Resolve changes - are you even listening?

Ronxz

Greetings. So I, as many others, have probably read the changes coming to resolve in the recently released developer blog. And, since Mr. Peckenpaugh, was so kind as to explain to us the goal and the result of the changes coming I wanted to point out developers are very out of touch with player demands with their changes to the pvp system.

Players have been complaining that all PvP is right now is a giant stun fest. You basically walk in, get spammed with stuns, have a single get out of stun free ability on a very long 2 minute cooldown, and are immediately restunned shortly there after with your one ability on cooldown. Every class has multiple stuns on much shorter cooldowns than said free ability.

In effect what you are doing, Mr. Peckenpaugh, is making this entire situation much much much worse. At least before if I am a ball carrier I could hope to get full resolve and then use my 2 minute cooldown to escape while on the fire trap before being killed after being grappled from 30 meters away and stunned immediately or being hit by a long range stun or simply being rooted (since that is not a CC and is not affected by resolve, but, hey, it can kill me when snipers and sorcs use it just as easily without any penalities unlike their stun/mez)

In effect your wonderful change now makes it so I will be stunned longer, easier, and with less change to use my single, 2 minute cooldown, to escape. I will expect to be stunned more, with less ways out, and it will make huttball drag on much longer. I will be stuck taking damage without a way to respond. Unless you are going to make it so damage actually breaks stuns this change will simply make PvP less enjoyable.

Yes, it might be annoying when a PuG slaps 3-4 stuns on a ball carrier and they get full resolve or a marauder gets full resolve and goes off destroying everything but maybe there is another way to fix this without breaking resolve further:

Why not look at WHY marauders are obliterating all the other classes? Why not consider the complaints and see about changing the way huttball is played? Where is the change to resolve to break CCs upon completely filling? Where is the response to the marauder/sent large number of defensive CCs without any penalty? Where is the response to the marauders have been force cloak than assassins? Why aren't we seeing changes to balance melee and ranged DPS? What about having grapple at a 30 meter range in huttball and being pulled into fire traps from half the map away right as you are about to score?

Rather than fix these issues that would help make pvp better you are focusing on things which only make it more painful. Please, reconsider this, think about what we've complained about and what we want. We want less stuns, we want more fighting, but your change simply gives us more stuns and less fighting.

It will not be fun to walk into a warzone and expect to be stunned for the entire fight.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they tripled the Endurance stats on all level 50 gear then all of your problems with Resolve would vanish, do you know why?

Because you would actually live long enough to use it.

Currently, damage has increased at a much faster rate than health has, leading to a very short TTK (Time To Kill). This creates a large incentive to back big burst classes that can quickly burn down foes within the duration of a stun or two. If you increase the health pools by a large enough amount, then the percentage of health lost during a burst would go down. This means that stuns would be used primarily against healers instead of everyone else allowing healers to gain Resolve Immunity and everyone else to avoid being stunned at all.

I would just like Resolve to work. Like I never want to see my resolve bar going down again WHILE I am stunned again.

I even filed two tickets for it this weekend. The first I got a live agent chat, and he told me it was a bug they were working on. The second time I got an e-mail saying "this is working as intended".

Working as intended? If you can see your resolve go down WHILE you are stunned it means one of two things.

Either your resolve was already full, yet you still got stunned. Or it was not full yet, and got filled and started going away all within the span of one stun.

Actually as I am typing this, the new change might actually fix that. What I theorize was happening was that your resolve wasn't full, you get stunned it fills up, while you are stunned someone hits you with a second stun, resolve "saves" you from this stun and starts going away, but you never notice because you are still under the effects of the first one that filled it.

We'll see I guess.

Edit: And good job to the OP on the cleverly disguised nerf maras post.

Edited by criminalheretic

This can actually be a positive thing for PUG groups in Huttball. So many times I've seen a group be constantly rolled over by an organized group because the ball carrier is immune to everything and easily walks the ball into the endzone, due to the fact that so many un-organized or un-aware PUG players were throwing premature stuns, CC's, etc filling the carriers resolve ( making it nearly impossible to stop the carrier ), Edited by SyphonSith

If they tripled the Endurance stats on all level 50 gear then all of your problems with Resolve would vanish, do you know why?

Because you would actually live long enough to use it.

Currently, damage has increased at a much faster rate than health has, leading to a very short TTK (Time To Kill). This creates a large incentive to back big burst classes that can quickly burn down foes within the duration of a stun or two. If you increase the health pools by a large enough amount, then the percentage of health lost during a burst would go down. This means that stuns would be used primarily against healers instead of everyone else allowing healers to gain Resolve Immunity and everyone else to avoid being stunned at all.

Not to mention the new tier of pvp gear on the way. We'll see TTK drop further. Unless they made endurance a base stat for all pvp gear and boosted the crap out of it.

After I read these notes I am now 100% confident no one at Bioware actually plays the game.

Agreed. I just can't imagine anyone who actually plays on a regular server would think these were good changes coming into the game. I just scratch my head sometimes, do developers not play video games anymore?

More time being stunned. What's not to love right? I mean rather than having Pugs learn to play, we now get to ha e coordinated teams effectively stunlock players through coordination. Well done Bioware. :rolleyes:

If they were coordinated teams they'd be able to do that anyway with the existing set-up. The only difference is you'll need less coordination for the same effect.

More time being stunned. What's not to love right? I mean rather than having Pugs learn to play, we now get to ha e coordinated teams effectively stunlock players through coordination. Well done Bioware. :rolleyes:

Ok, could those of you who are doomsaying explain where you are getting the idea that you will be stunned for longer? They said that overlapping stuns won't build as much resolve. If the stuns are overlapping, then you aren't getting stunned for longer. For players who know what they're doing (who don't waste a stun on an already stunned target), this won't change anything.

Since most players dont know what they're doing, this means fewer events of full resolve = more time being spent stunned.

No, they dont play this game. More time not being able to control your character != what we need.

Edited by Polebreaker

I have no idea what you guys are ************ about. The two most underpowered classes were sage and merc. And they are buffing both to some degree, without drastically changing balance elsewhere or messing with PVE. The final effectiveness is yet tbd, but I'm pleased they clearly ARE listening.

And as a commando, I love the idea of a ranges interrupt. My only big gripe was inability to disrupt a healer.

im sorry, im having trouble reading this without laughing.. can you tell me from the patch notes, where is the BUFF for Mercs? we get an interrupt and a knock back nerf imo.

We read 1.4, we still have to play it, so guess we'll have to wait and see.

Still Bioware only made changes to the stunning/controlling in 1.4 unless they will bring some kind of "damage balance" post later on, unless the damage for each class is "working as intended".

Edited by Jorojus

After I read these notes I am now 100% confident no one at Bioware actually plays the game.

Now I am in debate on using this as my sig or a previous quote of mine of : "So true.. Did they take out insurance on this game? I love it but it's so weird." Yours may be better

The most funny part is this:

Backlash/Kinetic Collapse: The incapacitation effect caused by this skill no longer breaks on damage.

If its only for the caster then its OK since it will be probably for defensive use.

But if it works for anyone we gonna have lots of "fun".

I mean a 3 sec unbreakable AOE cc with 25 sec cooldown?

And the bubble can be broken on purpose by a mara/jug after they leap? Or a sin/op?

Probably combined with Orbital Strikes, Smashes, Death fields etc?

Wow!!!! Cannot wait to see it! :D :D

To developers: Guys, now that the game becomes F2P are you gonna play it at last?

Edited by Fearine

The most funny part is this:

If its only for the caster then its OK since it will be probably for defensive use.

But if it works for anyone we gonna have lots of "fun".

I mean a 3 sec unbreakable AOE cc with 25 sec cooldown?

And the bubble can be breaked on purpose by a mara/jug after they leap? Or a sin/op?

Probably combined with Orbital Strikes, Smashes, Death fields etc?

Wow!!!! Cannot wait to see it! :D :D

To developers: Guys, now that the game becomes F2P are you gonna play it at last?

If I am not mistaken they can actually get the debuff applied by the shield down to 17 seconds. As a class with no hard stunn I CANT WAIT.

If I am not mistaken they can actually get the debuff applied by the shield down to 17 seconds. As a class with no hard stunn I CANT WAIT.

I don't know this but if is true it becomes more funny.

People complain about Stun Wars and Bioware makes Stun Wars Deluxe.

Bioware is like Vatican during Medieval.

Vatican thought the Earth was flat and Bioware thought they made the perfect ending for Mass Effect 3.

All the rest of the global had different opinion. :D :D :D

im sorry, im having trouble reading this without laughing.. can you tell me from the patch notes, where is the BUFF for Mercs? we get an interrupt and a knock back nerf imo.

Your KB is being changed from a KB that filled a resolve bar to full, into a stun that does not. Stop crying.

Afterburners/Concussive Force: Rocket Punch/Stockstrike now immobilizes the target for 4 seconds instead of knocking it back. Damage caused after 2 seconds ends the effect. The knockback previously caused by this skill generated enough Resolve that it was actually detrimental to the Mercenary/Commando’s ability to further escape the attacker.

Mercenaries and Commandos now have a 30-meter interrupt, Disabling Shot. <-- I think I'll pass on whatever you've been smoking, as interrupts are key abilities to have in any PvP environment, and now you get one for 30m range.

Tracer Lock/Charged Barrel: Now each stack additionally reduces the activation time of your next Healing Scan/Advanced Medical Probe by 20% per stack.

Kolto Residue: Now additionally snares enemies struck by your Kolto Missile/Kolto Bomb by 50% for 3 seconds.

New Bodyguard/Combat Medic skill, Peacekeeper/Frontline Medic: While protected by your own Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe, firing Rapid Shots/Hammer Shot at an enemy triggers your Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe to heal you on a separate 3-second rate limit. <-- Big buff to heal Mercs.

Self heals just by using your basic attack while your most commonly used self-buff is active? Please tell me more about how you'll just be a punching bag.

Edited by Malkavier

This can actually be a positive thing for PUG groups in Huttball. So many times I've seen a group be constantly rolled over by an organized group because the ball carrier is immune to everything and easily walks the ball into the endzone, due to the fact that so many un-organized or un-aware PUG players were throwing premature stuns, CC's, etc filling the carriers resolve ( making it nearly impossible to stop the carrier ),

I was one of the 7 people that liked the resolve system as is, and even I am against this proposed change. If you cater to the disorganized and stupid, then that is what you will get. The organized and smart ones will go somehwere else.

This change just ensures that you will use your stun breaker less often, because you will have full resolve less often and you will spend more time being stunned.

Your KB is being changed from a KB that filled a resolve bar to full, into a stun that does not. Stop crying.

Afterburners/Concussive Force: Rocket Punch/Stockstrike now immobilizes the target for 4 seconds instead of knocking it back. Damage caused after 2 seconds ends the effect. The knockback previously caused by this skill generated enough Resolve that it was actually detrimental to the Mercenary/Commando’s ability to further escape the attacker.

Please start comprehending. They say the issue is filling the resolve bar, so this is not a stun, IT'S A ROOT! Please tell me how rooting a bunch of people around a node while trying to defend it helps me at all. I want to knock them off the node so they are forced to walk (slowly) back to the node, thus buying my team time to recover.

Mercenaries and Commandos now have a 30-meter interrupt, Disabling Shot. <-- I think I'll pass on whatever you've been smoking, as interrupts are key abilities to have in any PvP environment, and now you get one for 30m range.

I'm personally not even going to consider the addition of an interrupt as a buff because it was a complete screw up by the devs leaving it out in the first place. So, grats to the devs on only taking 8 months to realize that you left off one of the most fundamental abilities from one class.

Tracer Lock/Charged Barrel: Now each stack additionally reduces the activation time of your next Healing Scan/Advanced Medical Probe by 20% per stack.

This is great because healers really should spend time casting dps instead of casting heals.

Kolto Residue: Now additionally snares enemies struck by your Kolto Missile/Kolto Bomb by 50% for 3 seconds.

New Bodyguard/Combat Medic skill, Peacekeeper/Frontline Medic: While protected by your own Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe, firing Rapid Shots/Hammer Shot at an enemy triggers your Kolto Shell/Trauma Probe to heal you on a separate 3-second rate limit. <-- Big buff to heal Mercs.

Self heals just by using your basic attack while your most commonly used self-buff is active? Please tell me more about how you'll just be a punching bag.

Commando healers are currently the worst for PvP, this is the one attempt at bringing them up to the level of other classes.