Revenge of the Archon: too hard?

Mandalin

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically you are getting repeatedly one shotted by the giant red noob laser that you can see coming a mile away. Im kinda happy this laser exists because it basically screams "you suck!!!" when it fires. lol

It amuses me when people assume the one-shot ability is the problem with people who can't get it done. I failed it with my sniper for hours and 20+ times, and I got hit by the one-shot lazer exactly 0 times.

It amuses me when people assume the one-shot ability is the problem with people who can't get it done. I failed it with my sniper for hours and 20+ times, and I got hit by the one-shot lazer exactly 0 times.

wow 20+ times? just lolololol

protip: when you see those red circles appear where you are currently standing I highly recommend moving.

wow 20+ times? just lolololol

protip: when you see those red circles appear where you are currently standing I highly recommend moving.

As I wrote a little upper (I don't think you bothered to read it), I had a problem with my sniper not being fast enough to move out quickly enough if I was casting in cover and had the roll on cd. Slow reflexes, maybe. Ended up using as little cover as possible to avoid this problem.

Any useful advice? :)

It's a problem because you have to kill the adds even when your orbital strike is on cd. I personally just wasn't fast enough to run away from the circles if one dropped when I was on cover, casting. Might be that I have slow reflexes then or something, but I just couldn't do it. So, in order to not to get hit by the aoe, I ended up killing the adds with instants that I can use out of cover and only take the risk for using cover when I had roll off cd and was going to dps archon.

I'd really like to know why I just couldn't do this with my sniper, but I easily one-shotted it with my assassin tank without ever dropping below 80% of my hp. I'm usually not that bad with my sniper.

Covered Escape gets you out of that mess real quick.

Covered Escape gets you out of that mess real quick.

The "roll" I referred to was covered escape. However, there were times when the roll was either on cd from the last aoe or something similiar. Ability delay was also problematic, it seemed that if the roll didn't activate instantly when I pressed it, it just wasn't fast enough.

As I wrote a little upper (I don't think you bothered to read it), I had a problem with my sniper not being fast enough to move out quickly enough if I was casting in cover and had the roll on cd. Slow reflexes, maybe. Ended up using as little cover as possible to avoid this problem.

Any useful advice? :)

There's quite a bit of useful advice in this thread (some of it from me) but it tends to be rather spread out.

For a sniper I'd use a healing companion or if you're going to use a tank companion then you need to be level 55 with at least Tionese on yourself and at least levle 49 purples on your comp.

Use the Exfiltrate whenever you're in LoS of the laser. As for when he's about to use it - 65 stacks of buff. If he hits 61+ stacks then always assume he's going to get it off and Exfiltrate out of LoS at least 1.5 seconds before he fires since Makeb has weird lag spikes.

P.S: The channeled ability says "I'm firing ma lazor!" :eek: It is by far the funniest easter egg in-game imo.:D

Edited by AshlaBoga
Emoticon

There's quite a bit of useful advice in this thread (some of it from me) but it tends to be rather spread out.

For a sniper I'd use a healing companion or if you're going to use a tank companion then you need to be level 55 with at least Tionese on yourself and at least levle 49 purples on your comp.

Use the Exfiltrate whenever you're in LoS of the laser. As for when he's about to use it - 65 stacks of buff. If he hits 61+ stacks then always assume he's going to get it off and Exfiltrate out of LoS at least 1.5 seconds before he fires since Makeb has weird lag spikes.

P.S: The channeled ability says "I'm firing ma lazor!" :eek: It is by far the funniest easter egg in-game imo.:D

I've read this thread probably since the page 1 and most of the stuff is things I've done all along. I assume you used the tactic to ignore the adds? Personally I tried to kill them to prevent them from fueling Archon, worked on my assassin. Maybe that doesn't suite a sniper, then.

Anyway, my Kaliyo was my geared companion with maybe 18k hp, can't really remember the exact number anymore but something like that. I was on pvp gear, which got converted into campaing gear I believe. With Kaliyo, I kept alive ok as long as Kaliyo kept alive, but the battle was long and eventually, Kaliyo died and I died soon after it. Changed to Lokin at some point, but that one isn't geared at all and really couldn't keep me up when Archon was firing me with his basic attacks.

And yeah, those lag spikes/ability delay/whatever caused my roll to activate late were 1 of the 2 reasons I caught a couple of aoe here and there. Ended up to not use cover while killing the adds just to make sure I wasn't caught in it, which of course lowered my dps badly.

• 2 weeks later...
No, it does not need to be nerf'ed, it's called, just stop being a baddie by eating the freekin' lazor beam.

Funny thing is I've been hit by that red beam twice now while standing behind him...only to be teleported to the front AFTER I died. And whoever said you can just throw isotope fuel rods at the generator thing: there's nothing to click, granted he throws you up front and slows you in the tiny window you supposedly have to get to it so in any case it's useless information.

This needs a nerf, There are plenty of content for "L337 playzors" who thinks this bugged piece of crap is easy...

And yes, I am adequately familiar with my class (Sniper), the whole "L2P" crap comments should just earn people a warning for trolling considering it serves no constructive purpose what so ever.

Edited by Nizzemancer

The biggest problem with Snipers on this is their complete lack of self heals.

I did it on my Madness Sorc, and it was easy even after my companion died. I was able to LoS the bad guy, heal up, wait for Force to regen and go back in.

With the Sniper, you have to have a healing companion and you have to micro manage them to keep them alive. You have to use every ability to have just to survive.

I would like to point out that the republic end boss for Makeb is a tank N Spank. There is absolutely NOTHING special about him at all. It so unbalanced.

Very true. The Republic version of this becomes a cake walk as soon as you realize that all you have to do is get up on the boss and move behind him when he powers up his one-shot laser.

The Imp version is like a FP boss.

Did this solo at 53 4 x then went with 2 others last night. (2 level 55s and a 54) He was buggy. No laser shots..many yellow and red droids and it took us 10 freaking minutes after we all died once, to kill him. Fix plz. something ain't right now lol.

This is ridiculous.

Point one, maybe dont rush your leveling? You're supposed to be lvl55 with max rank skills, not lvl 53.

Second point, use your planetary commendations to improve your gear, or the crafting or the GTN. Dont be a slacker.

Third, take your healer companion.

Fourth, move out of red circles and kill the little droids asap.

Fifth, as soon as he connects to the wall battery destroy the battery and disable the connection.

??????

Profit!

Its quite easy, this ammount of fail needs to stop. Stop beeing lazy people.

Edited by Nemmar

Very true. The Republic version of this becomes a cake walk as soon as you realize that all you have to do is get up on the boss and move behind him when he powers up his one-shot laser.

The Imp version is like a FP boss.

Funny thing is I wiped the Republic version on my main knight and 1 shot the imp version on my pyro.

At the time I was much more annoyed with the Republic boss.

Yea it's less to figure out but it's also unforgiving till you do. 1 shot, here, enjoy your corpse run through all the flipping mobs.

On imp side you can have a coffee and a bagel while you're figuring stuff out. I'm really at a loss why this fight is perceived as problematic and I'm far from a 1337 play3r.

Edited by aeterno

Funny thing is I wiped the Republic version on my main knight and 1 shot the imp version on my pyro.

At the time I was much more annoyed with the Republic boss.

Yea it's less to figure out but it's also unforgiving till you do. 1 shot, here, enjoy your corpse run through all the flipping mobs.

On imp side you can have a coffee and a bagel while you're figuring stuff out. I'm really at a loss why this fight is perceived as problematic and I'm far from a 1337 play3r.

Try Imperial Agent / Sniper, half the time I get LOS-bugs and the other half tabbing is useless for targeting the refuling droids.

Heres an example of situations people might be in: my character is a marauder, i have NOT used Quinn EVER because i despise that companion so much, instead ive been doing well shifting between Vette, Jaesa, and HK-51, now in this bossfight, as a marauder you appearantly "need" a heal companion, but that should not be the case, you should be able to down this boss no matter which setup you use, else its not cool to label it as anything other than a heroic quest that needs more people.

Heres an example of situations people might be in: my character is a marauder, i have NOT used Quinn EVER because i despise that companion so much, instead ive been doing well shifting between Vette, Jaesa, and HK-51, now in this bossfight, as a marauder you appearantly "need" a heal companion, but that should not be the case, you should be able to down this boss no matter which setup you use, else its not cool to label it as anything other than a heroic quest that needs more people.

No no no, a thousand times no. This is exactly the problem. Not everything single player should be easily rollable with whatever setup you have at the time. Thats what leads to stagnant endgame and lack of content.

So you can't beat the guy, it takes, what, a few hours to do some dailys to get some cash to gear a healer in basic green gear? This is gamer laziness at its worst.

"I only play one day a week, and can't afford gear, so i'm using the starter vibrosword, but can't beat the boss...this game should adapt to me and my schedule and my playstyle".

NO.

This is not a 'major challenge'

They come out every so often. You learn to anticipate when they're coming out, and you can start moving before they drop under you.

Not for me, they come out in a constant stream, I'd one shot two of them and two more would show. You folks are either experiencing a different fight or are on crack.

I finished this on the first try with my PT but with my DPS Op, I kept dying (~4 times). I skimmed through this thread and I re-skilled to healing (I am not good with the Op in DPS or healing). I used Scorpio as my tank, used my aoe for the refueling droids (usually 3-4) and finally finished it. I stayed back down past the stairs and kept healing Scorpio while dropping aoe (orb strike and grenades) whenever I could. I hope this helps somebody.

well basically this proves that EA failed too hard again with this expansion. to say the least the fight is impossible for a dps class to solo. if u r saying that "i soloed it in 3 secs" bla bla thats a big lie. period. never been able to done it with any of my dps classes (sniper, merc and mara)

for a healer it should be relatively easy, especially for sorcerers. i just used my crushing darkness / affliction and hid behind a corner, avoiding missiles and stuff while andronikos slowly burnt him down. it worked well.

i did it on my first try as a tank and it was just too easy. i did it as a 54 jugg with quinn behind me. i rarely saw my health dropped to 80%. however the fight took over 10 mins :)

tactics are easy but due to internal server bugs, avoiding bombs are somewhat difficult. like moving out just in time but getting damage and knocked back by missiles anyway. the boss hits outrageously high. especially against dps classes. all those beta testing was for nothing apperantly :)

well basically this proves that EA failed too hard again with this expansion. to say the least the fight is impossible for a dps class to solo. if u r saying that "i soloed it in 3 secs" bla bla thats a big lie. period. never been able to done it with any of my dps classes (sniper, merc and mara)

for a healer it should be relatively easy, especially for sorcerers. i just used my crushing darkness / affliction and hid behind a corner, avoiding missiles and stuff while andronikos slowly burnt him down. it worked well.

i did it on my first try as a tank and it was just too easy. i did it as a 54 jugg with quinn behind me. i rarely saw my health dropped to 80%. however the fight took over 10 mins :)

tactics are easy but due to internal server bugs, avoiding bombs are somewhat difficult. like moving out just in time but getting damage and knocked back by missiles anyway. the boss hits outrageously high. especially against dps classes. all those beta testing was for nothing apperantly :)

Did it on my dps 1st try. All u have to do is put your healer on follow at the right times during the fight so he doesn't die. Also stop being a scrub, this whole game is easy mode minus TFB NiM

Edited by Toweleeeie

It's one of the trickier fights with story line bosses for sure, but I'm ok with that.

What I don't get is that the Republic side has a boss fight at the end that's 10 times easier. That's the real problem imo.

I've leveled a marks sniper, vengeance jugg (54-55 tank jugg), and an arsenal merc to 55 so far, all of them had a full set of Makeb/Rakata (58) mods. I've always leveled as dps/dps or dps with a tank comp. The last two shuttle areas i had to switch my vengeance jugg to tank spec with dps mods, and i geared up my healer in (66) premium mods. Dps/dps is fun, but you also have to be able to kill stuff fast before they kill you which i've never had a problem with. But some of the mobs towards the end of Makeb were pissing me off so i just switched to a healer comp. Suddenly everything because easy...too easy...it was so easy i was actually getting bored playing.

Anyways on the the Archon, who i managed to two shotted on my Jugg. But only because i wasnt paying attention the first time and i ate an eye beam in the bum. Next toon i leveled was a dps Merc, and i always level with Gault or Jorgan on my gunnery commando. I also said screw it and decided to just gear Mako up in healing gear and did all of Makeb with her and as predicted it was easy and boring. Archon was a really easy one shot cause i could dps in the clear area in front of him. Then my Sniper who i was running with Scorpio..also ended up just leveling with my healer and yet again it was easy and boring. I ended up two shotting Archon but mainly cause i was nubbing it up and fighting too close to him so the 4-6 holoemitters were messing up my cover causing me to autoroll everywhere. I figured i had to be close so i could disable the generators behind him. Second attempt on my Sniper i just fought in front of the stairs in front of him. I still got the pesky autoroll when i would go into cover, but i picked the area right in front of the stairs for a reason. In front of the stairs i would get autorolled right to the stairs. If i had to move to avoid rockets i just strafed and went back into cover, which would again autoroll me right to the stairs.

I'm almost level 53 and simply cannot get it done. Too often none of my abilities execute so I can't keep the refueling bots off the slug. Is this not a one-person mission?

I have completed this mission multiple times on toon with level 50 blue gear with 15,000 health, its extremely easy, kill adds, kill him, kill adds, kill him, ALWAYS killing adds imediately tho as the higher his stacks get the better his attacks get, killing adds asap makes the world of a differnce.

Also when he is casting :emergency refule ITS TIME TO KILL HIM

Edited by WillHolmes