When will we be able to romance same grender companions?

tomhjen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably never. They've been claiming to be "working on it" forever. They're just leading us with a carrot as far as I can tell. All it takes is a few trigger changes and alternate vocals depending on gender but that is too hard for them. They've more or less said so themselves.

Maybe if they ever get around to letting us restart our class and companion stories will they finally implement it.

I know they have been saying "it is comping soon" since the release, so when is it coming?

I am pretty sure somewhere it was said that they have no plans on changing the current companions.

As much as it sucks those companions are straight and they shouldn't change. Since it would screw up anyone who wishes to romance them if they are done with that companions quests.

They have mentioned that they will continue to add SGR to the game. They added a couple small arcs on makeb. In the bounty hunter event you could flirt with someone of the same sex.

I am sure that we will eventually get more companions that have actual story and most likely when that happens we will get a true SGR companion.

While said companion will most likely just be BI. I am still hoping that we may get 2 companions (one for male and one for female) that are similar to the absolutely wonderful writing we got for the same sex only romance options in mass effect 3.

I agree, the game is so light on romance it might as well be G rated. Fade to black and some fanfic-tier mail.

Honestly that has always been one of my bigger critiques about this game.

Coming from the prospective of other Bioware games (particularly Dragon Age & Mass Effect series) the romance cutscenes (and just romances as a whole) feel lacking. I am not asking for **** by any means.

Idk, but seeing a scene that is extremely well crafted that is more art and the 2 people involved actually being close (as in the sex isn't the focus) is something I miss. But I understand an MMO with an M rating is scary.

Yeah, what's with the obsession on this? When I see requests for this I usually think its a bunch of folks that want to make the female toons kiss. One need only look at the massive popularity of dancer and slave adaptive armor tops on female toons and female companions to know that that is the case.

I'm sure there are some gay players that want this for guy/guy, but I bet a solid 95% of the people wanting this fall into the former rather than latter categories.

Yeah, what's with the obsession on this? When I see requests for this I usually think its a bunch of folks that want to make the female toons kiss. One need only look at the massive popularity of dancer and slave adaptive armor tops on female toons and female companions to know that that is the case.

I'm sure there are some gay players that want this for guy/guy, but I bet a solid 95% of the people wanting this fall into the former rather than latter categories.

Unfortunately that may be true. But we are also talking about a Bioware game. But there are some. I am a gay man that would like to be able to play a guy and romance another guy.

Bioware has a long history of including same sex story arcs in their games. Which is probably a big reason this conversion has come up more often.

I would like to romance any, i am bi, and i would love to have a romance with one of my male companion's. And i can not understand why people are against it, if you don't like it, don't do it. Besides, being gay is ofc some what of a taboo in the states, but aside from that and the muslim world, being gay is very accepted and in most counties you can get married in the church. So where is the problem?

I would like to romance any, i am bi, and i would love to have a romance with one of my male companion's. And i can not understand why people are against it, if you don't like it, don't do it. Besides, being gay is ofc some what of a taboo in the states, but aside from that and the muslim world, being gay is very accepted and in most counties you can get married in the church. So where is the problem?

If you have not seen it. Google "straight male gamer bioware" for an interesting event that happened around dragon age.

The problem is that it is perceived that most gamers are Straight Males. Which is not the case. Ignoring sexuality Women have become a fairly significant portion of the gaming population. Throw in sexuality and the image gets much more blurry (however I don't think there has been a study on sexuality and gaming yet to get numbers).

There are many people who are offended by homosexuality. This is why most of the time (dragon age being a big example of the opposite) any same sex options are hidden, not called out until the player sees the option. Up to that point they generally make no reference or hints about their sexuality.

Unfortunately this debate has started several times on these forums and (as you can already see here with posts deleted in this thread) it has generally quickly gotten out of hand and threads locked/deleted. Bioware has also made a few statements that certain topics (I will not repeat them, if you wish search for them) related to same sex story arcs will not be tolerated.

Edited by ninjonxb

Eh, don't start asking the gaming population about social issues. It won't end well. And that kind of discussion is highly discouraged on these forums. The problem in the game is simply a matter of time, money, and resources. Bioware/EA have been very vocal about believing in inclusiveness of SGR. They just aren't often open to opening their wallets for extra work to implement a lot of things. Companions and Class story seem to be on the backburner in general.

If you have not seen it. Google "straight male gamer bioware" for an interesting event that happened around dragon age.

The problem is that it is perceived that most gamers are Straight Males. Which is not the case. Ignoring sexuality Women have become a fairly significant portion of the gaming population. Throw in sexuality and the image gets much more blurry (however I don't think there has been a study on sexuality and gaming yet to get numbers).

There are many people who are offended by homosexuality. This is why most of the time (dragon age being a big example of the opposite) any same sex options are hidden, not called out until the player sees the option. Up to that point they generally make no reference or hints about their sexuality.

Unfortunately this debate has started several times on these forums and (as you can already see here with posts deleted in this thread) it has generally quickly gotten out of hand and threads locked/deleted. Bioware has also made a few statements that certain topics (I will not repeat them, if you wish search for them) related to same sex story arcs will not be tolerated.

That is called discrimination and is offensive for us who are gay. But i guess offending the minority is okei, as long as the majority are happy.

That is called discrimination and is offensive for us who are gay. But i guess offending the minority is okei, as long as the majority are happy.

I should clarify. The topics related to this that Bioware has said they will now allow discussion were bad. The topics themselves were homophobic so Bioware is taking the good stance for saying they will be stopped before they go any farther.

I will PM you with details once I get home from work :)

I should clarify. The topics related to this that Bioware has said they will now allow discussion were bad. The topics themselves were homophobic so Bioware is taking the good stance for saying they will be stopped before they go any farther.

I will PM you with details once I get home from work :)

I am not trying to start a huge homophobia, and i think that is something that is pretty silly anyway. If you are straight you can look away, you are not being forced to do anything, but i'll let it rest just saying i think it is a darn shame that the minority is being walked over because Bioware is afraid of some taboo and a phobia :cool:

Pretty much. It's whichever one will make the most money, since that's the point of a business. Before launch, everyone was pestering them for a release date and I think it got rushed. They pushed it out and had to decide what they would spend resources on in order to get it ready for play and SGR didn't make the cut. Now the way the companion system works, they would have to either reset everyone's companion questlines or tell people to roll new characters if they want access to romances on companions who already have story progress completed. What they've apparently settled on is putting it in new content and on new companions, but they just haven't released any companions yet that would be suitable (HK is a robot, and I'm not sure you can really assign a gender to it, but it's usually referred to as male, and Treek is an Ewok, and the same reasoning for why I can't romance Blizz on my BH applies).

Pretty much. It's whichever one will make the most money, since that's the point of a business. Before launch, everyone was pestering them for a release date and I think it got rushed. They pushed it out and had to decide what they would spend resources on in order to get it ready for play and SGR didn't make the cut. Now the way the companion system works, they would have to either reset everyone's companion questlines or tell people to roll new characters if they want access to romances on companions who already have story progress completed. What they've apparently settled on is putting it in new content and on new companions, but they just haven't released any companions yet that would be suitable (HK is a robot, and I'm not sure you can really assign a gender to it, but it's usually referred to as male, and Treek is an Ewok, and the same reasoning for why I can't romance Blizz on my BH applies).

Yeah i agree with that. But it seems atm they ate just trying to milk that CM cow as much as they can before the player base plummets again, you might start to wonder when that "cow" is going to run out :p

Right or wrong here is one of the reasons for their decisions.

Go back and look at the DAO forums and various outcry's. People were downright insulted that their straight character was hit on by companions of the same sex. Which, they have a point...companions should be smart enough to simply not hit on you if you have already chosen an orientation. Simple social triggers, if your character flirts with women the first few times simply disable all male flirts and your male companions don't even attempt to flirt...the same vice versa. Note I did not say what sex the character player is. Simple social triggers, people are going to talk and recognize what they see and so should the companions.

That alone would stop a lot of arguments early on.

Right or wrong here is one of the reasons for their decisions.

Go back and look at the DAO forums and various outcry's. People were downright insulted that their straight character was hit on by companions of the same sex

yeah, if it was a guy. Let's not pretend the reaction was the same when it was about 2 girls because straight guys were all "Hell yesss score! Niceeeeee!" on that.

I have better suggestion than yours, people should stop being hypocrites.

Edited by Pietrastor

yeah, if it was a guy. Let's not pretend the reaction was the same when it was about 2 girls because straight guys were all "Hell yesss score! Niceeeeee!" on that.

This ^ The same happened with Mass Effect 3, and in fact all the way through the whole series, with 2 females it was perfectly OK (Yes Liara is basically female, dont give me the alien mono gender BS) but when Shepard was able to have gay relationship everyone was in uproar. Yes DA was slightly different, but its still no excuse.

Why it is so hard for the Austin team to imagine a companion with quest to be on the starter planets for all classes and another one on a later planet with SGR options, is absolutely beyond me. It's not that hard to do. Should've been done shortly after relases, all we have are promises, and nothing else.

If something this simple is still on the wall of crazy, or on a note making its way there, then really, how did they even pass primary education.

I'm actually not a hypocrite. I don't care what people want or how they react.

When I play a female character and flirt with a guy npc...I'd really rather the female npc's not try and flirt with that female character that has just confirmed being straight by flirting with the male.

When my female character flirts with another female npc, I want the males to just leave her alone as she obviously is not interested in them.

Same goes for my male characters.

The stories are like books...and seriously, the reality of the world is that most people who call themselves bi aren't really...they have a preference they prefer and simply leave the option of the other open when they can't get what they prefer. People have a way they lean and it should be respected, even by the npc's which should be a very simple trigger to have. That is all anyone in the world wants... straight people don't want gays throwing it in their face, and likewise gays don't want straight people throwing it in their face. Implement triggers in the game that take into account previous choices and you cover every base, people that don't want to see something never will.

the reality of the world is that most people who call themselves bi aren't really...they have a preference they prefer and simply leave the option of the other open when they can't get what they prefer. People have a way they lean and it should be respected, even by the npc's which should be a very simple trigger to have. That is all anyone in the world wants... straight people don't want gays throwing it in their face, and likewise gays don't want straight people throwing it in their face. Implement triggers in the game that take into account previous choices and you cover every base, people that don't want to see something never will.

Ignoring the "bi people are just lying hoho" nonsense, the reality of the world is that people flirt/hit on each other and flirting with one gender doesn't automatically mean someone is not interested in the other one and except for the (close) famile/friend circle, no one will know or predict what orientation someone is because you don't have it displayed on your forehead so yeah, they may ask you out/flirt. Your Agent meets a girl on new planet, she likes the Agent, may flirt with him/her. Pick "no" option, move on. Simple. And you CONSTANTLY see options you will never use/pursue, it's there so that other can use it. Once again, pick "No thx k bai" and get over it. Just like in real life when someone you ain't into hits on you.

Edited by Pietrastor