Out of curiosity: Is WoW good?

Rebamcfan

Decided to see what opinions people might have here. I've been thinking if I should give World of Warcraft a try out of curiosity but I'm not sure. I'm trying out the starter edition that expires after 10 (?) days and the game looks cool but I'm bit hesitant since I would need to buy the subscribtion as well as the game, and the expansion, if I have understood correctly, that seems to cost lot? How have you founded it, good, medicore, bad etc?

Also, I'm not familiar with the story and lore of the Warcraft universe, if I were to wish to RP, is there a place where I should look? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately you will never experience the magic of playing it for the first time with everyone else, making good friends and going on adventures. WoW today is a vastly different game from when it was released, it's very easy to get to max level now. The adventure and wonder is gone. I played it about two years ago and got to max level without talking to another person. I quickly unsubscribed.

It's different playing an MMO since day one and playing one 10 years after it was made. Maybe i'm just older and busy more, but i myself couldn't sink as many hours into a game as a 14 year old could.

Unfortunately you will never experience the magic of playing it for the first time with everyone else, making good friends and going on adventures. WoW today is a vastly different game from when it was released, it's very easy to get to max level now. The adventure and wonder is gone. I played it about two years ago and got to max level without talking to another person. I quickly unsubscribed.

It's different playing an MMO since day one and playing one 10 years after it was made. Maybe i'm just older and busy more, but i myself couldn't sink as many hours into a game as a 14 year old could.

I enjoyed it up until Cataclysm and I lost interest when that expansion cam out.

I was just playing wow for the last month, ill be honest when I say its OCD Hell. the urge to back quest and fill in the blanks is insane. your looking at somewhere around 20'000 or so quests in all. also everything feels gated. new content seems to be hinged on your hero's for grinding missions and a very long grind of your artifact weapon. if you like to grind then that is wow.

old world and legion are like day and night and when I mean old world anything pre Northrend. I tried to get into it but I couldn't take it anymore. so I am back here looking forward to some casual gaming. at least here you have a choice either Que for PvP or FP's and get nearly instant in some cases a pop, or solo story to your hearts content. At level 100+ in wow wait minimum 35+ min for DPS Que, cause if you roll a tank or heals you better have all the Add On's plus be prepared for whining and ************... Ugh.... :(

Edited by CKNORTH

I started on wow. I found it epically boring grinding quest after quest. Don't get me wrong I love their Halloween/Oktoberfest activities but it's a lot of go here. Kill 25 x and 5 big x. Kill lead x. Get plans. Return. Go to new area. Rinse and repeat. Gets old for what 90 levels? Probably more than that now.

I played WoW from Burning Crusade through Mists of Pandaria, and on the whole it was fun. SWTOR is very much like WoW but smaller, and a few years behind in terms of what the devs are doing with the game.

Going from Pandaria to SWTOR just before 2.0 hit was sort of taking a time portal back to Burning Crusade, but with lightsabers.

For PvP and Hard Mode dungeons and any raid you will be expected to know the basics of your class, have addons for a functional UI (Blizzard allows mods, and in the past having a Curse.com account for UI mod updates was almost mandatory [there were free options for Curse, but I haven't kept track, don't even know if it's still active]), and know the encounters at least enough to not stand in the fire.

I could probably pick up WoW again pretty easily, but I had a stable of basically every class at max lvl in Pandaria, banked loot and gear, etc. Starting new, would be a somewhat daunting task if you wanted to go through all of the old lore content.

That said, if you don't care about doing old content in order, I'd recommend finding a casual guild full of alt-a-holics who are happy to teach newcomers (and have a similar playing schedule to you). They'll be able to teach you the game and show you a lot of old content as you level your main beside them as they level their alt.

WoW also has a wider variety of crafting and minigames than SWTOR, and they're better maintained.

WoW is basically what SWTOR wishes it could be on a lot of levels. It's also a big time sink and fairly expensive.

You might try a brief subscription period to get through all the old expansions, and if you're still having fun when you hit Cata or Pandaria then go ahead and buy Legion. That way you don't have to sink more than $15 into to get a more extensive sampling of if the game is something you want to buy fully into or not.

I made the switch from SWTOR to WoW and haven't looked back.

I've learned it is popular to hate on WoW, at least from my subjective experience that is what I have found. As I talked to people over the years I got a lot of feedback similar to what is above. Given that BioWare has completely failed to produce any significant content for this game I decided to try out FF, ESO, and WoW to see which would best fit me. Because of the feedback I had received I was hesitant to try WoW but did so anyways.

After testing all of them I settled with WoW and I'd have to say my experience has been a very positive one.

First, as I touched on WoW has something this game doesn't: content Now people are quick to point out it is a much older game, which is true, but I'm speaking just for Legion. Since late August there have been almost 20 dungeons, 3 raids, specific and unique class stories and areas, 5 different zones to explore, and a new class, most of which launched with Legion at that time. Additionally there have been some solid updates along the way including 7.2 which launched today. Say what you want about any game, particularly an MMO, but if the content is lacking, and I mean that in multiple ways, then it is going to be a struggle to stay with the game. I find that Legion gives me personally a solid balance of solo and group content.

Second, and this was a bit of a surprise to me, I found the story to be pretty good. Now before everyone starts screaming about cut scenes and presentation, yeah it isn't the same. I too like the cut scenes SWTOR has provided us with and it is more "work" to follow the story in Legion. However, if you're willing to do it the story is quite good, and the scenes that are there are well done.

Third, for me personally the success I find with a game, especially a multiplayer game/MMO, has a lot to do with the people I play it with. I have been fortunate enough to find a great group of folks to play with.

I did find my transition to be somewhat difficult and I still miss elements of SWTOR, but without the content, and without a commitment from EA/BioWare, why should I invest any more into this game? WoW gives me a ton to do with a solid presentation and an experienced developer in Blizzard....and yes I know people with scoff at that, but I am making this determination on my own accord out of what I have seen from Blizzard and not someones experience from 6 years ago.

Wow has it issues. Things like RNG, bugs, and design will at times drive me nuts. However, I would still encourage someone interested to give it a try and approach with an objective mind as possible. You really have nothing to lose, if you don't like it then, so be it, it certainly isn't for everyone. However, take the negative feedback and my positive feedback all with a grain of salt. The only way you may ever answer your own question is to give it a go.

If you need any help let me know I'd be happy to assist where I can.

BTW, I really liked FF as well. That is a cool game. If WoW doesn't fit you and you still want an MMO...give it a go.

I played SWTOR primarily because of the SW factor, rather than the genre.

So WOW doesn't really have much appeal to me.

However, MMO's are primarily about the people you play with, so if there are good people to get with, any game can be good, and if there aren't, no matter the game, it might not be good.

I played WoW from one year into launch to and through Cataclysm...roughly 7 years.

My story is...

I had been playing EverQuest (EQ1) and quit that game with the Prophecy of Ro expansion when I fell a little behind and my hardcore raiding guild refused to help me get caught up. I was in no mood to do another MMO but a friend and co-worker had just gotten into WoW, and convinced me to install it and try it. The BIGGEST differences and the things that sucked me in were:

• EQ1 you HAD to group to accomplish anything. This meant having to dedicate several hours to any given play session because you had to be willing to sit in a hub and LFG. But in WoW you could solo and make progress. And there was a semblance of a story. Quest NPCs were clearly marked, they explained what to do, you did it, and moved on. I could login for 20 minutes, do a few quests, logout and feel like I had accomplished something
  • EQ1 was not balanced very well: THE healer was the cleric class, THE tank was the warrior class; other classes could tank and heal but they were the best in those roles...so much so that they were completely worthless as DPS (i.e. in a time when 500DPS was considered average, a cleric going all out would pull 110DPS). OTOH, WoW introduced skill trees and specializations. The priest was a good healer, but could also DPS with the right spec, but even in the heal spec their damage was decent.
  • lastly no hardcore raiding pressure. My friend's guild was family friendly, do what you want, no pressure to do anything other than hang out and have a good time. That was EXACTLY what I needed after four years of hardcore raiding. I did eventually get back into progression raiding, but there was still no pressure to be world first anymore :)

During Cataclysm though, SWTOR's release date was announced, I pre-purchased, and logged in day 1. BUT there was still a draw to WoW, so I put SWTOR aside and returned to WoW. But three months later, I realized that I had gone as far as I could in WoW without investing more time to playing and more specifically hardcore raiding and I DID NOT want to do that again.

That is when I dropped WoW and moved into SWTOR.

During my time playing WoW, I tried many of the other MMOs, but none held my interest like WoW. I have been tempted to go back and check it out, but in the end I don't because I love Star Wars more than Azeroth :p.

PSA: Don't touch WoW with a ten foot pole right now. 7.2 screwed everything. if you like a hellish grind worse than EQ1 ever was. then you might actually like the new patch. but as it is now all mobs in the expansions open world Scale to ILvl. so mobs that use to be faceroll are now upwards equal or tougher than you, and if you get adds... you are dead.

Sounds like SWTOR. It's lost the wonder. Only part that stands out now is the story.

That being said, I had some instant characters, but felt like starting fresh level 1. (Did rollover my gold, but thats it).

So far, leveling seems more balanced than SWTOR, and I don't out-level a zone too quickly. Running dungeons causes some quests to out-level, but otherwise, it's not bad.

I will agree, however, that it is lonely in the low-level areas. I passed maybe one person in Stormwind the other day when I went to the auction house there before going back to Darkshore. Otherwise, the only other people I see are in the dungeons. It's a sad, sad day. I remember when they were so crowded.

Good is subjective and based on personal preference really.

I stopped playing WoW when Swtor came out, tried WoW when Legion came out. I hated it, didn't even like playing it so I canceled my sub after a month and came back to Swtor.

Every other MMO I've tried to play I can't get into. I've played Aion, Linease II, Rift, Runes of Magic, Perfect World for example, I just quit and come back to Swtor.

PSA: Don't touch WoW with a ten foot pole right now. 7.2 screwed everything. if you like a hellish grind worse than EQ1 ever was. then you might actually like the new patch. but as it is now all mobs in the expansions open world Scale to ILvl. so mobs that use to be faceroll are now upwards equal or tougher than you, and if you get adds... you are dead.

Lol, yea its made quite the uproar in our multi gaming guild. The WoW affiliate members arent happy right now. I say its about time they added a little challenge to the game other than just the raids.

Lol, yea its made quite the uproar in our multi gaming guild. The WoW affiliate members arent happy right now. I say its about time they added a little challenge to the game other than just the raids.

yeah seems however Blizz is fixing it, so who knows... :)

Decided to see what opinions people might have here. I've been thinking if I should give World of Warcraft a try out of curiosity but I'm not sure. I'm trying out the starter edition that expires after 10 (?) days and the game looks cool but I'm bit hesitant since I would need to buy the subscribtion as well as the game, and the expansion, if I have understood correctly, that seems to cost lot? How have you founded it, good, medicore, bad etc?

Also, I'm not familiar with the story and lore of the Warcraft universe, if I were to wish to RP, is there a place where I should look? Thanks in advance!

I play WoW as my main game and SW as a break. WoW is good if you find the right server and guild to play with. If you (didnt read whole thread) Lightbringer is a good pve server where I play and if still interested pm me here and I will give you my battle tag name to where you can add me as a friend and i will help you out, get you into my guild and help with any questions

This is a totally incorrect statement. Mobs did scale when the patch came out. They reverted most of the changes only (at last check) the health scaling was left in. The mobs themselves only scaled 1% and were never equal or tougher then you. In fact til the ilvl scaling was mentioned on the forums I didn't even notice a change before it was reverted.

The level of the mobs on Broken Isles scale with your level so you do not out level a zone anymore and still have quests but thats been since the start and they were still faceroll

I played WoW from last year of Vanilla through WotLK, made like 4 worgen because that starting area is really just a blast, and then quit. I really hated that all my land routes that i used for years were now worthless. Flying blah blah blah. You cant fly till what, 58-60? I didn't look or touch WoW from Cata-WoD.

I heard about Legion and remembered my BC days, got nostalgic and bought it. you can hit 100 in about a week with heirlooms. I didn't have any complaints until I hit the end game zone S--. S--- is a whole zone that is rep gated. Just doing the quest line wont give you the quest you need. you have to grind the dailies for a week or two each time you need the next rep bracket. Fine, I don't like that but fine, I'll do it. But they were capping the rep you could earn for that faction at launch through,like december. So i said **** it, I'll grind the heroics and do the raid when it comes out and the mythics when they launch. Getting a decent raid group for a new raid if you aren't in a guild....i left and came back to swtor.

Once I was done with the swtor story and had my char somewhat geared, I decided to go back to WoW and finish up the last area. I was there since late Jan. boy did the ilvls jump like crazy. my rogue is sitting at 889 now, but im back to swtor because the new patch is time gated once again. I hate that crap.

if it matters, i've played WoW, EQ, Lineage2, Aion, Warhammer online, FF13, FF15(w/e the new one is. it's VERY slow going, and a ton of running around for no reason.) DC universe(that launch day was rainbow fuel), Blade&Soul(a very pretty game, but you need a fairly decent comp to run it smoothly maxed out. and ***** jiggle)and im probably missing a few.

P.S.-I'd look up what your artifact is going to do once you get it, some of them are just horrible. like the affl lock.

Decided to see what opinions people might have here. I've been thinking if I should give World of Warcraft a try out of curiosity but I'm not sure.

It's not a game you try. Will take you a couple months just to get to where the fun starts. And then you're expected to put in a lot of hours - more than SWTOR.

There's fantasy races and lots of war.

JK. WC1-3 have a lot of story. But it's relatively basic. WoW is not a RP game.

Want to know what's better than Wow or any other MMO currently on the table? watching the earth crack, or paint dry. water freezing or boiling... those four choices are choice entertainment.

not to totally go off the wall in a rant. but this game and many more need to find why there actually making games and I think the reroll needs to start at the top of the EA food chain. hmm maybe a nice letter to Disney might help.... ;)