Is the Cartel Market killing the need for crafting??

bayoudrummer

I have recently returned to SWTOR and the first thing I notice is the over saturation of cartel items being sold on the GTN. I feel that crafters are loosing the battle of making money in the GTN. For example, cybertechs can craft mounts but the ones that are available to craft are crap compared to the ones being sold from the Cartel Market. I guess I am just hoping BW makes crafting worth it after lvl 50. Please if you have a counter argument or if I am not seeing the big picture, let me know so I may feel a bit better about this.

When 1.6 was in the hopper, I was looking forward to crafting the new grade 7 spaceship parts. When 1.6 dropped to live, the spaceship parts were also added to the cartel market. Two things happened:

1) Anyone with spare cartel coins that wanted to run the space missions bought them on the CM.

2) Anyone with spare cash lying around bought extra spaceship parts and listed then on the GTN.

After about a day, it became impossible to craft and sell spaceship parts as the real-cash sellers were undercutting way below crafting cost.

In my experience, there are three ways to make money on crafting:

1. Craft grade 27 schematics (current BiS stuff)

2. Craft leveling equipment (level 10-45)

3. Sell raw mats.

Also, due to 2.0 being on the test server, the Grade 27 gear has taken quite a dive.

YMMV.

When 1.6 was in the hopper, I was looking forward to crafting the new grade 7 spaceship parts. When 1.6 dropped to live, the spaceship parts were also added to the cartel market. Two things happened:

1) Anyone with spare cartel coins that wanted to run the space missions bought them on the CM.

2) Anyone with spare cash lying around bought extra spaceship parts and listed then on the GTN.

After about a day, it became impossible to craft and sell spaceship parts as the real-cash sellers were undercutting way below crafting cost.

In my experience, there are three ways to make money on crafting:

1. Craft grade 27 schematics (current BiS stuff)

2. Craft leveling equipment (level 10-45)

3. Sell raw mats.

Also, due to 2.0 being on the test server, the Grade 27 gear has taken quite a dive.

YMMV.

You missed Augements :). I sell blue quality augments consistently and persistently (at about an average of 12k per) from both synthweaving and armormech (the four primary stats and defense). And I have made millions doing it. Not overnight by any stretch, but with patience it works.

And 2.0 is gonna be the nail in the coffin for crafting. Can't make the good raid gear (only with a decent profit margin). Just need an alt that can make your augments (all Power for Heals and DPS of course since Crit got hamstrung and shield/absorb for tanks.)

Enjoy Biochem.

Great so all the veterans rich from crafting pre-nerfs just have to move on and the new people from F2P are screwed... Oh wait, this encourages them to buy cartel packs for easy starting money and gives the vets things to blow money on. Great.

Great so all the veterans rich from crafting pre-nerfs just have to move on and the new people from F2P are screwed... Oh wait, this encourages them to buy cartel packs for easy starting money and gives the vets things to blow money on. Great.

How are f2p people screwed? You can still sell low level items for cash. People need to stop exaggerating information,

Don't forget about the 9-49 leveling bracket, you could make a bucket load of credits if you crafted all sorts of stuff and sold them for a reasonable price, like say at the price of the crafting x2.

Remember patience is a virtue, the main problem with the crew skills is not the crew skills themselves, but the players claiming them to be useless, maybe at endgame they are, but if you looked at the 9-49 area of the game, you will make alot more credits then you think.

but hey if you are just thinking of how many 0's you can put on your profit margin, then sure, its killed crafting.

I'd say that the 300k credit limit for F2P is a greater barrier than anything else.

A friend of mine is FTP, he learned the Deft Mod 27 schematic, and yet he can't sell it for more than 300k due to the limits. Your outrage is pointed in the wrong direction entirely.

I'd say that the 300k credit limit for F2P is a greater barrier than anything else.

A friend of mine is FTP, he learned the Deft Mod 27 schematic, and yet he can't sell it for more than 300k due to the limits. Your outrage is pointed in the wrong direction entirely.

Last time I checked EA/Bioware are in charge of both the cartel market and F2P limitations.

Last time I checked EA/Bioware are in charge of both the cartel market and F2P limitations.

Being angry at the Cartel Market affecting crafting I can understand.

Being angry at the Cartel Market affecting crafting for F2P'ers? I don't get it.

Don't forget about the 9-49 leveling bracket, you could make a bucket load of credits if you crafted all sorts of stuff and sold them for a reasonable price, like say at the price of the crafting x2.

Remember patience is a virtue, the main problem with the crew skills is not the crew skills themselves, but the players claiming them to be useless, maybe at endgame they are, but if you looked at the 9-49 area of the game, you will make alot more credits then you think.

but hey if you are just thinking of how many 0's you can put on your profit margin, then sure, its killed crafting.

i dunno how things work on ur server, but on our server, u cant get things sold at crafting price x2, that would mean that lvl 30 ish gear (mods, enhancements, or just plain gear/weapons) would cost around 50k just to cover the costs (costs in this case are calculated by looking up the prices of the mats on GTN...and since most of the tier 3/4 purple mats go for 10-15k a piece...good luck selling anything with a profit higher then selling off the mats)

i dunno how things work on ur server, but on our server, u cant get things sold at crafting price x2, that would mean that lvl 30 ish gear (mods, enhancements, or just plain gear/weapons) would cost around 50k just to cover the costs (costs in this case are calculated by looking up the prices of the mats on GTN...and since most of the tier 3/4 purple mats go for 10-15k a piece...good luck selling anything with a profit higher then selling off the mats)

True as far as purple mods and armorings are concerned. UT is the choke point there. If I were to upgrade my gear with purples every four levels or so, that would be about 60 UT purples. It is just too expensive so I am not sure how much of a market there is for the purple mods and armoring. As pointed out, at the cost of the mats, one would have to price things sky high to make a decent return.

I have a cargo hold full of the UT purples (three or four stacks of each level) and still level in blue quality gear. The difference in stats for gear that has to be constantly upgraded does not make sense for the cost. Also, going all blue while leveling makes you more than powerful enough to handle anything that comes your way. So I see no market or profitability there (although I see a lot of postings on the GTN), To make decent credits, you need to sell in quanity as well as each item at a decent profit unless you are selling level 27s at a million a crack. If anyone is making a killing in pre cap level purple mods and armorings, please chime in and let us know.

In a way I understand BWs thoughts. If the purple mods and armorings were "cheaper" to make and acquire everyone would be running around in them and somewhat overpowering content. On the other hand, by making each mod and armoring require four mats and then choking the supply of the mats through the poor UT mission offerings and returns, makes the purples cost so much that they are ironically worthless because most will not go that route.

------------

In a simple answer to the OP question, yes in many areas. My poor armormech is not crafting and selling much anymore. To add insult to injury he sits in the corner while I initially gear my guys (and companions) in moddable social and CM (real cheap for the ugly stuff) offerings, My poor characters look really ugly and downright stupid at first in that gear (thank goodness for hide head so you do not have to look at one piece of gear), but they are powerhouses (p2w? = adaptable modible cm). The garbage / cheap cm and social gear slowly gets replaced so that my guys and gals look good somewhere down the road.

In a simple answer to the OP question, yes in many areas. My poor armormech is not crafting and selling much anymore. To add insult to injury he sits in the corner while I initially gear my guys (and companions) in moddable social and CM (real cheap for the ugly stuff) offerings, My poor characters look really ugly and downright stupid at first in that gear (thank goodness for hide head so you do not have to look at one piece of gear), but they are powerhouses (p2w? = adaptable modible cm). The garbage / cheap cm and social gear slowly gets replaced so that my guys and gals look good somewhere down the road.

I first leveled a weaver, and other than augment kits and augs for my alt's he is the same. I can buy CM gear far cheaper than I can craft for my alts.

since i covered all the crewskills and objects for my chars i only bought materials on gtn..just a couple of lvl27 mods but not now due to 2.0

Most vets have done the same, having 4+ level 50's all with different crafts I buy mats when I see the price is right, otherwise I run my main, feed credits to the others, and keep them running for mats. As my main is a Sorc I leveld Weaving for the augments, than my first alt was Bio for exo stims to feed my main.