, that means it hasn't been released . there is still the possibility they will reverse the course of pretty much every decision they've made since f2p. they could also have a cartel market option to finish the flashpoint by spending 300 cartel coins, or spend cartel coins to skip the trash mobs and go straight to the boss, or something like that. they could still somehow gate the content. server transfers were released in a way that either A) has a cost that scales up with how many alts you have or B) breaks up your legacy and achievements across multiple servers. they can do that again. there isn't anything that would suggest they haven't found some clever way to charge you while maintaining plausible deniability, then just ignoring the problem they way they always have with server transfers.

of course, they could just release a patch that is good for subscribers. maybe they want to turn the game around and most new patches will include content for subscribers. that would be great, i think if they wanted to start doing that it would be best for everyone. i'm just saying, that hasn't been how they do things since f2p.

stuff on the pts is free. there is no cartel market. stuff on regular servers is not. i'm serious; there is still no 2.3 on regular servers.

Your cynicism is doing a brilliant job of displaying your lack of intellect or hatred for the game. Which is it?

possibly both?

when i said 'there is no 2.3" i forgot about the pts. you reminded me that 2.3 is on pts. that was my mistake, since i forgot, and i appreciate your help in reminding me. sorry for the confusion that created.

there is still the possibility they will reverse the course of pretty much every decision they've made since f2p.

The sky could fall too..but it's more likely you win the powerball (ie: exceedingly unlikely to happen.)

Put the Chicken Little down and step away from the keyboard. You really are just off the deep end now and nobody is going to take you seriously....not even those who adore your cynicism.

Edited by Andryah

Good questions! The title will cost 10 CC and the title will unlock per character. There is also a collections unlock associated with it which will cost 5 CC. Also for those who 10 CC is "too rich for my blood" the item, like all CM items, will be tradeable so you will likely see some popping up on your local GTN.

-eric

by the way, it's not "too rich for my blood." i think the bigger issue is that you're releasing too much through the cartel market and not enough through regular in-game means. i think there are a lot of us who would like to play the 'game' part of the game, instead of just buying more stuff that has been introduced through the cartel market.

if you think there are a lot of players who think 10 CCs is "too rich for my blood," it sounds to me like you're not trying to understand what people are saying. if you honestly think the failure of communication is on my end here, PM me and i'll be happy to communicate as much and clearly with you as i possibly can. i won't hide anything from you, or try to deceive you in any way.

Definitely both curtkram.. by all appearances.

Why do you play this game if it makes you so cynical and miserable? Sincere question.

i like the people in the guild i'm in, and the 'game' part is enjoyable. buying ewoks from a retail shop is not a game. buying a title from the gtn that was introduced through the cartel market is not a game. this is not a single player game, and the $15/mo should provide content updates instead of just new things to buy through the cartel market.

what bioware has been doing is not a balanced approach that respects both the cartel market (which is not a game) and the game (which is enjoyable.) what they've done is essentially give up on developing the game and go for cash grabs, which are not fun. the game has potential. that potential does not lie in the cartel market. the potential is in pvp warzones, flashpoints, ops, and other playable group content where you actually have to put in some thought and effort into defeating something.

when was the last release of new playable content (not just a new nightmare mode of existing content, but new story, new models and environments, etc.) for subscribers, and when was the last release of new playable content that didn't cost extra? how does that fit in with the 8 week update schedule? something like 12 and 20 weeks? that will be closer to 20 and 28 by the time 2.3 is released.

is the only thing you enjoy about the game buying stuff through the cartel market and running dailies, or would you prefer to see an update with "game" content that isn't gated through the cartel market?

Just checked, and now I feel ridiculous. Thanks for the help. Hopefully that means that whatever the second alluded to subscriber gift near the end of the month is will be something different.

is the only thing you enjoy about the game buying stuff through the cartel market and running dailies, or would you prefer to see an update with "game" content that isn't gated through the cartel market?

Personally, I don't buy from the CM. I save my CCs for things that I want that can only be acquired via direct CC expense (like Collections unlocks, or appearance changes). There are a couple of Legacy Unlocks that are modest in CC, but expensive in credits.. and so I will buy those as well.

For all the actual CM content.. I buy it off the GTN at market prices, using credits. It's the sensible thing to do IMO as a subscriber who has the means to do so.

And as to your contention that they are not doing content updates except to the CM now days.. that claim is patently false, and you know it.

I get that you do not like the CM, CCs, or anything associate with them. But just because you feel it is not right, and that there is an unfair balance in content going to the CM.. that does not make it true.

IMO, the balance is pretty good since November, and as a subscriber it has had no negative impacts to my game play, play style, or enjoyment of the game. It would be nice of they did not use the content leap-frog approach on major patches, where they rotate between PvE, PvP, events, QoL, etc. But, that has been their methodology since launch.. so there is no reason to expect them to change it now. Each special interest group simply has to be patient and wait for their piece of cake to release. They are releasing pretty consistently to their post F2P timeline target of 6-8 weeks... so IMO they are in the groove, are moving the game progressively forward, and overall the player base is stable, alive, and enjoying itself.

Personally, I don't buy from the CM. I save my CCs for things that I want that can only be acquired via direct CC expense (like Collections unlocks, or appearance changes). There are a couple of Legacy Unlocks that are modest in CC, but expensive in credits.. and so I will buy those as well.

so what do you do? just run dailies every day on 28 characters? is that broad user base you think bioware should be catering to?

when i was on the forum complaining about dead servers long ago, you were here telling us your server was well populated and doing fine. the same sort of thing you're saying now. i was right. they screwed up, and instead of fixing it they ignored the problem.

I get that you do not like the CM, CCs, or anything associate with them. But just because you feel it is not right, and that there is an unfair balance in content going to the CM.. that does not make it true.

just because i 'feel' something does not make it right. that's true. however, in this case, as in the past, i'm right and you are mistaken. i don't know why you defend bioware when what they do is, on occasion, clearly a bad idea. but you do.

And as to your contention that they are not doing content updates except to the CM now days.. that claim is patently false, and you know it.

what update hasn't been focused on making money from the CM, or from the expansion? return of the gree, update 1.7, was in february, and included new original content. adding a mechanic to an existing op is only an added mechanic, not really new content. you can go to the patch notes and link to the playable content with new story content that has been released since then. or tell me you made a mistake in suggesting my statement is 'patently false.' or just ignore what you said and pretend it will go away.

what you consider 'balanced' looks something like this:

2.1, 5/14, appearance customization. cathar. dyes. name change. all available for cartel coins. nothing that would actually be considered a "game"

2.1.1, a couple weeks later, new 'galactic diversity' bundle, new vehicle, turncoat armor, all available for cartel coins. nothing that would actually be considered a "game."

to be fair, bioware has since then shown their appreciation for their subscribers with extra cartel coins. which can only be spent on the cartel market. see the trend developing yet?

so, is the broad base they're developing for mostly just you, and you don't like actually playing 'games,' but would prefer to just run dailies and buy stuff on the gtn?

so what do you do? just run dailies every day on 28 characters? is that broad user base you think bioware should be catering to?

[/QUOTe]

Same as I do for every MMO I play........I do a wide range of different things in game... totally depending on the mood I am in at that moment. What I do not do is cookie cutter my activities into some boring repetitive grind like you are suggesting. I diversify my play precisely to prevent repetition. Why? because at the end of the day, I recognize that a Game gives me a collection of things to do.. but it is on me to use what is given in a productive, constructive, and non-boring non-tedious manner.

Sometimes, I am doing a guild activity, be an OP, or WB circuit, or whatever.

Sometimes I am rolling with a few guildies helping them with missions

Sometimes I am doing my own thing.. rolling whatever character I feel like playing in whatever direction I choose.

The only thing I do daily is to play one of my favorite mini-games... the GTN. It's what I do in every MMO to pay the bills and provide wealth to do whatever I want to do in a game.

One thing I actually rarely ever do is the dailies. They are boring to me, and I certainly don't need them for the income. The only time I will do dailies in an MMO is if there is a faction/rep reward that I really want and it is locked behind the faction/rep.

MMOs provide a suite of content and activities for players to make use of.. but it's on each player to assess what is presented, and make personal choices for how to apply the content (regardless what the content is). It's on the player to enjoy and continue to enjoy.

Note: the entire rest of your comments are just sour grapes.. repeated for the umpteenth time, in your own biased manner. I do not share your bias against the game, and there is no point in me commenting yet again to the same replayed soundtrack of cynicism and anger.

Edited by Andryah

Actually, it says that that is a one time grant, as in it doesn't repeat on it's own. They can very well give another one time grant at the end of the month.

Or they'll actually give us something not cartel coin related if they actually do read what we write, which I highly doubt at this point.

The fact that they promised to do something similar at the end of the month tells me they really thought they wanted to make this mean something, so they are either forbidden, delayed things too long, are completely unable to see what we may or may not want ,don't really appreciate us at all or multiple of the aforementioned.

Edited by Lyshar

then i suppose we can at least agree i do not know that my statement was patently false

doesn't the cartel market break, our at least somewhat devalue, the in-game gtn? i obviously don't have as much time to invest in this game as you (based on the 28 characters remarks), so i've dabbled with gtn values but not enough to get a good hold of it. what i do know is that bioware 'magics' resources into existence through the cartel market. that means stuff of value is not created through player investment in time or in-game mechanics. instead, resources are introduced into the gtn by spending real-life money. this is sort of like removing the gold backing of paper dollars, except a hell of a lot more unstable since it's a video game. if you and i were to 'compete' in the 'gtn game,' with me spending rl money and you not spending rl money, i would have a considerable advantage. not only that, but depending on how much rl money i spent, i would be establishing the prices of stuff on the gtn and ultimately dictating how much you could make.

you can create wealth, as i understand it, from sending your companions on resources missions, so maybe you're suggesting that's what you do. i don't think those resources are available through the cartel market, so that should not be as affected (except through inflation).