Perhaps Mercs Need a Jetboost ability?

Dacer

I play a marauder and it is true that Mercs - however much I just hate tracer spam - have a harder time with kiting than other ranged class like Sorcs.

So perhaps they should give them a speed boost as well so they can use it like Socs do? - Stun - Runaway.

IDK Thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is the answer. Merc/Commando dps is already lower than any of the preferred dps classes. The only way Merc/Commando can be even semi-viable is if they are shooting ALL the time. Giving them a disengage ability that takes away from the time that they can be shooting at the enemy simply makes them even less effective. Hmmm, with that taken into account, yeah, this is probably what BW will do...

I play a marauder and it is true that Mercs - however much I just hate tracer spam - have a harder time with kiting than other ranged class like Sorcs.

So perhaps they should give them a speed boost as well so they can use it like Socs do? - Stun - Runaway.

IDK Thoughts?

It would be a step in the proper direction but it wouldn't solve the problem that interrupting Grav Round/Tracer can effectly shut down your rotation because this AC is too dependant on said skills. Grav/Tracer either needs to have interrupt immunity or activation time reduction. I would go with a talent you can spec into that makes Grav/Tracer immune to interrupts and probably make Full Auto/Unload uninterrubtibe as well. The Knight/Warrior channeled skill, Master Strike, is already uninterruptible, so why not give the same to Full Auto/Unload.

The problem with dps is not so much the theoretical numbers this class can pull if left alone and played to its potential (altough it would never be as high asRage Jugg or Mara dps) but that this class is extremely susceptible to interrupts and if one happens, you're pretty much dead because you can't finish your rotation.

As for dealing with melee, Snipers are immune to Force Leap and Sorcs can Force Speed away, so Commandos would have to have some edge against melee classes. Maybe a 10 or 15 sec cooldown that gives you temporary jump immunity (something like Not One Step Backwards/Hold the Line) or just give them the already existing Rocket Boost with a shorter duration than in PvE, usable in combat of course.

The way I like to play my Commando dps is to stick to the side and back as much as possible and be as inconspicuous as possible (hide behind objects etc,). Then when an enemy group appears, start blasting them while they're fighting each other. It would be nice, however, if I could hold my own against a melee I'm targeting for a few more seconds, then run the hell away.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

:eek: I was talking to my friends today explaining it would be nice for Mercs to have an ability where their Jet Pack would be used to gain some speed.

It could work like Force Speed, but it could have a really cool animation where it lifts them off for a couple of centimeters with fire coming out of their Packs. However, they wouldn't be able to use it to get out of the pit to the goal line. :cool:

Edit: like this http://i47.tinypic.com/2w57zph.jpg

Edited by Boyana

Simple fix : make a leap/teleport kind of ability, where the merk places a target on the ground and instantly leaps/teleports there, though for huttball balance issues the player should not be able to teleport to high ground. A Simple speed buff would be ok too .. anything really, the class needs it.

Merc dps is fine, our issue is kiting. Disengage would be perfect.

MERCS can be interupted over an over all attacks that we need to buff damage or make unload proc or increase defense are channeled and I really hope BW fixes this. Kiting for a good Merc is not a problem its the fact while kiting we can spam Rapid Shots........

Edited by Philastra

Yes, let's make all the classes the same. We'll give all classes a charge, speed boost, and what the hell, stealth too. If you want to kite, play a different class. Mercs get heavy armor and heals, just stand there like Superman and pewpew everyone whilst the bullets bounce off your chest.

We need:

1. RANGED Roots (stock strike root - cut designers balls off for this)

2. instashoots on which our procs depend (charged bolts/ grav round)

3. reactive shield giving immunity to CC/snare/interrupts etc

It won't hurt PVE anyhow but would breathe new life in the class making it PLAYABLE!

That's it.

instant cast tracer missile and power shot.

bam, vast majority of merc problems solved

Not solved but close to it. Still too little utility. I play GS now, he's really a "hidden pvp god". Pure awesomeness after commando. Commando designer was really drunk or addicted, i don't know. But i really missunderstand why it's the only class without certain specific features. He can't do anything but deal damage. He can't def nodes, he can't support, he can't debuff foes, he can't heal while fighting. (well gunnery can a bit now, thx for this but it didn't change a thing) So, i just don't understand his role on the battlefield.

BAM we'd be the most overpowered ranged dps in the game. I don't want to be UP or OP, I just want to be P.

and tell me how that would make us OP?

we wouldnt gain any actual damage output. the only difference would be that when fleeing for our lives from a mara/pt/assassin we would actual be able to put up a fight.

right now, if a melee/hybrid melee enemy decides they want to kill me, there is not a lot i can do to stop them. i can try to run away and pull them out of the fight, but if they dont make several major mistakes i will die.

we wouldnt gain any actual damage output. the only difference would be that when fleeing for our lives from a mara/pt/assassin we would actual be able to put up a fight.

right now, if a melee/hybrid melee enemy decides they want to kill me, there is not a lot i can do to stop them. i can try to run away and pull them out of the fight, but if they dont make several major mistakes i will die.

Those who say that our damage is huge are simply trolls or low lvl noobs, so don't pay attention.

I think most would agree that an escape would be great for merc dps (at least give it to arsenal). I'd be fine with a jump to friendly target ability. Would make the class more fun to play. Add some utility.

But as others have said, a big problem is interrupting tracer. A proc mechanic could be added to allow for non interruptible tracer. I envision a way to allow up to two stacks, proc not more more than once every 5 seconds (or so). What could proc the stacks? Maybe a few ways... on crits, when using shield, etc.

Because we'd **** any other ranged class since our attacks are instant, and theirs isn't. Charged bolts being instant would make assault commandos in line with pre 1.4 assault vanguards, and everyone considers their dps OP.

It also doesn't solve our problem of being unable to escape melee.

Edited by Smashbrother

Yes, let's make all the classes the same. We'll give all classes a charge, speed boost, and what the hell, stealth too. If you want to kite, play a different class. Mercs get heavy armor and heals, just stand there like Superman and pewpew everyone whilst the bullets bounce off your chest.

Saing merks have heavy armor so they are fine, you prove how clueless as to how the game works you are. OOO I have heavy armor and its 5% better than medium armor, its soo good against all those attacks that bypass all armor anyway. I would so much rather have medium armor and 5 defensive cooldowns along with an aoe mezz on my merk than useless heavy armor.

Because we'd **** any other ranged class since our attacks are instant, and theirs isn't. Charged bolts being instant would make assault commandos in line with pre 1.4 assault vanguards, and everyone considers their dps OP.

It also doesn't solve our problem of being unable to escape melee.

Charged bolts on a 5 second cooldown. And give merks a slow ability like most classes have (force slow for example).

Edited by SajPl

I'm a fan of a jetpack ability that takes us backwards and away from a fight. We need to get out at range. Pair the ability with a simultaneous rapid shots (looks like Jango jetting away from Obi-Wan). Rapid shots does minimal damage and offers a slight heat cooling. Make the jetpack ability instant-cast or it's pointless.

I'm all for an instant-cast tracer missile. So many of our abilities depend on the heat stacks from TM and making it instant means it can't be interrupted. Leave everything else cast so that the community doesn't scream that we're over-powered. Our big abilities (rail shot, power shot, etc.) would still be on timers.

A sentinel Force leaps at you. You utilize your jetpack ability and fly back and out of the jedi's melee range. You land, fire off one or two tracer missiles for the heat stacks (three if you've got the time), and hit rail shot (cast). The sentinel may get to you before the rail shot is fully cast or not. His Force leap is still on cool down so he's got to run to you.

In the above scenario, the bounty hunter has a chance to survive, perhaps even win. This makes the bounty hunter competitive.

The only way the bounty hunter would be overpowered is if the jetpack ability had a 0.0 second cooldown.