disappointment

akcac

Bio-wear why did you make this class "commando" it is a constant disappointment. Every time you say you are going to fix it your fixes always fall short of been useful.. i have played this lemon you call a "commando" from launch, and from what i have seen it is crap. i feal like you have cheated me and every one else who has any desire to play in rated wz. or any top tier end game opps. we are like the fat kidds on the playground always the last ones picked and it sucks. so yea thank you for the time and effort you have taken on this class.. you have made the perfect loser.... aka. "commando"

I'm not playing Ranked War Zones, but I have to say, since 2.0, the commando is doing very nice in standard War Zones. Off cause, if the opposite team is using constantly their interrupts, it can get nasty.

For PvP the Commando healer is the worst of the three healing subclasses by far. For PvP, Commando Assault/ Merc Pyro is easily the worst subclass in the entire game.

With two out of the three trees in such a state, I would hardly say that "commando is doing very nice". Gunnery/Arsenal is in the middle of the pack for ranged dps. And then only because Commando Assault/Merc Pyro is at the bottom. Again, this is not good.

the only kill claimed on DG NiM so far had both a commando healer and a commando DPS in the 8 man comp. well merc since DiLiH is imp side yet they are mirror classes. so the statement that they are not viable is crap. as for ranked WZ the commando burst DPS is one of the best in game so that statement is crap. Commandos are by far in the best place they have ever been and ive seen players being able to get 2.2kHPS in normal WZ let alone ranked using mando/merc. sure not as high as op/sconndrel HPS but they are far sturdier than the other classes, 3 dps can eat **** and die tryna pound away on my mando in PvP and i just out heal them and watch then die as my team mops them up.

mandos are not a disappointment the only disappointment is ur lack to apply urself to the class and rather come here and QQ cause u leveld a toon to 55 and cant 1 shot kill everything and anything u Tab too.

TL/DR L2P

Edited by Katalyst

the only kill claimed on DG NiM so far had both a commando healer and a commando DPS in the 8 man comp. well merc since DiLiH is imp side yet they are mirror classes. so the statement that they are not viable is crap. as for ranked WZ the commando burst DPS is one of the best in game so that statement is crap. Commandos are by far in the best place they have ever been and ive seen players being able to get 2.2kHPS in normal WZ let alone ranked using mando/merc. sure not as high as op/sconndrel HPS but they are far sturdier than the other classes, 3 dps can eat **** and die tryna pound away on my mando in PvP and i just out heal them and watch then die as my team mops them up.

mandos are not a disappointment the only disappointment is ur lack to apply urself to the class and rather come here and QQ cause u leveld a toon to 55 and cant 1 shot kill everything and anything u Tab too.

TL/DR L2P

Mostly this. Right now, as far as dps goes, the biggest problem with commando is learning to use it correctly and managing ammo in the best way. Doing high dps on some other classes is easier, I'll give you that (what with the sniper rotation being basically foolproof, with no need of real energy management), but the potential for commando is all there, gunnery at least.

Assault could use some help but as you can see from the "Spamcaster" thread, it's quite possible to make it work very nicely.

I don't PVP much but as far as endgame PVE goes, Commando is king! We run 16 man ops with an average of 5 Commandos for DPS and we absolutely MELT FACES! We don't know how we ended up so Trooper heavy, but we did and we don't regret it. We can really tell the difference when we are down a couple Commandos, as the raids take a lot longer. If this is what the Commando is like in a jacked up state... I can't wait until they "fix" us.

If Commandos are doimnating DPS your other players do something wrong.

Commando is very solid in PVE but there are better choices. Gunslingers, Sentinels, even Guardians.

It's also quite largely uninfluential. As I said, commando is somewhat harder to get the best out of, but the difference is completely irrelevant for most pve content. And tbh I'm inclined to say for ALL Pve content as, just to cite one example, the first full TFB NiM clear has been done with a merc dps in the team. And to strengthen this, I've killed with my mando the first boss in TFB NiM, with FAR LESS dps than the top parsers on the forums and no, I wasn't being carried.

It's also quite largely uninfluential. As I said, commando is somewhat harder to get the best out of, but the difference is completely irrelevant for most pve content. And tbh I'm inclined to say for ALL Pve content as, just to cite one example, the first full TFB NiM clear has been done with a merc dps in the team. And to strengthen this, I've killed with my mando the first boss in TFB NiM, with FAR LESS dps than the top parsers on the forums and no, I wasn't being carried.
Obviously you can do everything with a Commando too. Especially everything besides Dread Guards NM. But thats not the point.

If you take Dread Guards NM as the most challenging fight atm, the question needing to be ask is, how many Commando players can come up with the necessarydps compared to players with other, better dps classes?

There will always be less Commandos/Mercs able to do it because to play the class at maximum is harder.

So while i'm quite confident that at least a third if not more of serious Sentinel or Gunslinger raiders can do the required damage, i'm not so sure about the vast majority Commando/Merc players.

Commandos/Mercs which are really good and able close to good Sentinels and Slingers are rare, especially when some movement is required.

Did you look at the parses from SuckaFish? The damage odawagg did with his Merc is magnificent. And while i'm sure there is still more dps possible, look at what the Maras and Sniper did in those fights.

Take two players of equal skill and let them play a Gunslinger and a Commando. The Gunslinger will always do more dps. Commandos dominating your dps? Check gear and player skill, somethings wrong.

Edited by AMightyKnight

Obviously you can do everything with a Commando too. Especially everything besides Dread Guards NM. But thats not the point.

If you take Dread Guards NM as the most challenging fight atm, the question needing to be ask is, how many Commando players can come up with the necessarydps compared to players with other, better dps classes?

There will always be less Commandos/Mercs able to do it because to play the class at maximum is harder.

So while i'm quite confident that at least a third if not more of serious Sentinel or Gunslinger raiders can do the required damage, i'm not so sure about the vast majority Commando/Merc players.

Commandos/Mercs which are really good and able close to good Sentinels and Slingers are rare, especially when some movement is required.

Did you look at the parses from SuckaFish? The damage odawagg did with his Merc is magnificent. And while i'm sure there is still more dps possible, look at what the Maras and Sniper did in those fights.

Take two players of equal skill and let them play a Gunslinger and a Commando. The Gunslinger will always do more dps. Commandos dominating your dps? Check gear and player skill, somethings wrong.

As far as I know both NiM DG kills have been done with 1 Merc DPS in the group. I know one was pizza, but the other one wasn't. I agree with most else what you said, which makes me kinda sad because I love my commando and hate knowing that it's sorta subpar, and it's gonna be hard to justify bringing her to raids when I finish getting my gunslinger up and geared. Still, I just wanted to comment that yes indeed everything can be done with Commando/Merc DPS. Course you know that too I just wanted to emphasize the point =)

Also, given DiLiH's kill was done with a (no doubt very good) Vengence Jugg, it's not outside the realm of possibility that you could do the fight with 2 Commandos. Also, while it would be ridiculously suboptimal I don't see really why you couldn't do it with 4 very VERY good Commando DPS. Maybe even just pretty good commando DPS. They'd have to really know all the little tricks to upping their DPS of course.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

As far as I know both NiM DG kills have been done with 1 Merc DPS in the group. I know one was pizza, but the other one wasn't. I agree with most else what you said, which makes me kinda sad because I love my commando and hate knowing that it's sorta subpar, and it's gonna be hard to justify bringing her to raids when I finish getting my gunslinger up and geared. Still, I just wanted to comment that yes indeed everything can be done with Commando/Merc DPS. Course you know that too I just wanted to emphasize the point =)

[/Quote] Dont level a Slinger if you want to play Commando, plain and simple. I too have a dusty Level 50 Slinger sitting around somewhere, but dont mention this to anyone

Also, given DiLiH's kill was done with a (no doubt very good) Vengence Jugg, it's not outside the realm of possibility that you could do the fight with 2 Commandos. Also, while it would be ridiculously suboptimal I don't see really why you couldn't do it with 4 very VERY good Commando DPS. Maybe even just pretty good commando DPS. They'd have to really know all the little tricks to upping their DPS of course.

Maybe, maybe not. I haven seen enough of Kelsara enrages with my own parses to have a real opinion about it. But the fact remains, other classes can do more with less skill and gear. No way around that. But thats no reason to beach your Commando, just take it as a challenge.

Dont level a Slinger if you want to play Commando, plain and simple. I too have a dusty Level 50 Slinger sitting around somewhere, but dont mention this to anyone

Maybe, maybe not. I haven seen enough of Kelsara enrages with my own parses to have a real opinion about it. But the fact remains, other classes can do more with less skill and gear. No way around that. But thats no reason to beach your Commando, just take it as a challenge.

Yeah I might just leave my slinger where it is, but I actually love that class too =/

And among the "hybrid DPS" classes (you know, every class not slinger or sent) we both know commando has some pretty high potential. You could probably, almost certainly, do more damage with less skill and gear on sniper, but what about say operative? Or shadow? Or Guardian? Bad examples perhaps, yet that's 3 of the 6 non pure DPS classes. I guess what I'm saying is that while I have to acknowledge that we aren't currently in the absolute top tier DPS, we are solidly in the second tier and that's more than enough in my opinion to justify our raid spot, at least in the current iteration.

sure not as high as op/sconndrel HPS but they are far sturdier than the other classes, 3 dps can eat **** and die tryna pound away on my mando in PvP and i just out heal them and watch then die as my team mops them up. mandos are not a disappointment the only disappointment is ur lack to apply urself to the class and rather come here and QQ cause u leveld a toon to 55 and cant 1 shot kill everything and anything u Tab too.

If your scoundrel healer is less sturdy than your team's commando healer, then your scoundrel healer just sucks. Meanwhile good opponents will just shut down a commando healer from casting for 108 out of every 120 seconds. And during your precious 12 seconds when you can cast, they'll cut that in half with mezz/cc. You are to be congratulated for finding bads that stun Commando healers when they don't have their shield up. But against a good opponent, you'll get off 4 casts with your shield up (probably while eating AoE damage) and another cast while using Tech Override. 5 casts every 120 seconds. Yes, surely that's what a good pvp team is expecting from their healer...

I do far better in assault than gunnery, granted my commando is only level 34 and I am use to the play style of that tree having a 50 powertech. Once I can get demo round I will probably switch back to gunnery.

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP, I would hesitate to call the commando a disappointment. In fact I would go so far as to say it is one of the more rewarding classes to play. Especially with the class changes in 2.0, we got sever nice touches; if you are heal spec,, kolto bomb is now an amazing HOT, which is the on;y thing we lacked before, if you are dps, the addition of electro net, (especially in pvp, but also useful in pve) and getting rid of the stacking of grav round.

Let me premise by saying that if you want an easy class that will get you good parses while being easy to play,, commando, especially, gunnery commando,, is not for you. It is a simple class to play,, but a difficult class to play well. You may have to work on your rotations, talk to other good commandos, etc for months,, but it is extremely satisfying when doing tfb hm, for example,, when in the first phase of the operator 9 fight,, you get your core down before the gunslinger on your team does, ((especially when said gunslinger has been bragging about his high parses on the dummy))

Playing a good gunnery commando is all about knowing your class, knowing your rotations,, and knowing the fights you are particapting in. Ammo management I the biggest enemy of a dps commando,, use a couple of attacks in the wrong order,, and all of a sudden you are at 0 ammo and desparately hammer shotting to regain ammo, while your dps falls FAR behind that of the gunslinger, sentinel, and shadow on your raid team.

I an far from the best commando player, and all of what I know I learned from other players,, but ill do my best to give a few tips to make your commando less of a disappointment.

First,, practice your rotations on a dummy. As I mentioned above,, our ammo system is quite unforgiving of slip-ups.

A few tips to maximize your dps on bosses,, always open with one grav round, to put the debuff on your target. ((also, if you use a boundless ages click-relic, use it b4 your opener so it comes off cd a few times over the longer boss fights.)) Use electro net off cd, as its basically free extra damage. Keep grav round debuff on target at all times, it has a 45 second debuff on target, so its super easy to keep up. Use demolition round off cd, as when it crits it hits like a truck. I also use full auto off cd. (some have asked me why I don't always wait for the curtain of fire proc,, my answer,, 90% of the time it procs b4 it comes off cd,, and if it doesn't,, its still a great ammo manager, and still does good damage.) Avoid using charged bolts and sticky grenade on single targets. For filler between these abilities,, stack 3 grav rounds to get the charged barrel buff, and let loose a high-impact bolt whenever you have full stacks of charged barrel. While doing this, watch your ammo,, you don't want to drop below 60%. Learn when to use hammershot in your rotation, just enough to maintatin ammo, but not so much that your dps suffers. Two great tools you have for ammo management are reserve powercell, (follow this with a mortar volley,, it does good damage, and th elong channel allows good time for ammo to build) and your recharge cells ability. What I do is use both off cooldown for good bursts. If I see the cd on my recharge cells is less than 10 seconds,, I burn every attack I have,, and forget about hammershot. By the time im low on ammo, RC is off cd, and I use it,, bingo, back to normal.

Use your click relic off cd if u have one.

Second, learn the fights on raid bosses, so u know when the burn phases are. Take the walker boss in ec,, or kephess in tfb. There are several burn phases. knowing how to predict these is key. If you know a burn ohase is coming in 30 seconds,, you should save your cooldowns for that. Then when the time comes, pop your relic, adrenal, hit tech overrides to give you 2 instant grav rounds, then hit the boss with everything u have. At end of burn phase, use reserve powercell plus mortar volley, followed by RC, then go back to your rotation.

Overall the key to playing commando dps is knowing your class, and knowing the fights. Don't be afraid to ask the good commandos on your server for help. Its how I learned, its how im still learning new tips and tricks. Its not easy,, but when done right, its one of the most rewarding dps classes to play. Good luck, soldier,, and see you on the front lines!

Playing a good gunnery commando is all about knowing your class, knowing your rotations,, and knowing the fights you are particapting in. Ammo management I the biggest enemy of a dps commando,, use a couple of attacks in the wrong order,, and all of a sudden you are at 0 ammo and desparately hammer shotting to regain ammo, while your dps falls FAR behind that of the gunslinger, sentinel, and shadow on your raid team.

Everything else you said more or less met my expectations, but I've found you'd have to hammer shot the entire fight to fall behind your raid team's shadow =X

Dear BW, the noobs like the OP need help playing this class. Please buff our damage and streamline our healing to be on par with face-rolling the keyboard for other classes. They are tired of playing an under powered class and do not have the patience to level up something more to their taste.

I've out-dps'd many sentinels and gunslingers who were equally geared to me. Compared via a raid-wide parse as well.

And I'm talking about TFB NiM/ S&V HM content here. Can provide parses if arguments ensue.

Edited by CaptianFordo

• 5 weeks later...
Dear BW, the noobs like the OP need help playing this class. Please buff our damage and streamline our healing to be on par with face-rolling the keyboard for other classes. They are tired of playing an under powered class and do not have the patience to level up something more to their taste.

What i was trying to point out in my post was that i thought that they should at least give commandos the potential to top the the parser charts i have no problem with my ability to play the class. my problem is that no matter what lengths i go to my commando will never be capable of out dpsing any other class that is equally geared and played.

What i was trying to point out in my post was that i thought that they should at least give commandos the potential to top the the parser charts i have no problem with my ability to play the class. my problem is that no matter what lengths i go to my commando will never be capable of out dpsing any other class that is equally geared and played.

You should try to play PvP where playing to your class strengths is more important than who can crank out the perfect rotation in a scripted fight, you'd probably see how much better it is. As for Bioware, they should never re-balance based on DPS Parse numbers. That has nothing to do with playing an actual dynamic game against an opponent.

If your scoundrel healer is less sturdy than your team's commando healer, then your scoundrel healer just sucks. Meanwhile good opponents will just shut down a commando healer from casting for 108 out of every 120 seconds. And during your precious 12 seconds when you can cast, they'll cut that in half with mezz/cc. You are to be congratulated for finding bads that stun Commando healers when they don't have their shield up. But against a good opponent, you'll get off 4 casts with your shield up (probably while eating AoE damage) and another cast while using Tech Override. 5 casts every 120 seconds. Yes, surely that's what a good pvp team is expecting from their healer...

I have to say that this right here is blatant misinformation. If you are unable to do any healing 90% of the time, stop healing and go do something else. You've clearly chosen the wrong role to play.

It's one thing to say the class is struggling, which it is, but there's no point in throwing around such ridiculous exaggerations.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity