New Star Wars movie every summer starting 2015

TheBBP

Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm announced today at CinemaCon in Las Vegas that Star Wars: Episode VII will hit theaters in the summer of 2015 and that every summer after that will offer a "Star Wars" film, alternating with one of the standalone films.

LINK

Edited by TheBBP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what are they saying here? That we'll receive the following:

Summer 2015: Episode VII

Summer 2016: Spin-off

Summer 2017: Episode VIII

Summer 2018: Spin-off

Summer 2019: Episode IX

No more movies for several decades.

That would be acceptable, although I'm at little hesitant to supportive of Disney churning out Star Wars at such a rapid rate, what will this mean for the quality of the franchise? And will it become increasingly commercialized like Marvel? I was initially elated at the prospect of Disney buying Star Wars, but the doubts are creeping in...

...Ah, who cares - in two years time I'll be seeing Episode VII for my birthday! :D

EDIT: Uber-sceptic perspective: Milk the franchise for all its worth, you suck Disney.

Edited by Beniboybling

well lets see, cartoons and alternate universes for all characters. Jedi academy version of super hero squad. Live action teen angst drama with jedi. Seriously do none of you guys have children? My tv is on disney channel all the time and the ammount of marvel drivel flowing out is sick. If you think star wars is going to be in any different position 5 years from now your dreaming.

well lets see, cartoons and alternate universes for all characters. Jedi academy version of super hero squad. Live action teen angst drama with jedi. Seriously do none of you guys have children? My tv is on disney channel all the time and the ammount of marvel drivel flowing out is sick. If you think star wars is going to be in any different position 5 years from now your dreaming.

So what? You don't have to watch that crap. I've never watched the Marvel cartoons. I've also never read a Star Wars book or a Star Wars comic. I'm only interested in the films.

So far Marvel Studios have released;

Iron Man (2008)

The Incredible Hulk

Iron Man 2

Thor

Captain America

The Avengers (2012)

6 movies in 4 years ans only one of them (Hulk) was so so. The rest were hugely entertaining and commercially successful. Clearly Disney is more than capable of presiding over a franchise, churning out quality entertainment on a regular basis.

A big part of this success has been Marvel/Disney's refusal to skimp on the quality if the talent. Look at the directors, writers and actors involved in the Marvel movies. They are clearly trying to replicate this by hiring JJ Abrams to direct the first film. This is a director with a proven track record of making successful genre movies.

I'd say Disney know exactly what they are doing and I'm looking forward to the results.

OK so I sort of made that bit up but I'd assume that after the Sequel Trilogy is done Disney will at least take a breather. At least I hope so, otherwise this franchise is going to run dry real real fast.

Five years after that they will do a second trilogy.

Star Wars Episode VI was published in 1983. Star Wars Episode I was published in 1999. That is exactly 16 years, a little over 1.5 decades. Star Wars Episode VII is slated for release in 2015 that is exactly 10 years after Star Wars Episode III.

By all accounts, the regular span between Trilogies is approximately 1 to 1.5 decades. That is not SEVERAL Decades, that is at best a COUPLE of decades. And even that is stretching the definition.

They stated it themselves.
I'm pretty sure a fourth trilogy has not been confirmed.

EDIT: Managed to find a single rumor circulating around the web that a there will be fourth trilogy revolving around Darth Vader between ROTS and ANH - but is a rumor, and a pretty flimsy one.

Edited by Beniboybling

I'm pretty sure a fourth trilogy has not been confirmed.

EDIT: Managed to find a single rumor circulating around the web that a there will be fourth trilogy revolving around Darth Vader between ROTS and ANH - but is a rumor, and a pretty flimsy one.

IIRC in their very first statement of the big announcement they said there would be another trilogy every five years.

Oh NOW people are catching on to the reality of the situation. Hah.

As a person who thinks the Marvel movies are mediocre distractions at best (and downright terrible at times, actually quite often) I've been worried since day one. They aren't laughably bad like the SW PT, mostly because the source materiel is inherently corny so the movies are only rightfully so unlike SW, but just barely.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

Leave it to Disney to rape, damage, then whore out Star Wars.

Not really, Disney is a company that does take care of the brands it buys and uses the resources to make quality stuff, I doubt your judgement

Ep VII, VIII and IX will be awesome, possibly what every star wars fan is looking for.

Edited by ZahirS

Leave it to Disney to rape, damage, then whore out Star Wars.

If by "damage" you mean, "make it more popular than ever and open it up to an audience far wider than its core fanbase, like they did with Marvel", then yes.

Oh NOW people are catching on to the reality of the situation. Hah.

As a person who thinks the Marvel movies are mediocre distractions at best (and downright terrible at times, actually quite often) I've been worried since day one. They aren't laughably bad like the SW PT, mostly because the source materiel is inherently corny so the movies are only rightfully so unlike SW, but just barely.

I think you're very much in the minority there. The Avengers is the third highest grossing film of all time. Somebody clearly liked it.

You can't do something like that in quality if u don't spend a couple of years preparing, like Peter Jackson did before he started doing LotR. So I don't like it. It's possible it will be only brainless blockbusters and not real SW movies.

You can't do something like that in quality if u don't spend a couple of years preparing, like Peter Jackson did before he started doing LotR. So I don't like it. It's possible it will be only brainless blockbusters and not real SW movies.

You are assuming that there has been no planning. I personally think that is a foolish assumption. I think that this next trilogy has been in the works, one way or another, for quite a while and would have happened with or without Disney.

You are assuming that there has been no planning. I personally think that is a foolish assumption. I think that this next trilogy has been in the works, one way or another, for quite a while and would have happened with or without Disney.

That's ok, I just hope comparing to marvel movies in this thread is going be proved wrong, since I find very few of them interesting in any way.

I think you're very much in the minority there. The Avengers is the third highest grossing film of all time. Somebody clearly liked it.

Lol you must be one of those "fans" of the marvel movie, but never picked up a single marvel comic in your life lol.

Lol you must be one of those "fans" of the marvel movie, but never picked up a single marvel comic in your life lol.

You are absolutely correct. I am also one of those people who thinks that movies and comics and novels are all separate media. You cannot judge one by the standards of the other.

Was the Avengers movie a good adaptation of the comics? I don't know and I don't care. was it a good movie in its own right? You bet your bottom it was!

By the same token, I have never read a Star wars comic. I have never read a Star Wars book. I'm just not interested. Movies are my thing. I love film. All kinds of films. Under Disney's ownership, Marvel Studios has made some very successful films that I would rate from quite good to blinking fabulous. Couple that kind of working with JJ Abrams directing and I am excited fro what Episode 7 might be.

Was the Avengers movie a good adaptation of the comics? I don't know and I don't care. was it a good movie in its own right? You bet your bottom it was!
I'm afraid I'd disagree. I was not impressed with the Avengers movies.

Good acting: Yes

Good visuals: Yes

Good story: Hell no.

The story of the Avengers was really substandard, I was expecting something different and exciting. Marvel and Disney had an opportunity to do something new, they had brought together heroes from all over the comics. But what do they end up doing? The same old same old. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high-tech device then use it to take over the planet, in this case Marvel looked through the book of cliche tropes and chose 'big portal over city'. What ensued was a typical 'epic' battle in said city in which the aliens were routed and happy days for the heroes.

Evidence that its entirely unoriginal? Transformers 3, the storyline is the same. They used the same story as Micheal Bay. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high tech device which they use to open up a big portal over a city and invade the planet. Heroes come to stop them, aliens are routed and sent packing. At least Transformers made it a little more original with the whole betrayal and the fact that the heroes were fighting their own kind.

So yes, altogether I was underwhelmed by the Avengers and hope that Star Wars is of far better quality.

P.S. And for the record, Iron Man 2 is the worst film I have ever seen.

I'm afraid I'd disagree. I was not impressed with the Avengers movies.

Good acting: Yes

Good visuals: Yes

Good story: Hell no.

The story of the Avengers was really substandard, I was expecting something different and exciting. Marvel and Disney had an opportunity to do something new, they had brought together heroes from all over the comics. But what do they end up doing? The same old same old. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high-tech device then use it to take over the planet, in this case Marvel looked through the book of cliche tropes and chose 'big portal over city'. What ensued was a typical 'epic' battle in said city in which the aliens were routed and happy days for the heroes.

Evidence that its entirely unoriginal? Transformers 3, the storyline is the same. They used the same story as Micheal Bay. Aliens come to Earth seeking a high tech device which they use to open up a big portal over a city and invade the planet. Heroes come to stop them, aliens are routed and sent packing. At least Transformers made it a little more original with the whole betrayal and the fact that the heroes were fighting their own kind.

So yes, altogether I was underwhelmed by the Avengers and hope that Star Wars is of far better quality.

P.S. And for the record, Iron Man 2 is the worst film I have ever seen.

If you think Transformers is better than The Avengers then I'd seriously question your judgement. Yes, it's true that the plot of the Avengers is not original, but was that the point of the movie?

The Avengers is really a character piece. Classic ensemble cast stuff. Beyond the plot and action, what makes the story interesting is the characters, the way they interact and riff of off each other.

It that regard, I'd say Avengers has a lot in common with Star Wars. A New Hope's plot is hardly what I would call original. What makes A New Hope a seriously good film in my book, is the characters.

Seriously dude, if Iron Man 2 is the worst film you have ever seen then either you have not seen many films, you have only ever watched absolute classic or you are some Marvel fanboy who is sulking cos they didn't do Iron Man the way you would have done it.

Worse film you have ever seen? Really? That's just laughable.

If you think Transformers is better than The Avengers then I'd seriously question your judgement. Yes, it's true that the plot of the Avengers is not original, but was that the point of the movie?

The Avengers is really a character piece. Classic ensemble cast stuff. Beyond the plot and action, what makes the story interesting is the characters, the way they interact and riff of off each other.

It that regard, I'd say Avengers has a lot in common with Star Wars. A New Hope's plot is hardly what I would call original. What makes A New Hope a seriously good film in my book, is the characters.

Seriously dude, if Iron Man 2 is the worst film you have ever seen then either you have not seen many films, you have only ever watched absolute classic or you are some Marvel fanboy who is sulking cos they didn't do Iron Man the way you would have done it.

Worse film you have ever seen? Really? That's just laughable.

Its his opinion, let him have it. Just like pretty much everything else, with movies.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi