Any LGBT guilds on Harbinger?

Malchan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To promote an ideology and exclusively reject those who disagree.

(The rejection is implied. Otherwise the significance of providing the guild a purpose/title, such as "a LGBT guild", would not be relevant since it would be inclusive to LGBT and non-LGBT members. Thus making it like every other guild)

It's cool though, I'm already well familiar with the double standard placed on "tolerance." Thus the reason for my previous question.

Actually no. I've played with many people from Taint on this server and back on WoW for many years, they're just a fun community that has all kinds of people in them (lots of *gasp* straight people). It's human nature to want to find people that are like them, especially when you're in a small minority. LGBT people tend to feel ostracized in a lot of places in society still, so the intent is to create a safe environment where they don't feel they have to hide who they are.

If you look around, you'll notice that there are also 45+ aged guilds, Christian guilds, RP guilds, Australian guilds. It's not an agenda, it's feeling at home. ;)

Edited by chuixupu

I understand what you're saying but I still don't see the point of said guilds. I mean, I understand why people make russian, hungarian, swedish, italian, choose-nationality guilds. What I don't understand is the point and idea of strictly LGBT guilds. They're just gimping themselves for the sake of no benefits at all. No logic baffles me.

It seems you didn't really read my post. They aren't gimping themselves because they aren't limiting themselves. Taint on Proudmoore in WoW is actually so enormous there are probably 10 separate connected guilds. They aren't all LGBT people in them, they're a well-known community that has all kinds of social events.

It's not neccessarily that the guild is 'LGBT only'. More that it's a safe place for those in the LGBT community. Which, unfortunately, is needed even in games as there are a lot of people who love nothing more then to harrass others about such things. It's nice to be able to talk about your outside of game life like everyone else without having to be careful that you don't mention that you are male and have a boyfriend, or that, really, you might -sound- female on teamspeak but are male. It's nice to know you won't get the boot from a guild for those things, which does actually happen.

But most of the LGBT guilds are not 'LGBT only' guilds. Easier to say, LGBT safe, as people who are straight, cis and non-jerks are typically welcome too.

Pretty sure they are more referring to -what- people are being harrassed for. Straight people don't usually get harrassed for being straight. Or end up beaten up or murdered over it. It's not really a common thing.

Then maybe I should start a christian guild? We get killed over being what we are right?

People should join these lgbt guilds because people get beaten up or murdered in real life? You serious bro?

You people are funny.

Edited by jankiel

Then maybe I should start a christian guild? We get killed over being what we are right?

People should join these lgbt guilds because people get beaten up or murdered in real life? You serious bro?

You people are funny.

The whole point of like minded guilds is to find and play with like minded people. Well to me that is what guilds are for, they are for people of like mind or like interest.

The whole point of like minded guilds is to find and play with like minded people. Well to me that is what guilds are for, they are for people of like mind or like interest.

So if it's not anything to do with real life murder and only like mindedness than a hetero guild would be good just for like mindedness right?

You people are funny.

There are lots of Christian guilds out there, actually!

And no, people don't join them for that reason, they join them because they're fun. Not sure why you have such a problem with it. Let people join whatever guild they want and enjoy the game.

It's not a matter not letting people join whatever guild they want. It's just sad that the LGBT screams for equality and to be accepted by society but then comes out and mentions "LGBT" guilds. Discrimination against race, gender, or preferences can never end as long as they keep making the note in peoples mind that they are different. So as long as they try and act like they need their own guilds instead of searching through the 100s that already exist with no jerks like everyone else does everyone else will keep the little "hey they are different" in their minds and just keep being mean to them!

It's ok to be different. We're never going to get to a point in society where we are all identical in every way. Treating each other with equality and respect despite our differences is what is important, not pretending that we're all the same.

In the case of creating guilds, we have a lot of options for a reason. Not all gay people actually want to be in a LGBT guild. Not all Christians want to be in a Christian guild. Not all older people want to be in a "mature" guild. But there's no point in getting upset over their existence. You will probably never see any of them in game.

There are lots of Christian guilds out there, actually!

And no, people don't join them for that reason, they join them because they're fun. Not sure why you have such a problem with it. Let people join whatever guild they want and enjoy the game.

Oh I have no problem, people do and will as they want. Im pretty liberal in life. Was just interested why some guilds focus over LGBT. National guilds on Europan servers are kind of understandable. Guilds focused around sexual preferences? Thats sort of odd for me.

Each to his own. I think.

It's more about having spaces that are inherently queer friendly. Not everyone has, nor should be expected to, the mental fortitude to go through scores of guilds to find the one where they won't be subjected to harassment, homophobic language, or just general crappy attitudes. That's why a lot of guilds describe themselves as "friendly", it means that you should be less likely to encounter general arse-hattery in those places, however that doesn't necessarily mean that those places are queer friendly, or will support queer interests in the face of "but he wasn't being mean/homophobic at you".

(Before you bring up "but why aren't there 'women only guilds'?" that's whole different kettle of fish.)

on WoW i saw a woman only guild

i know of pvp guilds, raiding , rp, pve and such

others i found family, casual, christian(or other faith guilds)

but i understand why people question the need for LBGT guilds..

reson is this is a video game your sexual prefference or sex of actual player should never be brought into a game world. most come here to escape such things... that is why peopke MIGHT. have a problem cause even the christain guilds are fairly quite.

most forums about said guild always has because how in treated .. well dont tell anyone. im a 46yr male but if i never go onto a voice chat server youll never know that im really male. your sex and or perfrence has nothing to do with the game itself.

the christain guilds btw are more about clearer language than talking about religon. i was in onend near had a conversation about that.

as i stated before most of tge cries from someone in a guild like that or looking for one is because they bring their preferrence out in the open. to me that is private and oersonal and dont need to hear about it or care about it.

i goto MMO's to play a game find a fun guild chat with them and thats it... they dont need my life story.

i am a (@@@@@@@@@@) player btw .. yeah its my business what i am no one elses.

And some people are very open about their life and don't want to be attacked for it. So, LGBT friendly guilds, women friendly guilds etc.

if you choose to be open then you leave yourself open to whatever is out there

most people dont know im christian cause i dot go hi im .... and im christian

they find out otherways but i dont just tell everyone.

thats all im saying different types of guilds are fibe but dont conplain about being harrassed if you choose to be open on the internet.( it can and is a cruel place)

btw my last msg wasnt an attack or this one just an opinion and experience of what ive seen while i have gamed

if you choose to be open then you leave yourself open to whatever is out there

most people dont know im christian cause i dot go hi im .... and im christian

they find out otherways but i dont just tell everyone.

thats all im saying different types of guilds are fibe but dont conplain about being harrassed if you choose to be open on the internet.( it can and is a cruel place)

btw my last msg wasnt an attack or this one just an opinion and experience of what ive seen while i have gamed

And that's why people create guilds that are safe environment for those living in a still cruel world. Because this is a social game where people in guilds often get on voice coms, talk about personal things going on in their lives, and even get together in real life to meet (both the guilds I'm in do this all the time). Not everyone is content to hide important aspects of who they are. And some people run into disastrous results when others "find out" the thing they are hiding.

And my goodness, what a horrible attitude to have. Yes, the internet is a cruel place, that doesn't mean we should shut up and take it. That attitude went so well in the work force for so long.

Edited by chuixupu

Ah yes, of course, victim blaming, because it is absolutely impossible to keep your opinions to yourself. Hate isn't like rain.

i never believe in blaming a victim

eg. to me just because a woman wears froming tooo revealing isnt a case to jutify rape. Just because people are openly gay can NEVER justify abbusive behavior vebaly or phyiscally.

just like because im a christian doesnt give anyone the right to attack me .

all im saying is what we really need is just understanding and not to ask for special treatment.

The sad thing is its not a wise thing to advertise about any type of guild thta isnt just pure gaming like christian, LG types cause they get trolled by jerks..

these jerks are why idont express my faith or other stuff because i just want to log on and enjoy the game and not care about the outside world. LGTG guilds are fine as long as they dont dowhat ive seen alot do from WoW and start be demanding and such.

I most likely didnt come off right in previous posts but was like oh no not these type of posts (again not the best thought to have but seen too. many)

btw I only found 1 guild that doesnt alllow 1 swear word or any bad talk about anyone and that was guild mediviel that is in neverwinter now.

all i look for in a guild is nice people (hopefully clean language) and most of all drama free and that the type of guild doesnt matter to me as long and im welcome. now im not a raider so i cant see me being welcome in that type of guild and im fine with it.

i betterstop now anyways to each their own

all im saying is what we really need is just understanding and not to ask for special treatment.

The sad thing is its not a wise thing to advertise about any type of guild thta isnt just pure gaming like christian, LG types cause they get trolled by jerks..

Nobody is asking for special treatment. Where do you get that from? Creating a guild is special treatment now?

I've seen the threads for Christian guild recruitment and they're actually not really all that trolled. You'll always get one or two people doing what people are doing in this thread, but that's expected and it shouldn't deter anyone.

these jerks are why idont express my faith or other stuff because i just want to log on and enjoy the game and not care about the outside world.

That's your prerogative to be secretive and that's fine. But you can't expect everyone to want to do the same as you, nor should they.

LGTG guilds are fine as long as they dont dowhat ive seen alot do from WoW and start be demanding and such.

Demanding what? I've played on Proudmoore US since 2006 and never seen any "demands" from the guilds there.

all i look for in a guild is nice people (hopefully clean language) and most of all drama free and that the type of guild doesnt matter to me as long and im welcome. now im not a raider so i cant see me being welcome in that type of guild and im fine with it.

Well, good for you, but I wouldn't be, and I'd probably go start a guild that had more like-minded people so I could enjoy the game more myself. ;)