Do you use them?.

AussieAlan

Just curious if you use your crew skills and what for.

Personally I do to an extent, but mostly just selling off schematics I can not use on GTN.

I just find them useless, I am still new to MMO and only been playing this a couple of weeks, and just do not see any point past free credits, or maybe I am doing things wrong.

For example my first character Sith Jugg I gave him slicing, artifacts and synth, all the cloths I made were rubbish compared to what I already got just by killing and quests, at level 22 I got feed up and gave my agent sniper armstech scavenging and invest apart from a couple of knives that too has been a fruitless adventure.

I have read the tuts here and elsewhere so no need to post any.

Just wondering if anyone actually uses them for something.

Uhm... yes. Most people use them.

You can make better gear than drops/mission rewards (make greens, reverse engineer until you get the blue schematic you want, build that). And you can make gear for your alts. For instance, my agent is churning out heavy armor for my trooper.

You can also make a ton of money selling (blue and better) gear on the GTN.

You generally would want skills that work together (armormech, scavenging, and underworld trading).

Cyber is best first time

bio is nice

i actually liek armstech for the overkill augments, when i hit 50, i had full orange gear, so i remodded all drops and had 40 crit and enough surge while in a tionese and columni mix, so i put power augs on.

be sure to take the right combos though, and RE to get blue schems, those are good.

combos can be found in your codex

currently making over a million credits a day with Slicing, Scavenging and Armormech. hard to keep that up for more than 5 days. need a few days to gather more materials. it's far from fruitless. craft whatever is NOT on the gtn.

I use them so much I have 6 characters. I couldn't live without my Armormech gearing up my alts and companions, or my Synthweaver gearing up my force users and companions, or my Cybertech allowing me to rock awesome outfits and make me the monies, or my Artifice to compliment my Cybertech, and especially not my Slicer who just runs around making all my toons free money! I could live without my Armstech, the crafted gear is pretty lame and the barrels are only so useful considering barrels are easily enough obtained with planet/daily commendations.

For leveling and PvE content, the blue and purple schematics you can learn from Armormech and Synthweaving will blow any equal level quest reward or random drop out of the water. Add to it the fact that you have diverse options of gearing, with gear tailored to dps heals and tanks, and that with extensive reverse engineering for appropriate prefixes you can most definitely rock more role appropriate armor than anything you will more than likely find or be rewarded before end game. I don't even RE to purple, just hit Crit/Overkill/Redoubt blues and keep current which is honestly more than easy enough to do... and I get to take the commendations rewards for almost every mission, allowing me to fill out my weapons and various bits and pieces of custom armor with Commendations Modifications from each planet with less heroic grinding.

I am an odd man out in the sense that none of my characters are Biochem, but honestly none of my characters burn through medpacks/stims too frequently, and the real beneficial products require Biochem to use so it's sort of a waste beyond the character that has it. Biochem is a great investment for almost any player, probably one of the best options available aside from Cybertech... it's just not my cup of tea.

tl;dr I use a lot of crew skills!

Edited by Nythain

How do you give stuff to your other characters?, let me guess stupid legacy rubbish.

That is the thing for me, I never know how much to sell stuff for on GTN.

Thing that killed it for me, I found a custom sniper rifle (only good thing to come from Naa Sadaa) looked at it and it was -98 max damage, no mod would be able to make up for that.

I guess when its maxed its ok, but right now its jut useless, that and Morrigan (forget her name but is never happy unless you drowning kittens like Morrigan from DAO) has a bonus to armstech but can't use her for making things as I need her on missions.

How do you give stuff to your other characters?, let me guess stupid legacy rubbish.
Mail

Thing that killed it for me, I found a custom sniper rifle (only good thing to come from Naa Sadaa) looked at it and it was -98 max damage, no mod would be able to make up for that.

That's what mods are for. It's damage is determined by the level and quality of the barrel in it. Want it to do more damage, put a better barrel in it.

that and Morrigan (forget her name but is never happy unless you drowning kittens like Morrigan from DAO) has a bonus to armstech but can't use her for making things as I need her on missions.
That bonus is really only useful for efficiency and critical chance. In the case of making barrels with armstech, she'll make them faster and or have a better chance of making two of them instead of one, something that's not that important for personal use crafting. So you could honestly use your ship droid for crafting barrels with armstech until end game, where you'll really want crits on top end artifact stuff (mostly so you can sell the other one, or whatever). Also, considered having her craft while you're in a flashpoint or warzone or space mission etc?

My lvl 25 scoundrel uses her cybertech skills to make mods, armoring, earpieces, etc for the other characters in her legacy. I do similar things with my armstech and armormech and I added a Jedi w/artifice who is making endurance enhancements.

When you put a mod in, along with an enhancement, crystal and barrel/hilt, the min/max damage number goes up.. WAY up... There is no quest items or purchase items that are as strong as crafted items for your level.. In order to get the most out of your craft, you need to spend some time to RE to blue and purple quality items.

And as someone said earlier, get a Cybertech toon for Ear/Armoring/Mods and buy 1 set of custom gear (preferably legacy gear)while leveling. You replace the mods and such after you reach each level tier... I am already past act 2 on my Sniper and have not reached lvl 38 yet...

So yeah crafting is VERY useful... especially when you have multiple toons...

Personally, I sell LOTS of blue quality augments from armormech and synthweaving and then I craft gear for alts that is typically FAR superior to quest rewards and even slightly superior to moddable gear for level appropriate flashpoints.

• 2 weeks later...

Every freaking day.

Almost everyone touched on most of the reasons I do, but I find that if I'm even the slightest overleveled, then the quest rewards can't keep up with me. Neither can the commendation awards.

Example: I'm playing some lowbie characters. I left Coruscant at Level 19. The highest level gear I could buy with comms was Level 15.

How does that help me?

Not to mention that unless you're playing a tank class, it's hard to get the item mods geared for you using comms.

I took Cybertech to start with having no idea what I was doing (I thought it made IC sense for my Cyborg Smuggler), and in hindsight, it was the best 'accident' I could've made. I sell low-level Prototype armoring on the GTN for credits, and use it to keep all my leveling toons geared when the rewards/comms don't cut it. I use Artifice for the Enhancements, Hilts, and Crystals, which are rarer than hen's teeth as a drop in day-to-day play (I had a crystal drop for my Trooper back when she was Level 34, and I realized I was running around with a Level 15 crystal in my gun). I didn't make as much use with Biochem with my Sage while leveling except to have the reusable stim for her, but I'm now using it to make stat-specific Implants for my characters.

And then there's the ability to craft armor /you/ want to wear using Synthweaving or Armormech. There is a lot of really ugly armor in the game, and the ability to make exactly what I want and not have to depend on the whims of people overcharging for it on the GTN? Priceless.

That doesn't even get into the ability to craft endgame stuff, which you can't even do unless you level your crafting skill up to 400.

I use it mostly for my alts. My main is a 46 right now, but she's fully maxed in crafting. Artifice just doesn't seem to do much for me. I used to be able to sell Crystals fairly well on the GTN, but not anymore and none of the lightsabers I can make ever sell that well either. Recently though I've found a nice niche with the lower level enhancements as it seems there are never any on the market so I just started making a bunch of blue and purple ones and putting them up and now I'm getting some good sales.

Just curious if you use your crew skills and what for.

Personally I do to an extent, but mostly just selling off schematics I can not use on GTN.

I just find them useless, I am still new to MMO and only been playing this a couple of weeks, and just do not see any point past free credits, or maybe I am doing things wrong.

For example my first character Sith Jugg I gave him slicing, artifacts and synth, all the cloths I made were rubbish compared to what I already got just by killing and quests, at level 22 I got feed up and gave my agent sniper armstech scavenging and invest apart from a couple of knives that too has been a fruitless adventure.

I have read the tuts here and elsewhere so no need to post any.

Leveling up, a bit although the stuff that you can make doesn't really speed things up much as mission rewards generally keep your gear relevant for the content. At level 50 I rarely do anything with crew skills because all the stuff that anyone would be interested in is BoP (except mods, enhancements etc.) and I'm not much for grinding out profits on minor items in the GTN.

Honestly, there's more credits to be made in selling the materials used to make things (including mods, enhancements etc.) than there ever is in the actual crafted products. So, I will sell materials garnered from gathering crew skills or dropped in OPS and FP's but I pretty much never use my crafting crew skills except to make the odd item for an alt.

I use them all the time but I've always enjoyed crafting in MMOs. Right now I 'm spending far more time crafting than questing/leveling. I like being self-sufficient in all craft skills, but it's also fun to 'play the market' and identify opportunities and grab bargain-priced mats and schematics. I do a reasonable trade on most of my characters, but I tend to price things within the range of what new players can afford. I don't intend or expect to become wealthy, but being self-sufficient means I don't really need to be.

This is where you're wrong.

Most (a lot) of is use the orange custom weapons/gear that we have had for most of the game, just keep slapping in upgrades.

Transferring stuff to alts... mail.

Buy the cheaper version of legacy gear to transfer the bound armorings,mods,enhancements,barrels etc...

If it's unbound just mail it without putting it into gear.

One of the things I wish they would look at is how some of the stuff binds. I think it's silly that I can craft a lvl 47 or 50 light saber(orange that can be modded) but it comes with no mods and a crap early level color crystal in it but if I try to put mods or enhancements into it to make it more enticing on the GTN it binds to me and I can't do anything with it. I would love to be able to create a modable saber that I can slap a high level crystal in with high level enhancement/hilt and then be able to put that on the GTN.

Yep, I definitely use them. First time MMOer here, took me a while before discovering the usefulness of crafting and the GTN, but you can make a lot of credits selling materials (especially stacks) and items you crafted. I use Bioanalysis and Biochem to gather materials for and craft implants, medpacs, stims and adrenals. Even at lower levels, you can make plenty of credits with it. Playing the RNG to get the purple items can require some investment in terms of cash and time, but it's well worth it.

I also regularly buy materials from the GTN, since that's usually a whole lot faster than running a gazillion gathering missions (and sometimes not even a whole lot more expensive), and some materials are crafted, so I have to buy those anyway, since you can have only one crafting skill.

I have all of them at 400, and use all of them. Some more than others of course.

- Cybertech and Artifice I use all the time. Armoring, mods, earpieces, crystals. You never have enough. Mostly to level up my alts, or to sell off as I research higher level schematics. Followed by Armstech for the barrels.

- Biotech has come along lately and I use it, but mostly for the implants.

- Armormech and Synthweaving I use less. Because I use orange gear mostly, Once I choose my oranges there is little reason to change them. But many of them sell very well on the GTN.

I also run the missions all the time since I have been upgrading affection on all my toons to take advantage of affection boost on legacy. So the more presents, the better. So even on my L50s already at 400 I keep running missions all the time, for materials and/or presents. Nothing goes to waste.

Note : I have 8 toons, one of every class/faction.

Use all my crafts all the time to make leveling gear for alts and friends.

Sometimes its even just green quality stuff that is made from super cheap mats from crew missions or GTN.

- On level crafted greens end up being cheaper than mods from mod venders, and it's the same mods.

Most of the time I make blue quality items, just because on level, they're better than 90% of the drops. I just batch up enough, and sell the extras from crits on the GTN. I make blue armors for companions from armormech & synth, just so I don't have to bother with so many mods.

On my alts, I refresh my gear every five levels, and automatically vender any drop that isn't modablle. Just so I can focus on questing and pretty much ignore the loot.

I don't bother with purple leveling gear, unless I've developed a second stack of purple mats from crew missions I need to burn up. And if I make any of those items, I sell them on the GTN.

I love the feeling of producing and making profits. I craft and sell as much as possible.

I have 10 lvl 50 toons with various crafting skill. Managing them with coordination and making production is so much fun for me. I usually spend 30 minutes with crafting before actually playing the game. Jumping from one toon to another, sending them to missions and wishing for luck is just fun :) Of course I didn't mention making credits...

I use them for leveling characters and giving them and other alts decent gear. Once I max out a certain crafting skill, I'll learn the advanced schematics and start selling them.

Right now the only character with a maxed out crafting skill is my Sniper with Armstech. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Armstech gets any cool new schematics like Armormech or Synthweaving, so right now I'm just crafting the highest level weapons I have, Reverse-engineering them, and using the MK-6 Augment components to make augments.

If you keep up with your crafting on a fresh rolled toon, you'll easily be able to get some really good gear at the lower levels. I'm leveling a Scoundrel with Cybertech right now, and I've been crafting advanced armoring, mods, and earpieces for myself and companions. It's really helpful for keeping yours or your companions gear up-to-date.