BitRaider

Derrias-Zan

I just wanted to confirm that I have decided to leave SWTOR, a game I pre-ordered and have played on and off from launch.

Is it the fantastic community, the enjoyable (albeit sometimes class biased) PvP or the great Star Wars Universe??! No, its a stupid bit of ADWARE that does nothing for my gaming experience, save destroy it,

I DO NOT WANT BIT RAIDER - I DO NOT WANT A FRESH INSTALL EVERY TIME THEY SNEAK IT ONTO MY COMPUTER - I DO NOT WANT TO MISS THE BOSS FIGHT BECAUSE I CRASHED DUE TO THIS RUBBISH.

This post is to apologise for being no longer tolerant and reducing the community of a game, I do enjoy and hope thrives. They wont have any more money out of me. Good luck all and may the force be with you!

I just wanted to confirm that I have decided to leave SWTOR, a game I pre-ordered and have played on and off from launch.

Is it the fantastic community, the enjoyable (albeit sometimes class biased) PvP or the great Star Wars Universe??! No, its a stupid bit of ADWARE that does nothing for my gaming experience, save destroy it,

I DO NOT WANT BIT RAIDER - I DO NOT WANT A FRESH INSTALL EVERY TIME THEY SNEAK IT ONTO MY COMPUTER - I DO NOT WANT TO MISS THE BOSS FIGHT BECAUSE I CRASHED DUE TO THIS RUBBISH.

This post is to apologise for being no longer tolerant and reducing the community of a game, I do enjoy and hope thrives. They wont have any more money out of me. Good luck all and may the force be with you!

I'm going to throw the BS flag here.

IF.. like many of us... you did preorder the game and on launch day loaded it and patched it from disk... then you DO NOT have Bitraider. When you install from disks, you get the original non-streaming patcher and client. They cannot "sneak" it on to your computer. The only way to get it would be to download from the website, OR manually set it to use bitraider (which would be hecka crazy do to IMO).

I have even migrated to a new PC since the game launched.. and I reinstalled from disk and patched from there and ...... NO BITRAIDER.

Edited by Andryah

IF.. like many of us... you did preorder the game and on launch day loaded it and patched it from disk... then you DO NOT have Bitraider. When you install from disks, you get the original non-streaming client. They cannot "sneak" it on to your computer. The only way to get it would be to download from the website, OR manually set it to use bitraider (which would be hecka crazy do to IMO).

I'm glad I'm not as confused as I thought. Thanks for saying what I was thinking. :)

One quick google search and you could've found out how to simply remove BitRaider. Goto your launcher.settings file and changes this:

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

, "bitraider_disable": false

to this

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

, "bitraider_disable": true

Save and close, also delete the BitRaider folder, the game will install the rest and then boom no more BitRaider, patience friend and google are always great help :)

Directions to remove Bitraider are here

That method doesnt work any longer because the bitraider folder returns right after starting the launcher who then starts to download. Also as long as the game is on the drive bitraider cant be uninstalled. And when you try to install the game you automatically get bitraider.

Edited by Zasszz

That method doesnt work any longer because the bitraider folder returns right after starting the launcher who then starts to download. Also as long as the game is on the drive bitraider cant be uninstalled. And when you try to install the game you automatically get bitraider.

Directions work fine still , bitraider folder will return if bitraider isnt disabled

IF.. like many of us... you did preorder the game and on launch day loaded it and patched it from disk... then you DO NOT have Bitraider. When you install from disks, you get the original non-streaming patcher and client. They cannot "sneak" it on to your computer. The only way to get it would be to download from the website, OR manually set it to use bitraider (which would be hecka crazy do to IMO).

I have even migrated to a new PC since the game launched.. and I reinstalled from disk and patched from there and ...... NO BITRAIDER.

if you dont modify the ini, it will install bitraider. you will not be asked. it isnt hard to stop this, but the default is bitraider

if you dont modify the ini, it will install bitraider. you will not be asked. it isnt hard to stop this, but the default is bitraider

I originally installed from the discs and my game is up to date. I have no Bitraider installed. So no, Bitraider does not get stealthed onto your system. I searched both my C: and D: drives - no Bitraider (and no updating problems either. :) )

P.s. There are no such lines as:

in my .ini file. (Neither "BR" nor "SSN" nor "false" nor "true")

Edited by JediQuaker

So the responses are I should remove BitRaider (done) and re-install game on a full download (done several times) OR I am lying because what I said was BS; very helpful that last one and completely ignorant of the pre-order purchase options!

As for pr-order ,I did, and it was a digital download, I have no disks. But is that really the point? The point is at no point was I asked to add this program. Given the fact that there are so many posts on this issue, time consuming ways of getting rid of it, it is clear I am not the only one. This program DOES get added by stealth because the forums would not have GET RID advice, rather DON'T OPT FOR.

I am glad that some people have disks and can avoid this problem so good for you, stick it to the man and all that! But I am not and this program always seems to get back there.

So the responses are I should remove BitRaider (done) and re-install game on a full download (done several times) OR I am lying because what I said was BS; very helpful that last one and completely ignorant of the pre-order purchase options!

As for pr-order ,I did, and it was a digital download, I have no disks. But is that really the point? The point is at no point was I asked to add this program. Given the fact that there are so many posts on this issue, time consuming ways of getting rid of it, it is clear I am not the only one. This program DOES get added by stealth because the forums would not have GET RID advice, rather DON'T OPT FOR.

I am glad that some people have disks and can avoid this problem so good for you, stick it to the man and all that! But I am not and this program always seems to get back there.

Doesn't matter if you only have digital (same here, got the digital deluxe version)

Get the setup from the website and install it, but do not run the launcher. Perform the steps listed above (disable bitraider and change the patching mode). then launch the patcher. profit.

And btw, calling bitraider "adware" makes it very clear you have no idea what that actually is, and prone to sensationalism. You'll get better help (and less vitriol) around here without that.

Best of luck.

Once you do it following the directions that Owenbrooks has listed then it does not come back. You either did not follow them or decided to skip a step.

• 1 year later...

FYI, I started the game with the disks as well, but recently had comp probs that led to a complete system wipe.

YOU CAN NO LONGER USE THE DISKS TO INSTALL. Therefore, though I've been playing for years, I am now dealing with bitraider issues. I am re- installing as we speak (I had downloaded from the site then uninstalled due to bitraider cuz I thought the disks would correct this issue), and customer service has given me a "solution" for getting rid of bitraider when I'm done re- installing (again).

I will follow up if it works, but this is ridiculous. Get rid of bitraider.

So their directions were pretty similar to what's been said.

in Star wars the old republic file location, open launcher.settings in notepad. Change "bitraider_disable": false to "bitraider_disable": true.

Then delete folders: Assets, bitraider, movies, swtor. And relaunch to redownload without bitraider.

On a re-install or new install , you do not need to download the game with bitraider before disabling.

as soon as the download starts stop the launcher and close it, make the change and the game will download and install as non streaming (no bitraider).

Edited by OwenBrooks

One quick google search and you could've found out how to simply remove BitRaider. Goto your launcher.settings file and changes this:

to this

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

, "bitraider_disable": true

Save and close, also delete the BitRaider folder, the game will install the rest and then boom no more BitRaider, patience friend and google are always great help :)

Do not just delete the bitraider folder. First uninstall (often only possible after killing the 2 or 3 bitraider processes in the task manager) the 2 or 3 bitraider entries via System/program and features. Then remove possible leftover bitraider directories on the hd. Last edit the config file like it was already described here.

You can also delete the bitraider format game files (I think it was the assets and video folders) since they are not needed anymore but that is not mandatory, they just take hd space because after launching the game now it will once download most files of the game in standard format, not overwriting the bitraider format files.

This is a one time effort and after this live happily ever after without one of the biggest pieces of crap software out there, which is bitraider. Only the gods of incompetence know why Bioware uses this bs. Resulting in super fast download times on patch days without thorough file checking of every single bit in the directory and no more other bitraider related problems as well.

Edited by Khaleg

The Stupid is Strong in this one!

I give the OP:

1 out of 10, on the Troll-O-Meter.... :rolleyes: