Light sided Sith

MouseNoFour

Not necessarily. That's a "grey" force user.

Light Sith = Drawing on compassion, mercy, and other positive emotions

That's how I've always thought of it anyways, seems to be the most supported by SW lore so...

Yes, but those emotions do not give you nearly as much access to the darkside as pure dark sith have access to. It is also not as strong as pure light jedi, therefore light sith are weaker than both. Not sure why i have to keep repeating myself for you guys. This isn't even that controversial.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. That's a "grey" force user.

Dark Sith = Drawing on hatred, rage and other negative emotions

Light Sith = Drawing on compassion, mercy, and other positive emotions

Light Jedi = Successfully suppressing emotion to remain objectivity

Dark Jedi = Failed to, or at least was taught to, suppress emotion, and failed.

That's how I've always thought of it anyways, seems to be the most supported by SW lore so...

Drawing on positive emotions don't allow you to use dark side abilities. Dark Side abilities are drawn on by negative emotion. You need to channel your hatred to use Force Lightning. As I said, if the Light Side story is Canon the Sith in question wouldn't be spamming dark side abilities. There's several points where you can actually tell the other Sith to teach the use of the Light Side of the force and you pretty much embrace the Jedi Code. You can quote sections of it in your story.

Drawing on positive emotions don't allow you to use dark side abilities. Dark Side abilities are drawn on by negative emotion. You need to channel your hatred to use Force Lightning. As I said, if the Light Side story is Canon the Sith in question wouldn't be spamming dark side abilities. There's several points where you can actually tell the other Sith to teach the use of the Light Side of the force and you pretty much embrace the Jedi Code. You can quote sections of it in your story.

In the Plagueis novel Plagueis himself says that Jedi, using only "good" emotions, can use Force Lightning. Plagueis also says that it's not as powerful as the Dark Side version, but that may just be a Sith being Sithy.

YMMV.

Thank you. In the Darth Bane series, Bane had to kill 2 children in front of their father's eyes to sustain himself when severly wounded (the father's pain gave him strength). A pure light jedi could have healed himself, but the gray light sith would not be able to draw strength from this act, thereby dying due to his weakness. There are many examples supporting this view, and if we seriously have to debate something as obvious as light sith being weaker than dark sith then we will never be able to have any form of substantitive debate. I wish we could move past this and discuss far more interesting star wars philosophy, like the effectiveness of the rule of two. In the meantime i will enjoy killing scrub jedi and light sith in pvp.

Thank you. In the Darth Bane series, Bane had to kill 2 children in front of their father's eyes to sustain himself when severly wounded (the father's pain gave him strength). A pure light jedi could have healed himself, but the gray light sith would not be able to draw strength from this act, thereby dying due to his weakness. There are many examples supporting this view, and if we seriously have to debate something as obvious as light sith being weaker than dark sith then we will never be able to have any form of substantitive debate. I wish we could move past this and discuss far more interesting star wars philosophy, like the effectiveness of the rule of two. In the meantime i will enjoy killing scrub jedi and light sith in pvp.

That depends. If the Light Sith is Canon chances are he'll be using the Light Side of the force. I mean, in force unleashed you use dark side powers throughout the entire game but in the novel this isn't true. In the novel when he went to Light Side he started using only the light side of the force. I'm sure the Sith Warrior would actually be using the Light Side of the force (Canon wise) rather than the Dark Side or at least mostly be using the Light Side. Revan on the other hand does use both sides and isn't a weakling. However, he'd be much more powerful than he currently is if he embraced one side entirely.

Yes, but those emotions do not give you nearly as much access to the darkside as pure dark sith have access to.

And where exactly is that written in the lore? You keep claiming it's true, but I haven't seen much to back it up.

But then again you don't seem to feel you need anything like evidence or sources from the lore, your opinion is enough.

This is a post from jorander about the sith the LS sith are not sith the sith was founded on the dark side and lore states you cannot use positive emotions to fuel dark side powers they will be either exteremly weak or out right not work(which happens majority of the time).

edit: About revan he did fall to the dark side again in the flashpoint considering all the rocks and force lightning flying around the screen during the fight lets not forget his buff switching to power of the dark side. Also the PC can point out that revan is corrupted.

Post starts

What you are running into here, is the same realization that Darth Revan, Darth Bane, and later, Darth Sidious, came to, and that is, if one wants the ultimate power of the dark side, one has to be consumed by the dark side. To be consumed is to master, and to master is to be consumed. They are one and the same. In the case of many of the Sith that we would label as consumed by their emotions, they are in fact, quite the opposite. Note that being consumed by the power of the dark side and being consumed by one's emotions are not the same thing.

This was actually the very thing that Darth Bane began to fear the first time he killed someone in the dueling ring on Korriban in the academy of the Brotherhood of Darkness. He asked himself, "If gaining the power of the dark side means losing all that control, then where is the worth?" It was at that point that he very nearly adopted a philosophy very similar to what the Jedi teach on the nature of emotional balance and control. The problem with the idea that Bane nearly embraced, is that it is limiting, at least in the eyes of the Sith.

Sith philosophy can easily be understood as one of self-validation through personal strength, when one examines their teachings, apart from the code, then looks at the code after the fact. Since we don't really have a documented Sith handbook (that will be coming out in about a month) all we can do is extrapolate based on presented ideas and actions.

The first practitioners of the dark side sought the power of what was then called, "Bogan," for the purpose of gaining immortality. Later outcast dark Jedi melded with the Sith species to form the Sith empire. From here we can begin to see a common thread between the various Sith that appear throughout the setting. They believe the Jedi teachings are too limited, because they don't allow access to a certain aspect of the Force. They are always seeking more power.

They believe that the path to the power of the Force lies through strong emotions, which we know is how one accesses the dark side, which many of them teach to be the "true nature," of the Force, characterizing the "light side," as nothing more than the Force restrained, and in a sense they are right. They also believe that the strong rule and survive (which, in the eyes of the Sith, are arguably one and the same) while the weak serve and die.

We know that, according to many Sith masters, including several of the strongest in the setting, that if one is to use the dark side, one is bound to serve the dark side. Power, but at a cost. Interesting, we begin to see what could be considered a contradiction, the strong rule/live, weak serve/die, but here, we see the Sith admitting to serving the dark side, so they can be strong. This is not a contradiction, this is a progression, from a place of weakness, to a place of strength.

For a Sith, mastery of the dark side, is to, at the same time, be consumed, and in control. Once one's weakness is consumed by darkness, one can draw on the strength of the dark side. (Peace is a lie, there is only passion, through passion, I gain strength, through strength, I gain power.) Power, is the ultimate goal of the Sith. But wait, isn't there more to the Sith code? Didn't Palpatine aspire to more than just being really strong? Well, in his own way, no, he didn't, and that is covered by the Sith code.

The goal of the Sith is power, we see that is all they are ever working toward. First and foremost, their goal is to be strong, and this is again covered by Darth Revan and Darth Bane, when they say that to gain the full strength of the dark side, one must seek power, "for power's sake." So then, why does the code say, "through power, I gain victory?" It is commonly thought, that the Sith use the power mentioned, to achieve some kind of victory, be it victory over enemies, victory over oneself, victory over...take your pick. Well, the answer is in the actions and presented teachings of the Sith. One must seek power, for power's sake. Power is the goal. Achievement of power, is the condition for victory. It is in the achievement of power that victory is met, "through power, I gain victory." The next two lines of course, fall into place nicely from there. In meeting the conditions for victory, they are made all-powerful through the Force.

Once one completely and totally understands the mechanics of the dark side, and their relation to Sith philosophy, it becomes quite apparent that the ultimate end of the progression of the darksider, is the complete and total annihilation of all life everywhere. Kudos to Malgus for figuring that out. But he is still dumb about other things.

Post ends.

Edited by lokdron

Wait... Wrong about it being used, or wrong about it being weak?

Weak. According to what I have read anyway, Emerald Lightning is every bit as powerful as Sith Lightning, in some cases more so. Cade Skywalker could use to both kill and heal people.

That depends. If the Light Sith is Canon chances are he'll be using the Light Side of the force. I mean, in force unleashed you use dark side powers throughout the entire game but in the novel this isn't true. In the novel when he went to Light Side he started using only the light side of the force. I'm sure the Sith Warrior would actually be using the Light Side of the force (Canon wise) rather than the Dark Side or at least mostly be using the Light Side. Revan on the other hand does use both sides and isn't a weakling. However, he'd be much more powerful than he currently is if he embraced one side entirely.

I foundationally ignore tfu as canon but your last sentence summarizes my thoughts.

And where exactly is that written in the lore? You keep claiming it's true, but I haven't seen much to back it up.

But then again you don't seem to feel you need anything like evidence or sources from the lore, your opinion is enough.

Read the Darth Bane series for one, or you could just open your eyes and see the example i provided.

Read the Darth Bane series for one, or you could just open your eyes and see the example i provided.

After thinking about it a bit, I still don't see what you mean, or how a LS Sith would be weaker then a DS Sith.

After thinking about it a bit, I still don't see what you mean, or how a LS Sith would be weaker then a DS Sith.

You didn't really present a counter argument there. Just keep reading my posts and maybe you'll get it. Again, the Darth Bane series really provides insight into much of the different aspects of the dark side. If you haven't read it then you are truly missing out on a foundational aspect of the dark side lore (and im not saying that just because the series shows how the rule of 2 came to be).

Edited by DarthPunitor

Here's how I see it. LS Sith embraces all emotions, and knows how to use them to make the world a better place. Yes, even hatred and anger. Because let's face it: Some guys just need killin'.

If you interpret the Sith Code as I believe it was meant to be interpreted, it's about inner struggle and how to use your emotions without letting them consume you.

LS Jedi is a tool. Nothing more. If he REALLY has suppressed all emotion, he becomes a drone. Granted, it's all based on the misinterpretation of the Jedi Code, but there you have it. Yes, the Jedi Councils throughout Star Wars history have taken it in as literal a sense as possible, and the Jedi have paid the ultimate price. More Jedi fell BECAUSE of the Code's restrictiveness than before it was revised.

Ever since the code was revised on George Lucas's orders, it's been all downhill for the Jedi Order....

My Marauder is completely Light Sided. I rationalize/roleplay it as follows:

In her opinion, the Sith code makes sense: Passion is good, strength (of character) is good, and the quest for inner strength builds character, thus setting you free (obviously, this is not the interpretation of the code most Sith adhere to).

Thing is...She just wishes other people didn't treat the code as a license to be raging jerks. In her mind, sure, the Sith code invites you to seek strength...but that doesn't mean you should oppress the weak. Other way around: If you're strong, you are supposed to protect the weak, and teach them to seek strength themselves.

...So, obviously, she's completely heretical.

My guild chides me (in good fun) on my Powertech and Sniper for being light-sided when we run stuff together and I don't execute the prisoners or kill the refugees. They joke in a HM is that the NPC has a 25% to live. :p I quite like the light sided options and they fit their personalities well.

My Chiss Juggernaut is light 2, but she has a lot of dark (She'd be light 4 if she went pure light). She's the angry daughter of my Sniper and wants a lot of payback for her mother's story. She treats anyone she feels was part of her mother's torment very harshly but lets go anyone she feels is innocent or has been victimized like her mother was. It's a fun mechanic for playing her.

Edited by IronSalamander

The way I approached my light sided sith was basically, he rejected the constant cruelty and backstabbing of the Traditional sith as pointless, but he also viewed the Jedi ideas of supressing emotions as dangerous and corrupt. One thing I wish I could have tried to impress upon Jaesa would have been hisopinion of the jedi code, "Surpressing all emotions is dangerous, and even counter intuitive. Rather, we should seek to control our emotions. I feel anger as I fight, but I recognize it as anger, and do not let it consume me or dictate my actions. By allowing myself to feel emotions but not becoming consumed by them, I can achieve a fuller understanding of the force. True understanding of the force comes through feeling and understanding your emotions while remaining at piece."

That's at least what I've come to believe is probably the best approach to the light side.

it should be like this sith darkside, jedi lightside, smuggler, trooper, bounty hunter and agent can be dark, light, or neutral. sith are evil and dark side makes sense for them, jedi are the protectors of justice and only lightside makes since for them. the rest ar only human and as such can be a mix of anything imo

having said that i can't wait to play a darkside jedi, i want to see if i get red eyes when i reach dark lv 5

Most of the Darth Bane stuff shows how Bane feels about things, just because a character says something doesn't mean it's true.

lol have you even read the series? I'm about to reread the series for the fourth time, and I can tell you that bane's interpretation of power and the darkside IS THE ESTABLISHED AUTHORITY ON THIS SUBJECT. again, he does not merely rant about meaningless subjects, BUT HE ESTABLISHES THE RULE OF TWO AND A PRECEDENT FOR ALL FUTURE SITH. there is no other way to interpret the darkside, and light sith fundamentally do not have access to the greater powers of pure darkside adherents. Again, read the example i provided and actually read the books.

Most people seem to misinterpret dark siders as being raving 5 year olds killing things willy nilly. Yes, i would expect someone who hasn't actually read any of the eu to believe this interpretation. But no, the dark side is not that simple. True darksiders completely unleash themselves to their emotions, the most powerful emotions being hate and vengeance (though love and other passions play their role in the order too).

lol have you even read the series? I'm about to reread the series for the fourth time, and I can tell you that bane's interpretation of power and the darkside IS THE ESTABLISHED AUTHORITY ON THIS SUBJECT. again, he does not merely rant about meaningless subjects, BUT HE ESTABLISHES THE RULE OF TWO AND A PRECEDENT FOR ALL FUTURE SITH. there is no other way to interpret the darkside, and light sith fundamentally do not have access to the greater powers of pure darkside adherents. Again, read the example i provided and actually read the books.

His point is: Sith precedes Darth Bane. Darth Bane is not infallible. The Rule of Two is just another interpretation of the subject matter, popularity notwithstanding.

Edited by Writetyper

Most people seem to misinterpret dark siders as being raving 5 year olds killing things willy nilly. Yes, i would expect someone who hasn't actually read any of the eu to believe this interpretation. But no, the dark side is not that simple. True darksiders completely unleash themselves to their emotions, the most powerful emotions being hate and vengeance (though love and other passions play their role in the order too).

1. Who's to say that hate and vengeance are the most powerful emotions?

2. Have you seen the vast majority of Dark Side options in this game? Every battle, nearly every situation, becomes a net loss for the Empire, with nothing gained that could contribute to the war effort.

In the Sith Warrior storyline, the only DS option I believed to be in the best interests for everyone was

killing Darth Baras. And that was after almost letting him live.