Did Revan fall in the end *spoilers*

Crimsonorion

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though from a purely game design standpoint, seeing that by the time we are lvl 55 we have killed so many droids we could build a ship, it would take an immense force to kill them off. It may have been intended as genocide, but the sith are hardly a weak race that would go down without a massive fight. And seeing there is always a few uber siths who can practically tear a planet in half with the force, drain another planet of its life force; such massive shows of power cannot be just killed by a droid army. But no doubt many would be killed, but in essence in the end it would be just weeding out the weak.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lateness of the post but something that has been on my mind too.

I personally feel Revan became the person he was before KOTOR. He went after the Mandolorians in a similar way as he did the sith complete victory through genocide so that they would never rise again. He was never mr good or mr bad he was from his viewpoint do what must be done no matter what.

Something you didn't like about him but also made the character so interesting that he could do so much good then so bad. I liked when Scourge said Revan knew you needed to know both sides to defeat the emperor.

Which is why i thought he may take the Kreia role being your master. I thought Kreia was a really good bad guy who constantly infuriated me as an apprentice but that also what made her so good a character the manipulating old witch.

If Revan was 2 die don't know why emperor couldn't of killed him 300 years before. I think the only way he could be brought back was if it was an operation and instead of you killing him that he is brought b4 emperor assuming hes still alive and avoided death and then have him executed by the main man or dark council. Don't feel my character is epic enough to kill him which i think a lot of ppl feel same way. Our characters dont have same pull as Revan's did and i think that is why ppl want an appropiate death.

1 last thing technically he looks younger than Obi wan when he came out of chamber so he could practically be around a little longer but not another 100 years yet he did learn things from emps mind so who knows. Maybe another good death would be emperor controls his mind to kill Satele so kills himself to stop himself. But who knows maybe story should be left so it doesn't get any worse.

Now that they have changed Malgus' death to be more final (i.e. you can actually see his body laying dead) and Revan still vanishes, I have to say I am firmly in the camp that they intend for Revan to return at some point.

they didn't change anything, it was always possiable to just kill him. just now with gear being so much better it's MUCH more common to see.

I think Revan fell to the dark side. On one hand, yes he does seem to draw from both the light and the dark, but on the spectrum his is mainly light. I mean in KOTOR he was redeemed to the light was he not? And when he drew on both the light and the dark side it was more Oneness than anything - which is just drawing on the Force. Basically not the kind of character who's going to use dark side powers.

Also, quoting Malak adds weight to this. Malak was a dark side user and even at death he was never quite fully redeemed, not enough to pass into the Netherworld. Only a lightsider can truly become one with the Force. Darksiders are just consumed by blackness. So if Revan truly did not fall to the dark side, he would have transcended into the Netherworld and would not have said those words.

Alive or dead? At this stage neither. I remember reading somewhere (or at least I think I did) that the developers altered Revan's death scene to leave the option of bringing him back open for them. So at this stage I don't think even the developers are sure, and we can't say until an official statement or reveal is made. I'd like to think he's dead though, else why would have he said 'in the end their is nothing' if it wasn't the end?

I think Revan fell to the dark side. On one hand, yes he does seem to draw from both the light and the dark, but on the spectrum his is mainly light. I mean in KOTOR he was redeemed to the light was he not? And when he drew on both the light and the dark side it was more Oneness than anything - which is just drawing on the Force. Basically not the kind of character who's going to use dark side powers.

Also, quoting Malak adds weight to this. Malak was a dark side user and even at death he was never quite fully redeemed, not enough to pass into the Netherworld. Only a lightsider can truly become one with the Force. Darksiders are just consumed by blackness. So if Revan truly did not fall to the dark side, he would have transcended into the Netherworld and would not have said those words.

Alive or dead? At this stage neither. I remember reading somewhere (or at least I think I did) that the developers altered Revan's death scene to leave the option of bringing him back open for them. So at this stage I don't think even the developers are sure, and we can't say until an official statement or reveal is made. I'd like to think he's dead though, else why would have he said 'in the end their is nothing' if it wasn't the end?

Well that and he really needs to be let go its been 300 years, if he comes back let it be for the final time. Enough of this hand holding stuff, just to please fans.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I just want to point out that just before Revan vanished, he mutters on about fading into the darkness. He made it sound like this was the end for him, and what is and was Revan is now gone.

As people mentioned repeatedly in this thread, it was just an homage and / or reference to what Malak says, in his dying breath, at the end of KoTOR. Not exactly proof that he kicked the bucket or anything... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if he's completely gone, and I think anyone saying either way in this thread is only speculating. Anyone who was a gamer back when KOTOR was released, though, and waited the eight long years to find out exactly what happened to him, will rightfully not be a fan of how his character was handled.

As for whether he fell to the dark side, it's pretty clear that he did. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's hard to picture Revan the Prodigal Knight, who went out of his way to help out anyone he came across who was in need, being willing to go through with what he planned. I don't think finding his old mask again necessarily made him more 'evil', either. It's pretty well indicated in the book on Revan that finding the mask didn't make his personality more sinister.

Spending three centuries having his mind probed by, and probing the mind of, the Emperor, though, would logically have serious psychological effects. Scourge nearly went mad just glimpsing the Emperor's mind for a moment. I don't think any Jedi left to have their mind invaded by him for three centuries could be unaffected.

Revan probably resisted for a while, but gave in just enough when he knew or felt that Bastila, and his old friends, died. As he said, he lost everything. If anything could stir the dark side in Revan again it would be being denied the chance to say a final goodbye to his wife or to ever see his child grow up.

His quoting Malak doesn't prove he died, but it definitely makes it seem likely.

Edited by BradTheImpaler

As people mentioned repeatedly in this thread, it was just an homage and / or reference to what Malak says, in his dying breath, at the end of KoTOR. Not exactly proof that he kicked the bucket or anything... :rolleyes:
Well I would say it is, given that its was Malak's last words before his death. Revan wasn't just being nostalgic, he had come to an understanding of the feeling that Malak felt before he died. A feeling he could only understand if he himself was about to die.

And again, you don't say 'in the end I am nothing' if its not the end. Nor do you say 'as the darkness takes me' if said darkness (AKA the void, the netherworld, the big sleep, whatever you like to call it) is not about to take you.

I doubt Revan's lines mean he intentionally set up himself to teleport, especially since his "last words" clearly tell you he has accepted his own death and feels enlightened.

As for the op, yeah I fell Revan fell to the Dark Side and died. The moment he said, "the power of the Force in balance" and conjured dark storms of Force lightning with a plan for genocide, I was reminded of the "good" Revan everyone worshiped for defeating the Mandalorians via fighting as dark and bloody as they did. Not the most Jedi-like, let alone the most Light Side.

Revan never really cared about light or dark side. Maybe the preachy, overly light-sided, Jedi brainwashed version of him did. But the real Revan, the one who won the Mandalorian Wars, valued strength above all. He understood that neither side could bring any kind of clarity on its own. You need both perspectives to gain any kind of balance. The Jedi would say that a purely Light galaxy is balanced, but this violates the laws of binary opposition. There must always be light and dark in equal measure. And Revan understood this. As for the question of his death, well.... I believe it would be best if Bioware just left it open-ended. No closure, but also no disappointment (Since Bioware has a long history of offering the latter). Let our imaginations decide what happened to him. Because let's be honest, KOTOR fans probably won't be happy either way. It's the way we are. We do know that HK lived to some degree, at least. I suggest looking on the SW wiki if you weren't privy to this information. So we can take heart that some part of Revan will live on no matter what.... In a homicidal jedi-killing droid that we've all come to cherish.

I've been a fan of kotor since it released, and waited what like 8 or 9 years to find out what happened to Revan? The Revan comes out great, I'm thinking "great this is the Revan I remember" I was disappointed with how Meetra was cheap shotted to death.

Swtor comes out and totally wrecks Revans storyline into oblivion in more ways than one.

So I hope he isn't dead, I want some decent closure or better yet decent active involvement from the character I waited like 8/9 years to see again.

I don't think Revan fell, Revan used the force in perfect balance and could draw from whichever side he wanted he wasn't limited by the idea of light or dark.

Edited by RTCBrad

Also when you "finish" Revan he says "And now I know how you felt in the end, old friend" in which he is referring [i think] to Malek when he died on the Star Forge. Then Revan vanishes in a flash of light much like the Emperor in TOR and ROTJ.

In my opinion, it makes more sense that he was referring to Meetra Surik, the Jedi Exile, who also disappeared and became one with the force after being killed by Scourge.

• 1 month later...

Revan means to destroy the Sith Empire and their Emperor, but through means that parallel that of the Sith Emperor's means of destroying the galaxy: genocide.

Revan and the Emperor had a telepathic link to each other, draining off of each others' strength but also influencing each other. Revan said in Maelstrom Prison that he influenced the Emperor to go for peace against the Republic and the Jedi (Treaty of Coruscant), while the Emperor was clearly influencing him over those 300 years to be Darth Revan once again and use him as a tool for mass extermination across the galaxy. But Revan's mind and willpower is strong enough to push out the Emperor's mind effects, but as he is drained of strength, a part of the Emperor's influence goes to Revan's head.

In the Revan novel, Revan and the Emperor fight. The Emperor tries to control Revan's mind, but Revan blocks it and pushes his offensive (Evidence to Revan's willpower able to resist mind control) Revan is defeated by the Emperor and the Emperor commands Scourge to deal the killing blow, but then at the last second, the Emperor says "He can be of some use." So as the Emperor influenced Revan, he's trying to destroy the Emperor and his Empire but in a dark way. (Evidence to what I said about his influencing Revan to be a puppet for doing mass extinction)

In my opinion, it makes more sense that he was referring to Meetra Surik, the Jedi Exile, who also disappeared and became one with the force after being killed by Scourge.

That might be true, but I think the more probable context is referencing previous KOTOR games rather than a separate novel that not many people have read. So my guess would be reference to Malak.

And all else aside: Revan is dead. Good riddance.

Edited by Karkais

Did Malak also disappear in a flash of energy? Pretty sure he didn't and no, I'm not saying he's alive but the game doesn't exactly say that he's dead either.

What happens to one's corpse after his death is completely irrelevant. He said "And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing. Now I know how you felt my friend.". This certainly implies he knew he was going to die. Just how will "the game say he is dead"? Revan's last words implied death, you saw his corpse being consumed by dark energy and Malgus said you killed him. What else do you want?

I mean I know some stupid writer can always come with some idiotic idea to bring dead character back but, as of this moment, he is dead.

Edited by Path-x

What happens to one's corpse after his death is completely irrelevant. He said "And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing. Now i know how you felt my friend.". This certainly implies he knew he was going to die.
The flash of energy also implies death. Many powerful Force-sensitives die in a flash of light.

It is highly likely that Revan is indeed dead. His final words basically translate into: I'm and dying, bye now.

Edited by Beniboybling

What happens to one's corpse after his death is completely irrelevant. He said "And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing. Now I know how you felt my friend.". This certainly implies he knew he was going to die. Just how will "the game say he is dead"? Revan's last words implied death, you saw his corpse being consumed by dark energy and Malgus said you killed him. What else do you want?

I mean I know some stupid writer can always come with some idiotic idea to bring dead character back but, as of this moment, he is dead IMO.

Fixed it for you. No need to say thanks. You start to remind me those people who defend to the death that the Emperor is dead, when in-game information shows otherwise in numerous occasions.

In this case, concerning Revan, we can't know for sure. Just accept it, move on and don't be so extremist about it.

Fixed it for you. No need to say thanks. You start to remind me those people who defend to the death that the Emperor is dead, when in-game information shows otherwise in numerous occasions.

In this case, concerning Revan, we can't know for sure. Just accept it, move on and don't be so extremist about it.

Well technically Revan is dead. In-game sources has 'confirmed' this and none inside or outside universe sources have disputed this. So for all intensive purposes Revan is dead, just like Malgus and the Emperor.