What a "DPS" Sorcerer Really is in PvP now days

Zergnaut

Let me just start out by saying this if you are playing the sorcerer class for DPS you're playing the wrong class. Many Sorcerer's think they're actually DPS. The truth is we are not. We are a tide turner. The utility class of the battlefield.

A good example of this would be if you ever played World of Warcraft it is much similar to a frost mage back in wrath of the Litch king. Although the frost mage could kill people in battlegrounds the frost mage was there for CC, to control the battlefield with Novas and ring of frost not to kill people. A "dps" Sorcerer performes this very same function. I play full madness. Mainly for CT it is a CC that is very hard to ignore in most situations.

For example recently we were in Alderan WZ it was a very competitive game and a lot of fun. One thing that turned the tide for us is someone was about ready to cap a post, all my CC but CT was down. I was busy fighting his budys. I used CT before he could get close enough to cap. That tiny hold was the game changer. The hold was just long enough for backup to arrive and stop him in his buddies from capping the post. We won the game due to this. In high rated war zones a few econds is all you need to change the game. I just really enjoyed being that type of utility to my team.

Like I said above, I have literally changed the game for us in rated battlegrounds more times than I can count just do to my CC. In my honest opinion if you play a sorcerer more like this treating it more like a utility class rather than DPS you can very well be the most useful tool in the shed. In rated war zones my character is known for my CC and hated so much that people literally seek me out and focus fire me more than our healers lol.

Most people in high rated war zones know my sorcerer and hunt me down like a dog due this. I am enjoying being the utility guy the middleman who changes the game for my team.

Edited by Zergnaut

I am one of those people who completely dismisses the idea of "pure" DPS classes in PvE, but for PvP I agree that utility is more valuable. I had this exact same experience on Voidstar today. Kept the other team from capping by using Creeping Terror with one second left on the other guy's channel for placing the bomb. No one else was close enough to stop him.

In PvE, most of the utility we have doesn't really translate. Off healing in most ops is a really bad idea as it usually hurts your team by gimping DPS more than the heal helps. The Marauder's bloodthirst is at least as valuable if not more than anything a DPS Sorc can bring. But in PvP, all those little snares and pulls and cc's really can make a difference, as does the ability to off heal.

I am one of those people who completely dismisses the idea of "pure" DPS classes in PvE, but for PvP I agree that utility is more valuable. I had this exact same experience on Voidstar today. Kept the other team from capping by using Creeping Terror with one second left on the other guy's channel for placing the bomb. No one else was close enough to stop him.

In PvE, most of the utility we have doesn't really translate. Off healing in most ops is a really bad idea as it usually hurts your team by gimping DPS more than the heal helps. The Marauder's bloodthirst is at least as valuable if not more than anything a DPS Sorc can bring. But in PvP, all those little snares and pulls and cc's really can make a difference, as does the ability to off heal.

Yeah for pve I go lightning/madness spec. A lot of people take me over a jugger due to the fact that I can see CC a lot of of targets with improved whirlwind

Edited by Zergnaut

Let me just start out by saying this if you are playing the sorcerer class for DPS you're playing the wrong class. Many Sorcerer's think they're actually DPS. The truth is we are not. We are a tide turner. The utility class of the battlefield.

A good example of this would be if you ever played World of Warcraft it is much similar to a frost mage back in wrath of the Litch king. Although the frost mage could kill people in battlegrounds the frost mage was there for CC, to control the battlefield with Novas and ring of frost not to kill people. A "dps" Sorcerer performes this very same function. I play full madness. Mainly for CT it is a CC that is very hard to ignore in most situations.

For example recently we were in Alderan WZ it was a very competitive game and a lot of fun. One thing that turned the tide for us is someone was about ready to cap a post, all my CC but CT was down. I was busy fighting his budys. I used CT before he could get close enough to cap. That tiny hold was the game changer. The hold was just long enough for backup to arrive and stop him in his buddies from capping the post. We won the game due to this. In high rated war zones a few econds is all you need to change the game. I just really enjoyed being that type of utility to my team.

Like I said above, I have literally changed the game for us in rated battlegrounds more times than I can count just do to my CC. In my honest opinion if you play a sorcerer more like this treating it more like a utility class rather than DPS you can very well be the most useful tool in the shed. In rated war zones my character is known for my CC and hated so much that people literally seek me out and focus fire me more than our healers lol.

Most people in high rated war zones know my sorcerer and hunt me down like a dog due this. I am enjoying being the utility guy the middleman who changes the game for my team.

i kinda agree with you..but you terrible exaple with frost mages makes me doubt how much you actualy know about pvp...

1-ring of frost=cata

2-frost amges were allways and still are one of the strongest most bursty classes...aded theyre snares+mobility they are one of the best DPS classes...as they ahve been for msot of wow pvp story...

Okay, you go ahead and enjoy playing your awesome sidekick class. I think this is the most useless post I've seen today.

This is correct. Generally Sorcs are used for utility/control. Which is why I use the Lightning/Madness hybrid and I think it's fantastic.

This is mostly because we just can't compare with some of the other classes dps. If our damage gets buffed a little or some of the other classes get tuned down we could easily be on par.

I did not roll dps to be utility/support I rolled dps to dps. Lets not forget the fact that marauder has better utility group wise and melts face as a dps.

Lets not forget the sniper raid party size shield and they melt face they put sorc utility to shame and looking at the pvp forums our force bubble stun is going to get a nerf.

... and looking at the pvp forums our force bubble stun is going to get a nerf.

If that happens I'm going to leave on principle despite that I'd probably still do good and there are other aspects of the game I enjoy. But the message in itself, to completely ignore months of QQ'ing about maras/sents and then decide to nerf an already suffering class, would be too much. I'd deem them completely incompetent and I have very little patience for that, some of the things are already pushing it.

If that happens I'm going to leave on principle despite that I'd probably still do good and there are other aspects of the game I enjoy. But the message in itself, to completely ignore months of QQ'ing about maras/sents and then decide to nerf an already suffering class, would be too much. I'd deem them completely incompetent and I have very little patience for that, some of the things are already pushing it.

Honestly at the current moment I no longer play my sith sorc anymore since I had enough of the nerfs as most people say in my guild bioware missed the cannon part of glass cannon.

I also feel bad for dps operatives as well they are in need of help as well. I don't know what I will do if bioware decides the nerf the force bubble stun.