Graphics card/system question

MichaelHenderson

I recently came back to the game after being gone a couple of years. I've noticed lately that I'm getting low fps especially in pvp, typically around 15 or so. I'm using a Geforce GT 620 and have 6gb of ram. I'm not at my computer now but I believe it's an Intel 3.1ghz.

I've read that this game relies heavily on the cpu so I'm not sure what's causing the low fps. I've turned the game settings down and closed what I can in the background but it hasn't made that much difference. Will more ram help or do I bite the bullet and just get a new system?

I'd hold off for now. With the recent expansion it's introduced alot of FPS issues. I never used to drop below 50fps on the highest settings. But since the update i can turn the settings to very high or very low and still crawl at 10 - 20 in built up areas and PvP :confused: .

I prefer dual cores to quads,cheaper and most games only use two anyhow.

I have a AMD dual core 3.1 with 4 gigs of Ram and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 and run the game in full bloom ect and it runs very smooth,my PC has wIn 7 and just the bare bones and nothing else though aside from SWTOR i built it myself for about 600$ (i had a case leftover),my other PC is Intel and i use for all other stuff.

I bet you can build a PC for about 400$ now that runs SWTOR pretty good imo.

Edited by Sathid

I recently came back to the game after being gone a couple of years. I've noticed lately that I'm getting low fps especially in pvp, typically around 15 or so. I'm using a Geforce GT 620 and have 6gb of ram. I'm not at my computer now but I believe it's an Intel 3.1ghz.

I've read that this game relies heavily on the cpu so I'm not sure what's causing the low fps. I've turned the game settings down and closed what I can in the background but it hasn't made that much difference. Will more ram help or do I bite the bullet and just get a new system?

the nvidia 620 is doing you no favors. if you have been out for two years you missed the glory that is the FPS crush of 2.0 and issues with 3.0.

#1 thing Is to turn down the shadow complexity. I found that with my 4core 4690k running 4.5ghz with 16gb ram and a 4gb 760-evga card that turning on the shadow complexity crushes the system on planets with trees or lots of shadow effects. turns out the shadow system is NOT accelerated in this build of the BETA hero engine swtor uses.

I agree with the guy above. Wait a bit and see what people learn about what works best. I read somewhere that most people agree that Intel chips are ideal, but I am not 100% sure.

I went from a full 6 core (not the FAKE 6-core fx-6xxx cpus) thuban 1100t running 4ghz with 16gb ram and a 760-nv-galaxy card to a new 4690k cpu with two less cores at 4.5ghs and it DESTROYS the performance as compared to the previous 6-core-6fpu thuban chip.

#1 issue i saw with the AMD rig was stuttering from the 32bit engine swapping textures in WZ,raids and FP... I have no proof but I deeply suspect that the beta hero engine was not optimized to handle most new amd hardware since the Beta was published before swtor was finalized and shipped.

Edited by captpickles