Stealing from the team

Rolodome

So the other day, I was playing a warzone. Ladee-da. Ancient Hypergate. Not a care in the world. Our team is doing well. We're winning, in fact. Very close to winning the game. Pylons reset, I see no one is capping ours, they're all hanging out in mid. So I run over, cap it, no enemies are anywhere near our pylon, so I return to mid to fight, and proceed to help annihilate a bunch of enemies to seal the win.

Lo and behold, what do I hear? Some guy says I stole from the team. Says that I "cap and ran" (or something like that). Way he phrased it seemed as if I had just set off a bomb in our spawn area and needed to be shiv'd for betraying the team.

I'm like, ok, I dunno what he's talking about, so I ask. He's all like, "The person who caps it gets a medal for defending. That's the reward for defending." So I apparently stole a commendation medal. Lol. What?

Is this even a thing or did I briefly port into the twilight zone? Are there people out there so into farming commendations that they'd consider it theft to cap something and not stick around to defend? I mean, I guess I answer my own question with this story, but like I'm kinda baffled about what happened. Cause I've never before seen someone get worked up over a commendation medal and I'm like... are there lots of people out there thinking this is some kind of accepted etiquette or did I just find the one guy?

:confused:

So the other day, I was playing a warzone. Ladee-da. Ancient Hypergate. Not a care in the world. Our team is doing well. We're winning, in fact. Very close to winning the game. Pylons reset, I see no one is capping ours, they're all hanging out in mid. So I run over, cap it, no enemies are anywhere near our pylon, so I return to mid to fight, and proceed to help annihilate a bunch of enemies to seal the win.

Lo and behold, what do I hear? Some guy says I stole from the team. Says that I "cap and ran" (or something like that). Way he phrased it seemed as if I had just set off a bomb in our spawn area and needed to be shiv'd for betraying the team.

I'm like, ok, I dunno what he's talking about, so I ask. He's all like, "The person who caps it gets a medal for defending. That's the reward for defending." So I apparently stole a commendation medal. Lol. What?

Is this even a thing or did I briefly port into the twilight zone? Are there people out there so into farming commendations that they'd consider it theft to cap something and not stick around to defend? I mean, I guess I answer my own question with this story, but like I'm kinda baffled about what happened. Cause I've never before seen someone get worked up over a commendation medal and I'm like... are there lots of people out there thinking this is some kind of accepted etiquette or did I just find the one guy?

:confused:

It's good that you saw the pylon wasn't capped and went there. But the real issue (or it would be for me) was that you capped and ran off. This is in caps to make my point stand out, not as a yell. "YOU NEVER CAP AND RUN. IF YOU CAP IT, YOU GUARD IT, PERIOD" unless someone says they'll relieve you. That is how you lose a match because someone from the other team just runs over and caps. I've done it to teams lots of times, it's an easy win. When I lose because of someone doing it on my team I get pretty peeved and I'll let lose with verbal rubbish.

If they were annoyed about the medal thing, who cares, but I can see the point. If you only went to get the medal and ran off, the person who actually went there to guard because you ran off won't get it. That's their reward for standing around while you're off fighting.

Personally I don't care about medals in any match, the whole system is wrong and needs an overhaul, we know that will never happen. So it doesn't worry me As long as we win and everyone played their part. But there are people who this is an important part of the game, so you should try and play as a team and give credit to someone willing to spend most of the match guarding a node. But if that person was only coming to relieve you ledgitmately so you could go fight, then they have no basis to complain, they should have headed there to cap instead of you having to do so.

I can understand if it was your first Hypergates and had no idea. But I'm assuming it wasn't.

In Ancient Hypergate, only 1 person gets credit for capturing (capping) the pylon. Compare this to say, the Civil War scenario, and if you are in vicinity of the turret you get credit, even if you never clicked the turret.

As a result, if you get the credit for capping the pylon (and nobody else gets that credit per the warzone design), then you are obligated to guard it.

When I play my tank, I tell folks I'll cap and guard it, and inevitably some bozo beats me to the pylon by half a second and caps it, then runs off. I refuse to guard those pylons and I refuse to cap the pylon for the rest of the game. Don't be that bozo.

In Ancient Hypergate, only 1 person gets credit for capturing (capping) the pylon. Compare this to say, the Civil War scenario, and if you are in vicinity of the turret you get credit, even if you never clicked the turret.

As a result, if you get the credit for capping the pylon (and nobody else gets that credit per the warzone design), then you are obligated to guard it.

When I play my tank, I tell folks I'll cap and guard it, and inevitably some bozo beats me to the pylon by half a second and caps it, then runs off. I refuse to guard those pylons and I refuse to cap the pylon for the rest of the game. Don't be that bozo.

Yeah those douche bags suck

I never cared about medals, don't pay attention to them. I get seriously annoyed when someone caps a node or pylon and then leaves. How is it not sensible to guard the node or pylon that you just capped?? Has it not occurred to you that the enemy team could cap it when you're not there??? I mean, really??

It wasn't my first hypergate, but that doesn't mean I know much about the map. I guess I get the general point of capping and not defending, but like I said, we were very close to winning, no enemies were near the pylon, and it seemed to me that I was doing what was best to help the team. Keep in mind there had also been very few skirmishes near our pylon during the match and there was no indication that it was in any danger.

In my mind, in other words, I was doing what seemed like the most strategically sound thing to do at the time.

So I mean, if I play hypergate again, I will keep this in mind. But I guess the part that's bothering/confounding me is, I didn't cap for the medal in the first place, yet it was assumed from the offset that my intentions were selfish. I capped it because I thought it would help us win. I couldn't care less about the medal it gave me. And when I ran off to help the team in mid to burst down people, I thought I was helping us win as well.

I'm the kind of player who will sit on a point doing nothing other than trying to stay alert because it seems like the best strategic decision at the time. I've yet to do that in hypergate, but only because in most matches I play: 1) Somebody heads there immediately, so I don't need to and 2) It's rare for me to see more than 1 or 2 people actually try for the enemy pylon, so it's typically apparent that my time is better spent in mid.

The weirdest part of it, in my mind, is that had I left the pylon alone, no one would have said anything. Yet getting the pylon helps us win, does it not? So am I supposed to just ignore the pylon if I don't plan to defend it, even if no one else is heading there? Seems like kind of a catch-22. Take a hit to my image, or let the team ignore the pylon and suffer the consequences.

Still, thanks for your responses. I appreciate hearing from people on this.

except Ive seen this play out like this..you/the person capping leaves....no one defends and suddenly the enemy ninjas the base again..and voila the match goes wrong as everyone over rotates. So I say you cap you guard. forgo the medals and do the right thing. too many matches have been lost because people duel, people ignore ball carriers because they duel. This is actually why so many sports have refs to catch "offguard"..in short its just poor sportsmanship and more often than not it does cost the match.

we were very close to winning, no enemies were near the pylon

Because you can't see stealth approaching. if there are more than 1 stealth they can sap cap you easily if you stand too close to the node.

when I ran off to help the team in mid to burst down people, I thought I was helping us win as well.[/Quote] Always assume that if you cap a node you're going to have to guard it and call inc.

Going to go into a bit more detail....

Say your team is winning on the coast, just using that wz as an example, and the team hits mid hard. Yes I know its called south lol. Your team is winning but then suddenly you lose the other bunker, and you look to see no where there. This is a demoralizing moment for a team, and can kill a team in a number of ways, all because someone capped and ran to where the action was. Always remember, and this is where the people who claim to be the best often falter, the other team is not stupid. They are always looking for a weak point to exploit, and when someone caps then runs off its a dream come true for the other team. As another poster pointed out it is something stealthers really love.

On the flip side if you were as close to winning as you claim, the other guy honestly was just being a spass and simply should have moved to counter the oops on your part. Anyone who has pvped long enough has seen this cap and run so many times it truly is beyond numbering. It has cost more teams a win then most other things.

You cap it- You giard it. One of the main rules in defend-objective-based warzones. I guard a lot since my main is a shadow, defending through the whole match or replacing some lonely none-stealth DPS who just went to enemy's node, soloed a guard and capped. You never leave a pylon if no one relaces you immediately. NEVER.:mad:

It really, really doesn't matter how close you think you are to winning. I saw AHG matches that looked like our victory was assured... then our pylon gets stolen 5 seconds before discharge and BAM! we are now doomed to lose. Hate when that happens.

Also, OP, I'm not sure you are aware, but all those point you are helping rack up for your team with kills go away if your pylon gets taken. You have to hold at least one when the timer goes off for the kills to count for that round. So that's another reason why guarding is so important, and especially if you are near winning. The other team knows their only chance of pulling off an upset is to take your pylon. And they'll often try with stealth with about 30 seconds or so left in the round, so that you your team won't have enough time to come take it back.

LOL at those people who care about medals and commendations in regs. There are ranked warzones for rewards. Regs are just for fun and training your rotation.

LOL even more at people who are trying to accuse someone in "stealing from the team".

I guard objectives in only two cases:

1) Everyone has already left the node (so next time I will run away faster). Guarding a node is a time waste. Time that you could spend for fun. There is absolutely nothing you get because of winning reg warzone other than laughable amount of credits and wz comms.

2) We are getting stomped hard, and the only way to minimize the actual loss (yes, the farming team wins the warzone de-facto) is to win by objectives.

Well, sometimes so happens that a healer (or one of them squishier dps) is last one standing to cap the node after a fight - unless you're a stealth and your team has another healer then I guess it's okay to guard, but I do feel annoyed when I'm met with YOU CAPPED IT YOU GUARD IT when asking if any of the kill hungry assassins could possibly come to relieve a squishy non-stealth healer? As if I should have left a free node uncapped because I'm not the best class to guard? I've heard some people are afraid to cap nodes...

I've also done so that when seeing one or two folks running with orbs to our pylon I start running to the middle to grab more or help fight - because that makes sense in my non-gamer logic, to make a running switch? Your pylon won't be unguarded since people are running to it but also mid won't be missing the extra person busy carrying orbs for so long.

Of course I run back again with the orbs or after casting a few hits or heals or whatever since I can't be sure if the other runners understood my tactic and stayed guard until I'm back. I always assume they don't.

LOL at those people who care about medals and commendations in regs. There are ranked warzones for rewards. Regs are just for fun and training your rotation.

LOL even more at people who are trying to accuse someone in "stealing from the team".

I guard objectives in only two cases:

1) Everyone has already left the node (so next time I will run away faster). Guarding a node is a time waste. Time that you could spend for fun. There is absolutely nothing you get because of winning reg warzone other than laughable amount of credits and wz comms.

2) We are getting stomped hard, and the only way to minimize the actual loss (yes, the farming team wins the warzone de-facto) is to win by objectives.

You do realize, that swtor lost a significant amount of its pvp population when they pulled warzones from ranked pvp right? You do also realize their is no such thing as ranked warzones anymore? There is only ranked arenas which are reliant upon the most op classes at the time. So insulting a bunch of past and present pvpers who prefer the faction warzones might not be a smart thing to do.

Also op please ignore the people who are getting angry over nothing, you learn by doing, and pretty soon you will be able to map warzones out in your mind. What I mean by that is have a good idea where the enemy team will strike, and know how to hurt them back.

You were wrong to cap and leave it undefended IMO. If you cap it you are expected to defend it, thats the joy for taking the comm for the cap.

There is no way you could know for certain if anyone was around as there are stealth classes in the game you could not see.

Leaving it open is risking giving the match away over a few seconds of pew pew, dont be that guy.

You do realize, that swtor lost a significant amount of its pvp population when they pulled warzones from ranked pvp right? You do also realize their is no such thing as ranked warzones anymore? There is only ranked arenas which are reliant upon the most op classes at the time. So insulting a bunch of past and present pvpers who prefer the faction warzones might not be a smart thing to do.

Also op please ignore the people who are getting angry over nothing, you learn by doing, and pretty soon you will be able to map warzones out in your mind. What I mean by that is have a good idea where the enemy team will strike, and know how to hurt them back.

OP class argument is so typical for players that don't know how to deal with them. Also if we return 8v8 ranked warzones the most viable setup for them will be 8 operatives so...

Yeah if you cap you should guard too, I mean leaving no one at a capped node gives the enemy team free reign. I do get annoyed when im on my healer and no one can stop killing for 5 seconds to go cap. Especially when I am the only healer. Last week someone yelled (i.e. caps) in chat "why's the healer guarding, get over here". I said "someone guard node". No one comes. I get 3 people coming to ours and type 3 Inc in chat. Still no one comes. After holding them off for as long as I could (longer than should have been possible because sage haha) I get down to 10% and bubble. They get cap on the second try. I broke the bubble to stop them, but couldn't heal myself back up in time before being wrecked. Apparently not even sages can 3 on 1 lol.

OP class argument is so typical for players that don't know how to deal with them. Also if we return 8v8 ranked warzones the most viable setup for them will be 8 operatives so...

First I said whatever is op at the time because thats how people role, and in a little square box you can not counter over powering classes correctly, but when you have room to move like in a warzone then it becomes more then possible. For all the talk that people do not know how to deal with them, you should be aware of the fact that 8 operatives can be easily stopped with 8 commandos spamming stealth scan. Yes it works Ive used it before on my commando in the rear near my teams healers to muck up more then a few stealthers.

What is this? A troll thread? What on Gods green earth led you to believe that it was more helpful to your team to leave the main objective unguarded and go fight in the middle. Especially if the match was all but won. If your story is infact true you have to be up against the worst pug ever. The only way to win is to cap both and they don't make any attempt? Even if you never played a single match on any map common sense would tell you that was a bozo move. You're lucky I wasn't there. I would have called you out too. So much so you would've had to put me on ignore. And yes capping and running is a thing. Usually in lowbies and middies. Edited by Fiqh

Going to go into a bit more detail....

Say your team is winning on the coast, just using that wz as an example, and the team hits mid hard. Yes I know its called south lol. Your team is winning but then suddenly you lose the other bunker, and you look to see no where there. This is a demoralizing moment for a team, and can kill a team in a number of ways, all because someone capped and ran to where the action was. Always remember, and this is where the people who claim to be the best often falter, the other team is not stupid. They are always looking for a weak point to exploit, and when someone caps then runs off its a dream come true for the other team. As another poster pointed out it is something stealthers really love.

On the flip side if you were as close to winning as you claim, the other guy honestly was just being a spass and simply should have moved to counter the oops on your part. Anyone who has pvped long enough has seen this cap and run so many times it truly is beyond numbering. It has cost more teams a win then most other things.

Yep. People who play like that are selfish players, usually the loudest at telling everyone how good they are and how bad everyone else is. PVP is team play, playing as a team wins games, playing to be a hero loses them

Do what you want son. Tell the imps to bend over and just take it. Ahahahaha.

And this is the sort of attitude that makes newbies learn bad behaviours, bad tactics, bad attitudes, which leads to a toxic environment.

Which leads to people not want to play PVP or even try it.

We are currently trying to get new blood into PVP. Lots of us are trying to be positive and help build the community again. I'm sure we would all like you to get on board.