A note about alignment!!!!!

Dredzone

Ok, I'm new here so please forgive me if this suggestion has been made. *clearing throat* Why is there NO OPTION to fall, OR for redemption!!!!?????? Seriously?!!!:confused:

This franchise has long been about redemption and corruption, from political organization to clandestine sub-groups to individual people, whether Force Sensitive or not. So why, in this world of second-chances (be it the Force-sensitive moisture farmer with the divine destiny, or the cruel mass murderer that sacrifices himself to save his son), is there no room to 'change course' in this game!? :eek:

I would LOVE nothing more than to have a Jedi who, at some point in the story, has the chance to become corrupt if the player so chooses and facing all the consequences and conflict that brings! Or being a dark, powerful Sith who has a chance to come back to the Light side. You kind of have the option with your Sith apparition story arc, but nothing comes of it!? I think that was a missed opportunity. What if, somewhere during your Jedi/Sith story you could switch tracks and play the rest of the game from the other side? ;) Or be a smuggler who sees the profit to be made by betraying the Republic? Or the Bounty Hunter who thinks it's better to hunt criminals than be one? How about a trooper who comes to see the Republic as broken, or an Agent who truly DOES become a spy for the enemy?

I know, I know. It's a LOT of work. And I'm oblivious to all the nuance and tech required to make something like I'm suggesting. I just can't believe that a franchise as intricate as this, and a company as devoted to immersion as this, can't figure out a way to make it happen. This is one of the ONLY MMORPGs that allow your toon to SPEAK, and with genuine, flavor! So, why not take it above and beyond and let the industry see that this Universe is still setting the standards! :jawa_mad:

I'd like that option. My main character is an Imperial Agent Operative. I ran it as obedient patriot in the beginning. After the watcher X and double agent parts, I became more distrustworthy of the Empire. At the end of my class story, I left. Through Kotfe/et I started to sympathize with the Republic. From Iokath on, I supported them and sabotaged the Empire. I'll never be an Imperial lackey again. From this junction in the story, now would be the ideal time to allow us to switch sides. If they don't allow us to then why even introduce it to begin with. From a lore perspective, it happened to some key people. Notably, Wedge Antilles, Alexsandr Kallus, FN-2187, Mara Jade, and Han Solo.

*People want new classes. If we can't get new ones, this could be a way to make 8more without the hardship of redoing VA and stories. Saves money, kinda gives people more choices. The more people happy, the more people play.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

We can go through a series of confirmation windows stating "by clicking you accept and understand that you will no longer be -faction- blah blah blah" Do you accept? Again, do you accept? Afterwards, you'll spawn in your new faction fleet with a mission to go see so and so. This will start your redemption arc. You'll have to earn reputation just like any other daily area. You gain titles( faction deserter, republic/imperial sympathizer, r/i supporter, r/i contractor, r/i conscript, etc...). You'll be able to buy armor and other items. Maybe new animations for abilities or more weapon choices....?

Taking it a step further, suppose you say F the Empire and F the Republic, you can start off in Port Nowhere and work your way through the underworld as a freelancer. Opening up another third faction. You'd start a reputation with Mandalorians, or Hutts, or Blacksun, or Whitemaw. Just throwing things out there....

Edited by TonyTricicolo

To be nitpicky ... do mean changing faction? Or changing alignment? Because you can already change your alignment. There's the Dark/Light toggle to change the points you get when you kill things and there's the Diplomacy crew skill. Personally I would love to be able to change faction - although I wouldn't necessarily want to change my character's class in the process. And I mean actually change faction, not the half-a**ed double agent thing we have going on.

We can go through a series of confirmation windows stating "by clicking you accept and understand that you will no longer be -faction- blah blah blah" Do you accept? Again, do you accept? Afterwards, you'll spawn in your new faction fleet with a mission to go see so and so.

And the forums will be full of complaints about how they "accidentally" clicked through all those warnings(0) and switched sides when they didn't want to. All the warnings in the world won't prevent [REDACTED]s(1) from messing up their characters.

(0) We've already seen people who claim to have accidentally clicked through the warnings at the beginning of KotFE, and the much more visible ones at the beginning of JUS. Such a story arc would be no different.

(1) negative words about people who don't pay attention to what they are doing and blame the consequences on other people

And the forums will be full of complaints about how they "accidentally" clicked through all those warnings(0) and switched sides when they didn't want to. All the warnings in the world won't prevent [REDACTED]s(1) from messing up their characters.

(0) We've already seen people who claim to have accidentally clicked through the warnings at the beginning of KotFE, and the much more visible ones at the beginning of JUS. Such a story arc would be no different.

(1) negative words about people who don't pay attention to what they are doing and blame the consequences on other people

Yeah, you're right. I definitely see that happening. People click through those warnings blindly. How do you propose it?

Yeah, you're right. I definitely see that happening. People click through those warnings blindly. How do you propose it?

That's a good question. There isn't an easy solution, unfortunately. The "obvious" flaw in the JUS warning is that while it does say that it completes all earlier content, someone beginning *now* doesn't have the background to know *which* content is "earlier" and which is not. I suspect that a JUS-like warning is probably the best (?least bad?) we can do. JUS would be helped by having a button that pops a panel that explains what will be locked out, but it's not clear how such a thing could work for a faction change.

That's a good question. There isn't an easy solution, unfortunately. The "obvious" flaw in the JUS warning is that while it does say that it completes all earlier content, someone beginning *now* doesn't have the background to know *which* content is "earlier" and which is not. I suspect that a JUS-like warning is probably the best (?least bad?) we can do. JUS would be helped by having a button that pops a panel that explains what will be locked out, but it's not clear how such a thing could work for a faction change.

Maybe using their mobile security key to generate the number they have to type in to confirm their action. That would be intuitive, forcing people to actually stop, question, and think for a moment. Another way could be a glaringly large pop up page like the tutorials, that can't be escaped out of or dismissed easily. Perhaps prompts to type something. When you delete a character, you have to type delete to proceed.

Maybe using their mobile security key to generate the number they have to type in to confirm their action. That would be intuitive, forcing people to actually stop, question, and think for a moment. Another way could be a glaringly large pop up page like the tutorials, that can't be escaped out of or dismissed easily. Perhaps prompts to type something. When you delete a character, you have to type delete to proceed.

lol, no, that would piss people off to the extreme....

the problem is, no matter what they implement, people will still complain, it's what they do :rolleyes:

Edited by DarkTergon

Exactly this. The same thing they do for when you're dropping your sub and become F2P at the server select screen? Drop that and 3 warnings on your screen. Also make clear when the ESC key will no longer pull you out of an oopsie in that case. I think people give way too much credit to the few people with the energy to come and post here about making a mistake because they weren't paying attention or to kick up a fuss, those posts won't always be serious or gain traction if people don't give it attention to say 'I told you so' or other snarky remarks.

Bioware aren't brainless, there's nothing stopping them from adding another screen and confirmation prompts just like there's nothing stopping trolls, idiots or the inattentive from making posts putting their mistake/lies on blast. That's no reason to hold back development at this point.