Minimum Gear For Endgame (is my list accurate)

After reading from Bioware that the new 1.4 Terror From Beyond story mode operation was tuned for full Columi groups, further proved by people who said it was too easy when they were over geared with rakata and campaign, I decided to make a list of what should be a reasonable gear requirement for all endgame content. This is based on loot drops so that when you do the instance, the drops are improvements to what you should have. Does this all seem reasonable? And yes I know some people will disagree and will kick people from groups since they want a quick EASY run, but this should keep people challenged in all instances instead of facerolling the instance. What you all think?

Recommended Gear Requirements:

Hard Mode Flashpoints:

Esseles,Black Talon, Taral V, Boarding Party, Malestrom Prison, Directive 7, The Battle of Ilum, The False Emperor (Fresh 50's)

Kaon Under Siege (SM/HM) (Fresh 50's)

Lost Island (SM) (Fresh 50's)

Lost Island (HM) (Tionese)

Operations:

Eternity Vault (SM) (Fresh 50's / Tionese)

Eternity Vault (HM/NM) (Tionese/Columi)

Karagga's Palace (SM) (Fresh 50's / Tionese)

Karagga's Palace (HM/NM) (Tionese/Columi)

Explosive Conflict (SM) (Columi)

Explosive Conflict (HM/NM) (Rakata)

Terror From Beyond (SM) (Columi)

Terror From Beyond (HM) (Campaign)

I'm sure your list is fine as a guideline, but gear isn't the be all and end all, I find it annoying that some players still don't understand this! (no offense to you).

Just because you're in appropriate gear doesn't mean you're necessarily ready to go downing the relevant bosses, from what I've read this tier is quite a step up from previous tiers, so some players might find it quite a bit more challenging than the were prepared for.

On the other hand, some players might not need such high levels of gear, as they're more experienced players, and could cope relatively fine in more challenging and intensive content with lesser gear.

Remember, don't get frustrated just because you have supposedly high enough gear and yet are still struggling, but at the same time don't be so trepidatious when it comes to tackling the next challenge just because some site says your gear isn't good enough, even though you feel ready.

Obviously there will be some limititaions (tanks may need a certain amount of HP otherwise they will get one shot no matter how good they are).

Remember, bring the player, not the gear they're wearing!

The OP's list is basically correct, from the viewpoint that the encounters were tuned for that level of gear.

However, I would say that only very skilled players can master the operation at that gear level (e.g. Tionese in Lost Island or Columi for NM EV)

The less skill one has, the more gear you'd need to master an operation. But the best gear in the game won't help you beat LR-5 if you don't interrupt incinerate, or beat the Infernal Council if they have a poor rotation, or kill Kephess if you don't handle the tank swap, etc. etc.

Order of importance (imo):

1. Learn to play your class well (if you're wearing black hole gear and can't kill your Infernal Council member, there's something wrong with your rotation)

2. Learn the mechanics of the fights.

3. Get better gear.

Edited by Khevar

KP and EV Story mode I think need tionese

while the hard modes need full columni or better.

Nightmare need full rakata or better

EC needs full rakata or better for either mode right now, after the patch that will likely be different.

This is wrong. You are overgearing the content.

Regards,

KK

This is wrong. You are overgearing the content.

Regards,

KK

I believe it's not a matter of overgearing the content. It's using gear to lessen the impact of lack of skill in class or lack of ability to handle boss mechanics.

Edited by Khevar

Sorry if this is sort of a stupid question... new player here. Can we bring pvp gear to hard modes?

It depends on what type of PvP gear and what type of content:

1. HM Flashpoints in Recruit gear -- Can be done if you're a skilled player, but in a random group you won't get a lot of love as it is frowned upon.

2. HM FP in Battlemaster -- Much better gear and you should be fine. Anyone that would try and kick you from a HMFP due to BM gear isn't someone you want to group with anyway.

3. HM FP in War Hero -- You're 100% fine.

4. HM Operations (EV/KP) in Recruit gear -- Better be in a guild group with people who like you or you're ****ed.

5. HM Ops in Battlemaster -- Can be done, many will frown upon it and may not want you in their group.

6. HM Ops in War Hero -- I've brought WH players along to HM Ops and they did fine. Not everyone will agree with me, however. Many "purists" will figure that if you're good enough to do HM Ops, why don't you have any PvE gear anyway?

Nothing is stopping you from bringing PvP gear to a HM raid, but if I'm leading the raid you will be the first person I drop :D

If it's just EV or KP there's really no reason to kick them. BM gear is good enough for that. And how many people do you drop when leading a raid? Maybe the problem is how it's being approached :D

Couple of suggestions (assuming you're in a group with players in a similar gear, and assuming the group does not consist of top server players)^

Lost Island (HM) (Tionese) - I'd recommend Columi

Eternity Vault (HM/NM) (Tionese/Columi)

Karagga's Palace (HM/NM) (Tionese/Columi) - Please separate HM and NM for these two ops. They're of completely different difficulty. For KP NiM you'd better to be in at least 50/50 Columi/Rakata. EV is a bit easier, but still, no Tionese for sure.

Explosive Conflict (HM/NM) (Rakata) - I'd recommend 50/50 Rakata/BH for HM

Sorry if this is sort of a stupid question... new player here. Can we bring pvp gear to hard modes?

The general rule is that PvP gear is 1-2 tiers down on PvE gear based on stats. So if your PvP hear has better stats than PvE gear (discarding Expertise of course), you're good.

As said above, there are some players who zealously object to using PvP gear in PvE even if PvP gear has better stats. Thankfully such cases are not common on my server.

Edited by Lightning_

On Monday I dinged 50, got two BM pieces for set bonus, augmented my lvl 49 purple implants/ears, got my lvl 50 matrix cube, picked up the free recruit token, sold it, and bought recruit offhand and relic. Also bought a barrel for mainhand from mission support vendor on Belsavis. I already had level 50-51 purple modded orange armor from the 48-50 normal flashpoints. This was sufficient to heal through the same day KP normal mode and Directive 7 HM. Later on I got enough commendations to buy a BM mainhand as well, and got 2 or 3 Columi drops also. So if you do quite a bit of of pvp and flashpoints before level 50, you should be ready to go for most of the HM flashpoints and EV/KP SM as soon as you hit 50 (provided you are aware of mechanics and know what you are doing). Suggest to read some guides and do the normal version of HM FPs before you go for any of them.

I'd never ever team up with anyone below full Columi in HM Lost Island. Columi geared person needs to be a good player too. If he/she is an average player I'd rather go with Rakata/columi.

Hard Mode Operations / SM EC is Tionese / Columi, but at critical bosses they may have issues like Soa, G4-B3, Kephess if they are not full Columi.

Hard Mode Flashpoints / imo need ql 120+ gear to run fine, below this and someone else has to overgear the content to carry you.

HM EC is Full Rakata minimum (if unaugmented they'll have troubles in Kephess)

NiM KP / EV -- Rakata/Columi, KP is slightly harder than EV.

• 2 months later...

I run ops and had the company of the Guild PVP'er and He may not have the best PVE gear ( he has full WH gear'd marauder ) But damn me they sure do have there rotations down and if it kills the boss who can complain. :rolleyes:

I'd never ever team up with anyone below full Columi in HM Lost Island. Columi geared person needs to be a good player too. If he/she is an average player I'd rather go with Rakata/columi.

Sorry but this part just gets me. That's absurd.

My first run through Lost Island ( as a Sentinel) I was probably 50/50 Columi and recruit mk-2 gear. It was an interesting run because half of the group of 4 was there for the very first time, but damned if we didn't finish the whole thing. And NO it was not a zerg fest with deaths every few encounters and NO the 2 people with experience were not uber geared to carry the other 2 through. What those 2 experienced people DID have was patience and a willingness to explain the encounters and offer suggestions on how best to overcome them. More people could benefit from that kind of attitude.

Lost Island isn't as hard as people make it out to be. It's almost completely about coordination and working together and after someone sees how an encounter goes and the entire team puts forth a moderate amount of effort to work together instead of arguing and pointing fingers it becomes... rather easy.

Heck, before I started collecting Rakata I was complimented more than once on my DPS performance on LI and no I do not think it's because I am an Uber player. I hold no illusions about that, I am an average player or above average at best. I just put in effort to adapt my play style to my team and pay attention to what needs to be done.

As for someone looking to run LI for the first time I would probably suggest half columi at the minimum and by that time you should probably be sporting a few BH items bought with comms. If you are a tank, you'd want to be geared slightly better.

yea the list seems fine but like everyone says it depends on the player. I've tanked li hm with a healer that was in full recruit gear. i was skeptical at first but i figured what the hell give him the chance. me n the 2 dps weren't overgeared but we did what we could to stay outta bad like your supposed to. but the healer made up for lack of gear in his experience playing his class. i dont remember his name or id give him a shout out lol but he knew how to heal with his op healer. so i found it funny when i went to do li hm with my maruader (only been 50 for less than a day but i had already run kp hm once i got full columi) when before my game could finish loading the instance they kicked me due to low gear. now the tank had gone solely on hp which was (17k almost 18k) n based on their hp they were in at least bh/rakata mix. so i just got in another group and by the time we had finished him n his group were still in the instance :D . i would just like to add 1 question would everyone equate bh=campaign or not just cuz of the set bonus

Terror From Beyond (HM) (Campaign)

I only noticed one thing I'd disagree with in your list (I'm glad to see someone agrees with me on almost all the requirements for a change:D:D:D:D:D:D).

AUGMENTED-Campaign for HM TFB is important. You can clear it with 1-2 people having no augments, or everyone only having 10 augments, but +70 Augments is seen by most to be a must for beating the final boss, the Terror from Beyond itself.

Gear helps a ton, but its the amount of skill that is important. Generally for Tier 1 FP's tio/recuit/moded gear from dailies, for HM Lost Island I would say at least columi (56 grade mods). As for SM ev/kp tio/recuit/moded gear, HM ev/kp columi, SM EC (aka devona) columi/rakata/black hole, HM EC black hole, SM TfB rakata/black hole, HM TfB black hole/campaign. I'm not sure about Nightmare EC but I would guess that it would be dread guard.