Mission discoveries – is this how they work?

panjakrejn

I’ve just discovered (no pun intended) about Mission Discoveries in SWTOR, and I’ve been trying to piece together how they work – is this correct:

* There is one for each grade, for each non-crafting crew skill, making 10 x 8 = 80 possible MD’s

* One you know one, say Grade 2 Diplomacy, you can’t learn another one for the same skill and grade while it is on your list.

* THEY ARE CONSUMABLE, NOT PERMANENT. Once you actually RUN the mission, it is consumed and you no longer have it. [Doesn’t this make pursuing MD’s pointless? I mean, if they were repeatable, I could collect them all over time and use them, but this way they are fairly ignorable, aren’t they?]

* Of course, once an MD is consumed, you can *then* learn it again.

* They yield a good amount of mats AND lockboxes.

* The take much longer to run than your normal missions.

* They appear at the bottom of your mission list for that grade, rather than at the top as their yield might suggest.

Is this all correct? The fact that they seem to be consumable, which was the last fact I only found out as I was WRITING this post, seems to make pursuing them utterly pointless, and makes me not only not want to pursue them, but makes me want to delete them when I get them. After all, they by and large don’t seem to be going for millions on the GTN. What a let down, I had originally thought they were discover and keep type deal, rats.

Is this all correct?

Hey, if you don't want them, there's always someone who will, especially the high-end ones.

In my experience, Mission Discoveries for the "Gathering Skills" typically yield the equivalent of four Rich missions at the same grade (two of each material type) even without crits - that frees up crew skill slots to craft more or to do even more missions.

Unless they changed it while I wasn't looking, the Mission Discoveries for the "Mission Skills" will always drop purple materials, crit or no crit... obviously they drop more on a crit.

You are correct that you can usually only have one copy of each Mission Discovery running at once. I'm not sure if the "Diplomacy (Dark)" and "Diplomacy (Light)" missions are still separate drops since 5.0

Just my opinion, but your reaction is kind of harsh: they are consumed, they are not worth as much as you would like/think they should be to others, therefore they are completely worthless and should just be destroyed. really?

It takes a little time and effort to post them on the GTN, and they will all eventually sell, and IMO some credits are better than no credits.

One of the factors I got game rich initially from crew skills because of attitude likes this.

People selling treasure hunting discoveries for like a few K when I could buy them use them and sell the mats from them for large profits.

In fact I solely only ran MD's in the end for the guaranteed crit and I managed to always have them and be getting them for much cheaper than what the material value would be to me.

I loved it when these missions had real mini-stoiries tied with them - now they are nothing but "tools to gather mats", for the hardcore crafters.

For me, the fun is gone from missions. I always loved it when once in a while got to see the mission's story ending ... but thanks to our crafting community, which apparingly didn't want any story tied to their gathering of mats, it's gone now.

One of the many nails into the coffin of SWTOR for me ...

I loved it when these missions had real mini-stoiries tied with them - now they are nothing but "tools to gather mats", for the hardcore crafters.

For me, the fun is gone from missions. I always loved it when once in a while got to see the mission's story ending ... but thanks to our crafting community, which apparingly didn't want any story tied to their gathering of mats, it's gone now.

One of the many nails into the coffin of SWTOR for me ...

what do you mean? The block of text under the title? Those still exist. I'm a founder and I do not know of any "mini-stories" other than those blocks of text. See https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By58u0ps4f7gbG0ydHgzM1lwYms/view?usp=sharing as just one example that those blocks of text that tell a story exist in grade 10.

• 1 year later...
what do you mean? The block of text under the title? Those still exist. I'm a founder and I do not know of any "mini-stories" other than those blocks of text. See https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By58u0ps4f7gbG0ydHgzM1lwYms/view?usp=sharing as just one example that those blocks of text that tell a story exist in grade 10.

He means the text that comes after the mission is completed, while you're looking at the mission reward window. I don't use mission discoveries too often but it seems missions used to have a mission completion text ending specific to the mission's story in those titles. Now it mostly says some generic thing about "x companion has completed the mission with extraordinary skill, and returned with a bonus reward!" on a critical completion.

I’ve just discovered (no pun intended) about Mission Discoveries in SWTOR, and I’ve been trying to piece together how they work – is this correct:

* There is one for each grade, for each non-crafting crew skill, making 10 x 8 = 80 possible MD’s

1-2 for each grade over 1

* One you know one, say Grade 2 Diplomacy, you can’t learn another one for the same skill and grade while it is on your list.

you can learn another if there is more than one, but not the same one, while it is in your list OR being run.

* THEY ARE CONSUMABLE, NOT PERMANENT. Once you actually RUN the mission, it is consumed and you no longer have it. [Doesn’t this make pursuing MD’s pointless? I mean, if they were repeatable, I could collect them all over time and use them, but this way they are fairly ignorable, aren’t they?]

Their value is in being equivalent to running 2x of all the highest yield missions of that grade at once.

[...]

* They appear at the bottom of your mission list for that grade, rather than at the top as their yield might suggest.

They used to appear at the top based on their skill requirement, but got bugged somewhere along the way to behave like a mission that you abandoned, placing them at the bottom

Is this all correct? The fact that they seem to be consumable, which was the last fact I only found out as I was WRITING this post, seems to make pursuing them utterly pointless, and makes me not only not want to pursue them, but makes me want to delete them when I get them. After all, they by and large don’t seem to be going for millions on the GTN. What a let down, I had originally thought they were discover and keep type deal, rats.

as a general rule they are worth ~(1k * grade + 2k), which is how much more you would pay to get the same amount of mats from missions... the time works out shorter overall as well.

Edited by Void_Singer