What triggered our newfound OPness?

CJNJ

So yeah, apparently snipers are going to be the new FOTMs now in pvp. Seeing as everyone in this community will soon be a fotm due to ignorance by our peers, why don't we discuss what makes us awesome.

Is it because with our new roll sent/maras will now completely hard countered by us? "This is unacceptable because sentinels should be te best because that's what I play"

Is it because we have cover and are uninterruptable, while the other two rDPS classes can simply walk around a corner to avoid our damage, one of which now has a move so we can't stop them from moving. "I'm a sorc, I should be able to face tank everything"

Maybe it's our stealth detect, so those poor stealthies can't walk right up to our face to start attacking, but rather must attack from the rear. Blasphemy.

Maybe it's that unbelievable burst we get on live, which only ever refers to MM, and how it will be so OP come 2.0, even though now everyone has 30k hp, our FT, while more uptime, is weaker, and outside of SoS the rest of our damage numbers didn't really change.

That's what I got out of PTS, I'm not sure about the rest of you but I don't think we deserve the fotm title yet. Anyone else have any thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello fellow ctr+alt+elite member.

The reason why sniper has got so much attention recently is because the slow evolving metagame. We were supposed to raise in numbers after 1.4 when smash rulled. And we did dominate smash back then, no problem, however there was only a few of us so nobody actuall noticed that we can beat the crap out of melee.

PTS agregated some of the best SWTOR snipers all in one place, which of course they comletely demolished the hordes of easy mode melee players. And this has caught their attention.

The roll itself has exacerbated their feeling because players tend to notice only something that works against them, not the opposite. Nobody has noticed that roots are essentialy removed form SWTOR with all this tons of root breakers added to swtor 2.0. Developers saw this, and they gave us the roll. The players did not. They only see sniper having an ability to increase the distance. This got melee MAD.

Take a look at the most of sniper whining threads, most of them do not even know about what sniper spec they are talking about, they just say snipers are op, not MM is op, not lethality is OP. This is a typical response to slow metagame change which in our case being called FOTM.

I remember... the day that I found my OPness was a good day.

I honestly think it's just bad players whining about an AC they don't fully understand. They may have even tried playing one, but because they couldn't play it well, they didn't think anyone else should be able to either.

Like you mentioned, they fail to understand the context in which we have our extra mobility. Knights/Warriors can break roots with their leap, all troopers/BHs get hold the line, shadows/assassins can teleport... but for some reason we're singled out? OK.

At the end of the day, players are whining about an AC that isn't even finalized, busting their QQ load prematurely because they are so afraid that maybe for once, their AC will have some competition.

I actually think B'oard's parse of 2900+ dps for Engineering in the "legit dps claims for 2.0" thread contributes to this a lot as well. People see that number, they see a few others complaining, and that's it.... and based on those two things they claim "Snipers are OP."

I 100% agree though, they don't really know what is OP or what spec they are playing against. It's just an excuse that is used whenever they lose to a Sniper.

That 2.9k DPS parse is also in an AoE heavy fight where the spec is good, people are going to roll it and try it in PvP only to realise it's not as good as they were expecting, and I will enjoy the day that happens.

I've had Sniper for a main quite some time now, and It makes me sad to realise all these baddies rolling FoTM class just so they can be terrible and still look somewhat good. Though, I will take pleasure in smashing said baddies heads in with my Sniper when the time comes.

The ones I'm talking about will be so easy to spot.

I thought for a while I was going to give up my Sniper because I just feel terrible playing alongside these people, but I've just decided I'll stick to it. Don't see why I should re-roll or swap chars simply to avoid being labelled as FoTM.

Now this is just a personal question but seeing as we come out of cover during our sniper roll, couldn't we still get jumped to? Or does the roll still block all of that stuff?

You can be charged, but not rooted during the roll.. as I understand it.

Like the ones above, I'll enjoy schooling the FOTM-rerollers ^^

So yeah, apparently snipers are going to be the new FOTMs now in pvp. Seeing as everyone in this community will soon be a fotm due to ignorance by our peers, why don't we discuss what makes us awesome.

Is it because with our new roll sent/maras will now completely hard countered by us? "This is unacceptable because sentinels should be te best because that's what I play"

Is it because we have cover and are uninterruptable, while the other two rDPS classes can simply walk around a corner to avoid our damage, one of which now has a move so we can't stop them from moving. "I'm a sorc, I should be able to face tank everything"

Maybe it's our stealth detect, so those poor stealthies can't walk right up to our face to start attacking, but rather must attack from the rear. Blasphemy.

Maybe it's that unbelievable burst we get on live, which only ever refers to MM, and how it will be so OP come 2.0, even though now everyone has 30k hp, our FT, while more uptime, is weaker, and outside of SoS the rest of our damage numbers didn't really change.

That's what I got out of PTS, I'm not sure about the rest of you but I don't think we deserve the fotm title yet. Anyone else have any thoughts?

FOTM, Flavor Of The Month . I knew it when i logged onto PTS, seeing a Gunslinger and what i belive is a juggernaut on the intro picture. That is of course the reason some trolls think we will become FOTM. :rolleyes:

Along with Juggernaut/guardians of course. This picture. Considering the improved shield mechanics and what the other classes got,

i don't see any other serious reason.

That 2.9k DPS parse is also in an AoE heavy fight where the spec is good, people are going to roll it and try it in PvP only to realise it's not as good as they were expecting, and I will enjoy the day that happens.

I've had Sniper for a main quite some time now, and It makes me sad to realise all these baddies rolling FoTM class just so they can be terrible and still look somewhat good. Though, I will take pleasure in smashing said baddies heads in with my Sniper when the time comes.

The ones I'm talking about will be so easy to spot.

I thought for a while I was going to give up my Sniper because I just feel terrible playing alongside these people, but I've just decided I'll stick to it. Don't see why I should re-roll or swap chars simply to avoid being labelled as FoTM.

Nope, it was on the operations training dummy. The reason why it does that much damage, is because an engineering sniper's covered escape drops scatter bombs which detonate for large amounts of damage. The spec really only works well with bosses that have large hit boxes. Pretty much Titan, Thrasher, Writhing Horror, Operator IX, and Kephess for 2.0. The spec will still shine in AOE, but that is still 2.9k single-target damage. Even then, it is probably the hardest spec to play effectively, because of that "gimmick" if you would call it one, so the extra damage is justified. Maybe it could be toned down a little, but it isn't extremely overpowered.

Edited by bbare

Snipers have never been "OP" and probably never will be. Melee players fear that the new roll ability means that it will actually take some degree of effort/skill to get in melee range. The melee players complaining about the new roll ability would like to be able to faceroll snipers in the same manner that they currently faceroll mercs. It currently is fairly easy for melee players to close the gap on every map other than Huttball (it's extremely easy for them if your team doesn't support you and keep their melee players occupied), so the staunch opposition to the new roll ability by melee players is not that surprising.

A lot of people might end up re-rolling snipers because of the hype, but that doesn’t mean the class will be “OP”.

OPness scream was triggered by damage numbers from final tables on PTS RWZs.

While smashers always have comparavle numbers, dealt with 7k + hits, and it was ok cause it existed for a long time, folks were so terrified by numbers caused by 1,5 k ticks ... Imba.

Nevertheless, that final tables showed that for every 1 kk lol grenade throwers managed to achieve every healer got 2 -3 kk in heals. Means that damage is crap.

Expertise heal increase now fully underrates basic pvp trauma and there is increase in AoE heals department from all healing classes, meaning that lol ticks were and would be healed no prob.

Not sure what FOTM means but as I understand, sniper is going to be better than others for a while in PvP. That's a bit unfortunate for me, because I came to swtor few weeks ago, picked a sniper without knowing anything about this update. Reached lvl 50 this past weekend and now people are going to think that I'm one of those who picked the class because of this change.

Snipers aren't OP at all.

If anything, Operatives are. Sure they lack a little less burst, but their damage isn't far behind. They also don't get as long range as a Sniper, but in turn get self heals, stealth, a roll with no cooldown that can kite ANY class whilst also proccing a free 4k+ heal.

Already said this in another thread, but I welcome all the baddies rolling Sniper, I'll be happy to see you all soon on my Operative :cool:

Not sure what FOTM means but as I understand, sniper is going to be better than others for a while in PvP. That's a bit unfortunate for me, because I came to swtor few weeks ago, picked a sniper without knowing anything about this update. Reached lvl 50 this past weekend and now people are going to think that I'm one of those who picked the class because of this change.

This isn't the case at all. People are thinking they are overpowered because they parse high on a dummy that doesn't move, use defensive abilities or be healed. Snipers are very easy to kite and their burst requires cast times.

P.S. None of this is bias as I have every class at level 50 (except Merc/Mando) and fully war hero geared if not only a few pieces off.

Edited by WaldoA

what triggered it?

Bads that don't understand that crit rating went down in the PTS, tanks are gonna be shielding almost every attack and a parse made in PVE that was too high.

That and the bad knights/warriors that can't understand how to shutdown a sniper

Snipers got some nice upgrades and people have only just noticed them. I remember when a pug sniper in Ranked WZs that was undergeared was rolling people. People don't notice how great a class is until it hits them in the face. I think the increase in smashers and that sorcs and mercs are somewhat squishy and underpowered.

Nope, it was on the operations training dummy. The reason why it does that much damage, is because an engineering sniper's covered escape drops scatter bombs which detonate for large amounts of damage. The spec really only works well with bosses that have large hit boxes. Pretty much Titan, Thrasher, Writhing Horror, Operator IX, and Kephess for 2.0. The spec will still shine in AOE, but that is still 2.9k single-target damage. Even then, it is probably the hardest spec to play effectively, because of that "gimmick" if you would call it one, so the extra damage is justified. Maybe it could be toned down a little, but it isn't extremely overpowered.

Why should it be toned down? Re: "large amounts of damage:" a single Scatter Bomb for me does around ~1800 damage. If it crits with relic/adrenal it hits for up to 4000. The 5 bombs are dropped in a trail over an 18 METER LINE and makes it difficult to be effective in humanoid bosses who have smaller hit boxes/hit circles.

If you check this picture http://i.imgur.com/mcSi4JP.png you can see how many (or how few) of the more recent bosses have hit boxes big enough for Engineering to be viable. In an actual raid setting, even on these bosses, you can have at least 3 (if you mess up your positioning), 4 (if you had good positioning) or 5 (if you have perfect positioning) Scatter Bombs to hit.

In NiM TFB these bosses will be

1) Writhing Horror

2) Operator IX

3) TFB (unique mechanics)

3 out of 5 bosses.

In HM S&V these bosses will be

1) Titan 6

2) Thrasher

3) Dashroode (to some extent but it is harder to pull off due to the mechanics of that fight)

3 out of 7 bosses.

That's 5 (if you don't count dashroode) or 6 out of 12 bosses where Engineering is exceptional. This makes Scatter Bombs hardly overpowered in PVE. There is imo no need for any kind of damage nerf. I think Full Engineering is fine; MM and Lethality will still be mostly preferable and will have their place in operations. What BW did was add nothing but more variety to the way Snipers can do PVE DPS. On another note, if we had another boss like Bonetrasher.. lol that is a fight where you can definitely have 5 Scatter Bombs hit thus making it very possible to reach that 2900 single target ops dummy DPS (Arkanian gear).

I dont understand why people would call "Positioning-For-DPS," gimmicky :(. I think it's innovative and not just your usual: target -> follow rotation -> repeat kind of spec. What other mmo/class has this kind of sustained DPS?

Also if you play League of Legends, Engi sniper with scatter bombs kind of plays like Tryndamere (although a ranged one) lol

Edited by paowee

Snipers aren't OP at all.

If anything, Operatives are. Sure they lack a little less burst, but their damage isn't far behind. They also don't get as long range as a Sniper, but in turn get self heals, stealth, a roll with no cooldown that can kite ANY class whilst also proccing a free 4k+ heal.

Already said this in another thread, but I welcome all the baddies rolling Sniper, I'll be happy to see you all soon on my Operative :cool:

This isn't the case at all. People are thinking they are overpowered because they parse high on a dummy that doesn't move, use defensive abilities or be healed. Snipers are very easy to kite and their burst requires cast times.

P.S. None of this is bias as I have every class at level 50 (except Merc/Mando) and fully war hero geared if not only a few pieces off.

Operatives are the farthest from OP you could ever see. Snipers on the other hand are incredibly OP with the change to Alacrity. Now they literaly CANT run out of energy. and pair that with all the other buffs Snipers will be hitting the top charts in all DPS (Marksman that is but isnt that the only way to play sniper is MM?)

Operatives are the farthest from OP you could ever see. Snipers on the other hand are incredibly OP with the change to Alacrity. Now they literaly CANT run out of energy. and pair that with all the other buffs Snipers will be hitting the top charts in all DPS (Marksman that is but isnt that the only way to play sniper is MM?)

You do realize that alacrity does nearly nothing to energy regen, right?

Honestly, I never ran out of energy, ever ever since Sniper Volley became capstone and I refined my rotation.

In other news: You're both misinformed, and wrong.

That wasn't in a aoe heavy fight. That parse was on the operations training dummy which is sitting beside a wall which made it so that when i rolled,l the dummy gets hit by all 5 scatter bombs. In a raid setting, having 4 - 5 scatter bombs hit can only be done on bosses with big hit boxes like Operator, Titan 6, Thrasher, etc.

Edited by paowee

its not new found Opness. Its ignorance and placebo. When all the talk come out that they were wrecking people on the test server, many started rolling them to make sure they would have one. they find that they are dominating the wzs while they are leveling and think yup this is the next thing.

Snipers ALWAYS dominated the below 50 WZ's. i had no trouble pwning people even back in the days of early access. 30 meter execute sees to that.

The moment 80% of the players hit 50 they get wiped completely and utterly because they dont use more than a 1/4 of their tools. no more of this snipe, sniper execute. So they stop playing the class.

I dont see it being any different this time round.

Also I decied to jump on it early. Been ****** all the new snipers on my operative. Some to the point of rage quit

Edited by Kalliadies

its not new found Opness. Its ignorance and placebo. When all the talk come out that they were wrecking people on the test server, many started rolling them to make sure they would have one. they find that they are dominating the wzs while they are leveling and think yup this is the next thing.

Snipers ALWAYS dominated the below 50 WZ's. i had no trouble pwning people even back in the days of early access. 30 meter execute sees to that.

The moment 80% of the players hit 50 they get wiped completely and utterly because they dont use more than a 1/4 of their tools. no more of this snipe, sniper execute. So they stop playing the class.

I dont see it being any different this time round.

Also I decied to jump on it early. Been ****** all the new snipers on my operative. Some to the point of rage quit

That was kinda te point of the thread, we got a few new toys and small changes to damage numbers and suddenly everyone thinks snipers got super buffed above the others. A roll that takes us out of cover that receives some buff from each spec, a dot cleanse on dodge, and a cone of stealth detection.

One spec got a stronger SoS at the cost of their biggest move becoming weaker(FT), one spec got execute in rotation at the cost of energy management, and the other spec got some extra defense and the chance to be viable in pve. Did I miss anything?

Sure some classes did get the bad end of the stick come 2.0(sorry tactics/AP), but other classes got buffed much more(twin glowsticks?)

FT got weaker but with an higher up time, SoS triggering it is a massive QoL buff for the spec, its much more fluid.

You can now reliably say the cd on FT became 3 seconds.

The Eng cluster bomb well i suspect if eng sniper rape large bosses to much with it they'll do something about it.

Seriously dude, you shouldn't care so much what other people think.

Truthfully I don't see that all the fuss about the roll is. Is a forward roll actually taking us closer the the player not farther away. Its not all that far a roll either so even if we wait until the mob is on us slow then and roll though them. But the time we get turned back about, there almost back on us again anyway. I could understand if it was a backwards roll and putting more distance between toons. But don't see the fuss as it is now.