The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 04: Shaak Ti vs. Luminara Unduli

Aurbere

Welcome to the fourth match of The BattleZone! Here we take thirty-two of the greatest Jedi and Sith the galaxy has ever known and pit them against each other in an all-out tournament. Our previous match-up saw Darth Plagueis outsmart Lord Vitiate to pick up the victory.

The fourth match-up will see Jedi Master Shaak Ti battle Jedi Master Luminara Unduli.

Battlefield: Jedi Temple

Lightsaber Skill:

Shaak Ti:

Jedi Master Shaak Ti was considered by her peers to be a master duelist and a cunning warrior. While she preferred diplomacy over combat, this did not impair her skill. She studied and practiced all seven lightsaber forms, though she preferred Makashi and Ataru.

In battle she was very graceful, using precise acrobatic maneuvers to gain a tactical advantage. Her cranial horns were able to further aid this trait by gathering information of her environment ultrasonically. This allowed her to have an incredible environmental advantage. Through this advantage, she was able to move faster and fight with accuracy greater than most Jedi.

Luminara Unduli:

Luminara was a truly gifted duelist. Trained as a Jedi Guardian, her skill with the lightsaber was greater than most Jedi. She mastered the Soresu form, and possessed skill in Djem So. Through her skill with the blade, she was able to defend herself against the Dark Jedi Asajj Ventress, even while her vision was impaired.

She had also trained her body to be incredibly flexible. She could twist to evade any attack that she did not block. Her movements were considered by her peers to be perfect.

In addition to her lightsaber skills, she was also skilled in hand-to-hand combat. Even while handcuffed, she was able to hold off several undead Geonosian Warriors.

Edge: Both Shaak Ti and Luminara are very skilled duelists, but Luminara is a true master of the blade. Her mastery of Soresu, and skill in Djem So, give her a slight edge over the more well-rounded skill of Shaak Ti.

Physicality:

Shaak Ti:

Shaak Ti is physically fit. She is light on her feet, capable of sneaking up on allies and enemies. In battle, she executes her movements with grace and precision, and often adds acrobatic movements into her attack.

As a Togruta, her body is slim and fairly flexible, allowing her to perform incredible acrobatic maneuvers. Her cranial horns give her a passive echolocation, giving her precise information on her surroundings.

Luminara Unduli:

As a Mirialan, Luminara is naturally very flexible and agile. Her intense Jedi training has increased her natural abilities by a large margin. She spent many years during her long Jedi career focused on making herself incredibly flexible. This resulted in her being able to dodge and evade any attack.

Edge: Both of them exhibit similar traits in that they are both incredibly acrobatic fighters. However, Luminara Unduli's flexibility and agility is naturally superior to Shaak Ti's. But Shaak Ti's cranial horns will allow her to make up for this disadvantage. Taking this into consideration, the edge goes to neither of them.

Mentality:

Shaak Ti:

Shaak Ti was very independant, preferring to operate alone. She often acted outside of the Jedi Order's jurisdiction when it came to training students. She would take her students to her homeworld to train them, but the lack of experience caused her students to be killed shortly after being knighted.

In battle, she was a cunning warrior. She used the advantages provided by her physique and her cranial horns to outmaneuver and outwit her foes.

While sitting on the Jedi Council, Shaak Ti remained silent, only offering calm words when need be. During the Clone Wars, she became disheartened as she as unable to properly reflect on the Order's place in the war.

However, after the rise of the Empire, Shaak Ti changed. She began to rely only on herself, taking it upon herself to prepare for when she would strike back against the Empire. She believed that the Will of the Force was all that she needed to guide her, and that it would lead her to her destiny.

Luminara Unduli:

Luminara Unduli was a calm Jedi Master. While sometimes she seemed to be angry, she hardly lost control over herself. She was believed by Quinlan Vos to be the easiest Jedi to connect to. This is exemplified in her relationship with Barris Offee. Together, these two Jedi shared a powerful bond that was reflected in combat. They could easily execute movements simultaneously with great speed. However, she held firm to Jedi beliefs, and was prepared to let Barris go when the time came.

Luminara was also very confident in battle. However, this could turn into overconfidence. Her overconfidence almost cost her her life in her duel with Asajj Ventress.

Edge: I feel that Luminara's confidence in herself may be her undoing against a cunning warrior such as Shaak Ti. Master Ti gets the edge here.

Force Power:

Shaak Ti:

Shaak Ti was renowned as a legendary master of the Force.

In addition to her standard Jedi abilities, she possessed an incredible affinity for the natural world. She was able to use the Force to control the minds of beasts, and sway them to her side. She was also capable of using the Force to alter the environment around her. She was able to couple this with the Consitor Sato technique, allowing her to manipulate plant life to ensnare opponents.

Luminara Unduli:

Luminara trained in the way of the Jedi Guardian, preferring the physical aspects of the Force. However, Luminara was not lacking in strength in the Force. She coupled the physical enhancements provided by the Force with her natural ability to evade attacks to give her an almost unparalleled degree of agility. She was also able to run with incredible speeds and lead huge heights.

She also possessed a profound danger sense, and powerful telekinetic abilities.

Edge: While Luminara's skill with the Force is impressive, she preferred to enhance her physical body. Shaak Ti's mastery of the Force in several exotic areas, while unlikely to occur here, would give her the edge.

(Note that when I give the edge to someone, it is only my opinion)

Who will win? Who is truly superior?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/hisses at Shaak Ti and shuns her, instantly voting for Luminara!

But no really, rats two more characters that I ain't fully have looked upon in my studies. So am unsure of whom to vote for(even though I don't really like Ti, for reasons that you know), but am giving the bout in saber combat to Luminara and force ability to Ti(quite obvious). However I feel this duel could go either way, it really depends on who would make the 1st mistake from the two.

Hmmmm... well Shaak Ti seems just an all round powerful Jedi while Unduli was bested (yeah here it comes) by Asajj Ventress who apparently wields a 'sloppy' variant of Makashi. Granted she was partially blinded but in this battle her opponent is profoundly more powerful in the Force and of much greater lightsaber skill. If Unduli' Soresu can't cut Ventress' Makashi, then she won't be able to hold off a far more refined assault from Shaak Ti, backed with Force powers.

Shaak Ti wins.

While Luminara was defeated by Ventress, she was visually impaired. While this doesn't mean much as a Jedi can operate without sight, it means that she wasn't fighting at her full strength.

Now consider her at full strength, with the large halls and rooms of the Jedi Temple. I think the fight would be quite close.

While Luminara was defeated by Ventress, she was visually impaired. While this doesn't mean much as a Jedi can operate without sight, it means that she wasn't fighting at her full strength.

Now consider her at full strength, with the large halls and rooms of the Jedi Temple. I think the fight would be quite close.

Also consider that she'll be up against an opponent arguably twice as powerful as Ventress. Then it's not so close.

Also consider that she'll be up against an opponent arguably twice as powerful as Ventress. Then it's not so close.

'Twice as powerful' is a pretty bold statement.

However, I just rewatched the Luminara vs. Ventress duel, and they were pretty even (Luminara even pushed her back), despite Luminara being slightly visually impaired. The duel didn't end until their Force Pushes off-set each other and Ventress gained a tactical advantage.

So Force-wise, Shaak Ti is more powerful. But dueling skill would be a bit closer than you think.

Edit: Just pulled out my copy of the TFU novel. Seems Shaak Ti almost killed Starkiller, but it ended up being a 'kamikaze' attack. Though, I wonder, what version is canon? The game, or the novel? Perhaps both?

Edited by Aurbere

'Twice as powerful' is a pretty bold statement.

However, I just rewatched the Luminara vs. Ventress duel, and they were pretty even (Luminara even pushed her back), despite Luminara being slightly visually impaired. The duel didn't end until their Force Pushes off-set each other and Ventress gained a tactical advantage.

So Force-wise, Shaak Ti is more powerful. But dueling skill would be a bit closer than you think.

Edit: Just pulled out my copy of the TFU novel. Seems Shaak Ti almost killed Starkiller, but it ended up being a 'kamikaze' attack. Though, I wonder, what version is canon? The game, or the novel? Perhaps both?

The novel is canon, in terms of how things went down. The novelizations of the games, are always canon. The only thing canon from the games, are the cutscenes.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Shaak Ti was known as one of the greatest duelist of the Jedi Order; Obi-Wan even said she had taught him a few moves. Now, Luminara's combat skills are nothing to sniff at either, but if I remember correctly, she was more of a Consular-type; a healer. She specialized more in that than in fighting, so if it came down to it Shaak Ti would probably win out. However if it's a Force battle, Luminara may have an advantage. Shaak Ti's Force powers are pretty slick, though, so honestly, I'm going to say Shaak Ti is the winner.

Shaak Ti was known as one of the greatest duelist of the Jedi Order; Obi-Wan even said she had taught him a few moves. Now, Luminara's combat skills are nothing to sniff at either, but if I remember correctly, she was more of a Consular-type; a healer. She specialized more in that than in fighting, so if it came down to it Shaak Ti would probably win out. However if it's a Force battle, Luminara may have an advantage. Shaak Ti's Force powers are pretty slick, though, so honestly, I'm going to say Shaak Ti is the winner.

She was trained as a Guardian, master of Form 3 and had some skill with Shien/Djem So. So its the other way around actually.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

With this battle taking place inside the Temple as well as on the grounds surrounding the building, Shaak Ti would win out in the end. With so many places to hide both Jedi could easily set up ambushes, both for Force powers and saber attacks. But as skilled in both areas as Unduli is there is something she cannot overcome...the echolocation sense of Ti's Montrals.

Using her natural "sonar" ability (like a bat) in conjunction with her Force awareness, Ti would have a much greater sense of where Unduli is hiding and where she would be attacking from. Add in her ability to literally sneak up on her enemies and Unduli would be spending more time on the defensive.

Also take into consideration that these two know each other fairly well. Ti might just play to Unduli's one true weeakness...her overconfidence. Being one of the most cunning Masters in the Order, Ti could cause Unduli to bbecome overconfident by feigning an injury or something, thus forcing a mistake and opening the Mirialan Master up to a brutal attack from the Togruta.

Should the fight wind up outside Ti could then manipulate the plants in the gardens to attack. The most this would do is annoy Unduli, but it would provide a distraction, allowing Ti to gain the upper hand. Now it is poosible that Unduli would not even notice the plants trying to annoy her and keep after Ti. I don't see Shaak Ti being locked in a straight up saber duel. She will constantly be on the move and use the environment to her advantage as she has much better environmental awareness. That is what I believe the fight will boil down to...who can use the environment to their advantage better.

Winner: Shaak Ti.

Edited by Kilikaa

With this battle taking place inside the Temple as well as on the grounds surrounding the building, Shaak Ti would win out in the end. With so many places to hide both Jedi could easily set up ambushes, both for Force powers and saber attacks. But as skilled in both areas as Unduli is there is something she cannot overcome...the echolocation sense of Ti's Montrals.

Using her natural "sonar" ability (like a bat) in conjunction with her Force awareness, Ti would have a much greater sense of where Unduli is hiding and where she would be attacking from. Add in her ability to literally sneak up on her enemies and Unduli would be spending more time on the defensive.

Also take into consideration that these two know each other fairly well. Ti might just play to Unduli's one true weeakness...her overconfidence. Being one of the most cunning Masters in the Order, Ti could cause Unduli to bbecome overconfident by feigning an injury or something, thus forcing a mistake and opening the Mirialan Master up to a brutal attack from the Togruta.

Should the fight wind up outside Ti could then manipulate the plants in the gardens to attack. The most this would do is annoy Unduli, but it would provide a distraction, allowing Ti to gain the upper hand. Now it is poosible that Unduli would not even notice the plants trying to annoy her and keep after Ti. I don't see Shaak Ti being locked in a straight up saber duel. She will constantly be on the move and use the environment to her advantage as she has much better environmental awareness. That is what I believe the fight will boil down to...who can use the environment to their advantage better.

Winner: Shaak Ti.

That's a good point about the environment, Killikaa. However, Luminara is no stranger to that type of battle. As we see in the Temple Raid on Ilum*, Luminara can use the advantage fairly well. Obviously Shaak Ti's cranial horns give her a great advantage, but Luminara can make up for it.

*Provided the old Clone Wars is still canon. I don't see why not, though. Wookieepedia still considers it canon, so it's better than nothing, I guess.

I don't see so much eveness as most people here. Putting on the table everything about the two, plus the battleground, I think Ti would win. Surely a fierce duel, but I can't see Luminara winning this.

In a cold analysis, I see a near equality betwen them in almost everything. But after a long duel, Shaak Ti would have the psychological advantage, as she is much more patient, not like a proud and self-confident Luminara.

And with such equivalency, I have to put on the table what I saw from them in canon duels. As Luminara Unduli was pushed back and almost killed in a fight with Asajj Ventress, Shaak Ti was able to hold Galen Marek, a much more powerful opponent than the Dark Accolyte.

Edited by marcelo_sdk

That's a good point about the environment, Killikaa. However, Luminara is no stranger to that type of battle. As we see in the Temple Raid on Ilum*, Luminara can use the advantage fairly well. Obviously Shaak Ti's cranial horns give her a great advantage, but Luminara can make up for it.

*Provided the old Clone Wars is still canon. I don't see why not, though. Wookieepedia still considers it canon, so it's better than nothing, I guess.

The old Samurai Jack style Clone Wars is no longer canon. The new show saw to that. I know where you are coming from, but sadly that info is no longer relevant. I almost took that into account before remembering that the old show was overridden by the new. Gotta love the retconn.

The old Samurai Jack style Clone Wars is no longer canon. The new show saw to that. I know where you are coming from, but sadly that info is no longer relevant. I almost took that into account before remembering that the old show was overridden by the new. Gotta love the retconn.

You sound like thats a bad thing, while it was nice it had little to no depth to it at all, it was just a bunch of fighting for the most part. I liked it but I mean...there wasn't any substance to it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

That's unfortunate. Though, I wonder, why does wookieepedia still consider some elements canon? Meh, whatever.

Now that I read all posts, this duel, unlike the last, probavly will have a quick definiton.

Most likely, but this does provide a good break for the next one. I have a feeling our next match-up will be nearly as long as Plagueis vs. Vitiate.

It was a bold statement. :D However she is more powerful nonetheless. I mean she nearly defeated Starkiller, which is pretty impressive. I highly doubt Unduli would have performed as well.

You're probably right. At the time of the Ventress/Luminara duel, I would say that Shaak Ti is quite superior to Ventress. However, when we get to a later point in the war, I think it would be a pretty close match. Just as Plo Koon defeated her on Khorm early in the war, later on (with both in fighting condition) it would be closer.

That being said, I should have pulled out my TFU novel before writing this. I probably would have done a different match. Perhaps I relied on Luminara's speed and agility? Eh, whatever. We'll see if anyone comes in support of Luminara. If not, then we have our first unanimous decision (because I think Shaak Ti would win :))

I'm not aware of any official statement, and Wookieepedia still considers it canon so *shrug* I think the events at least still are. Of course exaggerated numbers, abilities etc. should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt, or a truck load...

I'm not aware of any official statement, and Wookieepedia still considers it canon so *shrug* I think the events at least still are. Of course exaggerated numbers, abilities etc. should definitely be taken with a pinch of salt, or a truck load...

the sad thing is since the movies are still the highest lvl of cannon i actually have more of a problem with the newer series being cannon then the older series for several reasons

1. ahsoka ..... where is she in episode 3 if she was so important to anakin and obi why was she never mentioned.

2. darth maul still being alive..... windu said specifically at the end of episode one that he was destroyed not to mention from the way the movie was shot he was dead from shock before he hit the ground you dont go into shock and get no immediate medical attention and survive. the fact that windu said he was destroyed and that there was no doubt he was a sith implies that they actually went and examined his body thus any incarnation of him being alive after episode 1 is in direct conflict with the events of episode 1 no matter what contrived plot device (aside from cloning) they come up with.

3. Every thing that happened in the original clone wars especially towards the end left off imidiately where episode 3 takes place including the claim that GG was trained by dooku the kid napping of palp, the fact that obi and ani were away when they got the call to return and it even explains how GG got damadged to be coughing the entirety of episode 3.

so pretty much with the new series being canceled with WAAAAAY to many unawnsered questions as to what happened to prominent characters and why they never appeared in the movies or were even mentioned. along with its straight GAPEING plot holes that straight contradict the actual movies its hard for me to actually look at it as cannon sure its a good show, but i seriously have to forget it has anything to do with the movies if i want to watch it.

oh and forgot to mention 1 more thing on maul..... he was palp's apprentice if he survived there would have been no reason for him to move on to dooku with out first killing maul it makes no sense for him to immidiatly choose a new apprentice if he already has one.

Wookieepedia consider the new CW series canon, but if something that happened on the cartoon show doesn't conflict with CW, they still consider it canon.

Like Empire at War, most of the game conflicts with the canon, but Palpatine's purge on Bothawi is considered canon cause it doesn't conflict with any canon story.

Edited by marcelo_sdk

Couple things:

Not unanimous, I vote Unduli :p

Tcw (2003) - Considered Canon as long as there are no conflictions with the films or the new series....

And saying she NEARLY beat Galen is not fair, she had been studying on felucia, (pretty much training the entire time to protect herself from vader) for a good 20-30 years (I'm guessing). If Unduli wasn't killed healing the clones, I wouldn't say it's beyond her to have gotten that far too.....

But yes, she was a healer too, she was a Jedi healer alongside being a practitioner of the 3rd form....

Y'know, I think I'm gonna have to resort to the fact that in the tcw game she's referred to as a better duelist than Ti :p (*Holds up hands* yes, I played it for a little bit to see if it was any good..... It wasn't)

, she had been studying on felucia, (pretty much training the entire time to protect herself from vader) for a good 20-30 years (I'm guessing).

Actually she'd been there maybe...17, maximum? Still, you have a good point, but TCW comics show how great a warrior Ti actually is.

Actually she'd been there maybe...17, maximum? Still, you have a good point, but TCW comics show how great a warrior Ti actually is.

Meh, it was a guess, but I must ask.... Where are you getting this from? I mean, I'm no aubere (Beni :D) but 17 minimum for me, judging by the fact that star killer was found a couple years after the Jedi purge if I'm not mistaken...

Edited by Selenial

Meh, it was a guess, but I must ask.... Where are you getting this from? I mean, I'm no aubere (Beni :D) but 17 minimum for me, judging by the fact that star killer was found a couple years after the Jedi purge if I'm not mistaken...

Shaak Ti died in 3BBY. That was 16 years after Order 66 was issued.

Edited by Kilikaa