BW Please remove the gear turn-in requirement (EWH)

Antipodes

This subject has been posted a few times, but it isn't getting enough traction. Very few issues that aren't bugs are changed on the PTR, so I want to get this out early.

Remove the requirement to turn in the previous tier's gear piece for the newest tier.

An example of this requirement is purchasing a WH chest requiring a BM chest, and EWH weapon requiring a WH weapon.

The main problem is that the stats keep getting swapped each tier. If the *type* of stats remained constant, I wouldn't have any complaints.

Force-Mystic:

WH: surge + power

http://www.torhead.com/item/3XHdtfk/war-hero-force-mystics-lightsaber

EWH: alacrity + power

http://www.torhead.com/item/1VMTExm/elite-war-hero-force-mystics-lightsaber

Force-Master:

WH: crit + alacrity

http://www.torhead.com/item/3jxdP3X/war-hero-force-masters-lightsaber

EWH: power + surge

http://www.torhead.com/item/8i4uji2/elite-war-hero-force-masters-lightsaber

I had to completely re-buy all of the BM set on my Sage just to get the right stats on WH. Do not make me re-buy a complete set of WH just to get the right stats on EWH.

Edited by Antipodes

or just rip the mods and hand in the shell...

How is that going to help when I have the WH Force-Mystic's Lightsaber (power + surge) and want the EWH Force-Master's Lightsaber (power + surge)?

In order to get the mods I want... I have to buy the other WH saber just to exchange it.

Edited by Antipodes

This is the single most irritating aspect of gear in this game for both PvP and PvE. To be frank, I firmly believe that it is being done intentionally by whoever is doing their gear optimization as a means to keep everything as confusing and convoluted as possible. This is a no-brainer easy fix and there is NO excuse for it to still be this way almost a year after this game has released.

Get a clue, Bioware/EA. Changing stats on individual gear items every time you move to a new gear level is stupid and an unnecessary time waster for players. It isn't fun and it makes you look look either completely inept or completely masochistic.

im a go with that the ewh gear, (Armor) had its stuff swaped around to, and will even out and be normal again once there out, but there not yet.

Though I agree with removing gear turn in or atlest reducing the price of WH armor by 50% and EWH by 50%. as of now it just to much

• 1 month later...

Bump now that 1.6 is on the horizon and likely to include the new WZ and gear tier.

Please remove do one of the following for Elite War Hero gear:

1) Remove the requirement to turn in the previous gear tier.

2) The requirement can be fulfilled with similar pieces ( EWH Force Mystic requirement can be WH Force Master/Master/Stalker/Survivor).

3) Keep the stat types constant from on their to the next (i.e. if a piece has power/surge, the next tier should not be crit/alacrity).

Easiest 'fix' would be simple: turn in any WH piece for the same slot to get the EWH piece - so any chest will get you EWH Stalker's, for example. That way the musical stats won't matter quite so much (will still mess with set bonus) and the side effect will be that people can swap specs with out too much pain in re-gearing.

Easiest 'fix' would be simple: turn in any WH piece for the same slot to get the EWH piece - so any chest will get you EWH Stalker's, for example. That way the musical stats won't matter quite so much (will still mess with set bonus) and the side effect will be that people can swap specs with out too much pain in re-gearing.

Yes this would make much more sense. The gear NEEDS to have a previous tier attachment to it, otherwise people would skip right to the last tier. the whole point of the requirement is to keep some sort of gear progression.

I also wouldn't mind having gear tied to specific Valor ranks again either.

This is the single most irritating aspect of gear in this game for both PvP and PvE. To be frank, I firmly believe that it is being done intentionally by whoever is doing their gear optimization as a means to keep everything as confusing and convoluted as possible. This is a no-brainer easy fix and there is NO excuse for it to still be this way almost a year after this game has released.

Get a clue, Bioware/EA. Changing stats on individual gear items every time you move to a new gear level is stupid and an unnecessary time waster for players. It isn't fun and it makes you look look either completely inept or completely masochistic.

I disagree. in PvE, you get a token, and can turn that in for any class weapon/armor that you choose (for the specified slot). in PvP, you are stuck with the same armor/weapon tree. this wouldn't be an issue if the morons didn't keep changing the stats on every tier, but they did. so you end up needing to buy the bm eliminator cannon to end up with the ideal wh eliminator cannon. but on no! look: the elite wh medic cannon is actually better for your spec than the elite wh eliminator cannon. guess what? you have to grind out a whole new wh medic cannon to trade in for that ewh medic cannon. that's asinine. there will probably be a cartel purchase to fix it in the next patch. :rolleyes:

Actually, the easiest would be #1 (no requirement) because it wouldn't require any additional coding. AFAIK there are no items with conditional turn-in requirements without massively cluttering the item list with multiple listings.

I'm fine with either though.

Creating an exceptionally long gear grind to min/max is their idea of "end game content".

I honestly think it's intentional.

I'm fine with the grind and I think the augment system is creating a larger gap (most people won't augment Recruit or BM gear).

To clarify, I'm not opposed to the progression itself, but the way that the stat types change from tier to tier for classes with multiple sets. An example is in the original post of me having to buy a second set of WH weapons just to get the desired EWH weapon.

Edited by Antipodes

Actually, the easiest would be #1 (no requirement) because it wouldn't require any additional coding. AFAIK there are no items with conditional turn-in requirements without massively cluttering the item list with multiple listings.

The issue here would be that everyone would skip the earlier tiers. Whether or not that is desireable is another argument, but that is what would happen. Since PvE progression doesn't have this sort of turn-in nonsense, I'm not sure why PvP does, but oh well.

The issue here would be that everyone would skip the earlier tiers. Whether or not that is desireable is another argument, but that is what would happen. Since PvE progression doesn't have this sort of turn-in nonsense, I'm not sure why PvP does, but oh well.

There HAS to be some sort of "tier lock" of sorts. In PvE, generally you have to run the highest level of content to get the highest level of gear, which typically also means you need to have the previous tier(s) of gear in order to run said highest tier of content. In PvP, there is no "highest level". If they remove the previous gear requirement, they need to then return the gear to requiring a certain Valor level to be able to purchase the gear.

Creating an exceptionally long gear grind to min/max is their idea of "end game content".

I honestly think it's intentional.

That actually is the intention. Along with this terrible idea you are also faced with the ridiculous costs associated with removing mods. Working to earn commendations to get gear i am fine with, having to trade the like item from the previous tier as well is poor design with little or no thought behind it as it restricts what you can purchase. In most cases the 'upgrade' you are gaining is anything but because it is so poorly modded, you end up having to grind yet more commendations to gain another item with the mods you actually want and then have to pay to remove them. Who thought this would be fun and rewarding? What a moron.

I do agree with the constant changing of stats on the same gear sets as the tiers go up is totally stupid. It makes no sense. It would be much easier to develop to simply make the next set of gear simply a 5%-10% upgrade over the previous tier, same stats, and be done with it.

Well said. Couldn't agree more. I understand there needs to be some kind of process in which to earn a reward but clearly this is not the way to do it. It feels awkward, frustrating and does not feel in anyway shape or form like a reward, plain and simply annoying and out of place. Armorings being tied to a certain slot would be the next on my list, again I understand the need for a process to earn rewards but this again is not the way to do it. Buying 1 Armor piece(For example WH Boots) several times over (5-7 pieces for some classes) just to remove 1 measly Enhancement to optimize gear is preposterous. Find a different way to engage your players in a rewarding and sensible grind, I'll admit the current system is better than the Champion bag system we previously had, which was nothing short of terrible but it still feels awkward.

Edited by LeonHawkeye

They just need to modify the turn in requirement. So for example any light armor can be turned in for another other piece of light armor that fits the same slot. Better yet, do away with the armor shells and sell the rest instead. This way you can mix and match as you desire and just have to provide your own armor shell. Then when you want to upgrade you exchange the individual parts.