Will Lucasarts Shutting Down Affect SWTOR?

Fiato

Lets remember that Lucasarts is not being shutdown they simply layed off there Dev side so they won't be making any games directly. They still have Lucasarts up and running but only as a license shop. So they will continue to use the Lucasarts name to sell the licenses and consult on games being built by outside developers.

this shouldnt really effect Bioware / E.A or Star Wars the old republic as a title, as one of the guys from Lucas Arts said

" After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games, It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production…"

Basically Lucas Arts are going to do what they are already doing with SW:TOR licensing the product while a different company creates the content, in this case Bioware/E.A, and they have said that star wars games will continue and if anything this opens the field for more new Star Wars titles as it wont all be done in house anymore.

So in the long run it could be a good thing that LucasArts have switched to a licensing model instead of development/creation.

this shouldnt really effect Bioware / E.A or Star Wars the old republic as a title, as one of the guys from Lucas Arts said

" After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games, It is worth noting that we are looking for proven external partners who can help us provide video games to our fans. We still believe in the video game industry, we still will provide Star Wars games, we're just looking at different models rather than internal production…"

Basically Lucas Arts are going to do what they are already doing with SW:TOR licensing the product while a different company creates the content, in this case Bioware/E.A, and they have said that star wars games will continue and if anything this opens the field for more new Star Wars titles as it wont all be done in house anymore.

So in the long run it could be a good thing that LucasArts have switched to a licensing model instead of development/creation.

Exactly. I see this as fine news. LucasArts was terrible at internal development, the only good SW games to come out in the last decade have been some of the licensed ones, so them closing is largely irrelevant.

The question that remains is will Disney focus entirely on properties like Star Wars Kinect or Angry Birds type spin-offs, or will they set aside money for more core gamer experiences as well. Its hard to tell until this acquisition sinks in.

Right. This SHOULDN'T affect SWTOR. But...did you notice how many people can't log in today and that NOONE has responded to ANYTHING today from the company?

A. I've not had any problem logging in.

B. Lack of response from Bioware is hardly unique.

C. LucasArts shut down it's development branch, not the licensing part. SWTOR was developed under license. So in effect, absolutely nothing has changed for TOR. If Disney were for some reason decide to pull the license, 1. It would cost them a lot of money, and 2. They could do it regardless of the status of LucasArts.

LucasArts from what i know, really didn't have anything to do with SWTOR.

Now if Bioware/EA starts going under then freak out.

EA/BW does not own SWTOR, they buy a licence from LA (now Disney)

Bioware has already gone under with the Doctors leaving. EA just uses the Bioware name now

LA closure has affected 1313. Disney have stated they want to concentrate on games around the new movies Episodes 7 to 9, and not so much on the expanded universe, which would include SWTOR

SWG was shut down and SOE unable to save it because of LA who called the shots.

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

EA/BW just code and maintains SWTOR like SOE did with SWG, but Lucasarts (now Disney) called the shots with both of them.

Plus if populations continue to dwindle, then the future of SWTOR does not look bright at all. If low populations does not kill SWTOR, then Disneys focus of the SW IP might.

EA/BW / Disney need to make a statement about the future of SWTOR - The lack of one implies the future is not good for SWTOR

LucasArts 'called the shots' in terms of telling SOE how much they wanted in order to renew the license.

So there's no reason to think that SWTOR is in any 'danger' until their license runs out. And if subscriptions are dwindling/Cartel Market isn't making money then it will probably die, but that won't be the result of any ill intention on the part of Disney or EA, it will be the simple fact that they're businesses, and they're not going to keep sinking money into something to please fans who don't want to pay to help keep it going.

"You should keep pumping millions into developing something that pleases me, and give it to me for free, because I'm a fan!"

Edited by jovianus

Yeah, now they can go ahead and get Dice to make the next Battlefront with the Frostbite 3 engine. ;)

its more likely that we will only see game made around the films and see nothing of the expanded universe in the future.

Although GL didn't really endorse the EU from his standpoint he did let it continue and grow and even acknowledge some things out of it, weather Disney do the same is another, they could be looking to wipe out all EU titles so they can make there own stand.

This effectually could mean that novels comics games and other titles we know and love will dwindle rather than expand as they have done for so long.

This effectually could mean that novels comics games and other titles we know and love will dwindle rather than expand as they have done for so long.

It would seem to be a rather silly business decision on the part of Disney. I understand releasing games and material based on the movies, but all the other stuff makes them money too, and I seriously doubt EU stuff not directly relating to the movies causes them any losses.

I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to guess that the numbers of 'Star Wars Fans' who only ever see the movies vastly outnumbers those who get heavily involved in the EU. And I don't think too many EU fans are going to go, "Oh well, the movie doesn't follow the plot of x comic, I'm not going to bother with it." :p

Edited by jovianus

It would seem to be a rather silly business decision on the part of Disney. I understand releasing games and material based on the movies, but all the other stuff makes them money too, and I seriously doubt EU stuff not directly relating to the movies causes them any losses.

I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch to guess that the numbers of 'Star Wars Fans' who only ever see the movies vastly outnumbers those who get heavily involved in the EU. And I don't think too many EU fans are going to go, "Oh well, the movie doesn't follow the plot of x comic, I'm not going to bother with it." :p

that isnt what i ment

i ment that future eu content may only revolve around the films and things like this very game we may never see again or be rewritten or even rephrased by a simple line the the films.

your right it would be a rather silly move on their part but Disney haven't really been all clear on there plans for the future of star wars other than the new films.

People overreact and generate hyperbole when things like company closures take place.

Disney is not tearing down the EU and creating a dictatorship in the SW brand where anything that isn't new trilogy is tossed down the "destroy" vat. They are restructuring the company they just paid 4 billion dollars for to make it more efficient and profitable. LucasArts was not either of those things themselves. The only money they brought in was in licensing, which is now all they will be doing. Sound business, it was honestly long overdue. The film studio is being refocused, because hey that would happen with the new trilogy starting production regardless of who owned it. So far nothing has happened that isn't predictable or par the course.

Now, if they start canceling things like book contracts, the Darkhorse partnership, or things of that nature, THEN you can start worrying.

Just to give peopel an example of how NOT in trouble the series is, Darkhorse just announced the production of a short comic series for later this year that follows the original "first draft" Star Wars script. Where Anakin is younger and unrelated to Luke, and Han Solo is an alien. Yeah. I don't think we have to worry that Disney is shelving everything that isn't NT if **** like that is being green lit.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

EA/BW does not own SWTOR, they buy a licence from LA (now Disney)

Bioware has already gone under with the Doctors leaving. EA just uses the Bioware name now

LA closure has affected 1313. Disney have stated they want to concentrate on games around the new movies Episodes 7 to 9, and not so much on the expanded universe, which would include SWTOR

SWG was shut down and SOE unable to save it because of LA who called the shots.

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

EA/BW just code and maintains SWTOR like SOE did with SWG, but Lucasarts (now Disney) called the shots with both of them.

Plus if populations continue to dwindle, then the future of SWTOR does not look bright at all. If low populations does not kill SWTOR, then Disneys focus of the SW IP might.

EA/BW / Disney need to make a statement about the future of SWTOR - The lack of one implies the future is not good for SWTOR

after reading all of that, yes EA pays for a licence and they have a long time to go. Do you know the kind of penalties and the amount of suing EA could do if LA/Disney tried to pull their licence early for no reason.

It's called a contract, both sides have to abide by it. Trust me, nothing is going to happen in the least with LA just being used for licensing.

well this is Disney i expect every sinister move but as license days go by EA is the only one i guess calling the shots which is more dangerous than Disney!

but as the RoHC expansion comes i guess we are clear for at least a year or two

I am relieved that this doesn't mean the end of TOR. I do have to take some issue with whoever said that SOE had nothing to do with the end of Galaxies. SOE did develop content, and the two things that caused the downfall of Galaxies (Patch 9 and the New Game Enhancements) were SOE's babies.