Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Syas
12.28.2011 , 06:40 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by knightnvy View Post
The way slicing was there would be no need for gold farmers...
Incorrect, because it would cause a great overvaluing of goods it would lead to one of two inevitabilites: Everyone needs to be a slicer (which would eventually lead to the second anyway) or people needed to buy credits to afford anything.
Thall | Combat Medic ||| Kannus | Kinetic Shadow
Dars'yl | Immortal Juggernaut ||| Sudor | Concealment Operative
Ebon Hawke

Pansophist
12.28.2011 , 06:41 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Syas View Post
Here is the issue though, you are not selling them for more than you pay to get them. You also have to make (minimal) effort to sell them, whereas with Slicing you could run 8 characters login/3 clicks/logout/repeat
Which is why I suggested level caps as an alternative (in addition to a slight nerf from what it was).

Zakkana
12.28.2011 , 06:41 PM | #23
Everyone keeps dancing around the main issues with flames and whatnot. But here it is all layed out:

1) The slicing nerf was NEEDED. No one really disputes this.
2) The nerf was too much
3) The nerf was done, from all appearances, based on forum noise
4) They focused on this instead of addressing issues like UI problems, Guild/Party Chat breaking, memory leaks and a whole other host of problems that would be more of a concern than slicing itself.
5) The nerf is being judged at a time where the player base and server economies are new.

Did I miss any others?

Volki
12.28.2011 , 06:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Obi_Ron View Post
The way it was before, slicing would have been a wonderful tool for gold farmers.
I strongly disagree. Why would I need to buy credits from gold farmers if I have enough to fix my items, buy gear/skills, etc?

Phadian_gess
12.28.2011 , 06:42 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Obi_Ron View Post
The OP in this post presents a good argument why slicing had to be nerfed.
i read his post and he makes alot of good points
Haters, They gonna hate
www.Youtube.com/user/zanove
^---my youtube channel for covers and music

Pansophist
12.28.2011 , 06:43 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakkana View Post
Everyone keeps dancing around the main issues with flames and whatnot. But here it is all layed out:

1) The slicing nerf was NEEDED. No one really disputes this.
2) The nerf was too much
3) The nerf was done, from all appearances, based on forum noise
4) They focused on this instead of addressing issues like UI problems, Guild/Party Chat breaking, memory leaks and a whole other host of problems that would be more of a concern than slicing itself.
5) The nerf is being judged at a time where the player base and server economies are new.

Did I miss any others?
Level caps.

Obi_Ron
12.28.2011 , 06:43 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by knightnvy View Post
The way slicing was there would be no need for gold farmers...
Sure there would. Players would still want to buy things on the GTN. The hyperinflation caused by slicing would have increased player wealth, but also increased prices correspondingly. As a result, the kind of players who wanted to cheat by buying gold would still have a reason to do so.

Obi_Ron
12.28.2011 , 06:44 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Volki View Post
I strongly disagree. Why would I need to buy credits from gold farmers if I have enough to fix my items, buy gear/skills, etc?
See my response to knightnvy, above.

Vibal_Magus
12.28.2011 , 06:45 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Pansophist View Post
What do you call the other gathering professions? We've been down this road before, and everyone still comes back to 'printing money zomg'.

Other gathering professions do the same thing. You can argue that they yield items that you can utilize, but I vendor them. What am I doing? I'm generating/printing money.

Good argument.
Other gathering professions require another player to want/need the thing you have, slicing did not. I would like to see that changed.

Slicing DID print money, that was it's primary draw. I would be curious to see how many people broke the 1, 5, and 10 million marks in the first week with a crew skill other than slicing.

Unojc
12.28.2011 , 06:46 PM | #30
I'm curious, with the nerf done to slicing, how will it change you're buying/spending habits?

As one who is still leveling I absolutely refuse to buy anything from anyone now. Not sure how that will be at 50. In fact with how most of the crafting professions are and how many vendor items are better than 400 crafted items, I'll be taking nothing but gathering professions and selling/hoarding. No buying for me.
R.I.P. .
R.I.P. Slicing
R.I.P. My Old Names