A New Class: Is It Still Possible In SWTOR?

Ylliarus

No. The way each class has it's own vanilla story... no. No way they'll make another class story. They struggle with stories between flashpoints. If they made a new class it would have to be something post vanilla without a story which would severely limit what you could do with it.

Which is indeed one of the main reasons why it would be very difficult for the devs to add a new class. You could potentially do something post-vanilla, a brief class story that gets you to know the character and then continue with the main story that will be introduced in 6.0. But the problem with that is that you'll have 8 classes that have been the Outlander/Alliance Commander and 1 class that wouldn't have been. I admit it's easier to keep up with something like that in a new story rather than retroactively add stuff, but it might require more resources than Bioware has at the moment.

A possible solution would be maybe to add a 3d Advanced Class to one of the main classes we have already. Take the idea I posted in the OP for example, the Sith Alchemist and Jedi Seer could be an advanced class of the Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular respectively.

Yet the issue with that is which of the 8 classes do you favour with an additional Advanced Class? On top of that, if they'd add an additional Advanced Class to one of the main classes, would the devs eventually have to add additional Advanced Classes for the others as well?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

add a 3d Advanced Class to one of the main classes we have already. Take the idea I posted in the OP for example, the Sith Alchemist and Jedi Seer could be an advanced class of the Sith Inquisitor and Jedi Consular respectively.

I guess you don’t play Consular much because there is already Jedi Seer, it’s the heal spec. Given the way companions work, a Beastmaster or Undead summoner doesn’t really work either. When you add in the factors of time to create two fully cinematic voiced over vanilla class stories I’d say this has no chance.

I’d rather they work on content that all classes can enjoy, than make a pair of new classes that you’ll have to level up to 70, then level through GC rank 300, then progress through KOTFE/KOTET/Traitor storyline, etc.

I like everything that has been stated in this thread, I agree that it's unlikely, but probable assuming 2019 rejuvenises the game. I do have a question, though, and admittedly I'm not a lore person so excuse me ignorance. But, necromancy sounds pretty similar to Darth Plagues's schtick? So, I'm just wondering if that wouldn't be the best path to take any, potential "hypothetical" new class?

alchemist i can see being added as an advanced class to the SI, in much the same way i can see Jedi General and Sith Commander going to the JK and SW.

i can see possibilities for new classes like imperial soldier and republic spy. The imperial solider does a similar thing to the republic soldier, the republic spy also does the same to the imperial spy, only a lot less shady in dark dealings.

having the perfect mirroring of classes and knowing how these sides view their conflicts gives a greater insight in the warfront.

Edited by Celise

I wouldn't mind seeing a non force using melee character, using the old "throwaway" weapons, force pikes, electrostaves, and so on.

An old game I use to play, Mortal Kombat influenced, was Masters of Terras Kasi. This non force using martial art was hinted at in Rogue One, with the blind member of the Church of the force, and verified in Han Solo Story.

So, Instead of yet another Jedi or Sith class, why not have the Terras Kasi Monk start at Level 50, on its own unique planet, choosing it's faction at the end of the area as the climax of the story?

The counterpart to this, since the classes seem to be done in two's, could steal an idea from a couple of posters ago on this thread, and intorduce the Terras Kasi Beastmaster.

Edited by LordRapheus
had new addition to my idea

If they got rid of PVP (no longer need to worry so much about balance) then yes, this might be possible. Not likely even under this impossible circumstance though.

What would be more feasible I think would be to make specializations more "heavy duty, " particularly at higher levels. They will more aggressively alter the base AC, adding more abilities than the paltry number we currently get with more drastic and divergent affects. Many of these could be replacement abilities to keep ability bloat down. With a pass through the specializations to make some of them more distinct and interesting and this might be a good compromise that would not drastically increase balance requirements. Would also be a good time to replace some of the more boring animations with better animated stuff. Looking at you pebble storm.

Not that I think this will ever happen either.

Edited by MadDutchman

I'd rather just have more specs. Still craving a melee consular who uses a single blade lightsaber!

Would love it more if the spec kept the project attack, because I love that attack and always disappointed when I lose it (and lighting shock on inquisitor) for a lightsaber force attack.

No reason it can't be a bit of a copy of another melee spec in game with different animations to keep it pretty simple to balance.

I'd rather just have more specs. Still craving a melee consular who uses a single blade lightsaber!

Would love it more if the spec kept the project attack, because I love that attack and always disappointed when I lose it (and lighting shock on inquisitor) for a lightsaber force attack.

No reason it can't be a bit of a copy of another melee spec in game with different animations to keep it pretty simple to balance.

Tbh, if there was to be a new class then I feel it would indeed be an extra Advanced Class like that, because doing an entirely new class seems unfeasible due to the fact the classes are so closely tied to story as well.

I guess you don’t play Consular much because there is already Jedi Seer, it’s the heal spec.

Oh I know it's a spec of the Jedi Sage, no worries ;) but to be frank the fact that spec is called Jedi Seer instead of Jedi Healer has always bothered me from a lore perspective, because a Jedi Seer is something completely else. Let me show you:

Jedi Seer – Those Jedi specifically predisposed to receive visions through the Force were known as Seers, maintaining and updating the Order's holocrons. The most perceptive of these Jedi were known as Prophets and foretold the future of the galaxy.

Jedi healer – Some Jedi would focus on the more humanitarian aspects of the Force, manipulating the Living Force to perform the art of healing. Led by the Circle of Jedi Healers and headquartered out of the Coruscant Temple's Halls of Healing, healers were also deployed to serve aboard MedStar frigates and, occasionally, in Republic's mobile surgical units, or Rimsoos.

You can find further information on the Jedi specializations here btw, as I copy pasted the above bits from Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi/Legends#Specialization

Would you mind elaborating why you believe it wouldn't be probable, I'm curious! :) exchanging such thoughts is after all what I hoped for with this thread!

It's tied into the difference between "possible" and "feasible".

All feasible things are possible. Some possible things are not feasible.

A feasible thing is something that's possible (i.e. it can be built / made / done) with the additional stipulation that the cost of doing it is *reasonable*.

The definition of "reasonable" in the above is highly subjective, and it's a really good idea to understand / define what you are seeking from a new class (more accurately, a pair of classes, or even a "quad" of classes(1)) before you can begin to evaluate it.

So, if we are seeking another class like the existing ones, with a starter planet, class story, and so on, the cost will be significantly higher than if we have a Death Knight style "start at 60 at KotFE" or even "start at 70 on Ossus" class, which in turn would (probably) be more expensive than adding a third (advanced) class to each class pair.(2)

So:

* "Is it possible?" Of course.

* "Is it feasible?":

** New base class(es): expensive as [REDACTED] owing to the large amount of writing, VA work, planet design, etc. required. Probably not feasible.

** Death Knight class(es): less costly, since there's less of all that stuff required. The feasibility is subject to debate, but I'd vote for "marginal at best".

** New advanced classes in the existing structures: less costly still, with no new story and no new planets and no new VA work. This is probably, if taken in isolation, feasible, but part of the cost resides in how it interacts with and affects (a) other work in progress and (b) existing parts of the game such as PvP balance, and that part of the cost will be significant (regardless of the option chosen), and puts the feasibility in doubt.

(1) One base class per faction, two (advanced) classes per base class, total of four.

(2) Adding a third advanced class to each pair requires little more than the design of three disciplines per pair, then two sets of animations (Imp and Pub), ability names and so on per discipline. No new dialogue recordings are needed, and no new internal structures are needed to support "70-only" classes.

Tera Kasi would be the perfect class. IMO. Or something like an Engineer that can build turrets and other offensive/defensive weaponry. Maybe Creature Handler, tames animals and uses them to fight, etc. I doubt they add a new class because they really don't invest much into this game which is apparent over its 7+ years. But it would be cool.

It's tied into the difference between "possible" and "feasible".

All feasible things are possible. Some possible things are not feasible.

A feasible thing is something that's possible (i.e. it can be built / made / done) with the additional stipulation that the cost of doing it is *reasonable*.

The definition of "reasonable" in the above is highly subjective, and it's a really good idea to understand / define what you are seeking from a new class (more accurately, a pair of classes, or even a "quad" of classes(1)) before you can begin to evaluate it.

So, if we are seeking another class like the existing ones, with a starter planet, class story, and so on, the cost will be significantly higher than if we have a Death Knight style "start at 60 at KotFE" or even "start at 70 on Ossus" class, which in turn would (probably) be more expensive than adding a third (advanced) class to each class pair.(2)

So:

* "Is it possible?" Of course.

* "Is it feasible?":

** New base class(es): expensive as [REDACTED] owing to the large amount of writing, VA work, planet design, etc. required. Probably not feasible.

** Death Knight class(es): less costly, since there's less of all that stuff required. The feasibility is subject to debate, but I'd vote for "marginal at best".

** New advanced classes in the existing structures: less costly still, with no new story and no new planets and no new VA work. This is probably, if taken in isolation, feasible, but part of the cost resides in how it interacts with and affects (a) other work in progress and (b) existing parts of the game such as PvP balance, and that part of the cost will be significant (regardless of the option chosen), and puts the feasibility in doubt.

(1) One base class per faction, two (advanced) classes per base class, total of four.

(2) Adding a third advanced class to each pair requires little more than the design of three disciplines per pair, then two sets of animations (Imp and Pub), ability names and so on per discipline. No new dialogue recordings are needed, and no new internal structures are needed to support "70-only" classes.

I absolutely see what you're saying and agree with that, aye.

I'd add there is even a second layer of difficulty, because getting a new class (for example adding new specs to the existing base classes) is all fine and good but the balancing in PvP might prove to be troublesome. Because in all these 7 years SWTOR has existed the classes frequently had balancing problems and that's only with the 16 classes (8 classes x 2 specs).

So while I'd absolutely adore to see a new class, I myself am doubtful about it happening. The ideal version would be to get a new class with a new story but that's something we can only dream about at most.

Edited by Ylliarus

Just as the Devs were making this game and launch, a lot of us from SWG and that knew the Star Wars lore, suggested the Teras Kasi- Melee class, as any faction can use that without destroying the lore. I think if any new class can make it it would be the Teras Kasi-Melee classes with the Unarmed trees with it.

Just as the Devs were making this game and launch, a lot of us from SWG and that knew the Star Wars lore, suggested the Teras Kasi- Melee class, as any faction can use that without destroying the lore. I think if any new class can make it it would be the Teras Kasi-Melee classes with the Unarmed trees with it.

TK was what I played on my main (before I unlocked Jedi) on Flurry in SWG. I think an unarmed melee class would be great in SWTOR.

This sounds more like Lotro than swtor, but then so did kotfe :rolleyes:

Still it could make sense since SWTOR is based of fantasy , not on Sci-Fi. Sure, we have Fury-class Interceptors, dreadnaughts, blaster pistols. But we also have unnaturally preserved beasts ( Beast of Vodal Kresh, Beast of Marka Ragnos), God-like sith ( Tenebrae becoming Vitiate becoming Valkorion - what if Valky is actually Snoke, lol) and other magic stuff.

Edited by bluehufsa

Still it could make sense since SWTOR is based of fantasy , not on Sci-Fi. Sure, we have Fury-class Interceptors, dreadnaughts, blaster pistols. But we also have unnaturally preserved beasts ( Beast of Vodal Kresh, Beast of Marka Ragnos), God-like sith ( Tenebrae becoming Vitiate becoming Valkorion - what if Valky is actually Snoke, lol) and other magic stuff.

Star Wars actually isn't Sci-Fi officially, because officially the franchise is space/science fantasy. So all that stuff sounds perfectly Star Wars-y to me :D

Edited by Ylliarus

didja ever notice whenever I post something the discussion stops?

Ever notice when I post I disappear for 3 days, 1 week, or 3 months?

I have the opposite problem to you, I'm the only one who stops being able to discuss things.

The Forum Gods have no have no sense of humor. :D

Don't sweat it yo, you get use to it.

TK was what I played on my main (before I unlocked Jedi) on Flurry in SWG. I think an unarmed melee class would be great in SWTOR.

Hey, I had a few characters on Flurry to, heheh.I had so many characters from so many servers.

Adamos Milos and Mandalore and Mand Jendi. A Teras Kasi/ Kung fu type of Class would be nice.

Edited by MandFlurry

Because than the ranged classes would have less options to choose from than the melee classes. That would be like making a melee Merc.

You can't one one melee spec and one ranged spec on the same class. They design of the classes themselves are effected by that dynamnic, and you can't change base abilities a class has just for the sake of one of it's specs.

For example -

Give me a Madness or Lighting sorc who just stands there and takes it with the present defensive's the class has its gonna get ripped to shreds pretty fast because it's not built for that sort of combat. Going toe to toe with light armor as a melee who doesn't have stealth abilities against melee specific classes like Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight you'd get decimated pretty fast. Can't kite and be a melee because than you're not doing your job. If a melee can't hit you because you are kiting them than you can't hit them either.

You need to consider the base class issues which really couldn't be solved save for changing the entire class to a new design as a melee class. That would result in the loss of a ranged class and a greater representation of melee classes.

Like right now you have a 5% greater defense chance than melee do right out of the gate. You DCDs would be extremely inefficient because they are not designed for melee combat [ unlike mercs and snipers hehs which is exactly why they are a problem A ranged class shouldn't be good in toe to toe combat, that's why their is kiting.

You'd also be losing uptime as a melee compared to a ranged, contrary to what ranged players say because they don't want to get nerfed more. That would necessitate a new playstyle than people are use too playing in that spec.

While Warrior and Jedi Knight classes have better direct combat skills [which makes sense] they aren't as good with the Force as Consular and Inquisitors are. They are stronger in the force than them and they have more force abilities as a result.

For example I play a Carnage Marauder and you have very little that is really direct force use in combat [Force Choke/ Force attacks]. Out of all the attacks you use playing them there is only one Force attack they use regularly. Force Choke and force Leap while, ethnically are attacks, they do so little damage it's barely worth mentioning. You use Force Choke as a CC and Force Leap as a gap closer. Once you in close, you're not using Force Leap again..

Assassins and Shadows are a more de finely even spread of melee combat attacks and Force use. I'd liken them to something like a "Fighter/Magic User" in DnD. Sorcs and Sages are more like the Wizards and Clerics, and Sith Warriors and Jedi Knights are like the Fighters and Paladins.

Even still, I do have to agree that it is utterly asanine to give a class a Lightsaber and expect them not to want to use it. What kind of madness is that? You don't make a Lightsaber nothing more than a stat stick and expect people to be ok with never using it really.

I think a more realistic approach considering all the mechanics and designs of the classes would be to change one ranged attack they have to a melee attack that can be used either up close or 10' feet away as a saber throw. It wouldn't even have to do a lot of damage just as long as it wasn't a DPS loss to use it sometimes. That sacrifices only one present attack for an attack that can be used close in or at a distance. Obviously you wouldn't want to be using it very often as a melee attack as being close in and toe to toe as Sorc/Sage comes with risks that they are really not intended for overall. You can make the ranged version do a bit more damage than the melee version and save melee uses for when you are under the gun and find yourself close in.

I know that's not really what you are looking for, in fact I know some other dude in the game that feels similarly to you as he wants one of the Sorc specs to be made more melee and in the spirit of Count Dooku's fighting style.

Unfortunately it really wouldn't be a good idea in the extreme sense because of the many design problems and preponderance of more more melee specs than ranged. That's why I made the above suggestion. It wouldn't be the end all for you, I know that, but at least it would make it not so totally friggen stupid that a force user with a lightsaber never uses it like now and would sometimes afford you the opportunity to use the saber at least sometimes in combat.

Maybe try a melee class to see, maybe you'll find it enough for you to enjoy, even if not the ideal you would hope for.

To get back to the OP's question, IMHO the ship has sailed for that. Given that we know the game has very limited resources right now, I'd rather that every bit of it be poured into enhancing what exists. In terms of the classes, for instance, even if they can't do 8 stories again, maybe they can work on giving each class more individualized lines and mini quests like SoR; and bringing back companion conversations.

Because than the ranged classes would have less options to choose from than the melee classes. That would be like making a melee Merc.

You can't one one melee spec and one ranged spec on the same class. They design of the classes themselves are effected by that dynamnic, and you can't change base abilities a class has just for the sake of one of it's specs.

For example -

Give me a Madness or Lighting sorc who just stands there and takes it with the present defensive's the class has its gonna get ripped to shreds pretty fast because it's not built for that sort of combat. Going toe to toe with light armor as a melee who doesn't have stealth abilities against melee specific classes like Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight you'd get decimated pretty fast. Can't kite and be a melee because than you're not doing your job. If a melee can't hit you because you are kiting them than you can't hit them either.

You need to consider the base class issues which really couldn't be solved save for changing the entire class to a new design as a melee class. That would result in the loss of a ranged class and a greater representation of melee classes.

Like right now you have a 5% greater defense chance than melee do right out of the gate. You DCDs would be extremely inefficient because they are not designed for melee combat [ unlike mercs and snipers hehs which is exactly why they are a problem A ranged class shouldn't be good in toe to toe combat, that's why their is kiting.

You'd also be losing uptime as a melee compared to a ranged, contrary to what ranged players say because they don't want to get nerfed more. That would necessitate a new playstyle than people are use too playing in that spec.

While Warrior and Jedi Knight classes have better direct combat skills [which makes sense] they aren't as good with the Force as Consular and Inquisitors are. They are stronger in the force than them and they have more force abilities as a result.

For example I play a Carnage Marauder and you have very little that is really direct force use in combat [Force Choke/ Force attacks]. Out of all the attacks you use playing them there is only one Force attack they use regularly. Force Choke and force Leap while, ethnically are attacks, they do so little damage it's barely worth mentioning. You use Force Choke as a CC and Force Leap as a gap closer. Once you in close, you're not using Force Leap again..

Assassins and Shadows are a more de finely even spread of melee combat attacks and Force use. I'd liken them to something like a "Fighter/Magic User" in DnD. Sorcs and Sages are more like the Wizards and Clerics, and Sith Warriors and Jedi Knights are like the Fighters and Paladins.

Even still, I do have to agree that it is utterly asanine to give a class a Lightsaber and expect them not to want to use it. What kind of madness is that? You don't make a Lightsaber nothing more than a stat stick and expect people to be ok with never using it really.

I think a more realistic approach considering all the mechanics and designs of the classes would be to change one ranged attack they have to a melee attack that can be used either up close or 10' feet away as a saber throw. It wouldn't even have to do a lot of damage just as long as it wasn't a DPS loss to use it sometimes. That sacrifices only one present attack for an attack that can be used close in or at a distance. Obviously you wouldn't want to be using it very often as a melee attack as being close in and toe to toe as Sorc/Sage comes with risks that they are really not intended for overall. You can make the ranged version do a bit more damage than the melee version and save melee uses for when you are under the gun and find yourself close in.

I know that's not really what you are looking for, in fact I know some other dude in the game that feels similarly to you as he wants one of the Sorc specs to be made more melee and in the spirit of Count Dooku's fighting style.

Unfortunately it really wouldn't be a good idea in the extreme sense because of the many design problems and preponderance of more more melee specs than ranged. That's why I made the above suggestion. It wouldn't be the end all for you, I know that, but at least it would make it not so totally friggen stupid that a force user with a lightsaber never uses it like now and would sometimes afford you the opportunity to use the saber at least sometimes in combat.

Maybe try a melee class to see, maybe you'll find it enough for you to enjoy, even if not the ideal you would hope for.

I don't think that's what I'm really going for. I'd say I'm more going for a Shadow Spec that uses a single lightsaber and still uses their original ranged attack (Project or Lightning Shock depending on what side you're on) in their rotation.

Something a Shadow can already do, except they use a dual saber (and I do like dual sabers, I just want a melee consular who uses a single saber) and get Project/Lightning Shock replaced by a less awesome lightsaber blast ability.