grand army of republic (clone army) vs army of old republic (swtor era)

rogetrooper

I can't believe Kota's opinion of Clones is being used here. Time after time Clones have been shown to be adaptive and inventive on the battlefield. Not only that, but they were trained to be the best fighting force in the galaxy.

Also, the GAR has far better vehicles in its arsenal, including the AT-AT.

I must agree. Clone's were known to be just as adaptive to variable situations as normal human beings. Coupled with their superior training, a clone division would be FAR more efficient then the OR armies of the Republic; we may infer that they would have exceptional aptitude for teamwork and team innovation with 10+ of training companion training from birth. In my opinion, that would outweigh another forces ability even if they are veterans. Perhaps in a 1 vs 1 battle, are OR would defeat a clone troop, however, in war teamwork is whats required

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe Kota's opinion of Clones is being used here. Time after time Clones have been shown to be adaptive and inventive on the battlefield. Not only that, but they were trained to be the best fighting force in the galaxy.

Also, the GAR has far better vehicles in its arsenal, including the AT-AT.

Except Rohm was proven to be, for the most part, correct there was a reason his group was one of the most decorated and successful because the life experiences outside of combat gave his men a wider knowledge base thus giving access to ideas that some one who is trained from birth would never have. He was also correct in not trusting the clones to think for themselves and just follow orders which lead to the death of nearly all the Jedi.

So all-in-all his opinion is meaningless until we look at the circumstances and he was proven absolutely correct in his opinion in every way other wise his troop would not have been nearly as successful or as decorated in comparison to the clone counter parts, but it was the reverse with his being one of the highest decorated and most successful. Where their clone counter parts that did just as well if not better, yes, were they the average, no. The average is what we are talking about here. When talking about the Average the average highly trained home grown human being is better then the Average Highly trained clone troop. Heck another example is Boba Fett vs the average clone. They are both made from the same DNA Boba just had a full life to experience everything the world has to offer heck last I checked Boba didn't go through the clones training program either so that just shows what a normal human being is capable of, slanted argument yes but it serves the point.

Except Rohm was proven to be, for the most part, correct there was a reason his group was one of the most decorated and successful because the life experiences outside of combat gave his men a wider knowledge base thus giving access to ideas that some one who is trained from birth would never have. He was also correct in not trusting the clones to think for themselves and just follow orders which lead to the death of nearly all the Jedi.

So all-in-all his opinion is meaningless until we look at the circumstances and he was proven absolutely correct in his opinion in every way other wise his troop would not have been nearly as successful or as decorated in comparison to the clone counter parts, but it was the reverse with his being one of the highest decorated and most successful. Where their clone counter parts that did just as well if not better, yes, were they the average, no. The average is what we are talking about here. When talking about the Average the average highly trained home grown human being is better then the Average Highly trained clone troop. Heck another example is Boba Fett vs the average clone. They are both made from the same DNA Boba just had a full life to experience everything the world has to offer heck last I checked Boba didn't go through the clones training program either so that just shows what a normal human being is capable of, slanted argument yes but it serves the point.

Even if you were right, what does this have to do with the OR soldiers? Not only that, but you failed to counter my point that the Clones are smart and adaptable.

Not that it matters, I highly doubt OR soldiers are superior to Clone Troopers. No one has even provided any evidence to prove that they are except for them fighting organics, which is not really evidence.

Edited by Aurbere

Even if you were right, what does this have to do with the OR soldiers? Not only that, but you failed to counter my point that the Clones are smart and adaptable.

Not that it matters, I highly doubt OR soldiers are superior to Clone Troopers. No one has even provided any evidence to prove that they are except for them fighting organics, which is not really evidence.

They are adaptable but not as much as an OR soldier would be. The average OR soldier would be very much like the Militia of Rohm Kota, their life experiences both in and out of combat and their ability to disobey orders that would get them killed and instead use a different means to accomplish the same task makes them better. All of that is the point Rohm Militia was the average everyday trained human. The clones have 9 years of training it is likely that the OR soldiers had at least 3 years of training along with more then 20 years of life experience before hand. The average OR soldier had to fight against people just like themselves which means they had to be more inventive then their opponents something that would have been vastly more difficult to do then it would have been for the clones to be more "inventive" then droids. Making a direct comparison between them is impossible do to the thousands of years difference, so we have to compare the average clone to the closest thing in their era to an OR soldier and that is Rohm Kota's Militia and that Militia was better then the Average Clone troop.

They are adaptable but not as much as an OR soldier would be. The average OR soldier would be very much like the Militia of Rohm Kota, their life experiences both in and out of combat and their ability to disobey orders that would get them killed and instead use a different means to accomplish the same task makes them better. All of that is the point Rohm Militia was the average everyday trained human. The clones have 9 years of training it is likely that the OR soldiers had at least 3 years of training along with more then 20 years of life experience before hand. The average OR soldier had to fight against people just like themselves which means they had to be more inventive then their opponents something that would have been vastly more difficult to do then it would have been for the clones to be more "inventive" then droids. Making a direct comparison between them is impossible do to the thousands of years difference, so we have to compare the average clone to the closest thing in their era to an OR soldier and that is Rohm Kota's Militia and that Militia was better then the Average Clone troop.

/sigh

We're going nowhere real fast. Then again, I had no real interest in this thread to begin with. Just came into this thread to clear a few points up, but that never works because some people just can't let things go.

I'm going to go with the side with the 3000 year edge in tech.

That is something I would really like to attempt to find out more about. I keep hearing people say that because of the "dark ages" period that a lot of tech was lost and only during the Old Republic era that it's being rediscovered/reinvented. heard some people even try to say that the Republic/Sith in the game era is more advanced than clone wars era/Empire. I'd love to know where they are getting this information from, not that it is in this thread just discussions I've seen in game and no one gives a source other than some comics, knight errant or something.

I've always been under the impression that while some of the tech is impressive and unique during the SWTOR era that the Old Republic/Empire is way more advanced.

The 3000 year advantage is.....not an advantage.

The GAR didn't have cloaking or Rakata tech. In fact, IMO, the prequel-era Republic was the absolute weakest incarnation of the Republic. Both the earlier Old Republic and the New Republic had better tech, better government, and better military. Besides TCW, clones are shown throughout movie canon to be weak-minded, easily beaten, and easily manipulated without any moral strength.

Therefore, I think the RA > GAR

The GAR didn't have cloaking or Rakata tech.

When did the Old Republic use Rakatan tech? And the PT Republic did use cloaking devices.

In fact, IMO, the prequel-era Republic was the absolute weakest incarnation of the Republic. Both the earlier Old Republic and the New Republic had better tech, better government, and better military.

Better tech? How about some examples? Better military? How's that now? I'm pretty sure the Old Republic didn't employ Star dreadnaughts or AT-ATs.

Besides TCW, clones are shown throughout movie canon to be weak-minded, easily beaten, and easily manipulated without any moral strength.

Want to elaborate? But really, disregarding TCW completely invalidates your post as it is the highest level of canon in the depictions of the Clone Wars.

Let's be real here. What does the Old Republic have in its favor? How good are its vehicles? What kind of weapons do its troops have?* Because I think the GAR has this victory locked down tight.

*One of the reasons I'm not very interested in this thread. Lack of depth.

Edited by Aurbere

Better tech? How about some examples? Better military? How's that now? I'm pretty sure the Old Republic didn't employ Star dreadnaughts or AT-ATs.

Old Republic had star dreadnoughts. 10km versions of Terminus' and of course, the Star of Coruscant.

Edited by Selenial

Eh, it's a moot point anyway. You see what I did there, right? :p

TBH, i think the GAR is superior too, but really not by much. We haven't seen much of the OR's feats in space, but we've seen a lot of the experimental stuff they've come up with on the ground. The death mark, Magnytar Rifles.... So much cool stuff, all because of the great War, i'd say they're closer than you think.

TBH, i think the GAR is superior too, but really not by much. We haven't seen much of the OR's feats in space, but we've seen a lot of the experimental stuff they've come up with on the ground. The death mark, Magnytar Rifles.... So much cool stuff, all because of the great War, i'd say they're closer than you think.

Dumbest weapon ever.

Really? It one shots anyone dude :p

If you don't like that, then what about the planetary prison?

Also, what level is your knight now :p

My issue with the Death Mark is that it isn't really explained on how it works. It's been a long time since I went through Alderaan on a Knight, but from what I remember I guess you put a Batman tracker on someone and then they get killed by some death ray.

Which leads me to believe that it is the slower, younger cousin of the Galaxy Gun or Death Star.

But I counter your Planet Prison with my favorite superweapon: the Omega Frost.

Anyway, my Knight is halfway through Taris. At the rate I'm going, it will take a long time to get to Alderaan. :p

My issue with the Death Mark is that it isn't really explained on how it works. It's been a long time since I went through Alderaan on a Knight, but from what I remember I guess you put a Batman tracker on someone and then they get killed by some death ray.

Which leads me to believe that it is the slower, younger cousin of the Galaxy Gun or Death Star.

But I counter your Planet Prison with my favorite superweapon: the Omega Frost.

Anyway, my Knight is halfway through Taris. At the rate I'm going, it will take a long time to get to Alderaan. :p

I started a Shadow last week and she's already 42 >.> You're taking ages O.O

The Omega Frost was far less efficient than the Planet Prison. I mean come on, the combination of Super Weapons that the republic build (Put together by the Empire) that was powerful enough to destroy Tython.... Must have been pretty incredible.

I started a Shadow last week and she's already 42 >.> You're taking ages O.O

The Omega Frost was far less efficient than the Planet Prison. I mean come on, the combination of Super Weapons that the republic build (Put together by the Empire) that was powerful enough to destroy Tython.... Must have been pretty incredible.

The Omega Frost is cooler.

Core technologies have remained the same, but they have been refined and improved upon over time.

The Clones were created for the sole purpose that they were adaptable, and would be far more able to battle the droid armies, which were rigid.

I am going to go with the GAR on this one. At least if you are limited it to this amount, the OR army is probably much larger.

The GAR didn't have cloaking or Rakata tech. In fact, IMO, the prequel-era Republic was the absolute weakest incarnation of the Republic. Both the earlier Old Republic and the New Republic had better tech, better government, and better military. Besides TCW, clones are shown throughout movie canon to be weak-minded, easily beaten, and easily manipulated without any moral strength.

Therefore, I think the RA > GAR

Their clones, and its a movie and a movie makes any soldiers look like fodder. And they were "manipulated" after palpatine gave the order to kill jedi because they were "programmed" if you will to obey the chancellor.

Edited by Cordarn

Old Republic had star dreadnoughts. 10km versions of Terminus' and of course, the Star of Coruscant.

What model was the Star of Coruscant? Was it actually revealed? Because just looking on the remains on Hoth doesn't really give you an idea of how it used to look :p