The Code of the Grey Jedi

Lenlo

Dark Jedi aren't really "Jedi" anymore though. They don't follow Jedi teaching if they have fallen to the Dark Side, even if they don't join the Sith Order and can't be called Sith. They would probably be more accurately described as "former Jedi" or "Jedi who fell to the Dark Side." "Dark Jedi" is just a convenient shorthand.

I'm sure they still rely a lot on their old Jedi training - you don't suddenly forget lightsaber forms and Force techniques when going Dark Side. What they leave behind is the Code and the Jedi Order.

Calling them "Dark Jedi" might not be technically correct, but it marks them as fallen Jedi that the Order has some responsibility for. Else it would be like people of certain religions claiming anyone that does something evil "in the name of" isn't a true member anyway so he's not their responsibility. The Jedi, however, accept some of the blame and usually try to hunt these guys down for re-education or failing that kill them to keep others safe.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure they still rely a lot on their old Jedi training - you don't suddenly forget lightsaber forms and Force techniques when going Dark Side. What they leave behind is the Code and the Jedi Order.

Calling them "Dark Jedi" might not be technically correct, but it marks them as fallen Jedi that the Order has some responsibility for. Else it would be like people of certain religions claiming anyone that does something evil "in the name of" isn't a true member anyway so he's not their responsibility. The Jedi, however, accept some of the blame and usually try to hunt these guys down for re-education or failing that kill them to keep others safe.

Well, it isn't. People aren't responsible for the atrocities of other people just because they share some similarities with them.

But that's not even that great of an analogy. Dark Jedi usually don't self identify as part of the Jedi Order. They don't do things in the name of or on behalf of the Jedi Order. And it would be the Jedi Order's duty to hunt them down and stop them whether they were once members of the Order or not.

Edited by OldVengeance

• 2 weeks later...
Morality is a fiction

There is only INDIFFERENCE

Through Anger I Gain

DARK SIDE POWERS

Through Loopholes I Keep

LIGHT SIDE POWERS

Through Edginess

My Mediocrity Is

GLOSSED OVER

The Force Makes Me Special

Source unknown.

Hahaha I really laughed about this.

DS choices are sometimes more logical, while some lightside choices would pay off in the long run. For example Kreia's advise on Nar Shaddaa concerning the beggar in KOTOR 2. LS option only made him a target.

Gray Jedi would be more practical compared to Jedi

• 2 weeks later...
No such thing as gray.

So many times this has been stated...

you may want to read this :)

The term Gray Jedi, or Gray, had two meanings. First, it was used by Jedi and Sith to describe Force-users who walked the line between the light and dark sides of the Force without surrendering to the dark side, and second, it described Jedi who distanced themselves from the Jedi High Council and operated outside the strictures of the Jedi Code. However, those who were considered to be true Gray Jedi met both qualifications and did not belong to any particular Force tradition. One example was Jolee Bindo, a former Jedi Padawan and a Gray Jedi that served the Old Republic.

• 1 month later...
Ahem, in my research, It seems that both the Jedi and Sith/darksiders are severely limiting themselves. Take Starkiller as an example. He was so strongly in tune with the light, that even after all that Vader put him through, he was able to utilize the dark side without being consumed by it. Using both sides of the force, but holding strongly to the light creates a truly power weapon against the dark. I believe Luke himself is learning this in the new trilogy. :)

• 1 month later...
Dark Jedi aren't really "Jedi" anymore though. They don't follow Jedi teaching if they have fallen to the Dark Side, even if they don't join the Sith Order and can't be called Sith. They would probably be more accurately described as "former Jedi" or "Jedi who fell to the Dark Side." "Dark Jedi" is just a convenient shorthand.

Dark Jedi -

This category is for characters who were sensitive to the Force and used its dark side, but were not Sith. http://ru.starwars.wikia.com/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F:%D0%A2%D1%91%D0%BC%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B5_%D0%B4%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%B8

I always felt like the closest thing we got to a Grey Jedi in the movies was Qui-Gon. He was a man with lightside intentions but he was openly defiant to the Council in Ep. 1 and was a huge gambler when he gambled the ship and the Skywalker lives.

I think Qui-Gon and Jolee Bindo are good examples of Gray Jedi as well as Older Ahsoka.

To be honest I think George wanted us to see in the Prequels that the Jedi of the Old Republic era was flawed and thats why they were brought down by the Sith throughout the whole movie it's talked about how there is a shroud of darkness in the Force.

To quote Palpatine, I think the Prequel Jedi were blinded by their arrogance and couldn't see that they had been torn apart from the inside when the prophesied greatest one among them had turned against them and slaughtered them. As well as the very Republic that they sworn fealty to was run by the Dark Lord of the Sith.

I think the flaws of the Old Jedi Order are exposed by great Gray Jedi and characters that have ventured on both sides of the Force, characters like: Anakin Skywalker, Revan, Ahsoka, Jolee Bindo, Qui-Gon Jinn, and even Count Dooku.

In Legends Dooku was believed to be the Chosen One when he was a Jedi and was an extremely powerful Jedi Master but began to see the flaws of the Jedi as well as being corrupted bt Sidious who also thought Dooku was powerful. And what do you know, his apprentice in the Jedi Order was Qui-Gon, and Dooku was visibly bothered in ep. 2 by Qui-gons death and it was said they were close friends. So there is no surprise when Qui-Gon may share rebellious beliefs.

Also how about in Legends, Grand Master Luke Skywalker. Who created the New Jedi Order and altered what he thought he hindered the Old order and took out certain ideals like having no love and showing little attachment. His order was far more lenient in my opinion. Especially when they welcomed characters like Kyle Katarn. A Mace Windy and Yoda Council would never approve of certain Jedi from the Post ROTJ expanded universe and thats the point. Luke's NJO from Legends was suppose to be an evolved Order or what he thought he was an evolved version.

I think it's clear from the movies that the Old Jedi Order is heavily flawed and are not the positive hero's they are made out to be.

I always felt like the closest thing we got to a Grey Jedi in the movies was Qui-Gon. He was a man with lightside intentions but he was openly defiant to the Council in Ep. 1 and was a huge gambler when he gambled the ship and the Skywalker lives.

The Gray Jedi is a term that can be interpreted in two ways. First, it was used by the Jedi and the Sith to refer to those who walked along the fine line between darkness and light, but did not succumb to the temptation of the dark side!

And yes. For example, Qui-Gon Jinn, one of the most famous gray Jedi, was a convinced follower of the Living Force, but was distinguished by his independence, which was expressed in disagreement with the Council and original behavior.

This term appeared even in the days of the Old Sith Wars, when the Supreme Council sought to strengthen its power and centralize the Order http://ru.starwars.wikia.com/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%B4%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%B9

Gray Jedi - Jedi (actual Jedi) who do not heed the will of the Jedi Council. (i.e. Green/Corellian Jedi) Still avoid the Dark Side and all that.

Rogue Jedi - Jedi that have forsaken the Order itself as well as any reservations about the Dark Side, but have not necessarily "fallen".

Dark Jedi - Jedi who have fallen to the Dark Side. Dark Jedi virtually never become actual Sith because of their previous training.

Also, the whole "balance between the two sides"...

There is the Force, and there is the Dark Side of the Force. A balance of the Force is a removal/cleansing of the Dark Side of the Force.

Source: "Star Wars Episode..." movies (the trilogies)

This is the actual grey code from what I've seen:

There is no Dark Side, nor a Light Side

There is Only the Force

I will do what I must to keep the balance

The balance is what keeps me together

There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish

There is passion, Yet peace

Serenity, Yet emotion

Chaos, yet order

I am the wielder of the flame, the protector of balance

I am the holder of the torch, lighting the way

I am the keeper of the flame, soldier of balance

I am a guardian of balance

I am a Gray Jedi

This is the one that I've seen as well.

"It's time for the Jedi to end"-Luke Skywalker. As long as there is no Jedi nor Sith to wield just one side of the Force and only those who wield both, there can be no conflict as the Dark and Light are in a stalemate/balance, or mabye the Exile was right, it's time for all use of the Force to end.