Petition to Name and Shame PVP Hackers

Icykill_

3 party sites are better for this. Teamliquid (sc2) always has a thread about hacking, and many times people watch the replay to find proof, and if it's found, they get listed in the OP. Of course, you would need a site where the IQ level of your average forum poster isn't below 80 to just post "crai ma rivah" and such things.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, you would need a site where the IQ level of your average forum poster isn't below 80 to just post "crai ma rivah" and such things.

If the average isn't below 80 ? Only 80 ?

It shouldn't be below 100 if we're talking about average, or people's average IQ in the forum would be lower than the average IQ of people in the streets.

Edited by Altheran

As long as you have video proof and not accusing someone just because he knows how to play better than you i agree.

This is important. Especially if this idea goes ahead. Maybe a good start would be to display true hacks on video (with annotation/explanation) so people know what they're seeing, and also show people those legitimate abilities & buffs that are often mistaken for hacks (since not everyone has an alt of every class). True hacks obviously exist, but abilities like Predation and the talented movement buff attached to Sneak are occasionally mistaken for hacks by players who don't know any better.

I was accused of hacking tonight.

Apparently I was using a "stealth hack".

It wasn't that the 7 50's hunting me down had never heard of Sneak before. Or that you can use rocket boots in stealth. No no. It was because I hacked.

I'm against naming and shaming explicitly because of crap like this. I was accused of speed hacking in Void Star just last week. Because the moron's ON MY OWN TEAM didn't know there was a speed boost before the 2nd door.

If it's legit: Record it (if you can), report it and let BioWare sort it out.

There's WAAAAAAAY too many people out there unfamiliar with other classes and how to play those other classes to start taking every "hacking name and shame" thread seriously.

I'm with this guy

It shouldn't be below 100 if we're talking about average, or people's average IQ in the forum would be lower than the average IQ of people in the streets.

I am talking about the average of your forum members, not the average of your average level of own stupidity.

What good would it do to see a list of gamer handles that are banned and can't play anymore? Or are you asking for real names? :eek:

Personally I am sick of all the hacking accusations I see in general chat during WZs, especially since I've been wrongly accused a couple times of speed hacks because of predation, force speed, lag, etc. I should have reported the person for calling me out. Next time I will, I dont hack.

Discuss it with the other people in you wz group, report it, and move on. Maybe friend them to see if they keep playing. If they really are hacking in a way BW can catch, they'll get banned.

/notsigned

Name it "Wall of Shame" (as opposed to "Wall of Fame")

the wall of shame is nice but i would go with the ones to be killed later""":eek:

now i would use cheets only to kill the cheeters

Edited by Naboth

I agree.

However, greedy execs who don't play video games may not care. One could argue that they benefit more from not banning anyone, and simply allowing them to keep spending money on the game service is their best bet.

You maybe right about them not caring... but it definitely would not be in their best interest. Say only a small percentage (5%) hack, but it is a major reason that 30% of players leave the game... what would you rather lose... 5% or 30%... especially when the hackers may only be free to play to start with.

Edited by Icykill_

As long as you have video proof and not accusing someone just because he knows how to play better than you i agree.

All we have to do is report them to Bio. It is up to Bio to investigate. I am NOT proposing we do the name and shame, that would be Bio's job.

What I am proposing is if Bio catch/confirm someone hacking, as well as banning them, they should also put their character names on the name and shame thread.

At no time do I think we should be able to post on that Thread, only Bio should have access to post

Don't think BW would countenance having such a thread on their forum pages. However there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, preventing you from creating a private website that does what the OP suggests. Claims that this would run afoul of privacy laws are not well thought out. You wouldn't be revealing anyone's personal details. Would such a site, if it were successful, eventually out an innocent player? Or course. We execute people who are innocent too. We invade countries that don't have WMDs. So what?

... I mean NOTHING, preventing you from creating a private website that does what the OP suggests.QUOTE]

Guys, the thread to Name and Shame is NOT one that I believe we as players should do....

As many have pointed out... not everyone knows what a hack is and quite often it is a legit ability of that class...

Too many innocent people would get named and this is not what we want...!

What this petition is supposed to do is ask Bio/EA to post on a forum thread or even a section of the website, a list of people that Bio/EA have confirmed <through technical means> as being hackers/cheats and have banned them for a week or banned entirely from the game....

The only way this happens is if those players are reported to Bio via the help/submit ticket in the game and are then found to be guilty of Hacking... THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE BY BIO... we should NOT be able to edit the Thread, only a Bio representative should.

That being said Bio should impose harsher penalties on those people they banned... 1 week is not enough... minimum should be 1 month...

Also Bio do send the banned person an email explaining the ban and gives the person the ability to request a review of the data that Bio looked at to determine if there was a hack.

All we have to do is report them to Bio. It is up to Bio to investigate. I am NOT proposing we do the name and shame, that would be Bio's job.

What I am proposing is if Bio catch/confirm someone hacking, as well as banning them, they should also put their character names on the name and shame thread.

At no time do I think we should be able to post on that Thread, only Bio should have access to post

What's the point then :/? You already can report players and create tickets...

Plus, say i come home drunk one night and go to pvp, rage because i suck, download hacks, play the game like RAWWWRRR, and obviously get banned. If it's forever, what do you care what my name is? I'll never be able to play again :/ and if i get banned for a week or whatever my name is now on this wall of shame thread, no one wants to play with me, i get whispers like "you suck" or "catch fire" or "die ye foul beast". My game experience is forever ruined, i have no chance at redemption...

The system is fine as it is imho... I pvp a lot and i saw only one suspect hacker. They do exist, but the phenomenon isn't game breaking

I admit I don't know all the ins and outs of every class, but what ability allows players to do this? Seems to be an effective way of monitoring and responding to nodes in civil war. Maybe just a bug, but odd that a fairly prominent pvp guild that wins a lot of WZs was a "victim" of it. Kind of reminds me of jumping the wall to get to mid in the early civil war days.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3300/screenshot2013031900050.jpg

Exploit, maybe.

Hack, prove that it's not possible to do through exploits, and you might have a point, otherwise I would consider it an exploit.

Also I think the point of the OP was BioWare name the hackers, which would still leave your responsibility being to report them, posting that screenshot with the names in there, is actually a violation of the TOS.

I am talking about the average of your forum members, not the average of your average level of own stupidity.

Huh ? What ?

IQ has been designed so that 100 is the average value.

If a community has an average IQ of 100, the logic of these people would be of the same quality of what you'd get if you go out and speak to people in your town (asuming your town is "the average").

If the average value for a community is below 100, it means that the level of stupidity (here, stupidity = lack of logic, not knowledge) of the said community is higher than what you'd expect from random people. And it's known how average people can be freaking stupid.

If the average of a community is so low that it only reaches 80 it means that at most, most of "the intelligent ones" (understand "the ones who have a better logic") are just average people (exculding some rare exceptions).

If you're looking for a minimum of "quality" in the conversations and logic of people, you have to aim for higher than 100, otherwise it would just be average or bad.

By the way the average of average has no sense. It's just the average.

What's the point then :/? You already can report players and create tickets...

The point is that the people who get caught and punished by BioWare, feel ashamed by making their name and violations public. The goal isn't to say "I suspect this one to cheat" in the thread, it is to let BioWare say "we've caught this one cheating".

It's like Police reports.

Edited by Altheran

The newspapers publicly post those who have been arrested. (Even their home addresses).

As does the news networks (even posting pictures.)

Look at sites like familywatchdog.us

So, why is it that hackers should magically be allowed anonymity for their crimes in the video-game world?

The newspapers publicly post those who have been arrested. (Even their home addresses).

As does the news networks (even posting pictures.)

Look at sites like familywatchdog.us

So, why is it that hackers should magically be allowed anonymity for their crimes in the video-game world?

You're comparing public records to information that may be protected by corporate privacy policies/terms of service. Also you're comparing information deemed factual by federal and civil courts to information posted by anonymous posters on the Internet.

Your basis for comparison is a little... skewed.

You're comparing public records to information that may be protected by corporate privacy policies/terms of service. Also you're comparing information deemed factual by federal and civil courts to information posted by anonymous posters on the Internet.

Your basis for comparison is a little... skewed.

So, have Bioware present a written statement of known/banned hackers. When you give people the freedom of anonymity and take away the repercussions of their actions you free up people to show their true colors. Which is why the internet has so many *****hats. If we openly and publicly shame them, maybe they'll think twice.

Probably not, but maybe.

So, have Bioware present a written statement of known/banned hackers. When you give people the freedom of anonymity and take away the repercussions of their actions you free up people to show their true colors. Which is why the internet has so many *****hats. If we openly and publicly shame them, maybe they'll think twice.

Probably not, but maybe.

No corporation on this planet will ever do what you propose. The possibilities for litigation are endless. That's just really bad business and at the end of the day BioWare is a business... not a non-profit lobbying for world peace.

You're comparing public records to information that may be protected by corporate privacy policies/terms of service.

There would be no privacy violation as no personal information would be posted... only the players character(s)