Sniper 2.0 PTS!

paowee

I am so disappointed. I also don't understand why they thought Engineering needed such a severe nerf. I don't think plasma probe is a good enough reason to run it in 2.0 in ranked.

Sad but true.

Since the bolster bug is running rampant atm (also guilty of abusing it lol), Ive been dueling a mara guildy in DK spaceport for a couple of hours now. He's no slouch and probably the best mara/sent on my server. So far it appears every tree is capable of beating each other, both as a sniper and a mara. I'm finding carnage considerably harder to win against in Engi (still possible, but no cake walk now) but fairs okay against anni and rage. Leth is of course tough in an open area and requires very sharp use of CC to beat any of the mara specs really (again, still possible though). MM in 2.0 is very forgiving in a 1v1 contest and clearly fairs the best against all the mara specs atm (especially anni).

Of course, this is in a 1v1 environment so take it at face value, i did also try to build a bit of a 3-way hybrid spec (see here) focusing on snares, slows, kockbacks and mitigation tallents but it proved much harder to use than i thought it would, nevertheless, it's food for theorycrafting.

Feel free to hit me up on the PTS server if you see me; My toon's name is Prooxxii

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should make the EMP mechanic more interesting. There are so many ways to improve it.

For example:

1. EMP itself deal a lot more damage.

2. EMP detonating an explosive probe on somebody conver the EP damage to AoE. You put it on a dude, knockbackhim into his team mates, boom.

3. EMPed target loses 15%-20% of their energy/force/rage/ammo.

There are so many missed opportunities with EMP.

Edited by NoTomorrow

They should make the EMP mechanic more interesting. There are so many ways to improve it.

For example:

1. EMP itself deal a lot more damage.

2. EMP detonating an explosive probe on somebody conver the EP damage to AoE. You put it on a dude, knockbackhim into his team mates, boom.

3. EMPed target loses 15%-20% of their energy/force/rage/ammo.

There are so many missed opportunities with EMP.

--Provides a 10 second buff that increases Engineer's range against that target to 60 and sniper no longer requires LOS to attack that target.

--Drops an instant OS on target's location.

Edited by stringcat

Look me up on the pts too Nex'ial on me slinger and Es'carlí <---- note the ctrl+alt+i í on my sniper.

I can understand why lethality would get that buffed shield because out of all of the specs lethality tends to be the one where you're moving around the most (i.e. can use cull out of cover). On the other hand for me the thing about engineering snipers was the combination of plasma probe and survivability so without that buffed shield.....

Wish they'd fix that damn bolster bug so could get some proper testing of the spec.

Made a post in the pts forums about engineering be good to get some thought going on there, if there are concerns about it then this forum isn't really the place.

Edited by BaineOs

Small tests on Covered Escape and would like some feeback to see if im right.

1. If you use covered escape and jump almoost at the same time (but jump always after covered escape) you will roll in the air and drop around the same spot. I've managed to do that a few times not sure if it was caused by lag (had around 130ms to 200ms at that moment, if confirmed is a way to drop all 5 charges from Engineer in the same spot for a nice bang ;)

2. This one I will still test but a guild member was NOT taking any fall damage on Soa phase transitions when using covered escape and dropping out of the plataforms. I have yet to test on falls as big as those but it seems that when you use Covered Escape you will take none/less fall damage. Need confirmation on that.

Small tests on Covered Escape and would like some feeback to see if im right.

1. If you use covered escape and jump almoost at the same time (but jump always after covered escape) you will roll in the air and drop around the same spot. I've managed to do that a few times not sure if it was caused by lag (had around 130ms to 200ms at that moment, if confirmed is a way to drop all 5 charges from Engineer in the same spot for a nice bang ;)

2. This one I will still test but a guild member was NOT taking any fall damage on Soa phase transitions when using covered escape and dropping out of the plataforms. I have yet to test on falls as big as those but it seems that when you use Covered Escape you will take none/less fall damage. Need confirmation on that.

There is an elevator near the entrance of HM Cademimu where I accidentally Covered Escape into and I fell several hundreds of feet down. Needless to say it was a FATAL fall. Perhaps it can reduce fall damage with some complicated mouse maneuvering/clicking but I can not confirm that yet.

Also I like how you roll into the direction your IN-GAME CAMERA/SCREEN is facing. :)

Edited by paowee

@Express

I know how much of a MM fanboy you are, so i thought i would let you know that i have been dueling in kass space port, it is awesome.

The burst is absolutely ridiculous, the roll is amazing against PTs and Jugs, the 30 stealth is crazy too, dueling and i see a concealment 20m away clear as day.

We can also use some more PVP updates from the PTS!

e.g. is the Sniper able to be Force Charged during the roll? We know that the Sniper is immune after the roll which is when he gets into cover, but how about during the actual rolling itself? According to the tooltip: "While rolling, defense is greatly increased and any movement-impairing effects are broken." Force Charged is affected by defense since it is a melee attack (can be parried/dodged. The charge will push through but there will be no damage like Charging a Sin with Evasion up). This rouses more questions than answers. How about a Sin's Force Pull, which is a force ability (and can only be resisted). Can a Sin pull a rolling sniper?

I am sure you guys can find out more! I will put a PVP section in the OP as soon as we get some PVP findings from the PTS.

2.0 TALENT TREE CALCULATOR

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sniper/235/

Edited by paowee

e.g. is the Sniper able to be Force Charged during the roll? We know that the Sniper is immune after the roll which is when he gets into cover, but how about during the actual rolling itself? According to the tooltip: "While rolling, defense is greatly increased and any movement-impairing effects are broken." Force Charged is affected by defense since it is a melee attack (can be parried/dodged. The charge will push through but there will be no damage like Charging a Sin with Evasion up). This rouses more questions than answers. How about a Sin's Force Pull, which is a force ability (and can only be resisted). Can a Sin pull a rolling sniper?

I am sure you guys can find out more! I will put a PVP section in the OP as soon as we get some PVP findings from the PTS.

I'm trying to get more data on PvP, but with the bolster bug, it's impossible to test anything except the spawn gate timer, even when I'm bugged, lol. 4 bugged people on my one bugged self = instasplat.

But I'll try some duels against these classes and see how it goes.

Edited by Jekan

@Express

I know how much of a MM fanboy you are, so i thought i would let you know that i have been dueling in kass space port, it is awesome.

The burst is absolutely ridiculous, the roll is amazing against PTs and Jugs, the 30 stealth is crazy too, dueling and i see a concealment 20m away clear as day.

Stop making me salivate you b@stard.

Yesterday I tested many things, mostly it was stealth, but when I was dueling, a PT flipped his **** when I resisted his pull, also when I was fighting a veng jug, he never jumped to me while rolling, it is possible it never let him (even when I know he hadn't used the jump yet)(he used intercede right when duel started to close gap LOL!).

The scoundrel/operative roll increases your "defense chance" on the character sheet by 30%. I can't copy my sniper over (sigh) but I'm assuming it's the same. It'll be easy for anyone to confirm, just have your character sheet open before you start the roll and you'll see the defense chance change. Edited by Rigsta

Updated the OP for more clarity. Also http://www.twitch.tv/canefanatic777/b/369573995 is streaming. Watch 2.0 Sniper PvP on the PTS.

Thanks for the shout-out. Unfortunately I have not been streaming or playing WZs on the PTS for obvious reasons. Ive have been practicing the new MM rotation on dummies and dueling on DK hangar but thats about it. I will deff stream more when bolster is fixed!

Thanks for the shout-out. Unfortunately I have not been streaming or playing WZs on the PTS for obvious reasons. Ive have been practicing the new MM rotation on dummies and dueling on DK hangar but thats about it. I will deff stream more when bolster is fixed!

HEY its freeman!

Ok so my buddy read on the forums the the stealth is a cone in front of the sniper, the sides are hindered.

After some testing, the info seems legit.

Using a 7/3/36 lethality build with extra ambush armor penetration, extra accuracy. Stat allocation is All Power, No crit, Only surge was on earpiece and Pvp Relic. (This is not my main so I don't have DG Relic) Alacrity is 216, accuracy is 99.97% ranged with companion buff. All buffs, No stim, Only augments in relics, random armor penetration due to mercs coming in and out, in a rather laggy fleet.

http://www.torparse.com/a/141311

2nd from top

Using a 5/18/23 hybrid build. I obviously screwed up on the build. I know 7/16/23 would be better. Testing that tomorrow. Stats are constant. Still random merc heat signatures and random lag

Last from bottom

http://www.torparse.com/a/141331

Edited by bbare

I can verify the covered escape roll forward causes no damage when rolling from the top into the pit off huttball. I can also confirm you can roll through fire with no damage....though the first couple of tries I wasn't quite close enough and turned into Crispy Chiss.

I can verify the covered escape roll forward causes no damage when rolling from the top into the pit off huttball. I can also confirm you can roll through fire with no damage....though the first couple of tries I wasn't quite close enough and turned into Crispy Chiss.

Hmm i found that i took fire damage as i rolled through the fire and acid pits... Can someone else confirm the above?

Also, if you haven't figured it out yet (haven't read all posts in this thread), covered escape roll direction is based on your camera direction, not your characters direction or your movement direction.

Furthermore, strafing to the side and trying to roll seems to cause a "movementless" roll, which will be good for stacking your cluster-bomb trail when talented in the Engi tree

Hmm i found that i took fire damage as i rolled through the fire and acid pits... Can someone else confirm the above?

Also, if you haven't figured it out yet (haven't read all posts in this thread), covered escape roll direction is based on your camera direction, not your characters direction or your movement direction.

Furthermore, strafing to the side and trying to roll seems to cause a "movementless" roll, which will be good for stacking your cluster-bomb trail when talented in the Engi tree

Could not repeat your strafing + covered escape. Only way I can get a "movementless" roll is by using covered escape and then jumping.

Still trying to confirm the fall damage, but it seems it only works on small fall damages

i am afraid they are going to nerf us before 2.0 goes live. mainly , as a MM sniper, i can keep a full rotation, using FT after every other move (or 2 with snipe), and my energy doesn't ever run the risk of running out. with the use of our OFFENSIVE cooldowns, its very easy to never run out of energy, regardless if we're left alone or if someone decides we're a threat to be reckoned with.

I also did some parsing

Full MM 36/5/5 did ~2000 dps

Full Lethality 5/5/36 did ~2100 dps

Leth/Eng Hybrid 5/16/25 did ~2200dps

I "missed" 2-3 FT in MM rotation so it might come little higher.

All builds were impossible to run low in energy, for me at least.

Seems that all specs are very close on each other, which is nice.

Gear is same in all builds, did use lvl 50 ship dummy

i am afraid they are going to nerf us before 2.0 goes live. mainly , as a MM sniper, i can keep a full rotation, using FT after every other move (or 2 with snipe), and my energy doesn't ever run the risk of running out. with the use of our OFFENSIVE cooldowns, its very easy to never run out of energy, regardless if we're left alone or if someone decides we're a threat to be reckoned with.

SHHH poppycock, (don't tell anyone)

all i got from this post was "fsdfhksdjfhsalkdf post deleted"