A New Class: Is It Still Possible In SWTOR?

Ylliarus

As the title says, it's a topic I am very curious about. Basically I'd like to know whether people here still believe it would be possible for SWTOR to follow suit with the other MMO's and introduce a new class, or whether under current circumstances it's something impossible or unlikely.

Looking at other MMO's like ESO, Guild Wars or WoW, all three games had an additional class added after some time and from what I have seen and heard it's worked beneficially for each of those games. But this year SWTOR will exist for 7 years and in all that time there has been no new class added, while ESO added the Warden class relatively quickly (I am not sure whether for Guild Wars and WoW that has also been the case). It's also something that seems to be heavily requested and would be a popular addition into the game, I wager. KotFE could have been the perfect opportunity for the game to add a new class, two perhaps even, namely the Zakuul Knight and Scion of Zakuul, one being melee-focused and the other Force-focused. But sadly we didn't get such a thing and the question is whether a new class being added to the game is something that is still feasible.

In theory the 6.0 expansion with its return to the Empire vs Republic storyline could be an opportunity for a new class to be added into the game. For example, this is how I would envision the new class:

- 1 new class with mirrors on both the Republic and Empire side.

- The new class could be Sith Alchemist and Jedi Seer.

- The class could have 3 specialization trees, one Tank, one Healer and one DPS.

- Combat with this class would be focused around summoning Sithspawn as Sith Alchemist and animals as Jedi Seer. So you'd be able to summon ominous tentacles from the ground (as Alchemist) or tree/plantroots (as Seer) to do damage or command Sithspawn/animals to do damage over time, heal or tank etc etc. Perhaps you'd be able to compare this class to the Warden in ESO somewhat.

- The class would start at level 50 with a brief class story entailing how you become a prominent figure in the Galactic Republic or Sith Empire, it could start with you already having been a Jedi Knight or Sith Lord.

- After you'd finish your brief class story you'd continue with the story that comes with 6.0, meaning that this class would never have been the Outlander or been part of RotHC, SoR, KotFE and KotET. It's difficult namely to go back and restructure previous story to fit with the new class and new references to your brief class story. It would be easier if the story was simply continued with 6.0 with this class simply never being referred to as Alliance Commander or having been part of previous storylines, instead any references made being to your brief class story.

Naturally, this is only my view on how a new class could be handled, I bet that there are even more effective or better ways. It's also no suggestion of how the devs should go about it if they do ever consider adding a new class, it's just my personal perspective, nothing more.

But I'd like to hear what other people think: can a new class still appear in Star Wars The Old Republic or has the game long passed that station and it's too late now?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wanted to be a Jedi to summon trees on ground.

Well, summoning whole trees might be somewhat overkill, but using like a treeroot to smack an enemy or plantroot would be feasible! You have those tentacles on Oricon for example (and in various other places as well of course) :)

Well, summoning whole trees might be somewhat overkill, but using like a treeroot to smack an enemy or plantroot would be feasible! You have those tentacles on Oricon for example (and in various other places as well of course) :)

Every time I see these Oricon Tentacles I ask myself "Am I still playing Star Wars game?" :D

Not sure about the Jedi mirror class, but here's my idea for a new Sith class : a sort of necromancer able to not only summon the dead but also use all sorts of abominations as a second companion for a limited time.

That would fit the Sith Alchemist quite well, as they can use the Dark Side to reanimate the dead or control abominations etc :) it would be more difficult to create a mirror class for the Jedi, but I guess you could have the Jedi summon animals and such through Animal bond: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Animal_bond

Every time I see these Oricon Tentacles I ask myself "Am I still playing Star Wars game?" :D

Well, it's perfectly Star Wars, if you ask me! Sith Alchemist are able to conjure up such things, it's all possible through the Force :) or use the Dark Side to twist treeroots into becoming Sithspawn. Fits Star Wars perfectly!

Edited by Ylliarus

Both sides should have the ability to resurrect people or animals , but for different reasons : the Sith wants a supernatural slave, the Jedi wants to save the innocent person or animal killed by a big bad boogeyman. Of course, this could go wrong on some many levels !

Both sides should have the ability to resurrect people or animals , but for different reasons : the Sith wants a supernatural slave, the Jedi wants to save the innocent person or animal killed by a big bad boogeyman. Of course, this could go wrong on some many levels !

True enough!

But how it would be implemented isn't the sole issue, the main question of this thread is whether a new class would still be possible/feasible within SWTOR or whether it's too late by now for something like that?

True enough!

But how it would be implemented isn't the sole issue, the main question of this thread is whether a new class would still be possible/feasible within SWTOR or whether it's too late by now for something like that?

This is a difficult question , not sure what to say. A new class introduced in an years old game is nothing new, for example Kamael in Lineage II, Beorning & High Elf in LOTRO, Nightshade in PWI. Still, this is Star Wars, a new class would be quite difficult to create , not because of lore but because of the player base, each person wants something different.

This is a difficult question , not sure what to say. A new class introduced in an years old game is nothing new, for example Kamael in Lineage II, Beorning & High Elf in LOTRO, Nightshade in PWI. Still, this is Star Wars, a new class would be quite difficult to create , not because of lore but because of the player base, each person wants something different.

Another complication would also be the heavy story focus of the game. So far every single class has a unique and amazing story. If the devs were to ever add a new class, players would expect a new storyline for that class as well.

Let's say 6.0 would could come with a new class, that would mean they'd have to create 2 storylines, one for the continuation of the main SWTOR narrative and 1 extra for a new class. With the current size of the dev team it will be an accomplishment already if they will release a new story like RotHC or SoR.

Another complication would also be the heavy story focus of the game. So far every single class has a unique and amazing story. If the devs were to ever add a new class, players would expect a new storyline for that class as well.

Let's say 6.0 would could come with a new class, that would mean they'd have to create 2 storylines, one for the continuation of the main SWTOR narrative and 1 extra for a new class. With the current size of the dev team it will be an accomplishment already if they will release a new story like RotHC or SoR.

How about a new class able To be unlocked during or after 6.0? It could have something to do with the deceased Darth Marr and one of his apprentices, Talos Drellik's sith brother ( for example) .

There is no way to integrate this new class into the main SWTOR narrative because of many aspects, one of them being companions.

There was always the excuse that they can't because of story line which I understand but at this point it wouldn't bother me if the class gets a story or not i'd just be happy with any sort of new class even a 4th new spec for some classes i'd take lol and if they wanted a story then i guess you'd need voice actors but screw paying bulk to get actors just get eric or charles to do the voices or even keith lol

- 1 new class with mirrors on both the Republic and Empire side.

- The new class could be Sith Alchemist and Jedi Seer.

- The class could have 3 specialization trees, one Tank, one Healer and one DPS.

- Combat with this class would be focused around summoning Sithspawn as Sith Alchemist and animals as Jedi Seer. So you'd be able to summon ominous tentacles from the ground (as Alchemist) or tree/plantroots (as Seer) to do damage or command Sithspawn/animals to do damage over time, heal or tank etc etc. Perhaps you'd be able to compare this class to the Warden in ESO somewhat.

- The class would start at level 50 with a brief class story entailing how you become a prominent figure in the Galactic Republic or Sith Empire, it could start with you already having been a Jedi Knight or Sith Lord.

- After you'd finish your brief class story you'd continue with the story that comes with 6.0, meaning that this class would never have been the Outlander or been part of RotHC, SoR, KotFE and KotET. It's difficult namely to go back and restructure previous story to fit with the new class and new references to your brief class story. It would be easier if the story was simply continued with 6.0 with this class simply never being referred to as Alliance Commander or having been part of previous storylines, instead any references made being to your brief class story.

I like this idea - it's creating something similar to a hero class like the DKs and DHs in WoW. Someone recently suggested a scenario in which we start a new race story at level 50 so a new class story at this level should also work (I've looked but can't find it). I like the idea of having a new force using character and I'd love it if they can choose their crew companions and LI from a whole new set of NPCs or famous classic NPCs/companions, rather than be stuck with someone we don't like (I'm looking at that **** Skadge). The new class companion set would need to be a minimum of 8 as we can send 8 on crew skills (or higher if this is increased in 6.0).

I don't know anything other than the basics of swtor/star wars lore however Ylliarus - are there any precedents for the class skills you suggest? Can the force be manipulated/controlled (sith) to create/command creatures or bonded with (jedi) to bring forth roots/trees?

If they do it, my new Sith's ship better be this :D And one of my choice of companions better be this

The necromancer Sith is a neat idea, I like that very much. I've always thought having an SIS agent for the Republic would be a neat new one to have too.

Is it possible for a new class? maybe? It's just a matter of money and making it happen, but I don't know how much money they make, or how much money a new class requires to create. Optimistically if they put up really neat things on the market, I'd like to think they could raise it, but it's also EA I think that has to approve it and would those money grubbing tight fisters let us have something new? Plenty of unanswered ifs...

I'd love it if they can choose their crew companions and LI from a whole new set of NPCs or famous classic NPCs/companions, rather than be stuck with someone we don't like (I'm looking at that **** Skadge). The new class companion set would need to be a minimum of 8 as we can send 8 on crew skills (or higher if this is increased in 6.0).

This would be great, since almost every single player hates Skadge . We have now like literally 40 companions? I'm sure everyone can find 8 to be his crewmates for a new class. Personally i would chose : Akaavi, Torian, Shae, Theron, Zenith, Andronikos & maybe, just maybe Xalek ( or Ashara).

Possible, yes. Money does a lot.

Probable...no.

^^ /thread for all practical purposes.

They have never added a new class in the almost 7 years the game has been in release.. and it is pretty obvious as to why.

It is actually a more difficult thing to do with this MMO vs most others... due to the very core nature of class in the vanilla leveling and story arcs.

If classes in this MMO simply leveled on generic mission sets with a new set of skills and perhaps gear requirements... it would be pretty straightforward to add a new class and it's mirror.

The very nature of how classes and their story (which is a key element of every class) was approached in SWTOR effectively made the ability to add new classes much more difficult to do. And if they added an new class without all the story uniqueness and integration we have all become accustomed to for the classes ... there would be much complaining and gnashing of teeth by players. Why set yourself up for that kind of headache with players when you have enough headaches as it is?

Edited by Andryah

Possible, yes. Money does a lot.

Probable...no.

pretty much. if it were to happen though it'd probably be one class that would be the exact same thing for both factions, same name and all. Probably have some small origin story with the choice of faction at end

Not sure if we'll ever get new classes but some new specs would be cool.

I've always wanted something like Count Dooku for sorc or assassin, A duelist who uses finesse instead of brute strength and uses a bit of lightning and other abilities (although really I could have this if they just let me use a single saber on assassins.)

No. The way each class has it's own vanilla story... no. No way they'll make another class story. They struggle with stories between flashpoints. If they made a new class it would have to be something post vanilla without a story which would severely limit what you could do with it.

I like your idea for a new class. I am all for it. But I feel that if a new class gets added, they would need to ad two. One force class and a non force class. Think about it. If one of those got implemented and the other not, how would the "community" act? I personally wouldn't care, I would gladly play any class. I think if you were going to bring something in like what you were saying with the summoning and animals, extend it to the non force class and make like a beast-master/trainer type class. I would play the crap out of that.

Not sure about the Jedi mirror class, but here's my idea for a new Sith class : a sort of necromancer able to not only summon the dead but also use all sorts of abominations as a second companion for a limited time.

Jedi Mirror class could be the Beastmaster.

All The Best