what class?

Collisoldfield

hey all, just bought the game, its patching as we speak :)

Ok so ive been looking round this place, i will be a jedi but im unsure which,

anyone got any pros & cons for jedi knight & consulers, all 4 classes.

ive read the forums and seen some spoilers, that doesnt bother me.

what i want to do is to be able to heal and give out good dps.

I want to be the jack of all trades class if there is one, another main thing for me is that I will be farming so ive read that i will get a helper that can heal me, how effective is this?

also I will be a crafter, i have played FFXI for many years and i know what crafting is.

ive also player kotor 1 & 2, sadly i never got round to trying star wars galaxies out.

I want to be the jack of all trades class if there is one, another main thing for me is that I will be farming so ive read that i will get a helper that can heal me, how effective is this?

also I will be a crafter, i have played FFXI for many years and i know what crafting is.

ive also player kotor 1 & 2, sadly i never got round to trying star wars galaxies out.

Well, if you want to heal then there is only one choice for you ... only one of the Jedi advanced classes can heal. So you'll need to choose consular, and then when the time is right choose the AC that heals (sage).

Edited by shama

Healers aren't jack-of-all-trades class, they are healers :)

Go play farmville ... there aren't farmers in this game, only heroes :D

Seriously though, why farm? And farm what? Playing the game is way more enjoyable than sitting in one area constantly battling 'enemy X'. What are you hoping to get out of farming - and what level are you expecting to do this farming? The only time I'd consider it is when you reach level cap, otherwise any gains you make at lower levels from farming will be surpassed just by gaining levels.

For example, sitting at level 10 'farming' XP from low level mobs is pointless when just following quests will get you more XP. Similarly with credits: you'll get more from quests AND go up levels which will then reward more silver. Crafting ingredients? Might as well just run missions to get them and save your frayed patience looking for spawn nodes.

Anyway, obviously you can play how you like but starting to play with the intention of farming is not something I can even contemplate! It's like paying a monthly sub to play whack-a-mole or something ... ludicrous.

As someone who has both a Jedi knight sentinel and a jedi knight guardian, I personally like the guardian better. It really comes down to how you want to play. The sentinel is a dual wielding dps class. It only does dps, and wear medium armor. THe guardian is a tank/dps class. It can do both or a combination of both (mine is an off tank, so I have a mix of dps and defense skills so it can do both well enough). For me, I enjoy protecting my friends, so the guardian is my absolute favorite. I love putting guard on them and being able to taunt everything off of them in pve, and lower players damage who are attacking them in pvp. It's about preference.

You mentioned you want to be able to dps and heal. If you want heals, you'll have to go jedi consular and get a sage. The consular can either become a shadow or a sage. The shadow is a melee dps/tank class. The sage, however is a ranged dps/healer class. So with a sage you will be able to heal or dps, but it won't be melee. So that decision is up to you as to which you think would fit your playstyle the best in the end.

And yes, every class gets a healer companion eventually. The level at which it happens is different, but you will get one.

Edited by thewayshemoves

to sum it up

Jedi Knight with Jedi Guardian advanced class: Tank or melee dps

Jedi Knight with Jedi Sentinel advanced class: Melee dps only

Jedi Consular with Jedi Shadow advanced class: Tank or melee dps (with stealth)

Jedi Consular with Jedi Sage advanced class: Healer or ranged dps