Choosing end game class

Bannidles

So I leveled all the advanced classes on the Empire side to 15 to get a feel for them. I like the maurader so I made a Sentinel on on the Republic side which I am now leveling through Flashpoints and story. I have discovered that the Sentinel is kind of a joke right now in endgame and while I don't plan to spend too much time doing it I would like to fully level a second Republic toon for that purpose.

I can't remember the Republic equivelant so I will reference the Empire. Here is how I rate my enjoyment for each class

1) Warrior

2) Operative

3) Inquisitor (but not sorcerer)

4) Bounty Hunter

Could you point me towards a good endgame advanced class according to my preferences. Thanks.

We have a Marauder in our Progression team. Annihilation Marauder/Watchman Sentinel has the potential to parse the highest of all mDPS, and the usefulness of Bloodthirst in burn phase and Predation in movement-intensive phase. Juggernaut can either tank or DPS; the Vengeance Jugg in our team regularly hits high numbers on most bosses.

Bear in mind that all Warrior/JK advanced classes are melee and may have a harder time than rDPS in Ravagers and ToS. All classes are viable for Ops, but if you're after numbers, go with IO Merc or Engineering Sniper.

Edited by iusCogens

A good to know, thanks. I am not really after numbers, just to role a class that is both fun an useful and could secure a spot in ops. I am not sure how end game is exactly organized in Swtor but I probably wouldn't be evolved in progression in the sense of clearing the newest content as it is released. I guess I am more for casual ops , not 4 days a week ops. ... if that is even a thing in Swtor since the impression I get is swtor end game is quite difficult. The Sentinel is definitely my fav, at least thus far. I just want to come prepared. It sucks when you preferred class is excluded, it would happen quite often when I played WoW. Edited by Bannidles

I'm in the opinion that for SM all classes are viable (I have all Impside advanced classes, can confirm), only differentiated by rotation difficulty and personal preference. Just FYI that mDPS struggles in endgame Ops. Not to say that mDPS isn't viable at all, but you might be surprised by how much you have to move around and having less uptime than rDPS. Marauder itself is highly desirable in Progression teams. Edited by iusCogens

If you plan to DPS, I would recommend a ranged class at this time. If you have a good team, it won't be a huge deal, but the current story mode operations are not kind to melee. It will be tough to take down Underlurker with more than 1 melee DPS.

Right now Mercenary/Commando, Sorcerer/Sage, or Sniper/Gunslinger are probably your best bets to get groups for the newest Operations as a DPS if you don't plan to run with a guild. Any other content and it doesn't matter what class you choose.

I can't remember the Republic equivelant so I will reference the Empire. Here is how I rate my enjoyment for each class

1) Warrior

2) Operative

3) Inquisitor (but not sorcerer)

4) Bounty Hunter

The "mirror" classes for these are:

1) Knight

2) Sawbones (Operative is one AC for Agent. Sawbones is equivalent AC for Smuggler)

3) Consular (Sage = Sorcerer, so "not sorcerer" would be Shadow)

4) Trooper

The Vanguard is in a pretty good spot too. I've been playing it in HM Rav and ToS since I switched in March. It has the feel of melee (almost all instant abilities, good mobility - especially tactics spec) but has a lot of mid-ranged abilities and is not lumped in with other pure melee and the positioning challenges that pop up on some fights.

But that said I wouldn't listen too much when folks say melee struggle. 3 or 4 melee in a 8 man group can be tougher, but I've always run with 2 (me being one). Ranged is easier if you're pushing top end progression undergeared going for world firsts. But the folks that do that cleared all content months ago and are probably taking breaks from the game waiting for new stuff. Most groups go 2:2 melee: ranged as long as you're a good player and enjoy your class.

The "mirror" classes for these are:

1) Knight

2) Sawbones (Operative is one AC for Agent. Sawbones is equivalent AC for Smuggler)

3) Consular (Sage = Sorcerer, so "not sorcerer" would be Shadow)

4) Trooper

Small mistake Operative = Scoundrel. Sawbones is one of the Scoundrel discipline (healing one)

Thanks for the good advice. I think I will stick with my sentinel and also level a gunslinger that way I can remain versatile in endgame as well as level classes I enjoy

Huh, sentinel and gunslinger - versatile? Depend how you think about it. Both these advanced class can run ONLY in DPS tree. I for example prefer Guardian over sentinel mostly cause i can switch to tank form and find group easy if i want to do group context :)

• 7 months later...

I use my knight as my end game class.

Some may have a better story and skill sets then knight but it's the one I guess that suited me more. I may change my mind later but just like being a Jedi the most I guess