Fixing SWTOR PvP (Queues and things)

HanSollo

*THIS IS NOT ABOUT PREMADES. ITS ABOUT ALLOWING NEWLY LEVELED 70s AND RETURNING PLAYERS A CHANCE AT GEARING UP A BIT AND CREATING A PLACE WHERE CASUALS CAN ENJOY THE GAME*

Currently there is a bit of a problem with the system as is. You have 4 man premades queing in full tier 4 gear being put in the same matchs as fresh 70s that either have very little practice, are out of practice, or no practice at all.

This creates a situation where returning players get dumped into a WZ at an extreme disadvantage and can quickly find themselves getting facerolled and losing every match which isn't fun.

So, how do we solve this problem (and it is a problem)?

Well instead of having two queues you have three. A regular "for fun" queue which would facilitate casual players to just have fun, and new 70s to gear up a bit before practice "seriously not serious" queue where the competitive players can go to finish gearing and people who are competitive, but don't want to do ranked can expect their teammates to perform fairly well and play more to the objectives, which leads to the ranked queue where people would be very serious about winning and be min maxing everything.

To do this some changes would have to be made.

1.) A minimal limit needs to be placed for each queue

2.) A maximul limit on each queue

3.) Remove bolster

4.) Add (sort of) unique gear for PvP

For the limits I propose average gear item levels. This would create gear item ranges from say 230-240 and 238-246 and 244-248. This would serve two functions. First it gives meaning to duplicate items. Which seems to be a sticking point for some. Second it gives meaning to the gear for PvP. Right now with bolster in place at 242 getting gear is really pointless which can be frustrating for people that want to see some sort of progression when they get a noticeable amount of gear.

The final piece of the puzzle is the difference in gear. Simply change the set bonus from 6 to 7 and remove the set bonus and replace it with an extra utility point based on the tier. So tier 1 gets a bonus skillful utility point, tier 2 master, tier 3 Heroic, and 4 Legendary. Let me be clear you would only ever have a single bonus point, not 1 of each.

Thats it, so tell me how stupid this idea is.

Edited by HanSollo

Currently there is a bit of a problem with the system as is. You have 4 man premades queing in full tier 4 gear being put in the same matchs as fresh 70s that either have very little practice, are out of practice, or no practice at all.

This creates a situation where returning players get dumped into a WZ at an extreme disadvantage and can quickly find themselves getting facerolled and losing every match which isn't fun.

So, how do we solve this problem (and it is a problem)?

Well instead of having two queues you have three. A regular "for fun" queue which would facilitate casual players to just have fun, and new 70s to gear up a bit before practice "seriously not serious" queue where the competitive players can go to finish gearing and people who are competitive, but don't want to do ranked can expect their teammates to perform fairly well and play more to the objectives, which leads to the ranked queue where people would be very serious about winning and be min maxing everything.

To do this some changes would have to be made.

3.) Remove bolster

For the limits I propose average gear item levels. This would create gear item ranges from say 230-240 and 238-246 and 244-248. This would serve two functions. First it gives meaning to duplicate items. Which seems to be a sticking point for some. Second it gives meaning to the gear for PvP. Right now with bolster in place at 242 getting gear is really pointless which can be frustrating for people that want to see some sort of progression when they get a noticeable amount of gear.

The final piece of the puzzle is the difference in gear. Simply change the set bonus from 6 to 7 and remove the set bonus and replace it with an extra utility point based on the tier. So tier 1 gets a bonus skillful utility point, tier 2 master, tier 3 Heroic, and 4 Legendary. Let me be clear you would only ever have a single bonus point, not 1 of each.

Thats it, so tell me how stupid this idea is.

Your idea is stupid. It will increase the queue time drastically because your system proposes different queues, and swtor already has problems with long queues on most of the servers. Secondly, you cant hide ungeared/skilled players from geared/skilled. This is stupid and will lead to segregation of players. Thirdly, welcome to mmo where guilds, premades and other forms of co-operation is something common and normal rather than something which must dealt with ( destroyed). Every mmo has premades, if you hate them - go play single-player games.

Pointless debate. Nothing will change.

I detest try-hard premades with the fire of a thousand suns, but absolutely nothing is ever going to change, so you are better of doing one of the following:

• Fine a nice corner and wait out the match and collect 3 easy UCs
  • Quit the match and fine a better one
  • Make a premade of your own
  • Play solo ranked

I detest try-hard premades with the fire of a thousand suns, but absolutely nothing is ever going to change, so you are better of doing one of the following:

• Play solo ranked

your first option is worse than any premade ever thought of being. also, find* :rak_03:

m a t c h m a k i n g

a

t

c

h

m

a

k

i

n

g

1) no more than 2 tanks or healers per team (1 for arenas)

2) split tanks and healers between each team as evenly as the queue allows for

3) enjoy far from perfect but noticeably less cancerous pvp

Edited by yellow_

Because the worst thing you can do in an mmo is que up for pvp with your friends.

The second worst thing you can do is make friends who pvp, and then decide to que together because you're sick of all the afkers and crappy players who try and ruin your pvp. Having at least half the team as decent and motivated to win players unbalances the game.

The third worst thing you can do is be decent at pvp. You should only be as good as a fresh 70, otherwise you'll ruin the experience for new players. You should also not know how objectives on each map work, otherwise your team might end up with more points and that's not fair to new players either.

I agree with everything the OP stated, and I'll raise him a few. We need 12 separate level 70 ques, and divide the playerbase on pvp skills, social aptitude, and gear. For example, if your gear is bad, but you kind of know your class, you can be in que "D". If you somehow got gear through mindless grinding and afk but don't know your class, you can be in que "B". A easy system like that will put everyone in the group where they belong. If you have gear, friends, skills, knowledge, and want to win a warzone, you can be put in the "L" que with all the other try hard losers. If you enjoy the afk pvp lifestyle, you can be in the "A" bracket, so you can enjoy your Netflix and pvp with no disadvantages.

Instead of UC they should give out smiley face emotes. You can earn 9 smiley face emotes for every warzone you participate in. If you happen to accidently win, you've earned 10 whole smiley faces instead of 9.

Please DM Eric Musco seven to ten times per day with these great ideas. We can fix pvp in SWTOR, and make it inclusive to the point where no effort, skills, friends, intellect, or keyboard is required to do well.

Edited by Severith

• Play solo ranked

Because solo ranked doesn't have premades?

i think ive become cynical as im not sure if this is serious or troll, but ill assume serious for now.

3.) Remove bolster

Regarding 1-2 We dont have the player base to impose thse kids of limits. If it were implemented queue times would likely go up and then people would complain about that.

The whole idea of Bolster is to somewhat level the playing field gear wise and it negates the need for 1 and 2.

PvP gear IMO should be cosmetic rewards, not a way to get gear. Considering we still get CXP same and PvE we are already getting gear rewards, just not with separate stats.

For me it comes down to what do we want them to worry about, PvP wise it starts and stops with balance realted issues over any of this.

m a t c h m a k i n g

a

t

c

h

m

a

k

i

n

g

This, 100% this. The last few days ive been in so many matches that were literally over before they began due to horrible match making. Win or lose these matches are to me not very fun.

Gear, skill, none of it really matters when one side has 3 healers and you have none, or a 4 man vs a trinity team when you have neither a tank/skank or healer. One side has premades the other is just randoms.

This is really the only thing in regards to limits that i would like to see thats possibly implementable with our current player base, is to ensure that the number of heals or guards is even.

Which by the way would also negate a lot of the premade arguments as well (no, not all, but most)

To me any PvPer worth 2 cents only wants a fair match so that skill wins out.

Because the worst thing you can do in an mmo is que up for pvp with your friends.

The second worst thing you can do is make friends who pvp, and then decide to que together because you're sick of all the afkers and crappy players who try and ruin your pvp. Having at least half the team as decent and motivated to win players unbalances the game.

The third worst thing you can do is be decent at pvp. You should only be as good as a fresh 70, otherwise you'll ruin the experience for new players. You should also not know how objectives on each map work, otherwise your team might end up with more points and that's not fair to new players either.

I agree with everything the OP stated, and I'll raise him a few. We need 12 separate level 70 ques, and divide the playerbase on pvp skills, social aptitude, and gear. For example, if your gear is bad, but you kind of know your class, you can be in que "D". If you somehow got gear through mindless grinding and afk but don't know your class, you can be in que "B". A easy system like that will put everyone in the group where they belong. If you have gear, friends, skills, knowledge, and want to win a warzone, you can be put in the "L" que with all the other try hard losers. If you enjoy the afk pvp lifestyle, you can be in the "A" bracket, so you can enjoy your Netflix and pvp with no disadvantages.

Instead of UC they should give out smiley face emotes. You can earn 9 smiley face emotes for every warzone you participate in. If you happen to accidently win, you've earned 10 whole smiley faces instead of 9.

Please DM Eric Musco seven to ten times per day with these great ideas. We can fix pvp in SWTOR, and make it inclusive to the point where no effort, skills, friends, intellect, or keyboard is required to do well.

Dont forget that they must create separate pvp forums for each of the group where players can whine on their unlucky games (especially afk group) and cry about how bad is pvp in swtor

Edited by omaan

m a t c h m a k i n g

a

t

c

h

m

a

k

i

n

g

This, but 2-3 years ago.

We'll see after the merge if any servers have enough population, at this point that would effectively split the queue.

Wintraders and queue syncers sure. Actual premades? No of course not which you knew perfectly well. I am too old and too tired for any shenanigans today.

Since premades stack the solo queue all the time, I feel like you must have some special definition for "Actual Premades"?

This, but 2-3 years ago.

We'll see after the merge if any servers have enough population, at this point that would effectively split the queue.

I'm not sure what you think I'm suggesting but it doesn't involve splitting any queues.

Just a couple very basic soft matchmaking rules to make 2 types of dead-on-arrival games much less common than they are now - the ones where one team's got support roles and the other doesn't, and games where both teams have too many support roles.

If bioware is really that scared about queue times they should just write in a threshold for the matchmaker to give up after a certain amount of time or if there are fewer than a certain number of people pvping.

Edited by yellow_

I'm not sure what you think I'm suggesting but it doesn't involve splitting any queues.

Just a couple very basic soft matchmaking rules to make 2 types of dead-on-arrival games much less common than they are now - the ones where one team's got support roles and the other doesn't, and games where both teams have too many support roles.

If bioware is really that scared about queue times they should just have write in a threshold for the matchmaker to give up after a certain amount of time or if there are fewer than a certain number of people pvping.

So if there are 2 tanks and 1 healer in the queue, plus enough DPS to make teams, does the system:

1. Wait for another healer

2. Go with what there is so that one team has no healer

3. Make teams with the tanks and DPS and leave the healer out

The code will have to deal with this question. My point was that if it is #1 that would slow the queue and if it was the others that either defeats matchmaking or screws over certain classes.

Edited by Foambreaker

So if there are 2 tanks and 1 healer in the queue, plus enough DPS to make teams, does the system:

1. Wait for another healer

2. Go with what there is so that one team has no healer

3. Make teams with the tanks and DPS and leave the healer out

The code will have to deal with this question. My point was that if it is #1 that would slow the queue and if it was the others that either defeats matchmaking or screws over certain classes.

#1 is not what I have in mind, the reg queue should not be waiting unless there aren't enough dps

#2 and #3 do not defeat the purpose of matchmaking - both of those options are still clearly better than what we have now. what we have now is the only system that could end up putting both tanks AND the healer on the same team. I am not suggesting perfect matchmaking, only a system that is better than what we have now - which is absolutely nothing at all.

and for the sake of science, the team that is -1 in healers should be +1 in tanks if possible